We are in for a difficult season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We won't win everygame
We won't lose every game
We won't win more than we lose

But we'll be fine. I think we'll win 11 draw 8 lose 16. & I'll be fine with that.

When have I ever done a knee-jerk after a game apart from Villa?!

I welcome people on here to state alternative opinions even those who I disagree with thoroughly. I just don't take kindly to unfunny memes :D
You came to the wrong place if you expected anything other than to be jumped on though. I see your point but your timing sucks ;)

I remember out first game back in the Championship v Boro away. First half we looked like rabbits in the headlights but gradually grew into the game and Had a perfectly good goal ruled off-side when it wasn't so lost 1-0. After that we gradually over the next 3 or 4 games, adapted to the Championship and the rest is history. I wouldn't be surprised if today is a bit of a wake up call for the players and also a realization that the standard is a level or two up from the Championship but I am confident that they will adjust to the PL as will CW/AK. I still don't think CW knows his best team and there will be some chopping and changing to find it. Sounds like we were much better after L Freeman, Ravel and Oli came on today.

May I go a step further and say today was a complete irrelevance. just like any friendly game?

They tell us NOTHING.

It’s a run out for the team. A bit of fitness. A chance to look at a few players and formations, but ultimately it’s irrelevant.

Which is why I didn’t bother going to any friendly.

And it’s why I’m not predicting gloom for the forthcoming season on the strength of today’s irrelevant performance and result.

I think we'll be alright because if Wilder sees a problem developing he'll address it. It's clear this time at least the SUFC hierarchy are making a determined effort to establish the club in the Premier League. All this talk of having a great side in the Championship if we are relegated is negative bollocks. Possibly we have neglected the defence in the transfer window but we needed the attacking players CW has bought. And our defence has hitherto been our strongest feature. But I think we are on the verge of of something very special. Go with it.

This is something myself and a very small minority have been saying, if not whispering, on here since we got promoted. This post is in no-way related to today's result, although hopefully that will provide a reality check. We haven't really had any proper tests for pre-season which has been disappointing. Bournemouth have played WBA, Brentford Lazio and Lyon. We lost to Burton and Stade de Reims, and beat non-league Chesterfield and Northampton. Hardly inspiring!

It's easy to be positive. I could post 'I'm so excited we're really going to surprise people this year UTB!' and get 100+ likes and we all feel good about ourselves but it doesn't reflect the truth, of where I see it, where we are at. This does not mean that or others are in any way less supportive of the team cheering them on. I also don't want to be a downer or that terrible word 'slasher', but it seems like anyone who is skeptical is labelled one so so be it.

Those who will 'play the poster not the post' will remember my overreaction to the Villa result. I was wrong then and was delighted to be and I hope I'll be wrong again. We have come so very far so why not further? Well as I see it what Wilder has done is taken a paddle boat across the Atlantic ocean and has paid for an engine and is intent on taking it to the moon. Honestly if we stay up it will have to go down as one of football's greatest achievements.

This is not a dig or criticism of anyone and I wouldn't have managed things any differently (apart from not signing Mousett the Bournemouth reject and arranging better pre-season fixtures). The club strategy makes perfect sense, they are smart buys if we go down genius buys if we they are good enough to help us stay up.

If we do struggle badly all I hope is that we stick with Wilder no matter what. Certain players will not make the leap up. Others won't settle in as we'd like. This is a tough league, just ask yourself how many of our players would get into any other PL squads let alone first team? Football isn't won on paper, as demonstrated by our promotion. But there is a limit and I really fear this will be a bridge too far and many will be disappointed. Do we really expect Lundstram to be the midfield answer in the PL?!

So just a note to say, I recommend we expect the worse and hope for the best and not overreact to bad results (I know I'm hypocritical) and manage our expectations. I remember when we got thrashed by Middlesborough last year. Fortunately Wilder saw that Evans wasn't working and got rid and then brought Norwood in, this year we don't have that luxury with the window closing much earlier.

We should all be excited for next season but I just felt this needed saying to 'counter-balance' what's being said. Now of course... ;)

UTB

Fucking hell.

We lost in a pre season friendly a week before the prem starts
Our players are focused on next week.
Subcontiousally not getting injured kicks in.
We played a team that beat PSG a few months ago
A team that's reached 2 European cup finals while trying out different systems of play. The result was of zero consequence.

We go to Bournemouth with a better squad than I can remember .fit younger and full of belief.

Losing today has no bearing on our future
It counts for nought

Nice to see the megs are out of their shell ready to feast on any slight doubt that may arise. Thought some had disappeared for good.
So good to have their opinions which they hold back in the mix. Would be overly positive without them.

I salute them with their rallying call let's blame Lundstram

Last edited:
This is something myself and a very small minority have been saying, if not whispering, on here since we got promoted. This post is in no-way related to today's result, although hopefully that will provide a reality check. We haven't really had any proper tests for pre-season which has been disappointing. Bournemouth have played WBA, Brentford Lazio and Lyon. We lost to Burton and Stade de Reims, and beat non-league Chesterfield and Northampton. Hardly inspiring!

It's easy to be positive. I could post 'I'm so excited we're really going to surprise people this year UTB!' and get 100+ likes and we all feel good about ourselves but it doesn't reflect the truth, of where I see it, where we are at. This does not mean that or others are in any way less supportive of the team cheering them on. I also don't want to be a downer or that terrible word 'slasher', but it seems like anyone who is skeptical is labelled one so so be it.

Those who will 'play the poster not the post' will remember my overreaction to the Villa result. I was wrong then and was delighted to be and I hope I'll be wrong again. We have come so very far so why not further? Well as I see it what Wilder has done is taken a paddle boat across the Atlantic ocean and has paid for an engine and is intent on taking it to the moon. Honestly if we stay up it will have to go down as one of football's greatest achievements.

This is not a dig or criticism of anyone and I wouldn't have managed things any differently (apart from not signing Mousett the Bournemouth reject and arranging better pre-season fixtures). The club strategy makes perfect sense, they are smart buys if we go down genius buys if we they are good enough to help us stay up.

If we do struggle badly all I hope is that we stick with Wilder no matter what. Certain players will not make the leap up. Others won't settle in as we'd like. This is a tough league, just ask yourself how many of our players would get into any other PL squads let alone first team? Football isn't won on paper, as demonstrated by our promotion. But there is a limit and I really fear this will be a bridge too far and many will be disappointed. Do we really expect Lundstram to be the midfield answer in the PL?!

So just a note to say, I recommend we expect the worse and hope for the best and not overreact to bad results (I know I'm hypocritical) and manage our expectations. I remember when we got thrashed by Middlesborough last year. Fortunately Wilder saw that Evans wasn't working and got rid and then brought Norwood in, this year we don't have that luxury with the window closing much earlier.

We should all be excited for next season but I just felt this needed saying to 'counter-balance' what's being said. Now of course... ;)

UTB
Mr Doom & Gloom.

UTB
FFS🙄. You’re clearly feeling positive about the new season😳. we all know it’s gonna be a hard season with some tough knocks along the way but personally I’m really looking forward to seeing my beloved blades back in the premiership after all this time away😀⚔️. Let’s just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us😀. UTMB ⚔️⚔️⚔️

UTB
xTkcECavNADSBtW36w.gif

I'm

UTB

I must have imagined Barnsley.😁

I think it is a given that a side that was in league one a couple of years ago might find the premier League a bit challenging.

I am just going to enjoy the ride.There will be many great moments this season, and also will be several negative moments as well I'm sure.

Do I think we have enough right now to be competitive and stay up? I absolutely do.But at the end of the day if we do go down we will fight to the very end.

UTB.

We're in for a tough season? ............... No shit, who would have thought !!

It's no doubt a step up and yes we probably will struggle.

But the promoted teams with a good manager and a squad with togetherness seem to have made a decent fist out of staying up in recent years. So that does give cause for some optimism!

So let's enjoy the ride, regardless of what happens. 3 years ago we'd have laughed had someone said we'd be Premier League with some of the same players who played in the League One wilderness years.

We will indeed be in for a tough season. Along with 10 or more other clubs. It's the best league in the world so it will be tough, yes.

Having said that, I would also disagree that nothin important came out of yesterdays friendly. Once Luke F, Ravel and Oli came on, there was much more optimism for the future.

When I think back to December last year, when I felt we could see a repeat of the fall away from the previous championship season, I was happy for Wilder to prove me wrong.

My optimism finally burst out all over when I saw the Leeds away game.

I'm usually a bit of a pessimist, and since I've been a blades fan for over 50 years, most of you will understand why. This my fellow Bladesmen, is the dawn of a new age. Wider will cut his teeth in the Prem this year, just like he did in the championship, first season back there. Team spirit, which is lacking at many clubs will get us so far, but once the new lads settle in and kick on, the supporters will
relax and enjoy our style of football at the top level.

Wilder will keep everyone grounded, win, lose or draw.

It’s a massive bonus that after being in the wilderness for 12 years we suddenly find ourselves in the PL
Let’s just enjoy the ride and the experience of playing something fantastic teams and some world class players
Sure we may get taken apart by a number of teams over the season, but re group and be competitive for the next game
Better than playing Southend, Scunthorpe and Rochdale every week

Stopped reading after a few lines ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Can we have a separate Forum for FMBlade1 and Woodwardfan to moan at each other while slitting their wrists.

You stopped reading after a few lines so you don't realise that the O.P. was describing the reality of our challenge in the Premier League, he's not slashing his wrists, he's managing his and our expectations so he doesn't panic when we lose a couple.

You tagged me totally unnecessarily as a 'slasher' ( for no reason to do with this thread as this is my first post on here) because you didn't read my threads properly.

As I have explained, my threads were written in the spirit of supporter/manager unity when results go against us.

It is true we have exceeded our fans' expectations in the transfer market BUT we have spent peanuts for this league. Some have spent less but look at their expenditure over a couple of years, they are where they want to be. The mood on here is that we have spent big. My honest worry is that you and other fans on here will severely criticise him if ,indeed when, we have a bad patch. Each signing is a gamble, it has to be because we have a limited budget and can't pay top wages to established players if they are selling for £20m. They earn way more already.

The irony is that for years I have been branded a 'clapper' and now I'm a 'wrist slasher'. Funny old game this Forum lark. I would not know F.M's history, don't recognise his name in that respect, but if you read the O.P. it is setting the scene not slashing. Any sign of dissent against Wilder by the fans can be misinterpreted by any new owners and that could be by Xmas.

What's depressing to me is to read all the mean-spirited replies to FM's post here. I didn't find the message as 'wrist-slashing'. Wonder if many of those having commented really read it. Also, someone did well pointing out that there's too much attacking the poster rather than the post in this thread, imo. And as FM said, a forum is a place to discuss and listen to alternative opinions, and I for one agree with that.

What's depressing to me is to read all the mean-spirited replies to FM's post here. I didn't find the message as 'wrist-slashing'. Wonder if many of those having commented really read it. Also, someone did well pointing out that there's too much attacking the poster rather than the post in this thread, imo. And as FM said, a forum is a place to discuss and listen to alternative opinions, and I for one agree with that.
You might not know but FM has a reputation along with a few others for starting negative rubbish threads when it is not merited or needed. It just seems rather strange that he posts his latest effort around a hour after a 3-1 defeat, see there is a pattern here with this poster.

No one deserves abuse for just a football related opinion but it's the timing and history of such posts which make it tiresome.

The anticipation of a negative situation to then say 'I told you so' when a) we've not even played one Prem game yet and b) surely it's best to support the team and at least wait a few games before casting judgement. Remember when people thought Egan was a waste of money after 3 games?

UTB
Are you Brian the blade in disguise?

We started last season losing both games and then went on a brilliant run. Have faith. Friendlies are a means of trying out new players and tactics. We no what we are up against but we know for sure that Wilder’s teams will give 100%. Leave the doom and gloom to those chuffs in S6 and enjoy the ride. I for one am excited about the new season

Back
Top Bottom