Watford 0 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
In a desperately disappointing game of football Watford and United had to both settle for a point each at Vicarage Road. The Blades controlled large swathes of possession but in truth never looked like scoring all game with a powder puff John Fleck shot and a Callum Robinson half volley both comfortable for Ben Foster. Watford looked desperately short of confidence and sat off United and defended for long periods despite being the home side. However, they created three golden chances and Gray, Welbeck and Dawson all should have scored with the last two being superbly saved from Dean Henderson who went from the villain to the hero inside seven days.

United named an unchanged side but had Billy Sharp back on the bench. Watford were without Etiene Capoue and also made changes up the top of the field with Deulofeu surprisingly left out and starts for Andre Gray and Danny Welbeck. Record signing Ismaila Sarr was also left on the bench.

The Blades dominated possession in the early part of the game with Baldock and Basham well advanced and Norwood dictating things. However, other than one corner that was cleared, United

Pererya somehow beat the offside trap as some of United’s defenders came out and some went back and he was in. He squared it across and with Henderson beaten Gray somehow blazed over the open goal. Whether he would have been adjudged to have been offside was another question but it was certainly a glaring miss. This had been out of keeping with United’s controlled start but more indecision saw Watford win a corner soon after.

United reasserted some control with Norwood starting to ping it about but they were not really penetrating despite winning another corner from a some patient play. After this was cleared Basham’s looping cross saw Cathcart slice towards his own goal but Foster managed to push it behind even though it was not on goal.

O’Connell had to stop Gray getting in and Egan did likewise when Welbeck threatened to gain a yard of space. At the other end Fleck then had a good run but his shot lacked power and was easily saved. Basham’s low cross was just out of the reach of McBurnie. United had the better of the game but the game went into the break goalless.

The second half saw Welbeck get the better of Egan on hallway and with no cover, the ex England man was in and had an age to decide what to do but with options to his left also, he chose to take on the shot and Henderson stood up big to divert the ball away. It was reminiscent of his save against Salah last week.

United finally had an effort of note when Lundstram’s cross was nodded down by McBurnie and Robinson hit a fierce half volley but it was straight at Foster. McBurnie was booked and then taken off with Mousset coming on. Sharp then came on for Robinson and Watford also made a flurry of changes going with two wingers up top in Sarr and Deulofeu for the ineffective Welbeck and Gray.

The game was now really lacking in quality with both teams giving it away but the other side unable to profit. Henderson pouched a cross from Deulofeu and then Sharp’s cross was cleared with Mousset not able to react. However, it did not seem like either side had the quality to break the deadlock. Lundstram was booked for stopping a breakaway and the game then entered four minutes stoppage time. Watford ended the game with another great opportunity. Mousset’s obstruction saw Watford win a free kick and the delivery was perfect from Deulofeu. Substitute Dawson seemed set to score but his header lacked direction and Henderson pushed the ball away. United went down the other end and a ball cannoned around the box but was cleared and the final whistle went straight after this.

United – The official site called it an entertaining game. It was not. It was awful to watch. On that evidence both teams would get relegated. United as good as they were in the middle third and on the ball, never looked like penetrating all game and created nothing. They also made mistakes leading to an open goal, a one on one and a free header. Watford looked turgid in and out of possession but never looked like conceding but missed some sitters. If both play like that for the remainder of the season, their will only be one relegation spot to fill. I await criticism but United today I felt in a game there for the taking missed a big chance.

We were playing the bottom side out of confidence and a team that did not engage, tackle or press and we just knocked it about (quite well I will say) but then when we got to the final third looked absolutely clueless. Some of the one touch stuff and passing we played was lovely to wwatch but we did not go anywhere of note with it. It is concerning that today we had no one who would get beyond the defence and the strikers were static and played like dustbins. Both these two have to significantly improve. They had poor service but still have to do way more. They do not hold it up, do not link and are quite slow and weak. I might get criticised for saying it, but both have been disappointments for me so far and need to improve. At the moment they look like Championship players playing in the Premier League and don’t have the speed mentally or physically to make an impact. The games are just passing them by. The midfield kept it and Norwood did his job. I felt Fleck also tried to drive a few times. Lundstram had his poorest game of the season and kept giving it away. The wing backs have been great so far but today they did not really play as well as they have done. Bash was sloppy all game but did some ok things. Egan and O’Connell were very good BUT as they have done in most games switched off at vital times and at this level one error even amongst a good performance can cost you. Today due to Watford’s awful finishing it did not. On another day it could have been 3-0 if they had taken three fairly easy chances.

It was just really odd we had complete control of large chunks of the game and looked composed and tidy but did nothing where it mattered and then at the other end defended really well without a fuss and then suddenly three times switched off. If that continues, we are going to be really struggle. I felt today carried on from last week in lots of good things in terms of comfort of possession, some nice link play and passing but if we do not create anything or look like scoring then it is a real worry. For all the cash we have spent, I would go back to Sharp and McGoldrick v Arsenal – those two ended the season with the shirts and the newcomers have not done enough to take them for me – they have not had much service but they still have to do more. Maybe 3 or 4 games of the old timers might see them do no more as well but they should be given a go. I think Mousset will continue to be used as an impact player off the bench. Both him and Sharp did more in 5 minutes each when they came on than those, they replaced did in 60-70 minutes.

It was a hard game to assess, as we did look a good side in lots of areas but football is about the two boxes and in those areas, we are not doing it at the moment which means it is going to be a struggle to win many games. We had this last time we were up at this level in terms of not having enough at the top of the field, whether it be the no 10, the two strikers or pace but we don’t have the quality/penetration at the top of the pitch. It is frustrating as there are lots of good things in the side and our shape and pattern is good. We are not getting hammered in any real phase of a game whether it be Liverpool or v Watford but unless we improve in those key areas, I think we have every right to be concerned.

We have two weeks to rest and reset. We are still doing better than some sides although and have picked up results at Chelsea and Everton we did not expect but then really needed to do better against Southampton and also today. I think we may need to tweak things now at the top of the field as those two are not looking like scoring at the moment and maybe even in midfield – Lundstram has done well but maybe it is time for a run for Freeman in front of Fleck and Norwood.

It is certainly not doom and gloom but like Wilder we need to demand more. This plucky we are doing ok and it could be worse was the sort of attitude that got us relegated last time. I have seen nothing in games for us to be afraid of but need to be more forceful in an attacking sense if we want to win more games and score more goals.

Ratings:

Henderson 8.5/10 – Bounced back great. Saved a one on one, standing up and not going down and then saving a header at the end. Saved us a point and our man of the match. Outside of that had little to do but was faultless in everything else he did really.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Not really a threat going forward and when he did get in good positions he dithered or telegraphed his cross. He was ok defensively but was not really up against anything. Too many times he misread another teammates intention and the understanding was off today.

Basham 6/10 – I got called for criticism of him last week but thought he carried on in the same vain. Three times he gave it away in the first 15 minutes that set them on the attack. His passing at times this season has been really poor. He improved after the break but again made another mistake that nearly let them in. He did get forward when he could and sent one good cross in for McBurnie but another over the bar.

O’Connell 7/10 – Solid defensively with some good blocks and tackles. He read the game well with some excellent moments where he outmuscled smaller and quicker players. Still got it horribly wrong when he tried to play offside twice and they nearly scored when Gray blazed over.

Egan 7/10 – I thought for the most part he was very good and won numerous headers and played sensibly but he too got caught out when they broke a few times and lost the challenge when he opted to head it when Welbeck broke. A lucky let off. Also, the header at the end a whole clutch of players including him switched off coming out and then realising too late.

Stevens 6.5/10 – One of his poorer games. He got caught a few times and his runs forward did not lead to anything happening really. He just did not offer the same threat he has done today. Not sure he made any bad mistakes but he was a bit sloppy in his passing also.

Fleck 7/10 – Thought he tried to make things happen and one of the few who actually carried the ball on (maybe the only player). He had one run and shot that was easily saved and then a few other slaloms runs but got crowded out. He at least kept plugging away.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Thought he was our best outfield player. Lovely range of passing and all our control of the ball came from him. Some crossfield balls and switch of play. His set plays were not great today but he did his job but got little from those in front.

Lundstram 6/10 – A quiet game where a lot of his runs seemed aimless. He got ahead of the strikers once and this nearly led to chance but overall, he was not really in it. He sort of drifted about without doing much and his passing was often short and given away. He seemed to be closest to Dawson at the death when he missed.

McBurnie 4/10 – Non-existent. Sure, the service was poor but not worked him out yet. He is not a runner, not a link player, nor does he hold it up? He seems a worker who tries hard but does not have the pace or strength to outstrip defenders. When the balls comes to him it rarely sticks. He has to offer much more than he is doing. Maybe we need to get him involved more but is he a box player, is he a target man? I am not sure. Yes, I’ll say it. For 20 million pounds I expect significantly more.

Robinson 4/10 – Really disappointing again. Other than a brief spell v Bournemouth and the second half against Chelsea, he has not looked quite up to it either. He is not that quick and he too coughs up possession too easy as he is quite weak. Not even that mobile. We played a few into his feet and he always just got rid of it. He did not try and turn or run at his man. The partnership between him and McBurnie is not working. McGoldrick may miss chances but he has to start for me and then you decide who plays off him.

Subs –

Mousset – Showed a few audacious tricks that led to erm…nothing but he at least got to the ball and held it up a few times and offered a nuisance/outlet ball. After this the game got scrappy and we started punting it which gave him little chance. He gave away the daft free kick which nearly cost us at the death.

Sharp – He got involved and at least win a few free kicks. Sent one good cross over when Mousset was on his heels but then wasted another cross. Needed to be in the box more but was having to do his work outside there. After the form of the two starters he may get his first start soon.

Manager Wilder 6/10 – We set up the same and had lots of ball and control but it was way too slow and the tempo meant we created next to nothing. Defensively we were ok but twice got caught way too high up the field and should have been punished. He will be frustrated as in his oft used phrase from tee to green we were ok (apart from a few shanks – defensive mistakes!) but our play in the final third meant we could still be playing now and we would not have scored. He will need to inject something into the top of the field as we have now only scored 2 in 4 games (and one was an own goal). We have some tough games coming up now and we need to ensure we come back better than we normally do from the international break.

Watford – Thought they looked a side lacking in confidence who played like an away side most of the game but it nearly worked as they did not have to work hard to protect a clean sheet and missed three sitters. Still for all that they looked a really poor side. They gave it away a lot and did not even try to go forward most of the game. They sat off us, did not press and just seemed happy for it to be 0-0 at home. They looked like a side bottom of the league but for all that they will wonder how they have not finished at least one chance of three superb ones.

They have somehow gone from a top 10 side last season to one that looks devoid of any kind of idea or attacking intent. I was surprised with the players they left out as I was concerned about pace and trickery of Sarr and Deulofeu. However, they still have lots of good players but seem to be very concerned about losing again and mentally they seemed frail.

I think they may pull away but will not want to get marooned down there. They need a win or confidence will further drain. They won’t play many more sides worse than us for attacking intent though so will see it as a big chance missed.

Opposition man of the match – Not sure anyone stood out. Like us they were sloppy. Janmaat was actually one of the stand outs and stopped Stevens getting forward. Doucoure showed a few moments going forward but their chances came from us switching off. Deulofeu produced two or three good things and surely had to start moving forward?

Opposition weak link – I thought Pererya flattered to deceive and went to ground a lot and the front two missed two sitters. Welbeck in particular though looked a shadow of the player he once was. He is not even that quick anymore. Prodl looked clumsy at the back but we did not take advantage.

Referee / VAR review – Andre Marriner. The McBurnie booking was harsh but the Lundstram one was right. Not sure there was another tackle of note all game! He did well though and let it flow. I felt he did not fall for some of their theatrics and the game went on without the constant stoppages you sometimes see. No need for any VAR. The first chance – the open goal – may have been off if he had scored. Marriner might rival Henderson for the games outstanding player. That is how bad the game was.

More or less how I saw it too. McBurnie & Robinson lucky to even get a 4/10 today. They're so easily managed. They look physically very weak. They're consistently outmuscled & out fought. McBurnie spends most of his time moaning at referees for decisions, but he isn't really putting himself about or causing opposition defences any issues.

I'm really struggling to see what Robinson brings to the party & it's such a shame because I had such high hopes of him. But he doesn't look quick, he doesn't attempt to take a man on, he doesn't get into goalscoring areas, nothing in his play is brave or positive. Somebody in the Shoutbox commented that he is literally never in space... and it's true. Everything is a rush & a panic. He looks very out of his depth at this level.

We have to win games to stay in this division. Our current shape is great in so far as it ensures that we are competitive in every game we play. But tight games will often be decided via a moment of class at the top of the field (which we don't really have in our side) or through a defensive error (which unfortunately we seem to have in us). This means more often that not we're going to draw, or lose games.

Something needs to change. Maybe McGoldrick & L Freeman need to be brought into the starting XI.

More or less how I saw it too. McBurnie & Robinson lucky to even get a 4/10 today. They're so easily managed. They look physically very weak. They're consistently outmuscled & out fought. McBurnie spends most of his time moaning at referees for decisions, but he isn't really putting himself about or causing opposition defences any issues.

I'm really struggling to see what Robinson brings to the party & it's such a shame because I had such high hopes of him. But he doesn't look quick, he doesn't attempt to take a man on, he doesn't get into goalscoring areas, nothing in his play is brave or positive. Somebody in the Shoutbox commented that he is literally never in space... and it's true. Everything is a rush & a panic. He looks very out of his depth at this level.

We have to win games to stay in this division. Our current shape is great in so far as it ensures that we are competitive in every game we play. But tight games will often be decided via a moment of class at the top of the field (which we don't really have in our side) or through a defensive error (which unfortunately we seem to have in us). This means more often that not we're going to draw, or lose games.

Something needs to change. Maybe McGoldrick & L Freeman need to be brought into the starting XI.

Spot on. I am not sure it is all just about the strikers but McGoldrick and Duffy were so important to our attacking play. Without them we have not been the same attacking force most of this season. Other than the Southampton game which strangely we lost we are barely creating more than a one good chance a game. This means we are almost relying on a 0-0 or 1-0 outcome at best.

Half happy half sad after being at the game but familiar two problems seen from the stands today.

1) we rarely attack down the inside forwards channels, nobody makes runs, opponents know it and how we always want to go out wide for upteen passes and may or may not get a cross in a minute or two later when they'll all ready for it or have fallen asleep.

2) when we do work good positions out wide, we fanny around too much and don't get the ball in the box before losing it, happened on our right at least 4 times in the second half today, no decent delivery, no goals.

Half happy half sad after being at the game but familiar two problems seen from the stands today.

1) we rarely attack down the inside forwards channels, nobody makes runs, opponents know it and how we always want to go out wide for upteen passes and may or may not get a cross in a minute or two later when they'll all ready for it or have fallen asleep.

2) when we do work good positions out wide, we fanny around too much and don't get the ball in the box before losing it, happened on our right at least 4 times in the second half today, no decent delivery, no goals.

Thats the thing that teams will work out. As crap as Watford were, they got the shape that meant they forced us wide knowing that they had men in those areas. We rarely if ever go through the middle - we wont as our midfielders are not runners or players who dribble. Ditto for the strikers. We need McGoldrick back either up front or in the 10 role.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if after spending all this money on strikers
our starting strikers this season revert back to the Sharp/ McGoldrick partnership.

Thats the thing that teams will work out. As crap as Watford were, they got the shape that meant they forced us wide knowing that they had men in those areas. We rarely if ever go through the middle - we wont as our midfielders are not runners or players who dribble. Ditto for the strikers. We need McGoldrick back either up front or in the 10 role.
Giving Freeman a run for the last 15 minutes today might have made difference instead of say Bash, a gamble and toss of the coin admittedly but a bit of unpredictability might have unsettled them

Giving Freeman a run for the last 15 minutes today might have made difference instead of say Bash, a gamble and toss of the coin admittedly but a bit of unpredictability might have unsettled them

Agreed. Those saying it is a good point but we have Arsenal next which is a far tougher game and then a trip to West Ham who will not want to lose two on the bounce at home. Today was a big opportunity missed for me.

I thought L Freeman for Robinson should have been our first change today. I like the spaces L Freeman picks up, I like that he carries the ball between the lines & he doesn't panic in the final third. I've been really surprised with how little we've used him. I would have brought him on against Liverpool also. It was clear that we were struggling to link our play up & that's what Freeman does.

Completely agree McBurnie is a waste of £20m and I haven’t a clue what Robinson is all about, we might as well revert back to sharp / McGoldrick when he’s fit again as these two are doing nothing.

Agreed. Those saying it is a good point but we have Arsenal next which is a far tougher game and then a trip to West Ham who will not want to lose two on the bounce at home. Today was a big opportunity missed for me.

This is essentially how I've been looking at our fixtures. In little sequences of 4, or 5 (usually between international breaks) & asking whether or not we are going to pick up the minimum average requirement of 1 point per game.

Desperately disappointing!?

Deaders has been on the Rose Blush again. 🙄

Did you think it was a good game? It was horrendous to watch really with little moments of quality all game from both sides.

Referee / VAR review – Andre Marriner. The McBurnie booking was harsh

All about opinions but I was half expecting it to be red – late, and mere seconds after McBurnie got up from unsuccessfully looking for a free-kick. It wasn’t dangerous, but looked petulant and deliberately late. Wilder sent Mousset out to do his final warmup immediately afterwards.

9 points, 8 games. Well done Blades. I am happy, we are in the mix. We haven't conceded 5 at Home to Villa for example.

8 players settling into the squad. Partnerships and understandings will develop week by week.

Flat middle 3 protects Back 3 and Henderson, and so do the wing backs protect them. Exposed twice when we were drawn upfield and that was Watford's Plan A. Just the 7 goals against and 4/5 were down to unforeseen individual catastrophic errors. We can't have our cake and eat it too.

Great cushioned header by McBurnie back to Robinson who hit it well but too near Foster.

We shouldn't be so O.T.T. one week and so damning the week after. We didn't even lose away from home.

Watford played a lot of men behind the ball and so did we. Stalemate by and large.

Strikers need support from midfield and the wings. Two isolated men can easily be marked by a cautious team with men behind the ball. No Freeman making driving runs and distracting defenders.

It's where we are at this early stage of the season. We will gradually become more enterprising and new players will start to flourish one by one. I bet both selected strikers yearn to play right now in the respective Swansea and Preston systems of playing, but it will evolve between management and players and playing partnerships. If it doesn't then there will be changes. Loads of time to go.

Not long ago Forum was crying out for more of the new faces selected. Now the cry is for more old faces!

'McGoldrick out' was the call and Wilder ridiculed it week before last. McG. got injured and while away he becomes 'top man' on here again!

If we played L.Freeman, K, Freeman and Morrison I'm sure we would create more chances but we would let more in. Wilder is right to be cautious as yet and the prospect of the next two games does not help him relax it all as yet. I do see him playing 1 up with McGoldrick/ L.Freeman in between the Flat 3 and the sole striker. Nobody is standing up as yet for the sole striker role though. Over 90 minutes it's a young man's job though, that's the reality.

I really don't see where Watford created three glorious chances, our piss poor defending handed them all three on a plate. Watford look like a team certain to go down this season the trouble is if we play like that we will be going down with them. Two shockingly bad teams on show today.

Uncharacteristic mistakes by a good defensive set up, mostly still adjusting to PL pace and nous. It's unfortunate for Wilder that he doesn't get 3 games a week like he did in the Championship. That would at least give him a better chance to assess new players and give partnerships a run together up front.
Sharp and Didsy may be getting on a bit, but perhaps we should give them more credit for an experienced and productive partnership?
Having McBurnie, Luke Freeman and Moose on the bench, when Sharp or McColdrick are tiring is no bad thing.

Unfortunately, the mistakes aren’t uncharacteristic this season; there’s been at least one glaring and basic cock-up by the back three (plus keeper) in pretty much every game, they just haven’t all been punished.

The lundstram Mcburnie Robinson link up for shot was excellent. More of the same needed. If lundstram is having a good game he is influential at both ends. We are asking an awful lot of him and for the most part he has done well. Freeman in his place would make us so much more vulnerable. Mcburnie poor but injured. Expect the same starting line up v Arsenal and another strong defensive performance needed. Frustrated with Robinson Mcburnie but wilder sees them all week and picks his best team. We sacrifice defensive shape for attacking flair at our peril in this league. So glad I'm not a Norwich supporter and very happy with 9 points at this stage.

I watched three games yesterday and the strikers in 5 teams hardly got a kick and all rated 4/10 or less, maybe Haller and Ayew a tad more for scoring from close range.

None of them got into the game and none received good passes.

The forwards on display were Kane, Son, Haller, Ayew, Advanced midfielders, and we have none, were also uninvolved - Lanzini, Yarmalaenko, Kouyate, Lamela, Eriksen.

Palace played without any intent to win the game and got very lucky. Spurs were awful and West Ham lacked urgency or method to beat a mass defence.

Our system waits for opportunities to come and forwards have to feed on scraps particularly when the opposition are playing cautiously. Yesterday we crept forward and our wing backs never lost sight of their defensive responsibilities, nor did the Flat 3. Kane and Son would have done no better than they did at Brighton if they had played for us yesterday.

Reading Swansea fans' comments on McBurnie, I took it that he was not a conventional big target centre forward; he likes to drop off and link play and comes short to lay off to runners. He has deft touches, not power in his feet; he loves a cross from the bye-line and glances headers away from the keeper into the sides of the goal, he latches onto loose balls in the area. One Swansea fan said ' United fans will be surprised what they are getting' and he was lamenting McBurnie's departure but amazed at the fee.

As for Robinson, my Preston pal said this about him:

Part of a message from a Preston pal, knows his football:

"Your team have had a good solid start to life in the Premier League, and hopefully they can keep it up. They always seem to do well in the second half of their games and have good resilience. I think they will do alright this year. I was happy that Callum Robinson joined Sheffield Utd, I think Wilder is a good manager and that he will look after Robinson and give him good game time. You've probably seen enough of him now to form your own opinion of him as a player but, for what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth. When Robinson first joined us (under Grayson) he was lightweight, he couldn't or wouldn't tackle or head the ball, and he was easily knocked off the ball by big Championship defenders. He would also run down blind alleys and end up losing the ball, with no end product. We could see he had the talent, but he was very frustrating to watch at times. He did gradually improve, but there was massive progression when Alex Neil joined us and took him under his wing. He got more muscular, he was quicker, and he became more involved in the games as his defensive side of the game improved. Neil made him into a much better all round player and last season, up to the time of his injury (out for 3 months), he was regularly scoring/assisting goals.
Hopefully, Wilder will be able to continue Robinson's development, and if he does you'll have a very good player on your hands. One major downside, horror of horrors, he does wear gloves in September!! I hope he does well for you, and we always look out for him on Match of the Day to see how he is doing."

Workin in progress, thats what we get for £8m.

Funilly enough I stood next to a Forest fan in the airport yesterday and asked him about Osborn.

He said he was a good player but rather inconsistent. Reasonable value for £3m but would be surprised if he did well in P.L.

For them he was a 'big game player' who scored vital goals.

These lads would have a major challenge without that Flat 3 in midfield and those cautious wing backs. The 5-3-2 formation switching to a cautious 3-5-2 does not help them to settle in.

I really don't see where Watford created three glorious chances, our piss poor defending handed them all three on a plate. Watford look like a team certain to go down this season the trouble is if we play like that we will be going down with them. Two shockingly bad teams on show today.

Two of those chances happened when our defenders were drawn upfield. Palace never ventured that far upfield yesterday.

The other one was a great save.

We were lucky to get away with all 3. Henderson 10/10, literally could not have played better.

Funny now everyone is cottoning on to what I was saying about Robinson two games in. I got laughed at when I said he was lacking pace!

So if the seeds were there in GW2 and he's not getting any better (arguably he's getting worse) how long can he last? I imagine he's in there because we are set up to be solid and we need that energy from the top down, therefore McBurnie and Robinson starting.

Sharp for me has that same energy, but get plenty more in his locker that we're currently lacking.

Back
Top Bottom