Watching Norwich and watford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hell no!

If your opinion is at ninety degrees to a poster's, it's revered as fucking ridiculous and your should not comment accordingly, regardless of the fact I have posted some supporting evidence to uphold that opinion (and pay attention Stringer, I have mentioned goals scored, but also mentioned our status as a relegated club, appearances, overall contribution within games, assists and the fact he's been on the treatment table since before Christmas when we were on just one solitary point, amongst other things to consider)

But as long as S24SU contributors have put high marks on a forum poll in the limited games he's had this season, we'll get fifty million for Berge in the window.

pommpey
You realise no-one, apart from you, has suggested that anyone will pay £50m for Berge based on S24SU ratings?

I envisage a Maguire style exit with us metaphorically chasing some team down the street offering to sell for 5 million more than we'd originally asked for.

Pommpey is quite right with his analysis of Berge, he has been a major flop.

Think back to when we signed him, the vernacular went along the lines of....

He’s one of the hottest properties in European football, coveted & monitored by all the top teams.

He’s played in the UCL, ran the game against Liverpool.

He’s a Norwegian international playing alongside the likes of Haaland etc etc.

Facts are that he’s got no game influencing / game winning ability, he’s slow, ponderous, doesn’t / can’t press & recover & as for his aerial ability - non existent.

For £23m (reportedly) & all the hype he simply hasn’t delivered, would challenge anyone to provide facts / evidence to contradict this?

He’s struggled with the pace of the PL & frankly never looked match fit - suspect his injury was a direct result of him over compensating.

What I would offer in his defence is that he’s a young man living away from home at a new club in global pandemic, can’t be easy accepted, but this is elite sport & to play & succeed at this level you have to be mentally strong - only time will tell.

He'll have a really high release clause (£35m?) that nobody will pay. I think we'll make a modest profit with some add ons

Pommpey is quite right with his analysis of Berge, he has been a major flop.

Think back to when we signed him, the vernacular went along the lines of....

He’s one of the hottest properties in European football, coveted & monitored by all the top teams.

He’s played in the UCL, ran the game against Liverpool.

He’s a Norwegian international playing alongside the likes of Haaland etc etc.

Facts are that he’s got no game influencing / game winning ability, he’s slow, ponderous, doesn’t / can’t press & recover & as for his aerial ability - non existent.

For £23m (reportedly) & all the hype he simply hasn’t delivered, would challenge anyone to provide facts / evidence to contradict this?

He’s struggled with the pace of the PL & frankly never looked match fit - suspect his injury was a direct result of him over compensating.

What I would offer in his defence is that he’s a young man living away from home at a new club in global pandemic, can’t be easy accepted, but this is elite sport & to play & succeed at this level you have to be mentally strong - only time will tell.

Yeah but, he got high ratings in the S24SU polls. 'Player of the Season' material, according to some.

That'll help when it comes to:

Guardiola: "Here. Ten million and bits based on performances and goals played for Man City. But don't expect much. He's just had most of the last season for you on the treatment table some we might just loan him on again back to a European team if we are not using him."
SUFC: "No way man! Everyone on S24SU reckons he's the cat's cock. We paid £23 million for him!"
Guardiola: "Oh aye?"
Guardiola: * just buys another midfielder *
Berges Agent: "What's the matter with you dickheads? Get him selt!"

Berge remains unsold, expensively on the books obviously plays out of his skin - in the Championship. Not.

pommpey

Yeah but, he got high ratings in the S24SU polls. 'Player of the Season' material, according to some.

Guardiola: "Here. Ten million and bits based on performances and goals played for Man City. But don't expect much. He's just had most of the last season for you on the treatment table some we might just loan him on again back to a European team if we are not using him."
SUFC: "No way man! Everyone on S24SU reckons he's the cat's cock. We paid £23 million for him!"

Berge remains unsold, expensively on the books obviously plays out of his skin - in the Championship. Not.

pommpey
OK let's have a bet for evey milllion under or over the 22 million we paid we donate a tenner to the site
So if he goes for ten million like you say the site will benefit to the tune of 120 pounds out of my pocket and if he goes for the 35 million united are asking you would pay 130 quid

I'd gladly pay 120 quid to not have to watch your wild exaggerations and ludicrous claims

pommpey

Yeah better business would be for us to take a 13 million loss on him in a season and half.

In addition to which, the balance of probability is that he does have a release clause, because when this was specifically raised in the interview the Prince did not deny it.

It won't be about holding out for a high fee. If he has a release clause, someone will trigger it.

OK let's have a bet for evey milllion under or over the 22 million we paid we donate a tenner to the site
So if he goes for ten million like you say the site will benefit to the tune of 120 pounds out of my pocket and if he goes for the 35 million united are asking you would pay 130 quid

I'd gladly pay 120 quid to not have to watch your wild exaggerations and ludicrous claims

Yeah, cos like, life is like that. Spunk £130 'just because you say so'. FYI - I don't bet, and never have. But feel free to jizz £120 to Fox and Lindz if it transpires he gets sold for less.

How about you come up with how his valuation works based upon high ratings on S24SU (which is the only evidence you have submitted so far, backed up by sneery shots at my comments being 'ludicrous')

What actually makes him worth more, in your eyes, given he's had a long term injury, more than half a season of games out of the Premier League spotlight and his input is demonstrably unimpressive?

(note readers, we may have another Bladesballer/McBurnie issue here)

pommpey

Yeah, cos like, life is like that. Spunk £130 'just because you say so'. FYI - I don't bet, and never have. But feel free to jizz £120 to Fox and Lindz if it transpires he gets sold for less.

How about you come up with how his valuation works based upon high ratings on S24SU (which is the only evidence you have submitted so far, backed up by sneery shots at my comments being 'ludicrous')

What actually makes him worth more, in your eyes, given he's had a long term injury, more than half a season of games out of the Premier League spotlight and his input is demonstrably unimpressive?

(note readers, we may have another Bladesballer/McBurnie issue here)

pommpey
Thought not

Yeah better business would be for us to take a 13 million loss on him in a season and half.

Well, we'll be taking a loss on a few other players, won't we?

Mousset, for example. How much do you reckon he'll go for?

pommpey

Thought not

It's not a bluff you can call, because I won't accept your 'ludicrous' bet. It might be how you settle debates, but I tend to look at the facts, rather than piss cash I haven't got up the wall.

Why not provide evidence to back your argument up?

pommpey

It's not a bluff you can call, because I won't accept your 'ludicrous' bet. It might be how you settle debates, but I tend to look at the facts, rather than piss cash I haven't got up the wall.

Why not provide evidence to back your argument up?

pommpey
Bore off

Yep. So either you are a bit closer to the workings of the club and you're trying to convince us Berge is worth more than he actually is, or you can't provide substantiating evidence to back up your bullshit.

Thanks for that.

pommpey

Well, we'll be taking a loss on a few other players, won't we?

Mousset, for example. How much do you reckon he'll go for?

pommpey

Why do you keep bringing Mousset up? I couldn't give a monkeys if and what he goes for tbh.

Berge is a name player, with champs league experience who already had the eye of bigger fish when we signed him. Plus he knows the top flight game now, and has served that teething season most imports have. Hes not been a bust, played in a creatively bankrupt midfield and still had some eyecatching moments. Eyecatching enough that you know he would do well away from us with better players. That all matters.

Some players you take losses on, but not your big name investment. We just dont have to, unless its a truly questionable release clause. But then you already know all this anyway.

Last edited:
Why do you keep bringing Mousset up? I couldn't give a monkeys if and what he goes for tbh.
Because our transfer policy since we ascended to the PL has been a complete disaster. We currently get all jizzy on the fleeting moments of people like Jayden Bogle as a clarion example of Wilder's acumen when Mousset continues to be the spare dick in a sixsome.
still had some eyecatching moments.
Nope. Wracking my brains on that. What 'eyecatching moments'?

pommpey

Norwich last season were abysmal. As bad as we've been, we've yet to lose 9 on the bounce (although at 8 our worst run is not much better!). They scored 2 goals in their last 13 games and got four points from that - a 1-0 win over Leicester and a 0-0 draw against Newcastle. They lost the other 11 games by an aggregate score of 28-1.

We still have the core of a good Championship squad but three things are needed in the summer: a tactical structure to remove the pressure off the midfield, a bit of belief and some targeted signings to play in the '8' role.

Unless someone offers us silly money (ie meets Berge's release clause) he should stay and play as the 6 with vertical runners either side of him and wingbacks higher up the pitch. The good news about dropping down a division is that the teams we're up against probably won't be able to leave three men up the pitch which is what's been killing us in the Premier League for the past 40 games.

PS derekacorah I've already admitted defeat in that race to 21 points and have donated a tenner to the site :)

Because our transfer policy since we ascended to the PL has been a complete disaster. We currently get all jizzy on the fleeting moments of people like Jayden Bogle as a clarion example of Wilder's acumen when Mousset continues to be the spare dick in a sixsome.

Nope. Wracking my brains on that. What 'eyecatching moments'?

pommpey

See you do this a lot, invent a new argument, keep throwing shit until something sticks. So now we are talking about Wilders acumen, but thats neither here nor there. Hes gone. Ot has no place here. This was just about why its daft to think we're going to sell Sander Berge for 10 million.

Joint top scorer in a season United finished 9th in the PL, btw. His goals probably paid for him many times over.

Joint top scorer in a season United finished 9th in the PL, btw. His goals probably paid for him many times over.

And you think that stellar strike rate was the sole reason we finished ninth?

Six goals. Not one full match. Mostly benched or injured.

That's some return. Maybe if we'd bought a more robust, capable striker we'd have had more goals and more of a return this season.

But, be my guest. Excuse his pisspoor value as worthy all you can. In fact, keep chanting 'last season's joint top scorer' enough, and like McBurnie (the other holder of that coveted crown) it all goes away ...

pommpey

And you think that stellar strike rate was the sole reason we finished ninth?

Six goals. Not one full match. Mostly benched or injured.

That's some return. Maybe if we'd bought a more robust, capable striker we'd have had more goals and more of a return this season.

But, be my guest. Excuse his pisspoor value as worthy all you can. In fact, keep chanting 'last season's joint top scorer' enough, and like McBurnie (the other holder of that coveted crown) it all goes away ...

pommpey
Did I say it was the sole reason?
I just tend to think that when a team massively overperforms, its top scorers (y’know, the lads who score more goals than anyone else, the things that win matches and points) are fairly vital parts of that.
Put another way... Sign asset for £7m, does its job to earn £130m that year alone. That’s decent business in any industry

Did I say it was the sole reason?
I just tend to think that when a team massively overperforms, its top scorers (y’know, the lads who score more goals than anyone else, the things that win matches and points) are fairly vital parts of that.
Put another way... Sign asset for £7m, does its job to earn £130m that year alone. That’s decent business in any industry
And in the same sense, sign Defensive Midfielder for £23m, and within one year of playing in the top flight in English Football he spends most of the season on the treatment table and even before his injury, the team was performing woefully with him in it.

Whilst he is absent, their fortunes increase marginally but not enough to prevent their demise, and they still perform consistently dreadfully, so it could be deduced his presence had no effect on outcomes anyway.

In which direction do you reckon his transfer value will go, also factoring in that he will be effectively transferred out of a Championship club? Let's include in that the opinions of a bunch of internet fans on a forum, if you want.

pommpey

And in the same sense, sign Defensive Midfielder for £23m, and within one year of playing in the top flight in English Football he spends most of the season on the treatment table and even before his injury, the team was performing woefully with him in it.

Whilst he is absent, their fortunes increase marginally but not enough to prevent their demise, and they still perform consistently dreadfully, so it could be deduced his presence had no effect on outcomes anyway.

In which direction do you reckon his transfer value will go, also factoring in that he will be effectively transferred out of a Championship club? Let's include in that the opinions of a bunch of internet fans on a forum, if you want.

pommpey
Back to Berge now are we?
Which way did Nathan Ake’s value go when he was transferred out of a Championship club?

Funny how they kept top talent like that, but a lot of our fans on here are desperate for us to sell Berge. Strange behaviour.

Yes, every player is the same,
His value to our fans is the ££££'s we can get for him, not what ability or influence he has on the pitch.

Previous boardrooms have done a fantastic job of attracting a special sort of "expect nothing, and dream of nothing sort of fan"

But, it is Sheffield I suppose, and those type of fans are pretty much ten a penny.

I've always said that both clubs have only held onto so much support because of the Sheffieldl publics lack of ambition for anything.

Back to Berge now are we?
Which way did Nathan Ake’s value go when he was transferred out of a Championship club?

You mean 'Nathan Ake, of Chelsea, loaned to Reading, then Watford (Premier League), then Bournemouth (Premier League, but still a Chelsea player) then permanently to Bournemouth (in the Premier League) until they too were relegated.

I'd say Ake had Premier League 'pedigree', wouldn't you? He also didn't miss more than half his first, whole Premier League season with a long term injury. Berge hasn't completed one season with us, so not much Premier League pedigree. During that period, he's hardly ripped up many trees, has he?

pommpey

Funny how they kept top talent like that, but a lot of our fans on here are desperate for us to sell Berge. Strange behaviour.
Didnt they sell Ben Godfrey and one other top player?

Back
Top Bottom