Wasting time with ball in corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sharp did this when we were literally 30 yards from goal 3 on 3, I hate it. We generally give the ball away within 10 seconds and actually have men out of position

It is weird that teams will do this yet, similarly, they do not recognise that if, say, you win a corner 30 seconds into 1 minute of stoppage time at the end of the half, the opposition will not have time to break and therefore the correct play is to send the keeper up
Taking it a bit further why don’t teams start sending the keeper up from the beginning of stoppage time?

In 30 years of watching us I think I’ve only seen us score from that scenario when defending a lead once (Billy Sharp vs Derby in 2018). Can only think of a handful of times I’ve seen sides in other games get punished for it (Alonso vs Luton for example).

If the defending goalkeeper collects the ball he is always more likely to hold on to it than release it downfield for a speculative attack.

I hate time wasting. Why can’t you win by being better than the other team rather than shithousing? Some 13 year old twat was playing against my son a few weeks ago and they were 1-0 up and he kept kicking the ball away when people were passing it to him it for a goal kick. In the end I put the ball down on the spot for a goal kick and then he bloody moved it anyway. What a knob.

If we're going to take the ball into the corner, let's at least be half decent at it..don't like us doing it, just keep the ball we"re quite good at that.

Some of you younger ones will have a stroke when you find out we spent over 100 years with players being able to waste time by passing back to a keeper who could pick it up...rinse and repeat. 🤣

Why not get all 10 outfield players to huddle round the ball instead. And walk as a unit into the goal. 😂

I only mentioned because I read something many years ago that said Derby County did this in 1914 or sometime round then, in an F.A. Cup match I think.

But it would obviously be obstruction now days. But then again you rarely see a free kick given for obstruction anyway, like when defenders pull back to let the ball roll out for a goal kick and stop the attacker going round him.

Taking the ball into a corner when accompanied by the Take Your Time song is asking for trouble.

In the modern era who were the first team to bring this to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't an international fad that caught on like diving any clues?

Surely its even better once we've made it to the corner to twat it all the way back to Olsen who can then twat it back from hence it came!

We generally give the ball away within 10 seconds and actually have men out of position
This exactly..

If we're going to do this, can the players train to learn how to kick it against the defender, we never get it right...

Then usually they go straight up the other end... Like Saturday..

Back
Top Bottom