Warnock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

THAT game against Leeds in the League Cup.
Beating Liverpool at the Lane in 2003.
The first time I ever saw us beat the pigs in 2001.
4-0 win at Elland Road.
THAT Forest playoff semi final night.
1-0 vs Arsenal in the premier league with Jags in goal.

There's more, but that's 6 truly unforgettable memories that "Colin" gave us. Some of the absolute highlights of my time watching United.

I remember we played frechville in a friendly,one of there lads charged full pelt at Wayne Allison the frechville lad went flying and chief was just stood there 😂 it was like a lightweight hitting an heavyweight on the jaw 😂

I didn't realise he'd managed 16 marvellous clubs where they had something special.
That's an awful lot of greatest sets of supporters ;)
Thanks for the memories Neil.

I will never forgive him for the January transfer window in the PL that laid the foundation for the years of misery that followed. Or his team selection against Wigan.
It was the team selection at Villa that boiled my piss. As others have said he leaves some great memories.

One of the top 3 managers we have had in my lifetime. Some great memories with him in charge. Enjoy the retirement Neil!

He's cut from the same cloth as Wilder in that when he's in charge of you, you don't notice how arrogant and petulant he comes across. Once he's moved on, every interview he does, annoys the hell out of you!

Wilder gave us great memories but for me that triple assault season will never be beaten in terms of atmosphere and expectation,at the lane I thought we'd beat anybody,I used to sit on H block of the laver and the atmosphere was brilliant especially for the big games,nuddys goal against Leeds and jags oh the memories.

The official SUFC Facebook page have been putting up some good previously unreleased footage of the 03/04 season documentary.
I'd forgotten had bad Jags hair style was back then. Warnock was in the dressing room before a game asking Jags opinion on the latest technology, a MP something he said so Jags told him about an iPod or MP3 player for digital music.

Reactions: Dkc

Pretty much like Wilder the early/mid years under Warnock were good, then they both thought they were bigger than the Club and their egos took over....

The official SUFC Facebook page have been putting up some good previously unreleased footage of the 03/04 season documentary.
I'd forgotten had bad Jags hair style was back then. Warnock was in the dressing room before a game asking Jags opinion on the latest technology, a MP something he said so Jags told him about an iPod or MP3 player for digital music.
FB_IMG_1649763833914.jpg

Reactions: Dkc
I knew Neil on a first name basis when he was United manager. All I can say is that he and his family are lovely people and couldn't have been nicer to two young Blades (me and my mate)..He would talk football, life or anything else with anyone. He got me no end of tickets, meals, programs, access and a few jobs just because he could. Stuart McCall, Chief, Pagey, Monty Jags etc etc are also all top blokes. It's no surprise they all did so well as the spirit at United was unbelievable. They would be absolutely elated when we won and disconsolate when we lost; a real band of brothers. This, imo, is the most underrated thing in football as I saw first hand in the post Warnock years.

What you have to understand is that NW is first and foremost a masterful psychologist.Almost everything he did when in the public eye was for show: to manipulate his team, their team or manager; the referee or supporters. When the game has finished he hits a switch and is a pretty understated bloke called Neil. If you dislike him you dislike the comic book character he created for you. "All the World' a stage" and Neil has long been one of football's greatest thespians...

During his terrible second spell, I actually changed my seat so I was behind the dugout because his mardy rantings were much more entertaining than the football. It was that stage when there were like 3 shot on target every game. My only other memory is the masterful tactic of lobbing cossfield balls at Peter Ndlovu's head.

During his terrible second spell, I actually changed my seat so I was behind the dugout because his mardy rantings were much more entertaining than the football. It was that stage when there were like 3 shot on target every game. My only other memory is the masterful tactic of lobbing cossfield balls at Peter Ndlovu's head.

Second spell, Warnock?

When all is said and done, we can look back many years on and realise despite some of the faults, and how it all ended - Neil Warnock was a success for this Football club. We talk about the 2005/06 promotion being Neil's major success, and it was, but I really feel that 2002/03 season was the one that actually gained us a new generation of fans, well at least for myself as someone who came from a fairly neutral Footballing background.

I hope people don't mind me relaying a story of how that famous 2002/03 season, spearheaded by Neil Warnock was the one that really connected me with this Football club. I was about 11 years old. I'd had no real interest in Football until the 2002 World Cup, and we'd just had that and I remember going to school to watch the England games early doors before the 02/03 season.

My grandad on my mum's side was a Blade, but I didn't have much Footballing influence, and we didn't go to any games. My late father was actually an armchair Newcastle supporter (grandad was from there), and he tried his best to get me to follow them instead of the Blades. One night in October 2002, 11 years old and I'd go with my dad for a car ride, I remember us driving to Meadowhall to pick my older brother up from a late shift at work. We had BBC Radio Sheffield on in the car to listen to Football Heaven.... and it was the infamous League Cup game vs Leeds. 0-1 down to a Steve Yates own goal, into injury time.... then Paul Walker's infamous commentary in that extraordinary extra time period. That commentary still sends shivers down my neck if I hear it. Something clicked for me.

.....From there on in, I was absolutely hooked on the Blades. Followed all the games for the rest of that 2002/03 season on Radio Sheffield, as nobody would take me to games, and we couldn't afford it due to dad not working and mum being on a low wage. I didn't get to my first match until my 14th birthday (2004/05 season) - when I just decided one afternoon vs Ipswich Town at home, to go myself with a friend and spend my birthday money. We lost 0-2 that day - it was the infamous game where you see the clips of Warnock swearing at the ref, telling Joe Royle the ref was his team's best player, asking Paul Shaw to run up and down the line to harass the linesman. I still remember that game quite well, we absolutely battered them that day (After losing 1-5 at their place) and we did everything but score. I enjoyed it, the old Bramall Lane before the redevelopments had some character. I went for the rest of that season, regularly getting a season ticket after then, to this day.

I think I'd have found my way to following the Blades eventually, as I always had a slight interest and I never liked our neighbours, but the 2002/03 season was and will always be so special for me and I'm sure many other fans. The promotion of 05/06 was great, beating Arsenal with Jags in goal in the Prem was memorable, but 02/03 just meant more to me in a different sort of way.

For all the above, I personally hope Warnock enjoys his retirement and I'll always thank him and the players of that 02/03 season, which helped connect me with this wonderful club.

My arms-length dealings with Waaaaarnock (outside following United). Says he'll be at the awards ceremony for some kids who have beaten the odds. Doesn't turn up in person, sends a United coach (possibly Ron Reid) instead. Twat.

Can't deny the man's success but it was and will always be about what's best for Neil Warnock.

See also: Chris Wilder.

Like pretty much everyone in every job ever, he made mistakes. He also gave us back belief, heart, desire and ambition as a club, at a time when we could easily have gone the other way.
Anyone who chooses to focus on and remember him by the negatives, is either blind, stupid or both.
Of course he was a pantomime figure at times but he brought us some pretty amazing experiences and rather perversely because he is a lifelong blade, probably gets a lot more shit than if he had no affiliation for the club.
Thanks Neil, you a superb and unique character and manager for the Blades and many other clubs for many years.

He's cut from the same cloth as Wilder in that when he's in charge of you, you don't notice how arrogant and petulant he comes across. Once he's moved on, every interview he does, annoys the hell out of you!
I dispute that, we went to the meet the manager night at the lane when him and Blackwell took over, it was a questions and answer night he made everybody feel uncomfortable with his sarcastic replies at nearly every question asked of him.

I dispute that, we went to the meet the manager night at the lane when him and Blackwell took over, it was a questions and answer night he made everybody feel uncomfortable with his sarcastic replies at nearly every question asked of him.

OK, maybe in something like that then. I agree, i don't think Wilder would act like that on stage.

The reference to Wilder was more relating to match interviews. When he was ours we thought what an honest talking guy he was, saying it how it is etc. whilst opposition clubs countered with stuff like he's petulant and mardy etc.

The "Forty, Fifty Grand a week" comment after the pigs game... i know the point he's trying to make, but looking back now, that's embarrassing AF. We played them off the park that night, he didn't have to resort to that level.

Back
Top Bottom