Warnock - for one season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think we are appealing the decision, so I expect a resolution by midweek. It's not ridiculous to consider that he could be appointed season 22/23 when he would qualify for a work permit, who knows?
What appeal process are they following as theres not one in the currently published criteria? If this is just a home office appeal for a work permit then he’s still not eligible even if it’s granted as the FA rules block it and its that process which has been the issue here.
Of course the FA could cave, but then like FFP what’s the point of having the rule?
It’s also worth noting that if his current club happen to sack him before he competes the season, as they’re planning for when he fucks off or aren’t happy to play nice, then he’s in limbo.

Last edited:

If we have any thoughts about wanting to get back to playing attractive football then Warnock would be a disaster.

You don't pick a manager with a completely different style and approach to the last one unless you intend to overhaul the squad entirely. That's not "steadying the ship", that's getting off and boarding a new one.

We don't have Warnock players and I don't know why anyone would want to go back to Warnock style football. It's undoing all the progress Wilder made and going back fifteen years.

If we want to bounce back at the first attempt, it makes sense to go for the man with the most promotions in English football. I think he only signed a one year extension at Borough, so it's not entirely unfeasible that we could prise him away

If we have any thoughts about wanting to get back to playing attractive football then Warnock would be a disaster.

You don't pick a manager with a completely different style and approach to the last one unless you intend to overhaul the squad entirely. That's not "steadying the ship", that's getting off and boarding a new one.

We don't have Warnock players and I don't know why anyone would want to go back to Warnock style football. It's undoing all the progress Wilder made and going back fifteen years.
I get what your saying. But our style of football has been pretty rubbish for the last 12 months. At times under CW it was just whacking the ball out from the edge of our area. Having no outlet and it just coming straight back at us. Pretty dreadful with zero end product or outlet.

Our first priority should be arresting the slide of this squad. And then hopefully getting into a position to challenge for promotion.

Mark my words. As things stand we have an almighty challenge on our hands to avoid a relegation fight next year.

As crazy as it sounds and we fail with Blessin, I think this could be a good move.

Could be his final year in management, he can steady the ship until Blessin qualifys for a work permit.

Also we don't have the spectre of Kevin Macabre on the board so doubtful there would be an issue with HRH

At least we would not be in a relegation fight which I reckon could happen with the hapless PH in charge.

When CW walked away 2 months ago I wouldn't have entertained this move but as time goes on I really am worried about arresting the slide.

At least with Warnock he wouldn't stand for some of the performances from our so called star players.
My answer is NO, I don’t dislike Neil but for gods sake move on and get a new face in.

I'm no fan of Colin and when I heard someone suggest Mr Wanker a few weeks ago my initial thought was no f***ing way, however I've changed my mind on this now. If the board are thinking Blessin, Tisdale or Heckingbottom then that's got disaster written all over it. Yeah get Colin in for one season only, if only to steady the ship, he might even get us in the play offs. I'm already cringing at his welcome back press conference, "it's the biggest job I've ever had" ... "best fans ever" ... "we'll be clearing dog shit off the training ground tomorrow" ... et al ... all this with the image of Warnock bollocking the team while he's plying on his piles cream, thank you Patrick Kenny for publishing that little gem of information !!!

What appeal process are they following as theres not one in the currently published criteria? If this is just a home office appeal for a work permit then he’s still not eligible even if it’s granted as the FA rules block it and its that process which has been the issue here.
Of course the FA could cave, but then like FFP what’s the point of having the rule?
It’s also worth noting that if his current club happen to sack him before he competes the season, as they’re planning for when he fucks off or aren’t happy to play nice, then he’s in limbo.
For christ no thanks. Past his peak 20 years ago. Better option would be for Prince and Chris Wilder to kiss and make up and present Wilder as new blades boss on a 2 yr contract. But that wont happen either.
Blades need a new messiah and frankly I fear from the shortlist it isn't coming.

Yes with Jags number 2 and Billy in some sort of coaching role

Jags needs to go
He has no experience for a managerial/coaching role at a club so dysfunctional

Warnock, A good shout for one season only, I wouldn't be against it, and he'd certainly give some arses a well deserved kick.

i would take warnock he was best manager id seen at the lane, by a country mile. until wilder. his spell at rotherham was outstanding over 46 games they wouldve been promoted automatically

& for relegated side we dont seem to be blessed with options

Middlesbrough were only out of the relegation zone on goal difference when Warnock took over with eight games to go. He currently has them 10th. He's only paid a transfer fee for one player.
Last season, he went from 21st to 17th.
He had the whole pre season, kept a £30M wage bill and has gotten them to 10th having being firmly in the bottom half for most of the season.

Last season, he went from 21st to 17th.
He had the whole pre season, kept a £30M wage bill and has gotten them to 10th having being firmly in the bottom half for most of the season.
How many positions should they have gone up with eight games remaining? If you're level on the points with the relegation zone teams you're delighted to finish 17th at the end of the season. Warnock has had to put up with the legacy of expensive shite left him by Woodgate and Pulis etc. He hasn't assembled them. He's there to get the wage bill down (see recent release of Fletcher, Assombalonga etc). Anybody would be happy with a rise from relegation fodder to 10th in one full season.
Would rather someone younger with less baggage. At the moment we have monumental gambles and SJ who flat track bullied with extremely talented and expensive Watford and Fulham squads before getting well backed and found out in the Pathe Prem. I'm hoping there's a top class foreign manager ready to come in at the end of the season who's completely off the radar, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited:
I get what your saying. But our style of football has been pretty rubbish for the last 12 months. At times under CW it was just whacking the ball out from the edge of our area. Having no outlet and it just coming straight back at us. Pretty dreadful with zero end product or outlet.

Our first priority should be arresting the slide of this squad. And then hopefully getting into a position to challenge for promotion.

Mark my words. As things stand we have an almighty challenge on our hands to avoid a relegation fight next year.
We're going to have to ship some players out and bring some new ones in. The kind of players someone like Warnock would bring in would be completely different to the type of player that say Jokanovic would want. That's the problem. It would take another season or two to undo what that type of manager would change. In which case, what's the point?

Could he convince Sharon to let him have one last crack at it?

Would we be the best fans he’s ever worked for?

Would this set of lads be the best set of lads he’s ever worked with?

Would he get the band back together? Suppose Jags is already here for him. Could convince Tongey, Browny and Paddy to come out of retirement surely.

You know what, yeah fuck it. Let’s go backwards 15 years and have another spell under Colin. Least his interviews are amusing when he’s going in on every set of officials ever.

The longer this caretaker manager nonsense goes on, the more the rot is setting in and the more likely it will need ripping out.

Its difficult to call, because some of the Championship football I’ve watched this season has been poor. However it is competitive and physical and this current bunch look like they dont have the fight in them any more. That says to me that there is going to be a slide that needs arresting and on that basis, I’ve got no problem with Warnock coming back.
Excellent point.
This team lacks guts, bravery and physicality in equal measure. I never thought I’d see a United side fold and become so submissive. The lack of fight is pathetic. No pride with the odd exception.

Given the alternatives on offer, I'd have him back on a one-year contract with a massive promotion bonus. People might not like him but there's no doubt he'd get the team fired up and hungry.

But even if he was offered the job I'm not sure if he would come. Even without Kev around, he will be aware that our fans can be fickle (more today than in 2007) and would turn on him if we weren't in the top six. Also, could he work at a club where his future signings are picked by someone else? Very doubtful,.

People who argue that Warnock's a 'dinosaur' and 'past it' are being ageist. The fact that he's still managing while many other younger managers are out of work shows that he can still get teams to perform, and get results.

Part of me is still hoping that the Prince and CW make up. He'd be my preferred choice by a mile.

Got to admit Warnock had crossed my mind as a short-termish appointment before. There are few managers around with the success Warnock has had at Championship level. Looking at his managerial record over the past 5 years he has turned around the fortunes of all the clubs he has managed in that time. Saved Rotherham from the drop, turned around Cardiff from relegation strugglers to take them to the Premier League, and despite what others are saying in this thread has turned around Middlesboro again without needing to overhaul the squad. In fact in most of the examples above he got results straight away with the existing squads, that is not the mark of a man who can only suit certain players, he seems to get results and find a way. Maybe he is not the most likeable (i happen to like him personally as he says it how it is), but manager wise at the level you are at there is not many better, especially short term.

I'm feeling all nostalgic, can we have Tom Hark back as our goal music too?

Most of the names that are being linked with us are a worse option than the OP suggests. My only concern would be if we were to get back to the top flight, we'd likely be back to square one the season after as we get relegated again.

Back
Top Bottom