Warnock demonstrated……..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade56

Yer avin a laff
Reaction score
now I walk in the shadow of the Valley of Death
…we need to replace HJSMc if we are seriously going to try and become a regular in the most prestigious rich league in the world.

Im not going to heavily debate or justify this statement, I just wanted to get it out of my head cause it keeps coming back in to my thoughts.

Heres why. Last night Man City were 2 up with 10 minutes to go when they were awarded a penalty. Gundogan had scored 2 and Haagaland (penalty taker) handed him the ball in a kind gesture so Gundogan could score his first hat trick. The inevitable happened, Gundogan missed then Leeds scored.

My point (and a very angry Pep’s point) is there’s no room for sentiment if you are serious in top level football. Leeds could have snatch an equaliser and this 2 lost points might have handed the title to Arsenal, only the next few game will tell.

Back to HJSMc. Warnock handed them their arses on a plate on Thursday, that simple. If Warnock can do that against a strong SUFC 11 think what top managers will do to us. We should have gone out under no pressure and entertained the fans who braved a wet Thursday night and some hard earned income. But no, we were hung over ineffective rabble slowed to walking footy in the first half then hit with Huddersfield’s afterburners in the second half. Just think what managers like Pep, Klopp et Al can do to us tactically.

We have two scenarios

1. Non-sentimental approach, a buyer comes in, cash is available, clear out the players that are not in our plans but first replace HJSMc for an experienced top level coaching team. Buy proven players at this level from an eclectic mix not just GB players.

2. Sentimental approach, no new buyer, budget team based around who we can hang onto. Retain HJSMc cause they’ve “earned the opportunity to have a go” (if I hear that said one more time I’ll explode).

I think 2 is going to be the obvious outcome but as my good virtual friend Blade58 points out he’s resigned to this fate next season. Yes we will battle but little ol Sheffield United will more than likely have a lot of plates full of arse meat by this time next year.

All that said I’m proud of the team, the fans and most of all HJSMc but as pep was screaming at Haagland there’s no room for sentiment if you want to be up there, no sentimental twaddle, take the shot.

No room for sentiment, but you want them to be entertaining for the fans because it's wet and they've spent money. Sounds to me like you want them to be sentimental to the fans, so which is it, sentiment or not sentiment?

Ridiculous? Yes, but no more ridiculous than any of the bullshit in the opening post.

…we need to replace HJSMc if we are seriously going to try and become a regular in the most prestigious rich league in the world.

Im not going to heavily debate or justify this statement, I just wanted to get it out of my head cause it keeps coming back in to my thoughts.

Heres why. Last night Man City were 2 up with 10 minutes to go when they were awarded a penalty. Gundogan had scored 2 and Haagaland (penalty taker) handed him the ball in a kind gesture so Gundogan could score his first hat trick. The inevitable happened, Gundogan missed then Leeds scored.

My point (and a very angry Pep’s point) is there’s no room for sentiment if you are serious in top level football. Leeds could have snatch an equaliser and this 2 lost points might have handed the title to Arsenal, only the next few game will tell.

Back to HJSMc. Warnock handed them their arses on a plate on Thursday, that simple. If Warnock can do that against a strong SUFC 11 think what top managers will do to us. We should have gone out under no pressure and entertained the fans who braved a wet Thursday night and some hard earned income. But no, we were hung over ineffective rabble slowed to walking footy in the first half then hit with Huddersfield’s afterburners in the second half. Just think what managers like Pep, Klopp et Al can do to us tactically.

We have two scenarios

1. Non-sentimental approach, a buyer comes in, cash is available, clear out the players that are not in our plans but first replace HJSMc for an experienced top level coaching team. Buy proven players at this level from an eclectic mix not just GB players.

2. Sentimental approach, no new buyer, budget team based around who we can hang onto. Retain HJSMc cause they’ve “earned the opportunity to have a go” (if I hear that said one more time I’ll explode).

I think 2 is going to be the obvious outcome but as my good virtual friend Blade58 points out he’s resigned to this fate next season. Yes we will battle but little ol Sheffield United will more than likely have a lot of plates full of arse meat by this time next year.

All that said I’m proud of the team, the fans and most of all HJSMc but as pep was screaming at Haagland there’s no room for sentiment if you want to be up there, no sentimental twaddle, take the shot.
The part that I can agree with is it’s bloody irritating when people talk about “earning an opportunity to have a go” and that you can’t be ruled by sentiment. We have to do what’s best for the club - at all times, no exceptions.

However, even if we have a big investment takeover this Summer (not holding my breath) I would not advocate binning off the majority of the squad and bringing in a new management team and a new squad - it’s just so unlikely to gel and succeed overnight (look how shite Chelsea were with the absurd amount of recruitment and Potter (a good manager) unable to gain any kind of control/identity). Forest still look like they’re coming down after spending a fortune and Cooper is a good manager in my view.

My vote (if we get a big takeover) would be to keep Hecky et al, recruit key upgrades across the squad to make us competitive and go for it. Either Hecky succeeds and proves he can hack it at the highest level, if so let him carry on with a tidy budget, or it transpires he’s not up to the task and we replace him for the following season (be it Premier League or Championship) with a strong squad that can be further supplemented by our new moneybags owner under new management.

We’ve been down the route of bringing in an experienced manager with good pedigree in Slav. It didn’t work. I think only a certain type of manager can succeed at Bramall Lane. The fans will only accept a certain brand of football. With that in mind who do you propose we appoint instead?

We’ve been down the route of bringing in an experienced manager with good pedigree in Slav. It didn’t work. I think only a certain type of manager can succeed at Bramall Lane. The fans will only accept a certain brand of football. With that in mind who do you propose we appoint instead?
I’ve got no feckin idea, I’ve followed United for 66 years proving I know nowt about football

Every time we get a ‘named’ manager it never works out for us we much prefer the underdog approach

I think the management team have currently earned the right to manage in the premier league. I'm also not sure these 'top level managers' exist any more. The premier league is an unforgiving beast and wildly different to the championship. It may suit Hecky and Co better, but we don't known unless we try.

And if we're going to build a consistent contender, we need a consistent management in place.

There’s so much flawed argument in the OP it’s hard to know where to begin. I’m not surprised you are “not going to heavily debate or justify this statement” because, to be honest, you would get shredded if you did! Conflating Haaland’s error in the Leeds game with United’s future management set-up is just bizarre. Conflating and simplifying further to suggest that leaves us with two basic scenarios is risible. I hope to God the United Board aren’t sitting there with a flip chart saying ‘Sentimental Route’ and ‘Non-Sentimental Route’ on it as the exclusive, fundamental way forward. They would all need sacking if that’s the way they conduct their business. There’s a few more scenarios to consider than that simplistic twaddle.

Explode as much as you like, the current management team have more than earned the right to continue. We are promoted with games to spare and we ground out results when it mattered when other teams ultimately flattered to deceive. We creamed this league after the very non-sentimental Jokanovic appointment was an abject failure. They have earned the right to continue because of their quantifiable, measurable, evidential based success. Replacing them with some ‘top level coaching team’ (presumable available from all good, non-sentimental retailers?) is nonsense at every level. How would you define a top level coaching team? Oh yeh, one that took a side wallowing in the bottom half of the league and got it promoted to the richest league in the world in just over a season. No sentiment, hard facts. We may not survive but that will be more down to financial clout, ownership direction and effective player purchase. The current management team achieved promotion in spite of all three of those massively important factors being an absolute bloody shambles….and you would sack them?? Unbelievable.

I won't bother to debate or justify either, but that's an over reaction to a meaningless game (for us).
There’s no debate to be had.

Yes I was initially less that praiseworthy about the appointment. But Hecky and his team have absolutely earned the right to have a crack at the top table.

Taking one game in isolation against a team who had everything to play for and we had not much as evidence we are going to struggle is as absurd as thinking the cup win against Spurs means we are going to smash the league.

The part that I can agree with is it’s bloody irritating when people talk about “earning an opportunity to have a go” and that you can’t be ruled by sentiment. We have to do what’s best for the club - at all times, no exceptions.

However, even if we have a big investment takeover this Summer (not holding my breath) I would not advocate binning off the majority of the squad and bringing in a new management team and a new squad - it’s just so unlikely to gel and succeed overnight (look how shite Chelsea were with the absurd amount of recruitment and Potter (a good manager) unable to gain any kind of control/identity). Forest still look like they’re coming down after spending a fortune and Cooper is a good manager in my view.

My vote (if we get a big takeover) would be to keep Hecky et al, recruit key upgrades across the squad to make us competitive and go for it. Either Hecky succeeds and proves he can hack it at the highest level, if so let him carry on with a tidy budget, or it transpires he’s not up to the task and we replace him for the following season (be it Premier League or Championship) with a strong squad that can be further supplemented by our new moneybags owner under new management.
For me it’s less about sentiment and more about continuity, that’s what I mean about giving them a chance.

Given all the current circumstances I just can’t think of anyone who would come in and do any better.

I’ve got no feckin idea, I’ve followed United for 66 years proving I know nowt about football
So you want the club to sack a manager who has just achieved promotion but couldn’t name one who we should appoint instead. 🤡

We have two scenarios

Just to point out, B56, Hecky didn't do too bad relatively in his short time with us in the PL and if he can replicate this over a full season with a little more stability and a couple of new players of his choosing, we might be ok.......just!

We have two scenarios

I guarantee you nobody read past the first, laughable paragraph.

We have two scenarios

199CC26D-34F7-4092-998C-17EE9C2FD401.jpeg

I did think about this a bit after the Huddersfield game myself and I tried to weigh up the pros and cons of it all.

If you are going to replace the management team, then I guess there has to be multiple considerations and justifications for doing so.

You could argue that a positive that could be gained from bringing in a new management team, would be if we were to bring in someone with recent Premier League experience. We are unfortunate enough to be heading to the top flight with managerial inexperience again, just as we did with Wilder. There are a few names out there who hold experience in this league in various capacities, such as Brendan Rogers and Brian McDermott.... however I feel that in order to attract any higher calibre management team, we would have to have a workable budget as well...

But if there is any fairness in the sport, you have to agree that Hecky has more than earnt a fair crack at this. It is his biggest achievement and challenge to date, but he has delivered the goods and deserves the opportunity to go and compete at the highest level of the game.

In order to be competitive, he needs the correct backing it is as simple as that. He needs a bit of money to invest in better tools for the job. I'm not saying throw countless amounts at him because I don't think he has the former experiences to play the wholesale, expensive recruitment game. But give him a budget that will allow him to bring in a number of players that would enable us to become cometitive and hold our own.

Of course there is a sound argument for somewhat of a hybrid situation to the above... We could of course keep Hecky, Macca and Jack? And we could find an exeprienced Director Of Football behind the scenes? Someone like Brian McDermott?... He's not the most glamorous of names I know, but he's worked at Arsenal in various capacities and he knows the game and the league well.

And finally... I feel there is another consideration as well. Do you genuinely feel that we are a tenchnically gifted team?.... Personally my thoughts are NO.

We have (in my opinion) a team that is made up mainly of work horses.... I think we are quite limited in terms of technical ability and there is a huge risk of over complicating things. In terms of our own assets, we do have Berge, Ndiaye, Baldock (the international lot) and they would probably handle new ideas. But we also have a large number of limited players in my opinion....

So would a new manager be able to change things up and get anything different out of this set of lads as a whole?....

I think that Jokanovic tried to change things up and i stall new ideas. I think he attempted to change our formation and our style of play...and it didn't work. I think that Hecky's immediate revert back to 3-5-2 and 'The Wilder Way' is a clear sign that our team has been built to play in a particular shape and way....

I'm not overlt convinced that a new manager would be able to overly stamp themselves on this set of lads.

Soooo in conclusion......

If the owners stay the same....
If the investment into the squad is minimal...
If the squad is to stay the same.....

Then I see no sense in changing the management team. They know this set of lads and they known how to get the best out of them.

If suddenly we are in a position of sudden investment and disposable cash....

Then (A)... You are caution in the level in investment that you give Hecky.

Or (B).... You seek a management team with Premier League experience. BUT, I feel that if you do this.... the squad would require somewhat of a overhaul (around key players).

We have two scenarios

The only reason im leaving a comment here is im surprised any one has responded

Trolling like this should be ignored

We have two scenarios

I think they have earned the opportunity to have a go.
Council clear up wagon on its way !

I think only a certain type of manager can succeed at Bramall Lane. The fans will only accept a certain brand of football.
Will they? Based on what? Are you suggesting we only want blood and thunder and pashun I reckon you're wide of the mark. I'd love us to play like Man City or an on form Arsenal every week.

Not sentimental, professional
What if the professional approach was to let the management team who managed through an embargo and everything else thrown at them, have a chance to show they can hack it at the next level?

If they can’t, then maybe change is part of the conversation. But for now in my opinion, we‘ve gone through, and are going through enough change and uncertainty with the takeover

You auditioning for a job on Talksport mate?
cos this is the type of incendiary bollox they throw out to get mug punters to call in at £1 a minute

Has any team ever sacked a manager that has won promotion before the season has started?

It’s just nonsense, even more so that he’s steadied the ship through choppy waters

tell you what let’s sack the bloke that’s held this shit together and really rock the boat by bringing someone new in - I’ve seen some shite on here, but ladies and gentlemen we have a winner !

Finally, can you name this ‘management team’ you have in mind?
And keep it real, don’t say Poch or even Rodgers

13 March 2021 - United were bottom of the PL with just 4 wins in 28 games.
Hecky came in as interim boss and won 3 of the last 11.

25 November 2021 - United were 16th in the CH with 6 wins and 8 defeats from 19 games. SIX WINS as the pre-season favourites.
Hecky came in on that day and guided us to 5th, winning 15 of the last 27 games. Losing 5 games.

Today - we are 2nd in the CH, heading to the PL again. Since 25 November 2021, Hecky has accumulated 140pts in 72 games... 1.94ppg in a season and half.

Yeah let's get shut

I did think about this a bit after the Huddersfield game myself and I tried to weigh up the pros and cons of it all.

If you are going to replace the management team, then I guess there has to be multiple considerations and justifications for doing so.

You could argue that a positive that could be gained from bringing in a new management team, would be if we were to bring in someone with recent Premier League experience. We are unfortunate enough to be heading to the top flight with managerial inexperience again, just as we did with Wilder. There are a few names out there who hold experience in this league in various capacities, such as Brendan Rogers and Brian McDermott.... however I feel that in order to attract any higher calibre management team, we would have to have a workable budget as well...

But if there is any fairness in the sport, you have to agree that Hecky has more than earnt a fair crack at this. It is his biggest achievement and challenge to date, but he has delivered the goods and deserves the opportunity to go and compete at the highest level of the game.

In order to be competitive, he needs the correct backing it is as simple as that. He needs a bit of money to invest in better tools for the job. I'm not saying throw countless amounts at him because I don't think he has the former experiences to play the wholesale, expensive recruitment game. But give him a budget that will allow him to bring in a number of players that would enable us to become cometitive and hold our own.

Of course there is a sound argument for somewhat of a hybrid situation to the above... We could of course keep Hecky, Macca and Jack? And we could find an exeprienced Director Of Football behind the scenes? Someone like Brian McDermott?... He's not the most glamorous of names I know, but he's worked at Arsenal in various capacities and he knows the game and the league well.

And finally... I feel there is another consideration as well. Do you genuinely feel that we are a tenchnically gifted team?.... Personally my thoughts are NO.

We have (in my opinion) a team that is made up mainly of work horses.... I think we are quite limited in terms of technical ability and there is a huge risk of over complicating things. In terms of our own assets, we do have Berge, Ndiaye, Baldock (the international lot) and they would probably handle new ideas. But we also have a large number of limited players in my opinion....

So would a new manager be able to change things up and get anything different out of this set of lads as a whole?....

I think that Jokanovic tried to change things up and i stall new ideas. I think he attempted to change our formation and our style of play...and it didn't work. I think that Hecky's immediate revert back to 3-5-2 and 'The Wilder Way' is a clear sign that our team has been built to play in a particular shape and way....

I'm not overlt convinced that a new manager would be able to overly stamp themselves on this set of lads.

Soooo in conclusion......

If the owners stay the same....
If the investment into the squad is minimal...
If the squad is to stay the same.....

Then I see no sense in changing the management team. They know this set of lads and they known how to get the best out of them.

If suddenly we are in a position of sudden investment and disposable cash....

Then (A)... You are caution in the level in investment that you give Hecky.

Or (B).... You seek a management team with Premier League experience. BUT, I feel that if you do this.... the squad would require somewhat of a overhaul (around key players).

Great post mate. Wordy, but decent.

I would have sacked Hecky on the spot as soon as he subbed Ndiaye early in the second half on Thursday night.

It would have been the right thing to do.

I'd also be busting a gut to give Warnock one last PL hurrah to keep us up.

Tbh losing at Huddersfield took the shine off promotion for me. Almost feels like we don't deserve to go up.

Back
Top Bottom