Vive la France

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agreed - it was the best minute's silence that I've heard at the Lane for a long time (the fact that it was a minute rather than two helps).

Can't wait to hear the England fans attempting to sing La Marseillaise tonight! It might be better to tell them to sing "da da da da" instead of the words....
I only know the rude rugby song version which would not be appropiate

Generally, they only sing half of it - up to "Abreuve nos sillons".
Some tricky pronunciations in there if you're not a French speaker..."Qu'un sang impur" for example would be something like "Can song ampoor" when transliterated. Could be interesting hearing the England fans singing it.
To sing it in a french accent you have to sing while pretending your smelling some Brie

Is it? Not sure about that, it's not one of the two I would have said.
Are you thinking of the Glenn Miller "In the Mood" bit?
Just after the "All you need is love" there is a descending brass bit that sounds like the rat-ta-ta-ta-ta from Chanson D'Amour. I've heard it mentioned before but not so sure myself :)

From Wiki

"The song starts with the intro to the French national anthem, "La Marseillaise", and contains elements from Glenn Miller's 1939 hit "In the Mood", as well as elements from Wayne Shanklin's 1958 hit "Chanson D'Amour". The song is notable for its asymmetric time signature and complex changes. The main verse pattern contains a total of 29 beats, split into two 7/4 measures, a single bar of 8/4, "

Is that Chanson D'Amour the same as the Manhattan Transfer one?

Just after the "All you need is love" there is a descending brass bit that sounds like the rat-ta-ta-ta-ta from Chanson D'Amour. I've heard it mentioned before but not so sure myself :)

Yes, I suppose so. Not sure if it's deliberate or not but pretty similar.

Just found this as well

"Producer George Martin recalled that "the boys … wanted to freak out at the end, and just go mad".[13] So during the long fade-out, elements of various other songs can be heard, including "Greensleeves", Invention No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) by J.S. Bach, "In the Mood", and the Beatles' own 1963 hit "She Loves You",[14] the latter of which John sings."

Greensleeves?

Felt so proud of how the crowd conducted themselves pre game on Saturday.

Thoughts and best wishes to everyone over there, and the greatest of respect for their football team over here tonight.

Without trying to detract from your sentiment, I think it's a shame that we have to praise ourselves for managing to be quiet/stay off our phones for 1 minute to remember people who have died. I see what you're saying though, some people don't respect it.

No, never heard of them. Did they sample pop songs too?

Not exactly pop songs, but they were pioneers of experiemental techniques in the 1930s and 1940s. Schaeffer in particular was into sampling and was probably the first person to do so (in a musical setting). Have a listen!*

(*it's rubbish, but was probably very clever at the time)

Not exactly pop songs, but they were pioneers of experiemental techniques in the 1930s and 1940s. Schaeffer in particular was into sampling and was probably the first person to do so (in a musical setting). Have a listen!*

(*it's rubbish, but was probably very clever at the time)

That sounded like a message left on your phone when someone calls you from their mobile without realising.

Back
Top Bottom