Gone Elsewhere Viktor Johansson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Got to say mate I admire your confidence regarding recruitment, mines rock bottom after Gribic 😒
grbic wont be here next season i think theres something in this patterson link however unlikely it seems at 8m

I have to admit, HAVING WATCHED THE LAD NUMEROUS TIMES, I am genuinely mystified why we haven't gone after him strongly (maybe we have?). Very decent young keeper at the right age and financially probably very attainable.

Still never mind. I'll leave it to the lads and lasses who know a lot more about football than I will ever know. The same boys and girls who brought in Grbic as they are clearly so clued up. Let's hope that we find another gem. Not holding my breath.

Get Bassett back to scout our keepers. He could spot a decent one (or five)

Yes, Wilder the bigger Blade suggested not.

Above aside.

Have you seen VK play in person so to speak?
(other than when United have played RUFC)?
You don't seem to rate him (from your posts on here), or maybe you haven't seen him much.

Genuinely interested to know if/where you have formed your opinion of him as a goalkeeper? I've watched him and I like him, so interested to hear others 'wannabe scouts or not' views on the lad and where they have them? If you have watched him and think he's crap fair enough. Have you seen the lad play live for a few games?

Genuine question.

Last edited:
Above aside.

Have you seen VK play in person so to speak?
(other than when United have played RUFC)?
You don't seem to rate him (from your posts on here), or maybe you haven't seen him much.

Genuinely interested to know if/where you have formed your opinion of him as a goalkeeper? I've watched him and I like him, so interested to hear others 'wannabe scouts or not' views on the lad and why they have them?
If SUFC dont want him then I dont want him!

Players out of contract or with cheap options have all the power.

Other clubs can offer longer contracts. Anything past 2 seasons at United (especially for the £££ he will get would be club options). Why bother when you can get guaranteed money elsewhere?
Perhaps he doesn't want to play for another local club after Rotherham ?
Perhaps he knows some current United players who've told him the club isn't the happiest place currently?
Perhaps United already have a loan deal for someone like Rushworth lined up?
Perhaps United don't rate him as highly as Stoke?

He's a very good Championship keeper who's had an decent season without reaching the heights of the previous year. If he didn't play for Rotherham there'd be virtually no noise about it.

Last edited:
If you were a manager of a football team, would you be happy with the club signing players you don't want?

Well no. But I don't really get the question iro fans ina forum discussing potential transfer targets. If United don't want a certain player then no big deal. That's up to them to identify and pursue the ones they want. Doesn't stop fans discussing other players though as we don't have a list from the club of players they like/not bothered about.

It's not my job to identify or sign players for United so I don't know the full ins and outs and what would be involved in making that deal happen. However I don't need the club to tell me whether I rate a certain player or not after I've watched them myself. There's many a player who the club have signed who I thought were abysmal or really poor signings, and others I thought we should have signed and didn't and they have gone on to do very well. Conversely, there are players I thought would be a good signing who have moved to other clubs and not progressed. There's always a element of a gamble involved with any signing but you can only go with what you think will a decent signing once you have seen them and hear the rumours about transfer fees etc. Example, for £900k (rumoured fee) think VJ would be an excellent acquisition for the club (obviously I don't know the lads financial package that he would want). For £10m I wouldn't want United to sign him.

So my question to you was why are you against United signing this lad ? (even though it looks like we won't be anyway). Ive seen him live a few times and rated him so was asking a genuine question about what you thought his failings were to form an opinion of actively not wanting him to sign. As it happens it's a moot point anyway as we aren't after him anyway. Personally, I think it's potentially a missed opportunity as I think he's decent and would probably be available for the right price and for the right financial package, but I'm not overly fussed either way. As said, its not my job.

Yes, Wilder the bigger Blade suggested not.

If you were a manager of a football team, would you be happy with the club signing players you don't want?

Why do you believe Wilder has control?
By that reckoning, was Grbic a Wilder signing?

Or is the guy that made that call is the same guy rejecting the chance to sign Johansson?
If so, why give them so much credibility. Our transfer record in recent windows has been abysmal.

Why do you believe Wilder has control?
By that reckoning, was Grbic a Wilder signing?

Or is the guy that made that call is the same guy rejecting the chance to sign Johansson?
If so, why give them so much credibility. Our transfer record in recent windows has been abysmal.

Has anyone thought that the player just might not want to play for United

I have to admit, HAVING WATCHED THE LAD NUMEROUS TIMES, I am genuinely mystified why we haven't gone after him strongly (maybe we have?). Very decent young keeper at the right age and financially probably very attainable.

Still never mind. I'll leave it to the lads and lasses who know a lot more about football than I will ever know. The same boys and girls who brought in Grbic as they are clearly so clued up. Let's hope that we find another gem. Not holding my breath.

Get Bassett back to scout our keepers. He could spot a decent one (or five)
Perhaps we tried and Stoke just offered more?

Perhaps we tried and Stoke just offered more?

Quite possibly.

Or maybe we didn't fancy him.

Or maybe he didn't fancy us.

Or maybe he has a penchant for oat cakes

Or maybe his wife finds the Stoke area desirable

Actually, scrap the last one. That's not possible.

Only the lad himself, his agent, and the clubs involved will know.

Quite possibly.

Or maybe we didn't fancy him.

Or maybe he didn't fancy us.

Or maybe he has a penchant for oat cakes

Or maybe his wife finds the Stoke area desirable

Actually, scrap the last one. That's not possible.

Only the lad himself, his agent, and the clubs involved will know.
All very true - but given that I wouldn’t be “mystified why we haven’t gone after him”. :)

Has anyone thought that the player just might not want to play for United

It could also 100% be that.
I'm just questioning the faith that some seem to have in our recruitment department, when the evidence is stacked against them.

I'm also struggling to believe we've become competent in our recruitment overnight.

Johansson, on our doorstep, going cheap, felt an absolute no brainer.
We haven't, we've been incompetent since 2019 and we've suffered for it on and off the pitch. Our only successful business was Ndiaye, who we picked up on the cheap and sold for a significant profit. The shame is that if we hadn't have screwed up the contract situation we potentially could have gotten more for him.

Players out of contract or with cheap options have all the power.

Other clubs can offer longer contracts. Anything past 2 seasons at United (especially for the £££ he will get would be club options). Why bother when you can get guaranteed money elsewhere?
Perhaps he doesn't want to play for another local club after Rotherham ?
Perhaps he knows some current United players who've told him the club isn't the happiest place currently?
Perhaps United already have a loan deal for someone like Rushworth lined up?
Perhaps United don't rate him as highly as Stoke?

He's a very good Championship keeper who's had an decent season without reaching the heights of the previous year. If he didn't play for Rotherham there'd be virtually no noise about it.
Jesus are you still banging on about this 2 year contract issue that you have completely made up.

Yes. I invented counti

Yes. I invented counting 👍
I was going to say that you have no idea on the length of contacts we will be handing out but then I remembered your expertise in accounting, scouting, coaching, health and fitness, infrastructure, etc, so you are probably an expert on contracts as well. I apologise for my initial comment.

I was going to say that you have no idea on the length of contacts we will be handing out but then I remembered your expertise in accounting, scouting, coaching, health and fitness, infrastructure, etc, so you are probably an expert on contracts as well. I apologise for my initial comment.
Good chat. Always a pleasure 👍

Back
Top Bottom