View from the majority around me on the kop

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was struggling too think who would be our Scapegoat this season.
Are you nominating a scapegoat if you give your honest opinions on the footballing abilities of a footballer?

I don’t mean at the game, everyone should get behind every player at the game. But it’s the era of the internet, social media and places like this place, it really is alright to give a opinion (not abuse) on a player.

I quite like Larouci. He has the frame to be a beast, he just needs to get some aggression into his play and use his build properly. The way he was easily bowled over by Kyle Walker last week is a case in point. At the moment, he's a bit of a powder puff, similar to Berge. He needs to be working on his inner Baldock.
He's 5'9" ! Hardly a beast,neither is Berge at 6'5" for that matter, Larouci needs 3 months in the u21's to learn the role, not the premier league...he'll be targeted every week

Too early to decide on Larouchy yet.
Remember loads writing off McAtee and I was one of the few then saying how he's really rated at Man City, so it's too early to judge.

Larouchy looks a bit of an unpredictable loose cannon, which kind of makes him exciting, you don't know what to expect but that means a mistake could happen.
He's quite good getting forward and attack minded, plays like a Championship level winger who can do a bit of defending when needed.

However based on what I've seen, still prefer him to Lowe.

I don't like Lowe's casual body language, seems half asleep as though he's bot bothered about playing for us, used to think Berge also had that casual style..
where Larouchy does seem to care and want to give his best.
The Blades around me all said they have minor concerns but are prepared to give him a chance, at least Larouchy seems to be trying.

What was noticeable yesterday was that when Luke Thomas came on her seemed so calm and composed,
made the left back job look quite easy, no fuss defending, was quite impressed.
Larouici would be good in the championship, premier league - no thanks

I am really glad we got Thomas in last week. Larouci will come good, but he needs taking out of the firing line for the time being, because a lot of folk are getting on his back.

Hopefully, we don't get any more injuries in that area of the pitch in the meantime. Left sided defenders should be paid danger money at this club.
Can we loan out a loanee??

Every single person in front behind and to both sides of me had absolutely no good words to say about Larouci, I’m presuming this is replayed all over the ground? This very nearly started a fight a few rows behind too, 2 lads were both slagging him off but one wouldn’t leave him alone every minute he’d say something about Larouci it was quite comical but also heated aswel when the other lad said something along the lines of “we all know he’s shit but you don’t have to tell us all every minute !
Also another observation or rather smell was releasing itself more frequently than Larouci’s slagging from somebody’s arse.
One fart I can sort of put up with two is forgivable but 853 farts a minute surrounded by your fellow bladesmen surely it’s time to have a number 2 !!
Probably one those people with IBD/IBS when they get nervous their colon does somersaults.. if he'd went to the 🚹 might been there till the lights went out missed the match..

Not on the part of BLUT around me,but Norwood copped for regular vitriol from Mr angry next to me.
His very small children are getting well aquainted with every expletive known to man.I was embarrassed but he had no shame.Poor kids looked scared stiff.😳
I meant to mention the Norwood skating’s in my original post too. He copped for a bit nowhere near as much as Larouci though

Patience is a virtue.

Ever wondered from where this came?

It's from a Latin poem called Psychomachia by a poet called Prudentius.

It consists of a battle between Virtues a Vices.

Patience (Patientia) enrages Wrath (Ira), who attacks but cannot defeat or even injure her. Driven mad with frustration, Anger ultimately kills herself instead.

So, you know what to do. Unless anyone has any better advice that pre-dates circa 400-AD 😉

(And yes, I did use Wikipedia. I'm not that smug to suggest otherwise!😆)

Patience is a virtue.

Ever wondered from where this came?

It's from a Latin poem called Psychomachia by a poet called Prudentius.

It consists of a battle between Virtues a Vices.

Patience (Patientia) enrages Wrath (Ira), who attacks but cannot defeat or even injure her. Driven mad with frustration, Anger ultimately kills herself instead.

So, you know what to do. Unless anyone has any better advice that pre-dates circa 400-AD 😉

(And yes, I did use Wikipedia. I'm not that smug to suggest otherwise!😆)
I am no wiki or Stephen Fry but I do enjoy a good wordsmith, so thank you for that. :)

My chosen reply comes from the author, musician and satirist, the late Spike Milligan.

“Patience was invented by dull buggers who couldn’t think quick enough”. (Ithink it’s from his war memoirs).

Given the number of new signings and their level of fitness and top flight experience, Hecky is probably better off taking your advice. ;)

The thing that worries me is not so much what the Kop thinks, but how he's fitting in with the squad. I was down near the front on Saturday and saw a couple of things that concerned me on the pitch - after Everton's opener JLT was right up in Larouci's face shouting at him, and when they left the pitch at half time YL looked to be on his own noticeably away from the main group. I feel a bit for the lad tbh.

This was something you very rarely saw after even the worst individual mistakes in recent seasons and needs nipping in the bud. If the dressing room isn't all in it together we're going down, simple as that.

Larouci looked exactly what he is, a 5th choice LWB (behind RND, Lowe, Osborn, and now Thomas). When Thomas came on he did at least looked like he'd played professional football before and was a major upgrade.

The thing that worries me is not so much what the Kop thinks, but how he's fitting in with the squad. I was down near the front on Saturday and saw a couple of things that concerned me on the pitch - after Everton's opener JLT was right up in Larouci's face shouting at him, and when they left the pitch at half time YL looked to be on his own noticeably away from the main group. I feel a bit for the lad tbh.

This was something you very rarely saw after even the worst individual mistakes in recent seasons and needs nipping in the bud. If the dressing room isn't all in it together we're going down, simple as that.
Think JLT is a bit of a twat and sort of expect that from him. For me Larouci is 50/50 50% good and 50% bad which I'm afraid means overall bad. Nobody was out and out slagging him off, but tension when he got the ball was there for all to see. So far he looks a liability.

Being fair to JLT so far he's stepped up; but he also is always one step away from a fuck up- very nearly gave Everton a goal in first half.

Overall feeling from Saturday was a massive relief to walk away with a point; grinding out 35 of 'em seems some task.

I've found the Blades on the Kop nothing but positive. They've/we've been brilliant this season. None of the negativity you find on here or X. It's reminded me why I became a Blade in the first place.
There's been significant noisy encouragement after we've gone a goal down which drowns out the away celebration

Just before he went off injured, he was absolutely clattered and although the ref gave a foul, he refused to allow Larouci to be treated. In fact, I thought the ref was going to allow the free kick to be taken while he was still on the floor.

Eventually, he tracked back, then went down again and had to come off. The ref saw the heavy challenge and it was at a point when we were pushing forward, it wasn’t a time wasting injury and ended Larouci’s game.

I felt sorry for the lad and it makes me wonder why the ref refused to allow him treatment and what if that ended up causing a worse injury? Refs allow the trainer on at the drop of a hat generally, no idea what made this case different.
This was an example of terrible refereeing - ref can't just tell a player to "get up" , if the player is down and needs treatment , the physio should come on - bizarre by ref

Every single person in front behind and to both sides of me had absolutely no good words to say about Larouci, I’m presuming this is replayed all over the ground? This very nearly started a fight a few rows behind too, 2 lads were both slagging him off but one wouldn’t leave him alone every minute he’d say something about Larouci it was quite comical but also heated aswel when the other lad said something along the lines of “we all know he’s shit but you don’t have to tell us all every minute !
Also another observation or rather smell was releasing itself more frequently than Larouci’s slagging from somebody’s arse.
One fart I can sort of put up with two is forgivable but 853 farts a minute surrounded by your fellow bladesmen surely it’s time to have a number 2 !!
I heard “worst player we’ve ever had” presumably from somebody who hadn’t watched us prior to 2017

Larouchi needs to learn how to defend. I am not slagging the lad off but he is definitely a weak link defensively that opposition will exploit. Lad has talent. Can Hecky and co teach him to defend? If so he could develop into exciting player. He is still very young. Glad we have got Thomas. Looked decent when came on. Hopefully can take on LWB role and give YL chance to learn. Would maybe be a good option on bench to bring on for last 15 mins if we are chasing the game and need someone to run at a tiring defence?

What's taken people by surprise is that Larouci's deficiencies are so basic.
Positional sense , getting tight to his man , not trying impossible shots , being so one-footed.
I also think the fact that it's a loan rather than a transfer has placed increased expectations (we normally borrow a player to get quality we don't already have).
His attitude is good and hopefully he can be coached to improve.
What I don't understand is where Hecky saw him fitting in - did we borrow him to play him in the U23s ?
He's only in the matchday squad due to injuries. He is nowhere near ready to play in the PL but that's not his fault.
Let's hope Thomas stays fit for a while and Larouci can get out of the limelight , get some coaching and play a few games for the U23s so his match fitness improves in case he has to come off the bench.

Are you nominating a scapegoat if you give your honest opinions on the footballing abilities of a footballer?

I don’t mean at the game, everyone should get behind every player at the game. But it’s the era of the internet, social media and places like this place, it really is alright to give a opinion (not abuse) on a player.
Radical mate!

Some seem to believe everything must be positive whether it's what you believe or not. Especially the Uri Geller tribute act.

Having an opinion on a players ability or performance is fine by me if its respectful and not abusive.

I also find it daft that giving an opinion that might not be too complimentary automatically means to some that you're also likely to get on said players back at the game.

Every player needs maximum support this season as the harsh reality at present is that quite a few are playing above their level.

Having that view doesn't mean you're making them a scapegoat.

Bash is one of my favourites ever but I'm concerned if he plays regularly this season.

What's taken people by surprise is that Larouci's deficiencies are so basic.
Positional sense , getting tight to his man , not trying impossible shots , being so one-footed.
I also think the fact that it's a loan rather than a transfer has placed increased expectations (we normally borrow a player to get quality we don't already have).
His attitude is good and hopefully he can be coached to improve.
What I don't understand is where Hecky saw him fitting in - did we borrow him to play him in the U23s ?
He's only in the matchday squad due to injuries. He is nowhere near ready to play in the PL but that's not his fault.
Let's hope Thomas stays fit for a while and Larouci can get out of the limelight , get some coaching and play a few games for the U23s so his match fitness improves in case he has to come off the bench.

Not to pile on the lad. I don’t think he was terrible against Everton by any stretch or even bad. But he has obvious deficiencies defending / tackling being one them (just seems to run into his man rather than actually making a tackle.)

But the point about the loan is they key one to me. Why were we loaning someone who’s clearly a project and wasn’t trusted to start over our weakest link(s).

Was there no other left back in the world available who was seen as an upgrade on lowe / Osborn or the ghost of RND? Bizarre that larouci was the route we went down - we could presumably just have loaned Thomas in the first instance?

All things considered I’m glad we have not shelled out 4/5m for him and can see how he progresses over the season. You can certainly see he could be an asset if we are chasing games in an attacking sense.

Think he was a loan with an option to buy wasn't he? Given that we have unlimited foreign loans available maybe the idea was indeed to get him in the u23s and around the fringes of the matchday squad before committing to buy him, as there is potential there but someone was understandably not convinced.

Pundits on Talksport were very positive about him. Saw his rawness, but also his potential and athleticism.

Pundits on Talksport were very positive about him. Saw his rawness, but also his potential and athleticism.
Good for them, what I saw was a kid that is no way ready in any shape or form.

1- Slightly overweight- needs to lose a stone and be ripped.
2- Slow decision maker - 2 steps off the pace.
3- Love to see a player take people on , but some of the times he chose were bad decisions.
4- Positional sense for a full back- very poor - can be taught- but worrying at this level.

Needs matches in youth set up and needs to exceed expectations there, before starts again.

Would never voice this loudly at the match - ever , but you are allowed on here to be honest, he isn't up to it right now.

Last edited:
Good going forward but not so good going backwards, hopefully he can work on that aspect.

I am no wiki or Stephen Fry but I do enjoy a good wordsmith, so thank you for that. :)

My chosen reply comes from the author, musician and satirist, the late Spike Milligan.

“Patience was invented by dull buggers who couldn’t think quick enough”. (Ithink it’s from his war memoirs).

Given the number of new signings and their level of fitness and top flight experience, Hecky is probably better off taking your advice. ;)
Not Spike Milligan but similar era and your post reminded me of a Peter Cook audio that I once heard and he was describing a spider reacting to a threat and his comment was "immediately, the spider did nothing!"

Don't know why and it's going a little off-topic but the concept of immediately doing nothing really tickled me!

I can just imagine at times that being the reaction of our recruitment team 😉

Good for them, what I saw was a kid that is no way ready in any shape or form.

1- Slightly overweight- needs to lose a stone and be ripped.
2- Slow decision maker - 2 steps off the pace.
3- Love to see a player take people on , but some of the times he chose were bad decisions.
4- Positional sense for a full back- very poor - can be taught- but worrying at this level.

Needs matches in youth set up and needs to exceed expectations there, before starts again.

Would never voice this loudly at the match - ever , but you are allowed on here to be honest, he isn't up to it right now.
I hold a similar view, I wouldn’t voice it loudly at a match as not to spread negativity but it’s clear he’s costing us right now, I do agree he’s improving game on game slightly but he can’t start again while Luke Thomas is fit in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom