Roy's View From... View From Brentford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've got quite a temper on me when I'm riled, and they RILED me! It was nice to have the odd Blade give me support as I told them they were "Chelsea fans but without the success" and that it was embarrassing that they couldn't even muster a fake atmosphere when they played Hey Jude at the end.
It was good to see you,hopefully after a win next time.

I can remember their comments from our first season back in the Championship after promotion, we played them at the Lane first game of the season. Their comments on “The View From…” were just as arrogant: we were about to get a lesson from an established Championship club, we would be no match for their football etc etc. We won 1-0. They were the same in the away game and in the following season‘s fixtures too. They really do view themselves as something quite special.
All the smaller London teams (whatever the league) are exactly the same.

Not interested in a "My Dad's bigger than yours" type argument etc, but would like to point out that far from "losing interest", our owner is just looking for additional investment to allow the club to compete in an ever-more moneyed league (at worst), or get BFC to the next level (at best).

And he's not really a "sugar daddy", since that implies he's just splashing money all round him on his latest young bit of fluff, before moving on to the next one. He's been Brentford since he was a small boy and such money as he has invested has really only been on a new stadium with a 50(?) year life - the team itself is pretty much required to 'wash its own face'.

Of course Bees fans are hopeful that he can continue to pull off this trick for another bit, but don't be fooled by a few noisy dickheads on social media etc - every club has its share of those.

Whereas the great majority of our support knows that one bad season could see us out of the top flight again and if that didn't kill us for the vast majority of our history before, it won't kill us if/when it happens again.

Meanwhile, good luck to the Blades - I'd rather clubs like you or Luton stayed in the PL than one like eg Forest or Everton, who trashed the self-same spending rules that that the rest of us have abided by.
Good post. Although I think that the comments on Roy’s View … show that plenty of fans are oblivious to how quickly things can go wrong for smaller clubs in the Premier League. We could have been smug when we were challenging for Europe (and shame on any of us who were!).
I watched the match and didn’t see that much difference between the two sides except for our poor goalie and a couple of your better players (names escape me). The fact that Maupay is anywhere near your starting 11 is a cause for concern on its own!
Despite my posting, I have no hard feelings towards Brentford as a club, and would be happy for them to stay up and blacken the eyes of the big boys as Brighton are doing.

The fact that Maupay is anywhere near your starting 11 is a cause for concern on its own!
Despite my posting, I have no hard feelings towards Brentford as a club, and would be happy for them to stay up and blacken the eyes of the big boys as Brighton are doing.
You say that about Maupay, but we signed him for £1.6m(?) in 2017, he scored 37 goals in 85 Championship games then we sold him to Brighton 2 years later for around £20m. While he was popular around the club and a good trainer etc.

The point being that since we've come into PL money etc, we've moved on from that sort of signing - eg signing Kevin Schade, a 22 y.o. German international striker for £22m last June after a six month loan. Problem was Schade got a very bad long term injury soon after (made his return off the bench against you), at the same time as Toney was serving his 8 month ban.

Therefore Maupay was just a quick, temporary fix on loan from Everton, who we knew would fit in immediately. And with 6 PL goals already, he's done his bit (whilst also being the leading PL scorer on Everton's books this season!). We probably won't sign him again permanently, but if we do, it will purely as a squad player and because he'll be cheap, as Everton look to reduce costs desperately.

Btw, I seem to recall that Sheff U were in for Maupay at the time he went to Brighton, but signed McBurnie instead for something similar. I'm not sure that you got better value for money, though you may disagree.

You say that about Maupay, but we signed him for £1.6m(?) in 2017, he scored 37 goals in 85 Championship games then we sold him to Brighton 2 years later for around £20m. While he was popular around the club and a good trainer etc.

The point being that since we've come into PL money etc, we've moved on from that sort of signing - eg signing Kevin Schade, a 22 y.o. German international striker for £22m last June after a six month loan. Problem was Schade got a very bad long term injury soon after (made his return off the bench against you), at the same time as Toney was serving his 8 month ban.

Therefore Maupay was just a quick, temporary fix on loan from Everton, who we knew would fit in immediately. And with 6 PL goals already, he's done his bit (whilst also being the leading PL scorer on Everton's books this season!). We probably won't sign him again permanently, but if we do, it will purely as a squad player and because he'll be cheap, as Everton look to reduce costs desperately.

Btw, I seem to recall that Sheff U were in for Maupay at the time he went to Brighton, but signed McBurnie instead for something similar. I'm not sure that you got better value for money, though you may disagree.
I am talking about his recent form, as he was horrendous for Everton! I’m personally a McB fan, though many aren’t. When he plays, he tends to score regularly. He just doesn’t play regularly!!

Back
Top Bottom