Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were having the worst start in Premier League history. It's hardly surprising that the manager offered his resignation. Not really buying this £4m stuff.

FFS it wasnt JUST him.
Did I miss something and it was 11 CWs on the pitch every week?
Or maybe he did all the scouting, recruitment and sorted out the wages and coaching?
He's entitled for some pay off. But to suggest it was HIM that got is to the PL is doing a disrespect to everyone else who helped get us there. It was a team effort.
Ye the team he made

I'm no legal eagle, but if CW has signed an NDA does this mean he can't respond in kind ?

I have no Dog in the fight, I’m not a Wikderism cultist who believed he could do no wrong and never be sacked, but I thought he should get at least three months next season to turn things around, there is no question he got things badly wrong this season, but should get some leeway based on his record the previous 5 years.

Having got that out of the way I will say that HRH actually comes off very well in that video, he sounds sensible and rational unlike some other owners I could mention nearby, (of course we have yet to hear CWs side of this)

Also talking a good game is only one side of the coin for The Prince, he has to back that up over the coming seasons with his actions at the club, making the correct appointment, supporting the new manager, improving the training facilities / Academy and the biggest threat of all keeping us at the Lane Once McCabe occupies the corners of the site.
I agree to a point regards PA. The mud slinging and allegations of a money grab should not be a matter of public record and to me comes off as petty point scoring for no tangible benefit.

The other areas regards recruitment I agree with. I do think the likes of Brewster and Ramsdale will turn out to be good long term signings but it is obvious now and seemed obvious at the start of the season of the need to bring in players that would improve us this season and that didn't happen. Who knows who we passed up on - and how accurate that is - but maybe a bit more give and take was needed all round.

What seems clear now is the the relationship had run its course.

I think the Prince maybe is a little naive when it comes to the wage structure and what’s required based on what he’s said.
I’d say his annoyance is more around it being used as an excuse for poor performance while some players are well paid, but I think he needs to look at what the clubs pay around us.

I'm no legal eagle, but if CW has signed an NDA does this mean he can't respond in kind ?
You don’t have to stay silent to slander. The NDA normally has clauses for both sides. If he’s signed one which allows the club to rip him to bits (which this interview doesn’t do incidentally), he must have got paid a lot more than he was entitled to. I just can’t see it and I don’t think it would be legal to slanderous lies.

Last edited:
You don’t have to stay silent to slander. The NDA normally has clauses for both sides. If he’s signed one which allows the club to rip him to bits (which this interview doesn’t do incidentally), he must have got paid a lot more than he was entitled to. I just can’t see it.
It doesn't rip him to bits, but it's clearly one version of events. Which I'm not inclined to doubt btw.

I think the Prince maybe is a little naive when it comes to the wage structure and what’s required based on what he’s said.
I’d say his annoyance is more around it being used as an excuse for poor performance while some players are well paid, but I think he needs to look at what the clubs pay around us.

But in fairness, it appears he’s offered up alternatives from other markets that Wilder hasn’t been interested in who are now performing at other clubs. He mentioned that Chris was narrow minded with transfers and was only shopping in one market which we could all see.

That has to be the biggest frustration knowing the players we have brought in wouldn’t have been as good as the others and for better value.

I think he’s well aware other clubs can pay more wages than us but at least it appears he’s looking at solutions to that problem to allow us to compete. If the manager isn’t interested in his suggestions, what else can the Prince do?

no doubt we aren’t paying competitive salaries.

that said the return from

Robinson
Freeman
Mousset
Brewster
Mcburnie

have all been negligible. Do we make any of those again in hindsight

even ramsdale to to be fair to him has shown character and started to play well - you’d argue 20m is ALOT.

berge has done ok but again for 22m - you’d want to have seen more from him.

I don’t think the recruitment has really been good enough by any stretch, so slagging the board off at every opportunity when he’s had 120m - was never going to go down well. And probably neither was refusing to take any direction on recruitment (albeit I admit wilders record probably affords him that right).

It doesn't rip him to bits, but it's clearly one version of events. Which I'm not inclined to doubt btw.
Yup, but in fairness we’ve been getting the otherside dripping through the press for months.
The Prince is either a media genius or this is a genuine as his version of events as he sees it.
I’d love someone like Bladezz or other posters who are adamant in their support of Chris which bits they disagree with or feel are lies or unfair.
It’s seems on the face of it to fit perfectly with what we’ve been seeing and hearing.

Hmm first suggestion of possible board influence in transfers.
We were looking at attacking midfield or forwards in Jan, and then it changed to defensive midfielders and the Prince didn’t agree. He thought we had enough but weren’t creating or scoring enough.
He also though last January transfer window was poor.

no doubt we aren’t paying competitive salaries.

that said the return from

Robinson
Freeman
Mousset
Brewster
Mcburnie

have all been negligible. Do we make any of those again in hindsight

even ramsdale to to be fair to him has shown character and started to play well - you’d argue 20m is ALOT.

berge has done ok but again for 22m - you’d want to have seen more from him.

I don’t think the recruitment has really been good enough by any stretch, so slagging the board off at every opportunity when he’s had 120m - was never going to go down well. And probably neither was refusing to take any direction on recruitment (albeit I admit wilders record probably affords him that right).

Surely, by signing those players, who at the time of signing where either at a PL club or who had just had very good championship seasons, it proved we paid competitive wages? 🤔

I think Chris will speak out at some point. But I think it will be a while yet. He'll wait for the dust to settle.

I think Chris will speak out at some point. But I think it will be a while yet. He'll wait for the dust to settle.
He can't be a dick to an owner who doesn't do exactly what he wants. His press conference digs this year will have effected his employability. Rich people don't like their employees publicly complaining

The prince comes across well. Resigning twice suggests Chris had given up - maybe the pressure was too much and mental health issues were at play?

The prince gave him assurances but these weren't enough. As a manager I have seen it before, someone resigns who you don't want to leave, you persuade them to stay and address their issues but invariably they still go.

Good luck to Chris - take a well deserved rest and then start again.

To the prince - get the manager recruitment right with someone proven at championship level. At £4 million a year shouldn't be hard!

Let’s be fair. While Chris says very little directly, his version of events tends to get out via his mates and contacts.
Just finished the full interview and everyone should watch it.
While there are obvious disagreements, and it did get to the end of the road for both, it’s very fair and balanced. This isn’t a stitch up job by any means.

Back
Top Bottom