Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

still doesnt change the fact. he resigned because he was effectively competing in best league in the world with 1 hand behind his back

as i always say you dont see man city giving Guardiola his C list targets & a bottom half wage budget. then angry at him as to why they arent challenging for the title or getting to champions league latter stages

To summarise, nobody has come out of this particularly badly.

Except for a substantial proportion of the fanbase.

That protected class who can do or say no wrong. The pearl-clutching twats who can sling as much shit as they like but get all snivellingly indignant when their own integrity is called into question.

I would tell them to fuck off to Hillsborough, but I'm not sure I'd even inflict them on the Grunters. It'd be like using chemical weapons in a war.

The willingness of some of our fans to lap up what the media offer them will never fail to surprise me.

No one is asking the question "what has put Wilder to the point where he wants to walk away?".

I'm not saying Abdullah is wrong or lying, just that some people need to not just accept what they're told like good little lap dogs.
I thought that was covered even if you don't believe it.

There was no DoF but they wanted him to look wider in his transfer targets, and give them a wider net from which to land. - CW disagreed.
They wanted more influence in who we looked to sign. - CW disagreed but it does match what was coming out from the pro Wilder press just prior to him leaving.
They blocked the January transfers - Again we know CW disagreed, and again it was in the press he was unhappy they'd done that.
He was struggling to get results out of the team and felt he'd done all he can. - Obviously highly subjective, but there is the clip of CW saying he'd had enough and his interviews certainly changed in tone.

I thought that was a good presentation by the owner. Of course it is only one side of the story but it is clear that the working relationship had broken down; it is sad but elite sport is a pressurised environment and these things happen.

CWAK achieved remarkable success and I doubt we will ever have that ‘one of our own’ sense of connectedness again within the club. It is the end of an era but that doesn’t stop us supporting our team, nor does it mean that we can’t have success again. I’ve been going to BDTBL since ‘71 and I must admit that I had that ‘here we go again’ feeling when the news broke...but there is no historical inevitability about what happens next. We have a squad of players with a proven track record of success at Championship level and if we manage that squad properly then we should make a real go of it next season.

As the Crab says the most important thing now is not what is said but what actually happens next. I fear that they want to give Hecky the job...all this talk about our ‘outstanding U23s’ is uncomfortably close to Kev’s ‘his replacement is already at the club’ schtick. Hecky might be a lovely chap but is he really first choice to bring us back up?

It’s all on the owners now. Get the next appointment right, get the squad right and I think we can be optimistic for the future.

We the fans are like the innocent children in the middle of a divorce.

Someone on Twitter nailed it for me, there are 3 sides to this story - Wilders, PA's and the truth (which I fully suspect is somewhere in the middle).

Its now a time where we (fans) need to be grown up. Accept that a manager, who gave us success beyond comprehension, has gone but also acknowledge that he was a contributing factor in the circumstances that led to him leaving.

Emotions were high when he left - I think we all felt like we had been ambushed with the way it had suddenly happened and we all reacted with snap emotions.

The dust has settled and I think a lot of us are realising its not all THAT bad. We have an opportunity to kick on and use the platform left by CW to execute what we wanted had he stayed - immediate promotion.

Recruitment was hit and miss under CW and as a chairman I think I'd feel like PA does and offer guidance or ask searching questions of my manager. This is somehting I am looking forward to should we appoint a Jovanovic type person - us expanding our target market geographically.

I miss CW and cant thank him enough for what hes achieved and given me and my son in terms of experiences and memories. But it was 4/5 years - a dot in our history. We will have more good managers, we will also have more bad ones.

We can have it both ways - adore CW for his achievements, but also look positively to the next steps and back the club. And that's where I am now.

This interview was badly needed, it gives us all an explanation and insight into what’s been going on. It’s great to see a bit of transparency and accountability and it would be nice to see Chris Wilders version of events as well. The wheels had to come off at some point, let’s hope the right appointment is made next

still doesnt change the fact. he resigned because he was effectively competing in best league in the world with 1 hand behind his back

as i always say you dont see man city giving Guardiola his C list targets & a bottom half wage budget. then angry at him as to why they arent challenging for the title or getting to champions league latter stages

Wilder and Prince have both said they wouldn’t put the financial future of the club at risk. Would you rather we did that and spent money we couldn’t afford?

It was Wilders choice to go for his third and fourth choices in the English market rather than exploring a wider scouting network which would have offered us much greater value for money.

Media offer ?

Its an interview with the prince on video you literally cant get a more trusted source ? Albeit one side of the story

Depends if you trust him. I don't.

One of the reasons being that if Wilder has resigned then he doesn't get a payoff, if he's paid him off then he hasn't walked. The use of the £4m in the interview seems to me like a strategy to get working class Sheffielders to turn against Wilder. It seems to have worked with some.

I don't think that question needs asking. Overseeing a team that had played half a season and had 2 points on the board answers it for you, we were/are fucking awful and he was the manager overseeing it.

Ignore the previous 4 seasons then. Not many would have been able to achieve what he had in those seasons.

Not sure why people are moaning about a years salary pay off, we'd all want a payoff in the same boat.
Complete bollocks.

When I left my job with a bank having put them in a prominent place in my local market place and having made them a lot of money in the process not only did I not ask for a payoff but I had to sell up and down size my property to fund living expenses for myself and my family.

I'm not complaining about any of the above, they were all part of the choice that I made having fallen out of love with the business and having some real issues with my senior line management.

I can just picture the look on my manager's face if I'd asked for a good pay off to fund my decision.

If you decide to walk then you have to be willing to pay the price. Why on earth should anyone else subsidise you, least of all the employer you are walking away from?

I feel this too Rod, but at the same time I think PA has taken some pretty shocking criticism of late, a lot of which is either way over the top or just unfair. I think there are some points in this interview that needed to come out (the resignation point in particular), and for me, it's better that PA comes out and says it like this, rather than trying to influence through off-record briefings to local media. I do totally get what you're saying, and my starting point when I saw that PA had given an interview was exactly the same as yours, but on balance I understand it.
I'd strongly suspect that this is now it from the club. A line has been drawn where the general accusations have been answered.
They may answer questions on it if it's brought up in a fans forum, but officially I'd be surprised if they don't now move on.

Ye would have been better to never get near the Premier league. Not saying he's not his fault. Saying that he's been the main reason for bringing in hundreds of millions. I think after such an unbelievable 5 years asking for £4m is fine.
But he has already been paid handsomely for his services over the last 5 years plus I would imagine some very good performance related bonus payments

Just think it’s a bit tin pot. Washing dirty laundry in public is never a good look IMHO.
He has taken so much abuse from fans online. If what he's said is true he's just being transparent.

He's received dogs abuse online with pages specifically created requesting he leaves the club. In a world of no social media I think he probably doesn't do this interview, but with the rumour mill the way it is I understand why he's done it.

I think he was naive to say what players earn, what's in players contracts and what we've payed for players. However agents will tell interested clubs that anyway

I think he has a right to publicly defend himself, he's had a rough ride this season managing Wilder.

I had stuffing wi mi tea last night, skids a plenty this morning. Just heading down to John Lewis to hang mi kegs in window.....nowt better than airing mucky weshing for all to see.

Not sure there is anything really new from the Prince there. We all kinda new what had gone in regards transfers etc. But surely they could have got their heads together and put out a joint statement that wouldn’t look like it he says she says shit. Roll on Wilders reply. 🤨

The Prince comes across well and genuine. I'd like to hear Chris's side of the story, but if it's true that he felt the team needed a change and a new voice then surely he's done the best thing by resigning. Chris will always be a legend and will be remembered for those magical 4 years but it's time to move on.

Arguably the most important decision for PA since owning the club is the next managerial appointment. If he gets it right we'll be enjoying a promotion season.

Did you listen to the interview ?

4 million a year wow, then comments about us balking @ jokanvic at 2 million in the press
Not happy that we have lost Chris but we move on, TBF PA comes out of that looking quite good and looks genuinely as looking out for the future of the club
Seems to me CW thought he was bigger than the club and very stubborn where transfer targets were concerned
A smaller transfer fee for a player who is probably just as good as a player for twice the money allows you to set the wages higher
Ah well we move on

There's nothing innocent about some of them.

I'd rather have Jeffrey Dahmer make me a Sunday roast than be associated with some of those arseholes.
What is it specifically that makes you hate these people so much? I honestly don't understand what has made you get like this.

But he has already been paid handsomely for his services over the last 5 years plus I would imagine some very good performance related bonus payments
Yep but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for that. It's not just he's done quite well. If we go back to times in the championship we were in trouble financially. He's added hundreds of millions to us. Even if you don't agree this greedy cunt stuff is fucking ridiculous. Even more laughable is these clowns proclaiming he's not really one of our own. Like they are.

Good for PA to put across his side of things and put some of the speculation to bed. CW would undoubtedly have a different take on some aspects but doubt he can speak if took a settlement under NDA. They are both part of our recent success and am grateful to both. UTB

There's nothing innocent about some of them.

I'd rather have Jeffrey Dahmer make me a Sunday roast than be associated with some of those arseholes.

Whether you like it or not, you are one of these arseholes.

One of us, one of us, one of us.

Wilder and Prince have both said they wouldn’t put the financial future of the club at risk. Would you rather we did that and spent money we couldn’t afford?

but there is spending beyond their means like villa in 1st season & Fulham 3 years ago then there is competing. what has happened. because there highly likely championship teams with bigger wage budgets than us

like i always when we wanted Callum Wilson & we couldn't even competed on wages with newly relegated Bournemouth highly likely wilson had to take pay cut despite moving from championship to premier league . how are we supposed to complete v other rivals . that goes for Robinson, Cash, Watkins, Barkley, Eze, Swift etc.

It’s complex what’s happened but I think it’s both a bit of give and take. Last summer, Ollie Watkins, Matty Cash, Antonee Robinson and Said Benarhama amongst others were mentioned on here as potential targets for us and the rumour was that Wilder was keen to sign them. I don’t think Wilder has an issue identifying good quality targets, it’s being able to compete financially.

I think we know that the Prince can’t afford for us to compete in that market, he knows that and Wilder also knew that. They’ve both stated they won’t put us in financial difficulty so that writes off most of Wilder’s first choice targets at this level.

To the Prince’s credit, he’s actively looked for solutions to make us competitive at this level. As presumed, we do have a wider scouting network that has been able to identify players for us, however Wilder has rejected these players and continued to go for his third and fourth choices in the English market. The further down the list he goes, the less value for money we get. An equivalent Oli McBurnie or Rhian Brewster or Aaron Ramsdale from abroad, may potentially be as much as half what we paid for the above players.
This whole wilder identifies good targets is a myth if he doesn’t identify gettable players, anyone can identify good players but good recruitment fishes in the correct pond to catch the right fish.

Think of the “filter out unrealistic targets” feature on football manager, if you don’t tick that you’ll have a lot of disappointing negotiations on it

Back
Top Bottom