UnRavelling the Ravel Mystery

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dunno whether it'll happen or not. But it's worth bearing in mind that he didn't really manage much pre-season with his heal injury and he probably wasn't much near fitness before then.

I dunno whether it'll happen or not. But it's worth bearing in mind that he didn't really manage much pre-season with his heal injury and he probably wasn't much near fitness before then.

And with game time it's still taking Mousset time to get 100%, and he didn't have any injuries.

Square pegs for round holes don’t really seem the best option for me.

And with game time it's still taking Mousset time to get 100%, and he didn't have any injuries.

Mousset is clearly not 100% is he. He's either 60 minutes or 30 minutes a game.

A centre middy would probably be expected to be able to do a full 90, or near enough.

Jeez, start a thread and watch as everyone ignores the content and sees nothing but the headline...

There are many midfield players ahead of Ravel in the pecking order for a variety of reasons. But we don't have a like for like alternate option for McGoldrick. But we seem to play better when Didsy is in the team. So what happens when he's injured/suspended? Do we change the style of play? (as we did earlier in the season to little effect) Or do we put someone in that might already suit that particular role? Because I look at the squad and there's nobody else that fits the bill.
That’s what most are like on here. You made a really good point, and the way you think is probably the way the management team think. For a pro manager running a club it’s not a case of “he had a bad game, bin him” like a fan would, they have to think about the outlay spent on the player, the contract they’re on and what they can give back to the club. Whether that be this week, next month or next year.
Under CW, players don’t get frozen out lightly. We aren’t the Pigs or fucking Blackwell and the like. CW gets every ounce out of every player he possibly can.
He may well send him out in Jan, but if he does, that will be the last straw and it won’t be the easy option. CW will look after every penny for this football club.
Watch this space, we are only 10 games in.

Everyone always points to Morrison's 'unreal ability' and that it is his attitude that has held him back. I'm not so sure. As has been the case with countless other talented youngsters, I just don't think he has that indefinable 'it' to transfer his skills to the man's game. Maybe it's physicality, maybe it's that what's looks great when playing among other 18 year olds just doesn't work among grizzly professionals, I don't know. Besides a few glimpses, he's never convinced a professional footballer, it's not like he's someone who burned brightly for a yar or two then faded away.

I have no special insight here. Perhaps it is just an attitude thing. But I've heard nothing to suggest that his attitude has been poor since he's joined us. It's clearly not working out but he doesn't seem to have fallen out with anyone, it's just that he can't force his way into the team.

As Ravel is consistently not even making the bench for games, clearly he's not able to slot into the midfield system we've deployed so successfully this year. Perhaps when we signed him there was a big question mark over how things might pan out over the course of the first few games and if we ever needed to change the midfield approach then Ravel might have been more in the reckoning. His attitude right now could well be A* but as things stand he won't get a sniff, especially when we've shelved out big money for those ahead of him on the bench.

So I have a suggestion...

Before we completely write the lad off, perhaps there's an other area of the pitch where we might be able to deploy him without disrupting the current setup. Considering how unsettled we've been up top, with numerous combinations to varying degrees of success, one thing I think we can all agree on is that McGoldrick would appear to be CW's first choice striker in his linking/floating role, a decision I believe most fans would agree with. However we saw recently what happened when he was unavailable for a few games - we kept rotating strikers and struggled to find the onion bag.

This is where Ravel could step in.

He was developed by Manchester United as a centre forward. We saw first hand how devastating a forward he can be and his talent for finding the net when he destroyed our defence at Old Trafford in the FA Youth Cup Final. Although since he's been playing more of a midfield role, perhaps his skills are better suited to the role Didsy currently plays? Both players have buckets of flair, like to float into spaces in the opposition half, run with the ball and have a pop at goal as and when required. In fact Ravel might edge Didsy in that last department! So why not develop him as an understudy? There's no way he could fit into our midfield but it could be short sighted to let his talents go completely to waste by not considering him at all in any other area.

I'm curious to see what others think about this.

I think you’re Ravel’s dad or agent.

I think you are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist Yet. I would like Morrison to get a starting place and pull a few trees up for us.
The problem that doesn't exist yet is in two parts.
If Didsy gets injured, who do we replace him with?
A striker, or an attacking midfielder?
Does Wider have options that currently seem better than Morrison? Yes.
I'm hoping Morrisons recovery means that he is a slow burner. Time is on his side, provided he is prepared to be patient.
It may be that CWAK want to bring him on quicker. If that's the case, the obvious option is to get him game time out on loan, but with the right team and under close scrutiny.

As Ravel is consistently not even making the bench for games, clearly he's not able to slot into the midfield system we've deployed so successfully this year. Perhaps when we signed him there was a big question mark over how things might pan out over the course of the first few games and if we ever needed to change the midfield approach then Ravel might have been more in the reckoning. His attitude right now could well be A* but as things stand he won't get a sniff, especially when we've shelved out big money for those ahead of him on the bench.

So I have a suggestion...

Before we completely write the lad off, perhaps there's an other area of the pitch where we might be able to deploy him without disrupting the current setup. Considering how unsettled we've been up top, with numerous combinations to varying degrees of success, one thing I think we can all agree on is that McGoldrick would appear to be CW's first choice striker in his linking/floating role, a decision I believe most fans would agree with. However we saw recently what happened when he was unavailable for a few games - we kept rotating strikers and struggled to find the onion bag.

This is where Ravel could step in.

He was developed by Manchester United as a centre forward. We saw first hand how devastating a forward he can be and his talent for finding the net when he destroyed our defence at Old Trafford in the FA Youth Cup Final. Although since he's been playing more of a midfield role, perhaps his skills are better suited to the role Didsy currently plays? Both players have buckets of flair, like to float into spaces in the opposition half, run with the ball and have a pop at goal as and when required. In fact Ravel might edge Didsy in that last department! So why not develop him as an understudy? There's no way he could fit into our midfield but it could be short sighted to let his talents go completely to waste by not considering him at all in any other area.

I'm curious to see what others think about this.

I think you’ve made a great point here, he could very well be deployed into that position, I wouldnt be surprised if CWAK havent already identified this as a possibility.

Be a massive shame if he doesnt get a chance however with the way we’re set up at the moment it’s about the unit and players having to be able to fulfil specific roles, at the minute cant see where he would fit other than where you’ve mentioned.

I've literally never seen him play more than about 12 minutes live. Doubt anyone else has seen much more.

Nobody knows, but it's not promising so far

I’ve seen both his games. The difficultly I saw was getting him involved in the game. Short of a pre-match dose of amphetamine, I don’t have any answers.

Screenshot_20191102_133034_com.instagram.android.jpg

Looks like Rav is in the squad today.

Mousset is clearly not 100% is he. He's either 60 minutes or 30 minutes a game.

A centre middy would probably be expected to be able to do a full 90, or near enough.

You've missed my point. If Mousset is still unfit despite the first team game time and an injury free time so far at United, how on Earth is Morrison supposed to be up to speed given the heel problem and years in the wilderness??

I think all the fringe players will play a part and how they perform will have a big bearing on how we end up
For me the only player who can cover Norwood is ravel so he's only one injury suspension away from playing I just hope he has the discipline to play what is a key role in our system and not one you can just walk into

I think you’ve made a great point here, he could very well be deployed into that position, I wouldnt be surprised if CWAK havent already identified this as a possibility.

Be a massive shame if he doesnt get a chance however with the way we’re set up at the moment it’s about the unit and players having to be able to fulfil specific roles, at the minute cant see where he would fit other than where you’ve mentioned.
CWAK will be looking at ways to get him involved as long as he is fit (obviously way off match fitness)and has right attitude

There's no mystery.

He isn't good enough. His career speaks for itself. Probably wasted talent for reasons I'm sure he'll know himself even if he won't admit it.

Fairly low risk gamble from our point of view.

Back
Top Bottom