Unlucky shirts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Watching us lose, again, in the green third shirt got me thinking: is it our worst ever in terms of results? This season is going to be one of the worst United seasons on record and by my count the shirts' records are all pretty bad but at least we've won in two of them. Our away record in 2007 wasn't pretty (W3 D2 L14) and as the three wins (Newcastle, Watford & Wigan) and one draw (City) came in the home shirt we only picked up one point in the Warnock choice black and white kit away at Charlton. The 2010/11 away shirt was almost as bad with one point (at Forest) gained in its six outings - back in those days we wore the away shirt at teams in red and sometimes claret.

WDLWin %PPG
2020/21 Home (white/red)
3​
1​
12​
18.8%​
0.625​
2020/21 Away (pink)
1​
1​
7​
11.1%​
0.444​
2010/11 Away (black/red)
0​
1​
5​
0.0%​
0.167​
2006/07 Away (black/white)
0​
1​
6​
0.0%​
0.143​
2020/21 Third (green)
0​
0​
5​
0.0%​
0.000​

Have we had any other shirts with a record as bad as these?

EDIT: "unlucky" might not be accurate as the common theme is that the team playing in them was shit, either for attitude or application reasons.

Last edited:

We scored only one goal in the black and white kit - Stead at Charlton.

All 3 kits this season are horrible and that is another reason that I cannot wait for this season to end.

The home shirt and the pink shirt are fucking awful and I can't wait to see the back of them.

The green kit is hands down the nicest non-home kit we've ever had, in my humble opinion. It's sad that it'll be associated with this season, but it won't stop me wearing it.

did we ever win in the purple teletext holidays kit in 17/18? that just reminds me of that grim day at Oakwell watching McBurnie tear us to shreds. wonder where he's at now, looked some player

did we ever win in the purple teletext holidays kit in 17/18? that just reminds me of that grim day at Oakwell watching McBurnie tear us to shreds. wonder where he's at now, looked some player
Sunderland away (2-1, their goal from none other than Jack Rodwell). That might be it; don't think we wore it very often (5 in total: Sunderland plus Middlesbrough (L), Preston (L), Brentford (D), Barnsley (L)). We wore the white third shirt almost as often (Forest (L), Villa (D), Hull (L), Bristol C (W))

Last edited:
We scored only one goal in the black and white kit - Stead at Charlton.

All 3 kits this season are horrible and that is another reason that I cannot wait for this season to end.
the home one is up their with some
of the L1 dross as the worst... that shoulder line is bloody awful and i have no idea how that passed quality control

The fact that if you stuck a mannequin on the pitch with the green kit on it would do more good than John Lundstram doesn't help.

Sunderland away (2-1, their goal from none other than Jack Rodwell). That might be it; don't think we wore it very often (5 in total: Sunderland plus Middlesbrough (L), Preston (L), Brentford (D), Barnsley (L)). We wore the white third shirt almost as often (Forest (L), Villa (D), Hull (L), Bristol C (W))
of course, Donaldson at the double for us. didn't we wear the white one away at Burton when Coutts borke his leg?

The current number 7 shirt is cursed.

Because of the lazy bastard wearing it.
This got me thinking, who was the last 'great' player we had, who wore the number 7 shirt - my mind turned to Michael Brown. Here are the players to wear it prior to Lazy Lord Lundstram and after Michael Brown:

Marc McNulty
Ryan Flynn
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
Will Hoskins
Darius Henderson
Luton Shelton
Paul Ifill
Andy Liddell
Paul Shaw

Hardly a prestigious list. Ifill was good until Warnock fell out with him. A few of the others, 'not bad'.

I think it's arguably been cursed since Browny left.

The home shirt and the pink shirt are fucking awful and I can't wait to see the back of them.

The green kit is hands down the nicest non-home kit we've ever had, in my humble opinion. It's sad that it'll be associated with this season, but it won't stop me wearing it.
The nicest non-home shirt we've ever had?

Get out! Go on. Get out!

Attachments

• 1989-91-sheffield-united-away-913-1.jpg
    1989-91-sheffield-united-away-913-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 7
The nicest non-home shirt we've ever had?

Get out! Go on. Get out!

A cult classic because of who played in it and the memories associated. A good piece of design it is not.

Let's face it, it looks like a jar of piccalilli. And most people fucking hate piccalilli.

Nothing good comes of shirts that are more white than red. I said that at the time of the 125th anniversary shirt. Abomination. Feel the same about this year's shirt. Although we didn't get relegated in the 125th shirt.

Sunderland away

Nothing good comes of shirts that are more white than red. I said that at the time of the 125th anniversary shirt. Abomination. Feel the same about this year's shirt. Although we didn't get relegated in the 125th shirt.

We got promoted in one that was about 70% white a couple of years ago.

As for this season's, none of them are horrendous, but they're not a patch on last season's. If someone else had them I'd say "decent kits them" but because it's us it's just a bit disappointing.

I've got the green one, and I don't know why because I don't really like it and it's fucking cursed haha

I bought the short sleeve lime GK kit too, that's probably the best of the bunch this season.

Home kit has fucking downward facing arrows in the red stripes so I'd say that's more unlucky than the white back.

Liked the look of the green one and pre-ordered it. By the time i got it the season was buggered and I can't even be arsed to take it out of the bag.

Watching us lose, again, in the green third shirt got me thinking: is it our worst ever in terms of results? This season is going to be one of the worst United seasons on record and by my count the shirts' records are all pretty bad but at least we've won in two of them. Our away record in 2007 wasn't pretty (W3 D2 L14) and as the three wins (Newcastle, Watford & Wigan) and one draw (City) came in the home shirt we only picked up one point in the Warnock choice black and white kit away at Charlton. The 2010/11 away shirt was almost as bad with one point (at Forest) gained in its six outings - back in those days we wore the away shirt at teams in red and sometimes claret.

WDLWin %PPG
2020/21 Home (white/red)
3​
1​
12​
18.8%​
0.625​
2020/21 Away (pink)
1​
1​
7​
11.1%​
0.444​
2010/11 Away (black/red)
0​
1​
5​
0.0%​
0.167​
2006/07 Away (black/white)
0​
1​
6​
0.0%​
0.143​
2020/21 Third (green)
0​
0​
5​
0.0%​
0.000​

Have we had any other shirts with a record as bad as these?

EDIT: "unlucky" might not be accurate as the common theme is that the team playing in them was shit, either for attitude or application reasons.

Updated for the end of the season and after its final appearance in the 4-0 defeat at Spurs the green shirt is officially done with an unwanted 100% record. However, this season's red and white shirt's record improves dramatically with the late season victories over Brighton, Everton and Burnley.

PldWDLWin %PPG
2020/21 Home (white/red)21
6​
1​
14​
28.6%​
0.905​
2020/21 Away (pink)11
1​
1​
9​
9.1%​
0.364​
2010/11 Away (black/red)6
0​
1​
5​
0.0%​
0.167​
2006/07 Away (black/white)7
0​
1​
6​
0.0%​
0.143​
2020/21 Third (green)6
0​
0​
6​
0.0%​
0.000​

Back
Top Bottom