United World 2022/23

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good summary CB as always. Our competitors have made some impressive last minute transfers. Rwdm signing Brazilian forward Vinicius who has a lot of experience at the highest level in Brazil and the top assist provider of last season in 1b with Challouk make it clear they are promotion favourite. But also Deinze signing De Ridder who is an established 1a player is a strong last minute signing. So that leaves us more as an outsider and for most fans it’s painful to see that much smaller clubs than us are signing the players we should have been signing.

Also despite the safety works carried out the main stand has still not been approved by the authorities for the first game with a crowd and that’s inexcusable since the club sold season tickets for that stand (obviously the most expensive ones) and promised it would be ok by the start of the season. Another big let down and fans who have season tickets there still don’t know where they will be moved too. The running of the club remains very amateurish.

Seems using the French club to look at African talent. Who knows what potential they can find.

Regular & friendly reminder to everyone that no foreign player playing for any of the other four teams in United World will be eligible for a UK Work Permit and therefore will not be able to play for SUFC. (Unless & until Beerschot are promoted).

Regular & friendly reminder to everyone that no foreign player playing for any of the other four teams in United World will be eligible for a UK Work Permit and therefore will not be able to play for SUFC. (Unless & until Beerschot are promoted).
Phil, of Chateauroux move up to Ligue Deux how does that impact?

Or would we need effectively them to graduate from Chateauroux in Ligue Deux to Beerschot in the Jupiler Pro League to be even under consideration for United?

Phil, of Chateauroux move up to Ligue Deux how does that impact?

Or would we need effectively them to graduate from Chateauroux in Ligue Deux to Beerschot in the Jupiler Pro League to be even under consideration for United?
Here are the points gained just for being at a Club in each league. Fifteen needed for a Work Permit. The rest would need to be made up using playing minutes.

Ligue 1 - Band 1 - 12 points as a start - would need to play 30% of minutes to make 15
Belgian First Division - Band 2 - 10 points as a start - would need to play 40% of minutes to make 15
Ligue 2 - Band 4 - 6 points as a start - even playing 90% of minutes would only add 4 - no realistic chance of a Work Permit

Band 6 - ie Beerschot, Chateauroux, Al Hilal United, Kerala United - 2 points as a start - even playing 90% of minutes would only add 2 - no realistic chance of a Work Permit.

So, Chateauroux, no realistic chance of a Work Permit in Ligue 2, they'd need to be promoted up the pyramid to Ligue 1.

A player "graduating" (ie people trafficking) from Chateauroux to Beerschot in Belgian B - no realistic chance of a Work Permit.

The only realistic route is through Beerschot as a Top Belgian League club.

Here are the points gained just for being at a Club in each league. Fifteen needed for a Work Permit. The rest would need to be made up using playing minutes.

Ligue 1 - Band 1 - 12 points as a start - would need to play 30% of minutes to make 15
Belgian First Division - Band 2 - 10 points as a start - would need to play 40% of minutes to make 15
Ligue 2 - Band 4 - 6 points as a start - even playing 90% of minutes would only add 4 - no realistic chance of a Work Permit

Band 6 - ie Beerschot, Chateauroux, Al Hilal United, Kerala United - 2 points as a start - even playing 90% of minutes would only add 2 - no realistic chance of a Work Permit.

So, Chateauroux, no realistic chance of a Work Permit in Ligue 2, they'd need to be promoted up the pyramid to Ligue 1.

A player "graduating" (ie people trafficking) from Chateauroux to Beerschot in Belgian B - no realistic chance of a Work Permit.

The only realistic route is through Beerschot as a Top Belgian League club
Out of interest, how many extra points is it for being an international?

Out of interest, how many extra points is it for being an international?
Remembering that this theoretical international is somehow playing down the Belgian, French, Indian or UAE football pyramid - you'd think if they were any good, they'd be playing at a higher level...

The UK Government's basics on Work Permits is reasonably straightforward they'll allow players, who play often at a reasonable level a Work Permit. Hence a 40%er from the Belgian First Division.

The points for being an international comes from two dimensions - The FIFA ranking of the country & the minutes played. An International outside the FIFA Top 50 would need to play 90% of the games to get two points.

The only realistic route is through Beerschot as a Top Belgian League club.
Thanks Phil. That's very informative. Not seen it laid out so clearly before.

And thanks to MobileBlade for asking the follow up question I had in mind!

Club just obtained last minute clearance to open the main stand for Friday’s home game. Haleluja that’s a welcome positive. Hopefully Sebaoui can get his head over his missed transfer and show some quality.

Quick update.

Both teams lost 2-0 at home to promotion rivals. Both had men sent off! Neither coach did themselves any favours with team selection.

Beershot lost Rigo after 23 mins making it an uphill task for the whole game. Didn't like the fact they'd signed two potential scorers and had them both on the bench. Perhaps PurpleRain has a take on this having quite possibly attended.

Chateauroux were already 1 goal down at half time when a professional foul late on put them down to ten men. Another ball over the top and same outcome plus a pen saw them down by two. That's now 3 games at home and two draws and one defeat, both draws needing to come from behind. Started at home and played an ageing pro at centre forward and an attacking fullback in a front three whilst having 3 strikers on the bench at home. I'd be surprised if this coach makes it to the end of the season.
Edit: missed one. They were down to 8 by the end!

In the meantime here's some actual goals with the highlights from last weekend's win against Club Brugge's stiffs:

Last edited:
Hi CB the match was ruined because of a very light red card early in the game. Similar fouls by Lommel players were just waived on. Can’t win if the ref is one sided.

The new Icelandic striker only trained 1 day with us so logic that he didn’t start. He needs to get familiar with the team tactics. The other striker that signed is very poor. I don’t expect he will be involved much. The guys up front Baeten and Verlinden started lively and were creating chances, but from the red card it was all down hill. Lommel are in the Man City group and they have some really expensive players. Their strikers cost 2 million, ours not even 10% of that figure.

So overall unless there were thrashings dealt out by Al-Hilal and Kerala United, with United’s game off it was a disappointing week for the United World teams.

Starting with Châteauroux who kicked off slightly earlier on Friday evening against Bourg-en-Bresse Péronnas 01 or FBBP.

They had added one further loanee to their ranks, 19 year old midfielder Malcolm Viltard from Sochaux though and he did not make the matchday XI.

Despite the arrival of two forwards in Bianchini and Ndour, Chabert, the coach stuck with ten of the same XI that toiled to a victory over LePuy Foot the prior week.

Keeper Delecroix remained after some good saves the prior week, right back Fouda came in for Germouche who dropped to the bench, left back Mbengue and centre halves Ouaneh and Sangante remained from the past game as did the midfield trio of Mexique, Basque and last week's hero Grange. Up front Youssouf and Ntolla were flanking the veteran Roux.

A relatively even first half saw the opposition with early opportunities, with Delecroix saving well from an Ezekial set piece and PBBP also hit the bar with a superb effort. A header from Ouaneh from a corner for Chateauroux fails to trouble the score, flashing past the post and a blocked shot from Grange after a mazy run by Basque before the deadlock was broken. An impressive counterattack on the left, a smart pull back and Ponti slots home first time with ease.

A relatively uneventful second half saw a couple of attacking changes, Bianchini and Germouche replacing Ntolla and Mbengue with Youssouf dropping to left back (more later!). Further change on 70 minutes where debutant Ndour on For Roux as Chateauroux pressed. On 78 minutes the game took a darker turn, Grange lost the ball in midfield and lunged to recover in what was a scissor type tackle. He knew quickly he was in trouble and headed off waving his hand apologetically as the ref reached for his pocket. Ten minutes later 10 became 9. A rather speculative ball over the top caught out Sangante, his last ditch tackle taking no ball and felling Rivas making it very easy for the ref.

The debacle was finally completed when Youssouf switched off to a long crossfield ball from the FBBP left and ended up behind his man, clipping his heals and another red card followed along with a penalty. This was duly dispatched by Ezikian to compound a miserable evening for the Castelroussins, 2-0 the final score.

A pretty poor home display once more and despite two away wins, the last one very scrappy, the home record reads 2 draws and one defeat. The Coach is already under pressure. The fans website were not in favour of the current Coach continuing when polled pre-season so after no wins at home and a starting line up with a wingback being played in a front three while 3 newly signed forwards sit on the bench isn't going to help his cause. There was a suggestion the deputy coach of the Marseilles B team may be a candidate though one fan described him as having the personality of an Oyster. So they seem resigned to keeping him for now, but they need to book up. Special mention for Fouda at right back who most thought had an absolute stinker.

So who next? The worst team to play next! They face US Orleans, which is their local derby and they will do so without their top scorer in Grange, two key defenders with another Ouaneh walking a tightrope on bookings.

8 points from 5 games whilst not the worst sees them in 7th, 2 points off 2nd with Avranches the early pacesetters with 12 points. Orleans sit in 9th, one point behind after a 1-1 draw with 13th placed Cholet, also losing a centre half Elimbi Gilbert, to a second yellow in injury time.

Orleans, known as the wasps (Les guepes) play at the 7,500 capacity Stade de la source in the heart of the city. A former capital of France, there are plenty of Joan d'Arc references after there Siege of Orleans with her statue prominent in the city centre, which abridges the Loire and her story is depicted in the stained glass of the Cathedral Saint-Croix d'Orleans. For Chateauroux, another Friday night awaits.

Next stop and and a 7,000 strong home crowd for Beerschot....

With the return from suspension of Van den Bergh, Coach Wieland opted for four at the back with Meisl, Matthys and Seydoux the sitting in front of Lathouwers with Vanhamel now persona non grata.

In front, Rigo, Sanusi and Sebaoui supported Vaca, Baeten and Verlinden.

Places on the bench for the new striking recruits who'd recently arrived.

An early initiative from Beerschot led to a few corners, one well palmed away from Meisl in an opening period which saw Beerschot on the front foot.

Unfortunately this was to be interrupted by the expulsion of Rigo. He tackled the player slightly from behind, no danger really you could argue, though the usual theatrics you see from the 'victim' probably make it look far worse than it was for the referee.

Despite the man deficit, a wonderful ball.over the top from what looked like Van den Bergh picked out Verlinden who couldn't finish and in the ensuing scramble Baeten had his shot fortunately blocked by the prostrate keeper only to then fire slightly over in what was to prove a key moment.

A man light and pressure finally told. A cross from the left gave the keeper little chance as Caue headed home and Beerschot and the 7,000 fans in the Kiel could consider themselves to be unfortunate.

Half time saw the ineffectual Vaca withdrawn and a move to a more traditional back three with Nzota entering the field of play. Beerschot continued to stay in the game and the 71st minute saw Koshi replace Sebaoui to give a more robust midfield whilst new signings Petkevicius and Thorisson replaced the two tiring forwards.

Beerschot remained in with a shout despite the numerical disadvantage until Meisl's lack of pace or tiredness allowed Martinez to bear down on Lathouwers goal making no mistake with 9 to play in regulation time.

A difficult game to judge. The camp still seem behind the ideas of the new coach though Beerschot drop to 7th but still only two behind Lommel.

“Despite the fact that we were with 10 for a long time, we put in a nice performance,” commented the Captian Ryan Sanusi, indicating that despite the adversity of playing 10 v 11 for most of the match, having made the early running this wasn't a performance of surrender, more of unfortunate circumstances given a relatively positive start to the game.

Key incidents below.

They do need a win and will hope to get that against another team on 7 points RE Virton, an area bordering Luxembourg.

The league is anyone's. Despite their numberical inferiority possession was only 48-52 against, shots 12-17, on target 4-6. You get the impression without the red card this could have gone the other way with Beerschot starting the brighter. The home defeat to Lierse was 23-13 in Beerschot's favor for shots and 63-37 for possession. They are doing something right. Recruitment completed the team just needs a little more cohesion. Neither Sebaoui nor Vaca have quite imposed themselves yet and with two new forwards coming in, you perhaps hope that especially Thorisson will click coming in from the left to build some momentum.

They also need to stop shooting themselves in the foot with cards. That's two reds so far. Van den Bergh probably cost them with his absence from the Lierse game and Rigo this time lost them the initiative. Lierse sit top with 12 points. With more composite it could easily have been Beerschot up there on 13.

Hopefully next week signals a turn for the better. It will need to be without Rigo but there are others who can come in. Intrigued to see if Thórisson can continue the scoring record he had back home. Hope so!

Great report CB. Do you watch the entire games or just the highlights?

I watched Deinze vs RWDM yesterday to see what our competitors are like and must say RWDM (same owners as Lyon and Botafogo) look very strong. They have 5 or 6 Brazilians signed from Botafogo and a couple of them look real quality. They also have a young striker from Crystal Palace (Plange) who had a great game. For me they are strong favourites to win the league. Also have the most expensive squad according to the info on transfer market.

I watched Deinze vs RWDM yesterday to see what our competitors are like and must say RWDM (same owners as Lyon and Botafogo) look very strong. They have 5 or 6 Brazilians signed from Botafogo and a couple of them look real quality. They also have a young striker from Crystal Palace (Plange) who had a great game. For me they are strong favourites to win the league. Also have the most expensive squad according to the info on transfer market.
Hi PurpleRain it depends. I found the matches much easier to locate last season but this time around less so, so I’m having to make do with a combination of highlights and most of the local papers and website to fill in the gaps this year though if I can locate the full game I’ll have a watch. I find Koen Frans quite decent for Beerschot news. I think he works for GvA.

The Châteauroux games are sometimes on at the same time and the National in France is very open to freely broadcasting the games. The twitter even posts the goals as they go in, which is quite unique.

So do my best with what there is available! It’s been interesting to get to know different clubs, their fan bases and players. With google translate I think I’d get a better understanding of the fans’ thoughts but it seems when I went to register on the forum I didn’t get any email back. Will keep looking.

Hopefully the team can settle down and get some consistency. It will be a close league. I tend to agree your sentiment though, an extra 500k to 1m and it would be a lot easier to guarantee a top two spot. At the moments it’s all a bit of a lottery though at least it is interesting. Anyone can beat anyone. That is what makes the Championship a good league so same goes for 1B at the moment I’d say. I can imagine less so in National as Nancy took Châteauroux’s best player so I’d expect them to take a top two spot and the rest will go for what is left.

Good that fans are back watching now. Football without fans is nothing really.

Plange played for Derby last season. I'm surprised he's gone there. Looked like a very good prospect.

You seem to get a lot of red cards. Is there a discipline problem or much harsher refereeing?

Plange played for Derby last season. I'm surprised he's gone there. Looked like a very good prospect.

You seem to get a lot of red cards. Is there a discipline problem or much harsher refereeing?
From a fan’s perspective we are not in the FA’s favourite books, always had a bit of a nasty reputation and refs like to be just a little bit more harsh on us. That’s what the sentiment is for like 30 years. We had a manager in the seventies who in an interview before an away game at Anderlecht said he would send the reserves since the ref would make sure we didn’t stand a chance anyway. In the nineties we played away at Anderlecht and the ref was again so blatantly favouring the home team that we sang some nasty chants about his mum. The next day national television interviewed the ref about his poor mum and how all Beerschot fans should be imprisoned. Very long history and those are just 2 anecdotes. We can write a book on the subject. Or better a series of books longer than Harry Potter 😁

Chateauroux were in action last night in a game of two halves derby vs US Orléans.

After the night to forget the previous week, they were keen to get things going once more in what is a very tight division. That said there was a hangover from the 8-man finish against Bourg-en-Bresse. Playmaker Grange has received the Full Monty with a three match ban for his reckless straight red. Captain Sangante received two games as did left back/right winger Youssouf.

Rather than play it safe the coach made some bold moves. Defensively it was very logical. Delecroix remained in goal, Mbengue, who started left back originally last week remained there as did Fouda at right back. In defence came Fofana who had played there earlier in the season, to partner Ouaneh.

With Grange suspended and Basque carrying a knock there must have been a temptation to bring back Daham who had recently lost his spot to Grange. Instead they handed a first start to young loanee Viltard. He came in last minute from Sochaux having started their first two games in Ligue 2. A nice move otherwise you're asking why bother to even loan him? The other spot went to a player returning from injury - Gilles Sunu. Now this guy is someone you may recognise, as he started his career at Chateauroux but then went through the youth team at Arsenal. A few loan moves whilst at Arsenal and then switches to Lorient, Evian, Angers and BB Erzurumspor saw him return full circle to Chateauroux where he has been since the 19/20 season.

Up front in the 4-3-3, Ntolla, a useful out and out left winger at this level retained his spot. Then there were full debuts for 2 of the late window signings. Bianchini, 21 year old loanee from Amiens was on the right, having had a decent loan spell last season at another Championat National club, US Avranches, scoring 3 times and assisting 6. Up front Chabert opted to rest the veteran Nolan Roux and give a start to Alioune Ndour, signed from Belenenses during the dying embers of the window.

Once again Chateauroux made a terrible start. On 8 minutes Mexique was well pressed in midfield and lost possession. Goujon then glides past Ouaneh and catches the ball well as it flies past Delecroix in the Chateauroux goal. You can see the goal below. Not a bad hit:

So, left to regroup, Chateauroux make hard work of it. It's the 40th minute until Ndour has a header from Ntolla's cross which is well saved by the keeper.

After a lacklustre first half the coach opts to make 2 changes. After a quiet debut, Ndour is replaced by Roux and Mexique pays for his error and is replaced by Daham.

On 49 minutes, a nice 14 pass move (I didn't count the official site did!) From defence to midfield sees Ntolla and Roux combine to set up Sunu who curls a beauty from the edge of the box into the goalkeepers far right corner:

The game then had some back and forth with Chateauroux having a period of dominance but Roux and Daham inches away from converting.

At the other end Delecroix makes a couple of good stops, one diving low to his right and another with his feet on the left to retain parity.

Both teams have goals chalked off rightly for offside.

Another debut as the giant sized defender Ahoussou replaces Fofana who took a knock and did not continue. Looking at the Chateauroux roster it's clear this season is one to hedge their bets. Next year they will revert to amateur status if not promoted. This is probably the reason signings have mainly been loan or loan to buy (Ahoussou, Bianchini, Ndour, Germouche) with as few as 8 remaining under contract at the season's end. I'll have a look later in the season at the repercussions of such a change in status.

The game ended 1-1 and continues Chateauroux's undefeated away form, now 3 wins and a draw in contrast to their disappointing home form with no wins so far.

They find themselves in 8th in a very congested division. Had they eked out one more goal yesterday they would have been up to 2nd with Orleans occupying that spot with 10 points, joint with Versailles and ominously Nancy. In my view Nancy will win it. They signed Robinet on loan so have a further striker and by far the most resources so it is just a matter of time. It is down to Chateauroux to be the best of the rest.

No better time than next week. I say that because the team in first position with 12 points is currently USL Dunkerque and they are next up at the Stade Gaston Petit. If you're wondering what the US or USL stands for in these team names, it's Union Sportive which is Sporting Union, Sporting Club, so similar to FC for us. The Littoral in Dunkirk's name refers to the fact it is coastal.

The game is at home so with fair winds they could be troubling the top two.

I looked on their forum and it is sparsely populated but they are also not sure if their place in United World. They lost two key strikers and to be fair they both wanted to leave and fitted into the "when a big club comes knocking" though it was a slap in the face for Robinet to then be loaned to Nancy. I suppose United World is currently low profile in that shared resources around scouting for instance are not too visible. Perhaps due initially to covid there has been little visible visits between the clubs. Outside of this it is clear then until Beershot moves up a level there will be little use from a player side for the Blades. Not sure how it works between Belgium and France though as pointed out Robinet would have been useful for Chateauroux though whether he would see the new 1B with it's B teams as better than N1 is an open question. What seems missed is the opportunity to uplift Chateauroux and Beerschot with loans. We tried with Seriki and Broadbent but they seemed to be at the wrong stage of development. If the group was cohesive however youd like to think a conversation would have taken place with placing say Gomis at Chateauroux for some men's football, he's a French National so no visa issues and also possible even Ayari who playing for a French speaking North African Nation, Tunisia, you might expect an easy avenue. I think these are the profile that would do well there. The challenge for Beerschot is the ones that would lift them up are probably still handy squad players now. Or you're looking at Seriki and Broadbent as they are now, not then and of course they won't fancy that.

Still, the games fall handy this weekend. Chateauroux on Friday, Blades Saturday and Beerschot on Sunday. I'll be back to summarise that probably in a few days when some of the footage is out.

So the final day of the United World trilogy before the international break took Beerschot to Virton and a well deserved 2-1 victory.

It seems just like the Blades, Beerschot does not like to do things easily and had to come from behind to achieve the goal.

In a division where everyone is beating everyone, it was all the more pleasing as the victory took them up to second spot on 10 points from 6 games, 2 behind Lierse.

The team line up was strong looking.

Lathouwers, now the custodian in goal retained his spot. A back three still missing the errant Radic had Meisl on the right next to Van den Bergh and Matthys. Wing back saw Weymans preferred to Nzita and Seydoux on the right. In midfield, with Rigo suspended Koshi returned to partner Sanusi. Further forward Vaca and Sebaoui supported the new Icelandic forward Thórisson.

To me this ought to almost be the strongest line up, give or take. You could possible drop Vaca or Sebaoui, whichever is off form and move Thórisson to the left where he’s played and still scored a fair bit to keep Baeten up front. I’d probably play Rigo next to Sanusi because he can get you a goal now and again. You’d have Radic in easily if he wasn’t in conflict with the club and I’ve not seen enough of either left back to say who is most suited. But this seemed a strong, logical enough line up, if not a little harsh on Baeten.

That’s why it was such a shock to see them go behind and be trailing at half time. They’d literally had twice as much play in terms of chances and were over 60% possession.

The coach then made a bold move at half time and took off Koshi. He brought on Baeten which meant he’d effectively got two forwards on and two attacking midfielders.

This paid dividends as Baeten got them level on 54’ to redress the 17th minute concession.

They continued to push and the pressure finally told and Van den Bergh got what proved to be the winner.

At this point Vaca had gone off and so had Sebaoui to be replaced by Verlinden and Petkevičius meaning they’d got three strikers and a winger on hoping to make the pressure tell. Nzita also also replaced Weymans just after the goal in a like for like change so I’m guessing that one of the full backs had to go into midfield to match up 4-2-3-1 with so many forward players but the stats were racking up in Beerschot’s favour. Once the goal went in, Frans, the experienced campaigner came on at centre back and Thórisson went off so they would have been able to return to a more conventional back 5 with Sanusi flanked by Nzita and Verlinden behind Baeten and Petkevičius.

It did seem the manager read the game relatively well and a victory was well deserved and kudos to him for the positive changes. That’s how it has to be if the goal of promotion is going to be attained.

In terms of stats 16 shots to 7, 6 on target to 3, 56% to 44% possession, 514 passes to 406 and 7 corners to 1 told the story of a deserved victory.

Now PurpleRain gets to relax a bit with Beerschot in 2nd behind a team they lost to already but largely outplayed because it’s then Cup next week. Lommel playing SL16 may well shove them down, the important point is they are in the mix and have put in a positive display for a deserved win and another goal for a loan striker making a good contribution this season with 4 in 6.

The next league game isn’t until the 2 October against Deinze who sit in 11th out of 12 and that game is at home.

Next up is Knokke who play in the third tier of Belgium football and currently sit 17th in the 20 team table occupying the relegation play off spot at present having won their opening game 4-0 against Dessel Sport and subsequently lost the remaining three against La Louvière, RFC Luttich and Patel Eisden (the team of ex-Beerschot atom Pietermaat) 0-3, 0-3, 0-2. So hopefully a good team to be playing.

I’ll post highlights/goal when they become available.

Until next week!

Last edited:
So the final day of the United World trilogy before the international break took Beerschot to Virton and a well deserved 2-1 victory.

It seems just like the Blades, Beerschot does not like to do things easily and had to come from behind to achieve the goal.

In a division where everyone is beating everyone, it was all the more pleasing as the victory took them up to second spot on 10 points from 6 games, 2 behind Lierse.

Lathouwers, now the custodian in goal retained his spot. A back three still missing the errant Radic had Meisl on the right next to Van den Bergh and Matthys. Wing back saw Weymans preferred to Nzita and Seydoux on the right. In midfield, with Rigo suspended Koshi returned to partner Sanusi. Further forward Vaca and Sebaoui supported the new Icelandic forward Thórisson.

To me this ought to almost be the strongest line up, give or take. You could possible drop Vaca or Sebaoui, whichever is off form and move Thórisson to the left where he’s played and still scored a fair bit to keep Baeten up front. I’d probably play Rigo next to Sanusi because he can get you a goal now and again. You’d have Radic in easily if he wasn’t in conflict with the club and I’ve not seen enough of either left back to say who is most suited.

That’s why it was such a shock to see them go behind and be trailing at half time. They’d literally had twice as much play in terms of chances and were over 60% possession.

The coach then made a bold move at half time and took off Koshi. He brought on Baeten which meant he’d effectively got two forwards on and two attacking midfielders.

This paid dividends as Baeten got them level on 54’ to redress the 17th minute concession.

They continued to push and the pressure finally told and Van den Bergh got what proved to be the winner.

At this point Vaca had gone off and so had Sebaoui to be replaced by Verlinden and Petkevičius meaning they’d got three strikers and a winger on hoping to make the pressure tell. Nzita had also replaced Weymans at this point so I’m guessing that one of the full backs went into midfield to match up 4-2-3-1 with so many forward players but the stats were racking up in Beerschot’s favour. Once the goal went in, Frans, the experienced campaigner came on at centre back and Thórisson went off so they would have been able to return to a more conventional back 5 with Sanusi flanked by Nzita and Verlinden behind Baeten and Petkevičius.

However it turned out it did seem the manager read the game relatively well and a victory was well deserved.

In terms of stats 16 shots to 7, 6 on target to 3, 56% to 44% possession, 514 passes to 406 and 7 corners to 1 told the story of a deserved victory.

Now PurpleRain gets to relax a bit with Beerschot in 2nd behind a team they lost to already but largely outplayed because it’s then Cup next week. Lommel playing SL16 may well shove them down, the important point is they are in the mix and have put in a positive display for a deserved win and another goal for a loan striker making a good contribution this season with 4 in 6.

The next league game isn’t until the 2 October against Denise who sit in 11th out of 12 and that game is at home.

Next up is Knokke who play in the third tier of Belgium football and currently sit 17th in the 20 team table occupying the relegation play off spot at present having won their opening game 4-0 against Dessel Sport and subsequently lost the remaining three against La Louvière, RFC Luttich and Patel Eisden (the team of ex-Beerschot atom Pietermaat) 0-3, 0-3, 0-2. So hopefully a good team to be playing.

Until next week!

Thanks for an illuminating sit rep. Much appreciated.

To me this ought to almost be the strongest line up, give or take. You could possible drop Vaca or Sebaoui, whichever is off form and move Thórisson to the left where he’s played and still scored a fair bit to keep Baeten up front. I’d probably play Rigo next to Sanusi because he can get you a goal now and again. You’d have Radic in easily if he wasn’t in conflict with the club and I’ve not seen enough of either left back to say who is most suited. But this seemed a strong, logical enough line up, if not a little harsh on Baeten.

At this point Vaca had gone off and so had Sebaoui to be replaced by Verlinden and Petkevičius meaning they’d got three strikers and a winger on hoping to make the pressure tell. Nzita also also replaced Weymans just after the goal in a like for like change so I’m guessing that one of the full backs had to go into midfield to match up 4-2-3-1 with so many forward players but the stats were racking up in Beerschot’s favour. Once the goal went in, Frans, the experienced campaigner came on at centre back and Thórisson went off so they would have been able to return to a more conventional back 5 with Sanusi flanked by Nzita and Verlinden behind Baeten and Petkevičius.

It did seem the manager read the game relatively well and a victory was well deserved and kudos to him for the positive changes. That’s how it has to be if the goal of promotion is going to be attained.

The next league game isn’t until the 2 October against Deinze who sit in 11th out of 12 and that game is at home.

I’ll post highlights/goal when they become available.

Until next week!
First half we played 3 at the back and although dominating every ball forward by Virton the alarm bells were ringing. At half time the coach changed to a back 4 and we were much better then. Vandenbergh moved to midfield and with Baeten and Thorisson we were troubling the opposite defense. Especially Baeten is a hand full any defender. He is a must start for me. 4 goals in 6 is also really good. Sebaoui had another poor game. Verlinden deserves to start ahead of him. Good 3 points from a difficult away game.

First half we played 3 at the back and although dominating every ball forward by Virton the alarm bells were ringing. At half time the coach changed to a back 4 and we were much better then. Vandenbergh moved to midfield and with Baeten and Thorisson we were troubling the opposite defense. Especially Baeten is a hand full any defender. He is a must start for me. 4 goals in 6 is also really good. Sebaoui had another poor game. Verlinden deserves to start ahead of him. Good 3 points from a difficult away game.
Thanks for clarifying, some of the changes were hard to follow with a lack of stream and since relegation even sporza.be seems to have given up on giving a commentary in 1B.

Sebaoui hasn’t got into his stride at all. He seemed to be a potential big game player when he broke through last season so it’s a shame he’s lost momentum. I got it wrong so far; I really thought he’d be Beerschot’s N’Diaye this season especially at a lower level. Maybe the transfer speculation didn’t help. Perhaps he got ahead of himself?

Hopefully with Baeten proving an asset and Thórisson there now, there can be two genuine goal threats. It then leaves perhaps one space for Vaca, Verlinden or Sebaoui to compete for, which may be a good thing for all of them.

What did you make of Thórisson?

Thanks for clarifying, some of the changes were hard to follow with a lack of stream and since relegation even sporza.be seems to have given up on giving a commentary in 1B.

Sebaoui hasn’t got into his stride at all. He seemed to be a potential big game player when he broke through last season so it’s a shame he’s lost momentum. I got it wrong so far; I really thought he’d be Beerschot’s N’Diaye this season especially at a lower level. Maybe the transfer speculation didn’t help. Perhaps he got ahead of himself?

Hopefully with Baeten proving an asset and Thórisson there now, there can be two genuine goal threats. It then leaves perhaps one space for Vaca, Verlinden or Sebaoui to compete for, which may be a good thing for all of them.

What did you make of Thórisson?
Thorisson is looking promising. He was unlucky not to score in the second half with a good timely run in the box and his shot took a deflection and needed a good save.

Sebaoui has the skill set but mentality has to be there as well. Hopefully he can get his head sorted. He should be dominating this division but not happening at all at the moment because he does not play with the right attitude.

A good morale boosting win for Beerschot today in the early round of the Belgium Cup.

With Vaca and Sebaoui away on International duty, there were a couple of changes and they may well even struggle to get back in.

The defence started with a first start for Frans this season alongside Van den Bergh and Matthys in front of Lathouwers. Midfield was physically strong with Sanusi captaining alongside Alhassan, preferred to Koshi and with Rigo suspended.

Out wide were Seydoux and Nzita.

It looked like a front three of Verlinden, Baeten and Thórisson.

Baeten continued his excellent start to the season with a 5th goal in 7 games. A low cross from Seydoux with a second assist on the season.

It does feel a little like this team is coming together. Ideally they sort out the futures of Vanhamel and Radic because these are unnecessary distractions to a promising young team.

Anyway, half time was 1-0 and with no changes against the team from West Flanders.

Second half saw Beerschot extend their lead. Sanusi with his first goal of the season on 49 minutes.

Four minutes later and the lead was further extended when Thórisson opened his account.

This gave a chance to use the squad and rest players.

Out went Van den Bergh and Verlinden and in came Weymans and Koshi.

After Seydoux failed to convert a low cross from Thórisson, this signaled more changes as Sanusi called it an afternoon as did Seydoux with first starts for Okyere joining Koshi and Alhassan in midfield and Seydoux making way to give game time to the first summer signing Querynen, on the right.

The scoring continued as Nzita got in on the act to make it 4.

With ten minutes remaining Lathouwers made a smart low save making it a positive afternoon all round but for a second yellow in injury time from Nzita getting him dismissed and most likely a one game ban. Seems an unnecessary situation to get yourself into when leading 4-0.

Next game on October 1st sees Beerschot against 11th place Deinze, who have 1 win and 2 draws from their opening 6 matches, so they will be hoping to build on today's victory with a home win which could put them top.

Tomorrow Chateauroux have a difficult game against Dunkerque (Dunkirk) on Monday as they currently sit 3 off promotion spots but down in 11th with all the other matches playing this weekend. They have two players on international duty but as luck would have it, Sangante and Youssouf were both suspended anyway.

I'll update the thread when goals or anything to report comes in!

In the meantime here are the Beerschot goals and extended highlights from last week's round:

Thanks CB, good report. Just one tactical change the coach has made, Alhassan is played as a CB and Vandenbergh is since the second half in Virton playing as a central midfielder.

Thanks CB, good report. Just one tactical change the coach has made, Alhassan is played as a CB and Vandenbergh is since the second half in Virton playing as a central midfielder.
It did seem the role next to Sanusi was not fixed yet. You mentioned Koshi was a little light weight even if he is good at pressing and that the manager didn't seem to fancy Alhassan there. Rigo obviously was suspended just now and Okyere not really near.

It will be interesting to see what he does going forwards. Having a left and right footed player there gives the team a good balance and they already have that left footed balance in defence with Matthys.

Perhaps this will continue? Alhassan and Frans are both big guys too which never hurts. With Frans having been out for so long maybe they will ease him back? I'd already started to read some negative remarks about Meisl being a little on the slow side so perhaps his spot is up for grabs? Not much news on Konstantopoulos either; maybe he's still not perceived as good enough? Sort of player you might loan to Chateauroux if United World was in full flight and had they not loaned in Ahoussou.

It's a shame about the impasse with Radic as he would fit well into this line up I'd say.

Good to see the new guy score. It looks like Vaca, Verlinden and Sebaoui are competing for one spot now with Thórisson and Baeten starting to shine.

Always good to have a settled team. It seems 8/11 roles are now relatively fixed. Just a question of who plays between Vaca/Verlinden/Sebaoui supporting the attack, where Van den Bergh plays and therefore who plays alongside Matthys/Sanusi depending where that is.

If players stay fit, the team seems to be in a good spot right now despite the huge player movement of the summer.

A good morale boosting win for Beerschot today in the early round of the Belgium Cup.

With Vaca and Sebaoui away on International duty, there were a couple of changes and they may well even struggle to get back in.

The defence started with a first start for Frans this season alongside Van den Bergh and Matthys in front of Lathouwers. Midfield was physically strong with Sanusi captaining alongside Alhassan, preferred to Koshi and with Rigo suspended.

Out wide were Seydoux and Nzita.

It looked like a front three of Verlinden, Baeten and Thórisson.

Baeten continued his excellent start to the season with a 5th goal in 7 games. A low cross from Seydoux with a second assist on the season.

It does feel a little like this team is coming together. Ideally they sort out the futures of Vanhamel and Radic because these are unnecessary distractions to a promising young team.

Anyway, half time was 1-0 and with no changes against the team from West Flanders.

Second half saw Beerschot extend their lead. Sanusi with his first goal of the season on 49 minutes.

Four minutes later and the lead was further extended when Thórisson opened his account.

This gave a chance to use the squad and rest players.

Out went Van den Bergh and Verlinden and in came Weymans and Koshi.

After Seydoux failed to convert a low cross from Thórisson, this signaled more changes as Sanusi called it an afternoon as did Seydoux with first starts for Okyere joining Koshi and Alhassan in midfield and Seydoux making way to give game time to the first summer signing Querynen, on the right.

The scoring continued as Nzita got in on the act to make it 4.

With ten minutes remaining Lathouwers made a smart low save making it a positive afternoon all round but for a second yellow in injury time from Nzita getting him dismissed and most likely a one game ban. Seems an unnecessary situation to get yourself into when leading 4-0.

Next game on October 1st sees Beerschot against 11th place Deinze, who have 1 win and 2 draws from their opening 6 matches, so they will be hoping to build on today's victory with a home win which could put them top.

Tomorrow Chateauroux have a difficult game against Dunkerque (Dunkirk) on Monday as they currently sit 3 off promotion spots but down in 11th with all the other matches playing this weekend. They have two players on international duty but as luck would have it, Sangante and Youssouf were both suspended anyway.

I'll update the thread when goals or anything to report comes in!

In the meantime here are the Beerschot goals and extended highlights from last week's round:

Cheers for these reports and highlights mate - enjoy them, particularly during the international break when there’s no Blades stuff to pour over.

Big game for Chateauroux this past evening against USL Dunkerque. With the league so tight at the moment it was important not to lose ground on the early pace setters.

Whilst Beerschot have started to find some consistency in selection, the same cannot be said for Chateauroux, who, having been plagued with three suspensions now faced an injury crisis.

With Sangante suspended in defence after a red , the last they needed was Ouaneh out due to a culmination of bookings. On top of that Fofana having been withdrawn in the last game was still not fit. Three central defensive options missing as well as another defender, Youssouf.

Delecroix remained a calming influence in goal as remaining full backs Fouda. Who isn't playing too well at the moment and Mbengue tool care of the wide areas. A new defensive partnership was needed. Basque, usually deployed in midfield, who I'd noted had played in defens before at a higher level, filled one spot and the other went to the giant young Ahoussou.

It reminds me a little of when Tonge emerged into the United team and the midfield just clicked with him, Brown, McCall and Ndlovu.

In this case, Chateauroux started the season with a midfield three of Mexique. Basque and Daham. A young 19 year old, late signing in the window. Viltard played last week as a number 6, an area they seemed lacking, and already he seems undroppable. Sunu, the former Arsenal youth, now 29, also seemed out of it and having scored the other week, started as captain. Daham was restored to complete the new dynamic.

Further forward and despite his lqck of goal prowess, they persevered with the veteran, Roux. Completing the front line of the 4-3-3 was Ntolla. Now a fixture on the left and someone who wasn't featuring early on and Bianchini on the right.

The two remaining forwards. Ndour and Germouche were on the bench as was reserve keeper Plumain and Mexique but with no senior defender there was a first appearance of Jason Gnapka, 18 year old, 1.87m centre back. He signed a contractfor 2 years as a trainee followed by 3 as a pro, so they must think highly of him. Google translate the below for more info.

To the match, and earlier comments on their somewhat sparsely populated message board were wholly negative. With so many injuries, surely a draw would be favorable? This was the general mood with concern especially around the makeshift defence.

They got off to an encouraging start, forcing three consecutive corners. Then on 14 minutes, a center from Sunu lands on the head of Ahoussou and it's one-nil from the set piece. It seems the National Twitter had the night off so I'll retrieve the goal later.

So one turning point, 6 minutes later a second. Senneville clumsily catches the goal provider, Sunu, who requires medical attention and will later go to hospital for observation and is out of the game. It's a straight red for USL Dunkerque but Chateauroux loses a form player who is replaced by Mexique on 35 minutes after gainfully trying to continue.

Immediately Chateauroux attacks through Daham whose effort is saved but then Chateauroux are saved by their keeper in a one v one and survive another scare where Ahoussou blocks a shot and they are happy to see half time.

The interval sees Basque return strapped up as a painful knee to knee collision leaves him struggling but with limited options he soldiers on.

Chateauroux are denied a penalty for a slight touch on Fouda in the area and meanwhile Viltard and Delecroix continue to mop up the danger. Elsewhere Pean in the the Dunkerque goal saves a header from Roux and a 35 yarder from Viltard.

In all it doesn't seem as if Chateauroux have the extra man but aside from Germouche replacing Bianchini, they see out a tight game to remain in the mix.

Without the goalscorer Robinet, though not sure 4-3-3 suited him, Chateauroux will probably have to endure their fair share of tight butt-clenching matches like this one unless one of the newbies starts to make their mark in the forwards.

The win leaves Chateauroux nicely placed joint top on 12 points with Concarneau, Avranches and Dunkerque whilst three teams including Nancy as well as local rivals US Orleans bad Versailles sit one point behind. In fact down as far as 12th are within one win of top such is the closeness at this early stage.

Players Sangante and Youssouf will return next week from suspension as will Ouaneh so it remains to be seen how much this defence will be seen again but fresh bodies will help especially as the next two matches are away at Concarneau next Monday and home to favorites Nancy the following week.

Concarneau are based in Brittany. Twinned with Penzance it has a medieval walled part of the town in the center of a harbour. Well worth a look on wiki.

When the goals come out I'll post on here.

For now at least the United World teams well placed. Over and out!

Drawn away to cercle brugge in the next round of the Belgian cup. Income wise not good because cercle has a very small fan base but it’s a doable fixture if our players would be focused on a good cup run.

Good home win yesterday evening. Deinze changed manager last week so it adds difficulty to the challenge. And that proved, although Deinze were second from bottom they were really up for it and dominated the first half with more goal scoring chances.

We started with:

————————Lathouwers———————-
Seydouc——Meisl——-Matthys——-Nzita
——-Rigo———-Sanusi—Van den Bergh——
——Thorisson——-Baeten——-Verlinden—-

So an attacking 4-3-3 with lots of high pressure but leaving our defense exposed at times and the goalkeeper looks uncertain.

We survived some scary moments and had a good spell towards the end of the first half with 2 penalty claims for handball and then finally the third penalty claim was awarded when Verlinden was held back on a corner. Baeten converted confidently. The second half we changed our formation to a back 3 with Van den Bergh dropping back in defense but fears that we would sit back were ungrounded as we pushed for a second and played some of the best football this season. Especially our left wing with Nzita and Verlinden worked magic. When these two click they really are something special. They worked together and set up Thorisson in the box who calmly put it away for his second goal in two games. From this it was an uphill battle for Deinze. Thorisson hit the bar later on and there were late entries for Vaca, Sebaoui and Frans. Also Petkevicius received some minutes late on. Sebaoui played a great through ball to put Petkevicius through on goal. One on one with the keeper he placed his shot too high.

Really enjoyable game, good atmosphere and great party after the game. Players are really enjoying themselves and having a good connection with the crowd. Thorisson showing his appreciation for the Icelandic flags in the crowd and Nzita and Baeten with a great celebration in front of the kop.

Next week difficult test away to RWDM who have the most expensive squad in this league.

Good home win yesterday evening. Deinze changed manager last week so it adds difficulty to the challenge. And that proved, although Deinze were second from bottom they were really up for it and dominated the first half with more goal scoring chances.

We started with:

————————Lathouwers———————-
Seydouc——Meisl——-Matthys——-Nzita
——-Rigo———-Sanusi—Van den Bergh——
——Thorisson——-Baeten——-Verlinden—-

So an attacking 4-3-3 with lots of high pressure but leaving our defense exposed at times and the goalkeeper looks uncertain.

We survived some scary moments and had a good spell towards the end of the first half with 2 penalty claims for handball and then finally the third penalty claim was awarded when Verlinden was held back on a corner. Baeten converted confidently. The second half we changed our formation to a back 3 with Van den Bergh dropping back in defense but fears that we would sit back were ungrounded as we pushed for a second and played some of the best football this season. Especially our left wing with Nzita and Verlinden worked magic. When these two click they really are something special. They worked together and set up Thorisson in the box who calmly put it away for his second goal in two games. From this it was an uphill battle for Deinze. Thorisson hit the bar later on and there were late entries for Vaca, Sebaoui and Frans. Also Petkevicius received some minutes late on. Sebaoui played a great through ball to put Petkevicius through on goal. One on one with the keeper he placed his shot too high.

Really enjoyable game, good atmosphere and great party after the game. Players are really enjoying themselves and having a good connection with the crowd. Thorisson showing his appreciation for the Icelandic flags in the crowd and Nzita and Baeten with a great celebration in front of the kop.

Next week difficult test away to RWDM who have the most expensive squad in this league.
Thanks for sharing PurpleRain very insightful!

It does seem the coach has now dropped on a preferred line up. In a sense the international break and losing Vaca and Sebaoui did him a favour. These are two wildcards that are nice to have in reserve.

Depending on the opposition, given Rigo is now also back, he can play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 by just shifting Van den Bergh as you mentioned.

I suppose the only question mark is then if another option can take Meisl's slot, be that Frans or Alhassan, though it seems Konstantopoulos is far off a start and Radic is resigned to wasting a year or at least half a season if he can engineer a move in January.

It does look like the forward department is coming together with Baeten exceeding expectations (is he loan only or is there any loan to buy?) and Thorisson making an encouraging start.

Credit to the club and coach. It's not easy to bring in so many players and find a good formula so early. Hopefully they can go from strength to strength.

To add a bit on Chateauroux who play tonight, they are in a very odd situation. The Championat National is so tight. They sit joint 4th, which is also joint 9th! A draw would see them joint 2nd though likely 4th on goal difference and a win would see them joint top or second on goal difference unless they win by 5 goals. They seem limited in options today with no genuine attacking midfielders available, but then have 4 central defenders all pressing and the right back spot under pressure. They seem further behind Beerschot in arriving at their preferred XI.

It could be all the United World teams sit in promotion spots by the end of the night!

Back
Top Bottom