United World 2022/23

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe he already owned 1 or 2 other clubs before the formation of United world in March 2020 no?

I would say “things going to shit” coinciding with Jack O’Connell, Dean Henderson and blades fans no long being able to participate in live matches due to Covid 19 could be more to do with it.

Remember Slav ruined last seasons promotion hopes who was most peoples first choice and who our chairman went out and got.

The United world restructure of staff at SU with the appointment of Heckingbottom on a long term contract was badly received yet seems to have been a master stroke.

Don’t get me wrong would I like an owner to be 100% focused on bank rolling blades, of course I would. However to have the 5 years we have had I can am more than happy with how things have gone and if we don’t sell anyone this window then it has been an excellent JTW for me irrelevant of the transfer embargo.

United World has done a decent job at the Lane for me as they are our owners and I think if we go up this season they deserve all the credit on risking finances by not selling the likes of Berge, Ndiaye, Egan, Fleck or Baldock to service a debt.

Whilst it is wrong and we should pay what we owe, if this gamble pays off and we get promoted then fair play.
I think you're confusing 'United World' with the ownership of the club, UW don't own the club, Abdullah does.

In my view 'United World' is just a concept of buying a few football clubs and diluting focus away from the core business. Even the McCabe fuckwittery of affiliations with other clubs was more successful in that Lowton had a year at Ferencvaros before coming back and doing well for us. I don't see any upside of UW for the Blades at the moment really, unless it makes us massively profitable because we've managed to apportion all of the overhead to the other clubs in the group, then I don't see any future benefits either.

Gentle reminder that United World bought an existing club, changed it's name, changed it's badge, changed the kit colour and moved it to play in a completely different city. Anti-Football.
And it’s not even clear to what benefit.

Both Chateauroux and Beerschot were in action last night in games where they really needed a positive result.

Before we get to the action, a brief round up of the January incomings so far in United World:

United -
Beerschot -
Châteauroux -

Now onto the match action!

Beerschot are getting down to, I don't know what to describe it as, but whatever is less than the bare bones!

Their 'lean' squad of 24, 23 really as former captain Vanhamel is banished from first team for being JVW's spy, is becoming thread bare. Of the remaining 23, Frederic Frans who spent a long time injured is unavailable once more, Dante Rigo, regular midfield starter out for 6 weeks with ankle trouble and Thibo Baeten, top scorer hadn't recovered from a hamstring injury. Added to this were suspensions to squad regulars, starter Matthys and sub Weymans.

This meant more of a reshuffle. In came Meisl for Matthys in the centre of the back three, Alhassan the big lad from Nigeria went into central midfield. We then saw Axl Van Himbeeck, a 17 year old join the bench supplemented with 18 year old Romano LaMorte and a first bench appearance of youth player 19 year old Sieman Clouts.

This meant:
Lathouwers; Konstantopoulos, Meisl, VDB; Seydoux, Alhassan, Sanusi, Nzita; Verlinden, Thórisson, Sebaoui
Subs - Mathijs, Quirynen, Koshi, Okyere, Van Himbeeck, Clouts, LaMorte

With a few changes they got off to a bad start against Jong Genk, going behind 1-0 in the 12th minute and a further goal in arears by the 26th.

Despite this dreadful opening, they got a lifeline as Sebaoui scored a header just before half time with his first goal of a disappointing season so far for him.

Into the second half adversity started picking up as Seydoux didn't come out for the second half and was replaced by young Robbed Quirynen, 21. Then on 58 minutes, Nzita went down and had to withdraw with Koshi, also 21, coming on. Nevertheless they were still in it.

After 68 minutes one of the 3 teenagers, LaMorte replaced Sebaoui as they pushed on with the other Van Himbeeck replacing Alhassan to give the team a very youthful look on 83 minutes.

Despite these set backs and an average age of those on field of just 22.5, on 87 they hit back, Quirynen set up Can Himbeeck to score his first professional goal to draw level at 2-2.

Beerschot continued to press and got their rewards as the Icelander Thórisson set up captain Sanusi to score a 96th minute winner.

A grest result which puts them back up to joint first as others will play later this weekend but 38 from 20 a very respectable outcome given the circumstances. The other top 3 teams SK Beveren and RWDM play away from home on Sunday.

This must have increased Gomis' chance of an extended stay with potentially 3 defenders nursing injuries (Frans, Seydoux and Nzita). They'll certainly be crossing fingers on these latter two with them being the regular wing backs. With Rigo and Baeten being out it would be sensible to add a midfielder and striker, but that remains to be seen. Events of the night should put paid to interest in Nzita who was linked with Westelo though Beerschot rebuffed their enquires. The Indonesian they were linked with seems also to be trialing elsewhere in Belgium at Jong Gent (not Genk, Friday's opponents).

So, job done there and over to Châteauroux who usually play their games on Fridays.

I managed to catch this one too. They were playing Avranches at home in a match where they could leapfrog their opponents and come out of the bottom six.

They lined up in a 4-3-3, which for me lacked goals but had options on the bench with lost players now fit:
Delecroix; Youssouf, Ouaneh, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Mexique, Viltard, Sanganté; Ntolla, Roux, Bianchini
Subs - Basque (D/M), Sunu (CM), N'Goma (AM), Grange (AM), Ndour (CF)

It was a cagey opening though Chateauroux had to defend one or two corners. At the other end the 34 year old between keeper who has been there for 9 years, Anthony Beuve, was in inspired form. Mexique, who had a good. Busy game had a slaloming run only for the keeper to get down low and save. He pushed over a long range 'piss missile' (trade mark Nessman930 's buddy Chad!). Then there was a good run by Sanganté which got headed into the path of Ntolla who contrived to hit the inside of the post and out.

Pressure finally told however as on the stroke of half time Malcolm Viltard went on a smooth run to the byline and pulled back for Mexique to sweep home. A very aesthetically pleasing goal.

No more goals in the game and a sigh of relief though Ouaneh was subbed on 58 through injury for Basque which will surely cause some concern as their most reliable centre half. Sunu, for Bianchini and N'Goma for Ntolla also came on 81 and 93 as they looked to see out the game.

This win moves them up to 12th on 21 points from 18 games with a first win under Maxence Flachez. This puts them a point above the bottom 6 but well behind the top two, Martigues, their next opponents lost 2-0 to Cholet away and sit 2nd on 32 whilst Versailles could only draw at home to LePuy Foot 1-1 but move up to 33 points. Still 16 games left but a lot of traffic to get through if Châteauroux are to start looking upwards instead of over their shoulders.

Over and out for another week as "my watch continues"!

I remember when the whole United World thing came to fruition... Afer Mccabe's Chengdu, Ferencvaros and Sydney connections turning out to be a load of shite, I began to think that we may finally have owners savvy enough to create an umbrella that would hopefully bear fruit and benefit us in the long run...

How wrong was i?... I see no purpose what so ever in the United World umbrella. It has in no way benefitted our club, in fact if anything i appears quite the opposite. I feel that the shift in emphasis from the owners, has potentially been at the our detriment.

Initially I had some interest as a fan of the club who should top the pyramid...Would any of these clubs produce absolute gems for us etc etc.....But that was short lived....I feel no connection what so ever towards Chateauroux, Al Hilal, Beerschot or Kerala United and I care not for them in any way. They are just football clubs in other corners of the planet, they literally hold no relevance to us.

I remember when the whole United World thing came to fruition... Afer Mccabe's Chengdu, Ferencvaros and Sydney connections turning out to be a load of shite, I began to think that we may finally have owners savvy enough to create an umbrella that would hopefully bear fruit and benefit us in the long run...

How wrong was i?... I see no purpose what so ever in the United World umbrella. It has in no way benefitted our club, in fact if anything i appears quite the opposite. I feel that the shift in emphasis from the owners, has potentially been at the our detriment.

Initially I had some interest as a fan of the club who should top the pyramid...Would any of these clubs produce absolute gems for us etc etc.....But that was short lived....I feel no connection what so ever towards Chateauroux, Al Hilal, Beerschot or Kerala United and I care not for them in any way. They are just football clubs in other corners of the planet, they literally hold no relevance to us.
It is true what you say that aside from a couple of loan U23 players the other year, woefully misplaced (for Seriki, Broadbent the level of top flight Belgium football was underestimated for their ability at the time and in Seriki's case he was 3rd choice RB so not really needed) there has been very little transparency regarding any collaboration between the clubs and limited visible structure in terms of playing resources. Coulibaly has been the only potential 'partial success'. He had a good first season with Beerschot and we hope he can have an impact with us.

No pre-season tournament, no standalone friendlies, hardly a single comment from Hecky about the other clubs.

If you buy into this, at the start of the season, each manager picks his squad and then releases a pool of those players to the other members of the group who either could be made available to them on loan or are seen as a flight risk that might add value to others in the group I.e. he's too good for us but might be able to step up for you or he's in and out for us but could be a regular starter for you. In turn, players get advised early that being placed overseas will be a good way to round their skills and a good way to increase their maturity. These can then be closely monitored within the group's own framework.

For instance players who United alone have loaned out this season - Amissah, Eastwood, Dewhurst, Hiddleston, Seriki, Starbuck, Gordon, Belehouan, Freckleton, Gomis, Boyes, Angel, Neal, Peck, Maguire, Broadbent, Brunt, Brooks, Ayari, Oluleye, Osula

Meanwhile, Chateauroux and Beerschot have loaned in a combined 8 players and Beerschot themselves loanee out a player to France in a position Chateauroux are still weak (Left winger Soumaré to Quevily Rouen).

I'm not suggesting no club loans players from elsewhere nor that local loans don't serve a purpose but there are instances directly where a United player has really seemed at a loose end and another club could have given them good experience and benefited. Chateauroux are a good example. They loaned Germouche (forward) from Montpellier, Bianchini (winger) from Amiens and Ahoussou from Nice. They would be just as well served getting Ayara from us, Soumaré from Beerschot and Gomis from us to fill those slots and it would have been mutually beneficial. At least they would have been developing 'our' players

As I've alluded before, maybe there are less transparent benefits. Perhaps you buy scouting software for $100k and each user licence then costs $10k. If each team had one analyst alone (keeping it simple), then as an individual club you would be paying $110k. As part of a group of 5 teams you would pay 20k of the fixed cost and $10k for the user, so $30k vs $100k.

A lot of assumptions in there but I wonder if things like this and the whole buying in bulk concept is where we are at. Kind of like how a SPAR works i.e. a cooperative type venture.

It doesn't really tangibly feel like a partnership at this point and you could argue in such an arrangement you're better being in the middle of the pyramid as you are likely to have others do things for you whereas as the top you're probably more of an instigator and with skilled players they will come infrequently so your benefits will be seen more rarely.

Then again, it all depends on the level of competition of the other clubs and how much they buy in to borrowing your players. I think most would acknowledge the limits of U21 football with kids playing other kids in the main. Men's football, the increased physicality and so on offers more of a challenge and the jeopardy is higher.

Look at Amissah. Good cameo for us ve Luton. Went to Burton, had an unconvincing first game and now he has lost his place. That's the reality they have to get used to. In the U21s you're probably rotated back in within a fortnight. In the world where results count you are more accountable for your performances and that's how it will be in the real world for them.

But, yes, for now it seems a very light model and with the whole takeover pending it's hanging by a thread right now anyway so may never get to see the light of day in terms of what it could have been.

It seems the takeover is only involving us. That's good news for the United world model...the Belgian and French sides could potentially get significant funds and be used to develop young players who get sold on to bigger clubs.

I do think there is merit in having feeder clubs but only if it's done correctly. If Coulibaly turns out to be as good as early media links suggested then it's not been a total disaster

So a few weeks to recap on before Dozy comes and pulls the plug on this thread!

In terms of the transfer window, Beerschot did make a couple of low key moves. In came Nickseon Gomis from United in a move to the wider group that you’d think could have been done in the prior window to them or Châteauroux. In addition, out had gone Vaca and Petkevicius so to balance this, there was a late arrival of a forward player, 21 year old Henri Koide from FC Zurich. Overall 3 in, 3 out with the other moves being Moutha-Sebtaoui, an additional keeper and LaMorte, the young forward being let go. It leaves them with 3 keepers plus the unwanted Vanhamel, 10 defenders, 7 midfielders and 4 forwards to complete the campaign. Probably still wanted more experience but no activity is what they feared and at least they got a couple in.

Game wise, they must be cursing the winter break. Flying with 6 wins from 6, they crept over the line the other week but registered their 3rd post break defeat from 4 matches.

Rigo, Seydoux and Baeten made the bench as well as one of the new signings which augers well for future games but in this last game they lost to Lierse 1-0. Gomis wasn’t involved.

Sadly for them too it was a game they should probably have got something. They had 69% possession, outpassed the opposition 593 to 272, had 9 Corners to 3 and had the same shots, 10 apiece.

They really do need to get their act together. RWDM are now top with 43 points, SK Beveren second on 40, Beerschot 3rd on 38. It is really imperative on Monday that they beat RWDM at home to even things up for the play off league (not sure of the official name!). But each of the 12 teams will have played each other twice by the end of this weekend to take them to 22 matches. What happens next is the league splits in two and each team then plays the other 5 in their half, twice. As the top flight is being reduced back to 16, 3 come down and only one goes up so results need to improve though RWDM are now in the box seat.

In terms of line up, given the lean squad, no surprises:
(3-4-3): Lathouwers; Konstantopoulous, Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Quirynen (Seydoux,55), Koshi (Alhassan,56), Sanusi, Weymans (Rigo,69); Verlinden, Thorisson (Koide,84), Sebaoui (Baeten,56)

They will hope their luck turns on Monday. No highlights to share as no goals!

Over to Châteauroux and there is a growing sense of abandonment with regards to the lifeline they need. The message seems to be from United World “we gave you a decent budget of €7.5m per year for the last two years, you spent it, so you get yourselves out of the mess”. Fans are very nervous. Talk of the training centre being converted to a hotel for the Olympics shows what a difference relegation would make as they look to cling onto pro status. No movements on Deadline Day aside from reserve left back Sans being loaned out to US Orleans. With them also at the top of their wage limit this wasn’t a surprise and made you wonder why they even bothered keeping the head of recruitment on after he’d agreed to join Sochaux.

Two games to update, starting with the low. An absolute howler from the keeper miskicking a simple back pass to the centre forward early in the game and then seeing his team draw a blank. They continue to be incredibly power puff up front and struggle for any consistency. They really should have been pushing promotion though the squad, missing the forwards they sold has struggled but then again they have wasted money elsewhere in the team so need to lol within somewhat too. There is a bit of subtle blame game with the local board hiring a lack of support or additional finance without being self aware enough to openly acknowledge they’ve doubled some cash on assembling a not that effective squad. If they stay up then only 6 in contract players remain so they can regroup at least.

Anyway, they went back to a 4-3-3, which to be honest is merely aping what the old manager was playing.

Delecroix; Youssouf, Sanganté, Ahoussou, Mbengue; N’Goma (Grange,38); Basque (Viltard,63), Mexique; Bianchini, Roux (Ndour,63), Sunu (Ntolla,52)

It was inexplicable that Viltard didn’t start and a poor performance for what it deserved, capped off by an injury to N’Goma. He’s one of three older players along with Grange and Sunu who never seem to be available for a sustained period. I will include the highlight here just so you can see how bad the goal was!

So back into the bottom six they went and in danger of leaving the professional game.

In came a home game last night against LePuy Foot, a team well used to accepting the relegation spots this season and a must win.

Finally it came together with a 4-1 win last night and a jump outside the relegation spots but at a cost.

After a cagey first half where Chateauroux were on top, a corner was out across that Sanganté was able to head home to give them a half time lead.

Not long after half time Sanganté succumbed to injury and his replacement Fofana got in a tangle with the attacker, injured himself and gave away a penalty in the process. He was then stretchered off, to be replaced by Sunu with Basque dropping into defence.

Fortunately for Chateauroux, Ahoussou met a cross to make it 2-1, Bianchini, in acres of space put away only his second in a disappointing season to make it 3-1. Then right near the end, the goal of the night, a genuine thunderbastard from Youssouf who rattled a 25 years free kick in off the bar.

But with Fofana, Sanganté and N'Goma out and Grange apparently having an operation on his hand this week they will find themselves short on bodies as they enter a crucial set of matches.

Positive results against FBBP away as well as a Derby vs US Orleans and an away trop to Dunkerque followed by Concarneau and Nancy should largely set the tone for where the season is going. Highly unlikely they will be in the promotion mix unless they went on a winning run for the rest of the season but they at least have a chance to maintain their pro status. It will end up being a season of what might have been in a weak league where better recruitment and resource usage could have seen them near the top.

Apologies for the calamitous autocorrect interventions and there!

There is a bit of subtle blame game with the local board hiring a lack of support or additional finance without being self aware enough to openly acknowledge they’ve doubled some cash on assembling a not that effective squad
=
There is a bit of subtle blame game with the local board hinting a lack of support or additional finance without being self aware enough to openly acknowledge they’ve allocated cash on assembling a less that effective squad

In came a home game last night against LePuy Foot, a team well used to accepting the relegation spots this season and a must win.
=
In came a home game last night against LePuy Foot, a team well used to occupying the relegation spots this season and a must win.

Then right near the end, the goal of the night, a genuine thunderbastard from Youssouf who rattled a 25 years free kick in off the bar.
=
Then right near the end, the goal of the night, a genuine thunderbastard from Youssouf who rattled a 25 yard free kick in off the bar.

Hope this helps. I wrote it myself and even I didn't understand it! 🤣

So Beerschot played their season defining match against RWDM, who incidentally I think I mentioned have some link to the White Star Woluwe that United used to have links with.

In that regard, old triumphed over new. Another disappointing result for Beerschot, going down 1-0 to a penalty conceded by left sided stand in Waymans. As usual, Beerschot had more possession, 56-44% and more passes, 408 to 322, more pass accuracy, 76%-66%, but not more shots 11(2 on)-16(4 on) and the goals have simply dried up. Rattling the woodwork, this time Rigo, also confirmed their luck was out.

An attack that could seemingly do no wrong in Verlinden, Baeten and Thorisson drew a blank. The pity for Beerschot was that, left wing back aside, this was their strongest team. Of interest to United, Gomis made his debut as a second half sub. So, Beerschot qualify for the end of season shake up, but do so with 8 points in arrears from RWDM and also sit behind SK Beveren. 10 matches will now ensue for the winner takes all prize. Barring a sharp turnaround in form, Beerschot will fall short which is a pity given how well they ended the year but a horrendous start to this one seems to have put paid to their chances. To make matters worse they also had Konstantopoulous sent off in injury time too. PurpleRain what’s going wrong in 2023 after 2022 ended so well?

Team - Lathouwers; Konstantopoulous, Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Seydoux (Koide,69); Rigo, Sanusi, Weymans (Gomis,69), Verlinden, Baeten, Thorisson

Goals from Châteauroux win including the excellent free kick late on:

What’s wrong? The squad is too thin. We don’t have quality replacements for the first 11. Weymans is a serious downgrade now that Nzita is injured. And some players of the first 11 are tiring or out of form. You can’t expect them to play every single game at the top of their potential. With 2, 3 quality players extra I think we would easily win this league but money has dried up and the other clubs have invested a lot more in their squads which now is showing through. A shame because we have discovered some really great players. Verlinden for instance is a great baller. A bit similar to Ndiaye in terms of style but not yet the same end product.

A few games have passed since the last update so here goes…

Starting with Beerschot.

After the disappointing loss to RWDM in the last game of the regular season, the league has now split.

Beerschot find themselves in the top 6 who will fight to go up, with all prior points retained. Their other opponents are RWDM, SK Beveren, RSCA (Anderlecht U23s), Lierse and Club NXT.

First game up, RCSA at home ended in a disappointing stalemate at 0-0 with the away side shading the stats.
Line up: Lathouwers; Konstantopoulous, Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Seydoux, Rigo, Sanusi, Weymans (Koshi,72); Verlinden, Baeten, Thorisson (Sebaoui,58)

This was followed by a trip to Lierse which gave a welcome 1-0 victory. One of the main takeaways being that, as PurpleRain mentioned, Weymans, who went a period being without a club, being a big drop off from Nzita. This led to a formation change to a back 4 and 4-2-3-1 over the previous 3-4-3. Meisl, the Austrian centre back also came in for Konstantopoulous, who I assume had a knock. The formation change also saw a starting berth for Sebaoui, with him, Thorisson and Verlinden supporting Baeten. After Thorisson hit the post and Vekemens saw red at the end of the first half, Baeten popped up on 57 to seal the points with his 13th in 25 matches.

Line up: Lathouwers; Seydoux, Meisl, Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Rigo, Sanusi; Thorisson, Verlinden, Sebaoui; Baeten

Last game to recap was last night. After that superb run of 6 consecutive wins up to the break the form continues to desert them. Every game now is a 6-pointer. A dominant display; 17(5) shots to 12(4) and 62% possession should have been coupled with a positive result, putting them 4 behind RWDM and 1 behind SK Beveren. It was not to be. They succumbed to an 88th minute winner and went down 1-0 in a pivotal game which leaves them 7 off the joint leaders though RWDM have a game in hand.

Line up: Lathouwers; Konstantopoulous (Seydoux,73), Meisl, Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Rigo, Koshi (Alhassan); Thorisson (Frans,89) Verlinden, Sebaoui; Baeten

They’ve done well after effectively having to rebuild the team from scratch in the summer after relegation and replace so many key players. With a decent coach and less turnover, they can probably go with confidence next year, especially if 2 promotion spots are available unlike this time. Baeten will be hard to replace though. It’s looking like RWDM’s to lose right now unless Beerschot can recapture the end of year form. Games against Club NXT (Club Brugge U23s) sit either side of a doubler header against RWDM. If miracles are to happen then it has to be during these four fixtures. Bad news also this week was the injury of Captain Ryan Sanusi in training, which weakens them for the run in, especially with Nzita still sitting it out. Still no sign of Gomis so perhaps he’s not doing enough given they are down numbers right now.

Fast forward one month from the last game and Beerschot sit in 4th spot well behind the one automatic promotion spot. Did the International Break come at the wrong time or did they just run out of steam? Probably both, but an absence of depth in contrast to others has cost them.

Playing Club NXT, the B Teams of Club Brugge, they would have been looking to bounce back but in the absence of Sanusi, went down 2-1. A defelcted consolation by Van Himbeeck in the 88th minute wasn't enough to offset a great counter-attacking goals from De Smet and penenka penalty from Vermant in the first half.

Team: Lathouwers; Konstantopoulos (Seydoux,64), Meisl, Matthys, Ven Den Bergh; Rigo, Koshi (Weymans,46); Verlinden (Frans,76), Thorisson (Van Himbeeck,46), Sebaoui (Kosiah,46); Baeten

Next up a 1-1 home draw with RWDM, both goals early in the second half, Beerschot's from Van Den Bergh. Draws no good at this stage and despite Sanusi returning and reverting to 3 at the back RWDM were worth a point with 20 shots on goal to Beerschot's 11 with the Beerschot keeper lauded for his display. They are now 13 behind with just 15 points up for grabs. Here's how they lined up plus goals:

Lathouwers; Meisl, Konstantopoulos, Matthys; Seydoux (Van Himbeeck,82), Sanusi (Weymans,90+2), Rigo, Van Den Bergh; Verlinden, Baeten, Thorisson (Kosiah,80)

Over to Chateauroux...

Châteauroux are aiming to stay up now, after more lofty aspirations at the start of the season.

Since the cracking win 4-1 vs LePuy Foot was followed up with an impressive 2-0 away victory at FBBP with first half goals from Ntolla, a lovely strike and Mexique. The opposition had a man sent off which meant Berri had no issues seeing out the game.
Team: Delecroix, Fouda (Koembo,89), Basque, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Mexique (Grange,65), Viltard, Sunu (Daham,81), Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,81), Ntolla

Next up, as is often the case in derbies, a tight affair. Looking like they would lose to conceding in the 69th minute, a spirited comeback saw Nolan Roux roll back the years and equalise in the first minute of stoppage time. The opposition went a man down for the second week but too late to impact the score in the 90th minute.

Still without the injured Sanganté and Ouaneh, they lined us as follows:
Delecroix; Fouda, Basque, Ahoussou, Mbengue (Bianchini,59); Mexique (Daham,82), Viltard, Sunu (Grange,74) Youssouf, Ndour (Roux,59) Ntolla

They were then unable to follow this up vs Dunkerque who have really kicked on since. Chabert, the former Berri coach had just been announced as Dunkerque manager though his was a watching brief as Châteauroux went down disappointingly in a game they could well have won. Bound to be a bit of a season of regret in thar regard. With Mexique injured in the last game they lined up as follows:
Team: Delecroix, Fouda (Daham,86), Sanganté, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Grange (Sunu,42), Viltard, Basque; Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,63), Thio
What was sad about this game is that Romani Grange went down on 42 minutes in what looked a serious injury. End of his season, end of his contract in June and possibly end of his career. Sad as he started the season so well until injuries continued to impact him once more and this now seems a bad one.

High flying Concarneau came to town and played their part in an entertaining 4-2 win for the home side as the team put behind them the poor display vs Dunkerque. Daham, Ntolla and Roux have them a 3-0 lead only to be pegged back 3-2 but for Ndour to seal the points as the sun made it 4-2. Without Grange, Mexique and Viltard all unavailable this represented a very good win.

Team: Delecroix; Fouda, Sanganté, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Daham, Basque (Baich,80), Sunu (N’Goma,67); Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,68), Thio

Next up was a trip to Nancy, who are the biggest team in National, having been relegated last year and having taken Robinet from Châteauroux. A tight game saw Châteauroux do the double over their divisional rivals, now for the drop rather than ascent. The goal came in the 32nd minute after Fouda had been brought down. The confident Youssouf stepping up to hammer home.

Team: Delecroix, Fouda, Sanganté, Ahoussou, Mbengue (N’Goma,78), Daham (Baich,90+3), Basque, Sunu (Mexique,77); Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,77), Ntolla

At this point confidence was on the up but was soon to come crashing down in somewhat unfortunate circumstances against Bastia-Borgo. As the International break arrived, Châteauroux found themselves missing several key players. As they were not due to commitments to the French National team set up they could not postpone, whereas Nancy for example, missing just 2 U21 players were able to.

A really disappointing loss to last in the league, who now did the double over Châteauroux 1-0 leaves them with regrets for the season. Sanganté, Mbengue, Ahoussou were missing from defence, Youssouf from the wing as well as Mexique from midfield gave an unfamiliar look. Debuts for Gnakpa at centre back, Mazikou at left back, with Basque dropping to defence as Baich took up an unfamiliar role on the right wing. Game could have gone either way but a parting of the defence allowed for the decisive goal. Top B team scorer Verdier also got on for his debut with a few higher teams keeping an eye on him.

Team: Delecroix, Fouda, Gnakpa, Basque, Mazikou; Viltard, Daham (Verdier,66), Sunu (Ndour,81); Baich (N’Goma,46), Roux (Bozkurt, 89), Ntolla

https://youtu.be/B-BQ1-k5b1Q

In what has been an unpredictable season a trip to high flying Versailles promises more disappointment however once more the apple cart was upset.

A superb display and a classy finish from veteran Nolan Roux took the points and put Châteauroux up to a more comfortable 8th, 9 off Dunkerque in 2nd and 4 off FBBP in 6th bottom, the last relegation spot. Unlikely a promotion challenge will emerge but the main aim is avoiding the drop. Sanganté went off injured but it seems not too serious. Mbengue was missing through suspension and this is the first game back for Ouaneh since his return from injury, having got a red card from the bench in a reserve game! I bet he was popular!

Anyway, the case for staying up was strengthened as Nancy got docked 2 points for fielding a suspended player against Concarneau which could alter end of season outcomes. Nancy drop down to 33 points, joint 6th bottom having lost the point for the draw and being fined a point. Meanwhile Concarneau, who raised the issue get awarded a 3-0 win and sit 3rd on GD, joint points with Dunkerque. Sneaky Petes!

Team: Delecroix; Fouda, Sanganté (Ouaneh,60), Ahoussou, Mazikou; Mexique, Daham (Viltord,83), Basque; Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,73), Ntolla (Sunu,83)

https://youtu.be/LqTvPp6Ur4o

Good thing for Châteauroux is that through necessity they are having to book a few young lads. Steely Mazikou at left back has kept his spot for tonight’s game despite Mbengue being fit so I can imagine some thoughts are also turning to a more cost effective playing staff with some high wage contracts - Roux, Grange, Sunu, N’Goma, Sanganté, Mbengue - all up in the summer.

Now you are up to date with United World, let’s go and beat Wigan!

Going to bring you up to date with United World now in what will be the next to next to last one covering this season and possibly ever 😁

4 matches to update for Chateauroux in what has been a very inconsistent season. I'll be quick on the first three as the one last night was quite frankly unbelievable.

First up, played Cholet, a team who were above them. Two second half goals gave a decent home win with Youssouf, now making his mark further forward opening the scoring on 50 and then an own goal on the 89th minute sealing the deal.

Team: Delecroix; Fouda (Viltard 84), Sanganté(Ouaneh,93), Ahoussou, Mazikou; Basque, Mexique (Daham,93), Sunu; Youssouf, Roux(Ndour,93), Ntolla

Next up were LeMans, another middling team in what would have been a very disappointing outcome. Drew 1-1 having taken the lead through Youssouf on 57 against a team down to 10 men from the 18th minute, letting in a 94th minute equaliser.

Team: Delecroix; Fouda, Sanganté, Ahoussou, Mazikou; Basque, Mexique, Sunu (Viltard,75); Youssouf, Roux(N'Foma,81), Ntolla

This disappointment was followed by worse as they went down 2-1 to Stade Briochin, one of the teams bound for the drop. After going behind on 13, Youssouf again bagged on 37 only for them to concede on 76 and come away with no points.

Team: Delecroix; Fouda (Viltard, 89), Ouaneh, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Basque, Mexique, Daham (Sunu,80); Youssouf, Ndour (Verdier,84), Ntolla

So to last night.

A game straight out of the Sheffield United Bad Old Days playbook.

Nursing several injuries they were forced into moving from their usual 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2.

They managed to:
Lose 5-1 at home
Be reduced to with 9 men
Concede 3 penalties
Score with 9 men
End up with an outfield player in goal

That would be pretty good going even for us!

Goal conceded on 5 minutes marked a bad start with Sanganté losing his man. He further compounded his night by dragging his man down when through making it 2-0 from the spot and a man down after just 14. A clumsy tackle by Mexique got him a booking and conceded the second penalty, dispatched by a different outfield player on just 22 minutes. By 37 the same player got a second yellow and went in 3-0 down at the break and 2 men down.

They started the second half well and Basque converted a cross to reduce the arrears. Then another clumsy challenge, don't recall by whom, led to 4-1 with Sergio, the second taker getting his second spot kick.

By this point it wasn't clear whether Delecroix had genuinely injured his shoulder or just had enough be he signalled to come off so Basque went in goal.

Rather than play it safe he twice passed to players under pressure from the back. One subsequent shot rattled the crossbar and then a similar passage of play saw a defender dispossessed and more decisive outcome. Still time for Ouaneh to limp off.

So, having been shorn of Ahoussou who was suspended, and already without Grange, N'Goma and Sunu for the season as well as Youssouf with a muscle injury and Roux amongst others, they now have to hope the dreaded 4 ahead with 3 to play is enough for them not to drop. It is conceivable they could be without the above apart from Ahoussou plus Delecroix the first choice keeper, Sanganté and Ouaneh, two first choice centre backs through suspension and injury respectively and also Mexique, one of their best players of late.

They finish off with Sedan (a), Red Star (h) and Paris 13 Athletico (a).

To Beerschot now. They've lost their chance of promotion now and are just playing for pride.

First up after the creditable 1-1 with leaders RWDM they played the same opposition and got thumped 4-0, losing 3-0 at half time. Ouch!

Team: Lathouwers; Seydoux (Querynen,46), Konstantopoulos, Meisl (Frans,46), Matthys; Thorisson, Van Himbeeck (Koshi,67), Rigo; Baeten (Sebaoui,81), Kosiah (Weymans, 31), Verlinden

Next up Club NXT. Result 4-0 Beerschot! First half goals from Verlinden, Baeten followed by second half efforts from Thorisson and Koshi. Also a debut for 18 year old Aaron Osei Bonsu as fellow teenager Van Himbeeck continued to deputies for injured Sanusi.

Team: Lathouwers; Konstantopoulos (Frans,90), Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Seydoux, Van Himbeeck (Koshi,75), Rigo, Weymans; Verlinden, Baeten (Sebaoui,85), Thorisson (Osei Bonsu,85)

Last match played was against SK Beveren, who are pushing for the tip spot with RWDM. 3 second half goals and a red card for Van Den Bergh made for a miserable outing as Beerschot come to terms with simply not being good enough this season.

Team: Lathouwers; Konstantopoulos (Frans,91), Matthys, Van Den Bergh; Seydoux, Van Himbeeck (Kosiah, 66), Rigo, Weymans (Meisl,61); Verlinden (Koshi, 91), Baeten, Thorisson

Beerschot sit 4th some 17 off RWDM and 16 off SK Beveren with a trip to Anderlecht Futures next up, finishing off with Lierse at home.

Over and out!

Some good news is that Beerschot were able to convert Baeten's loan to a perm move. With 14 in 30 and 3 assists and being 20 at least this augers well fkr next year. Still no sign of Gomis so chalk up another failed United World transfer.

First up Beerschot.

The penultimate game of the season saw Beerschot put away Anderlecht Futures 2-0. Encouragingly two first half goals from recent Liberian signing Kosiah settled the match.

Team: Matijas, Konstantopoulos (Alhassan,85), Frans, Matthys; Seydoux, Rigo, Sanusi (Van Himbeeck,77), Weymans (Osei Bonsu,85); Kosiah (Kolde,68), Baeten (Sebaoui, 77), Thorisson

The last game of the season ended in a 2-1 home defeat against Lierse who had been reduced to 10 men for the last 16 minutes. The goal, a very nice one, was scored by Thorisson, the Icelander, on 34 minutes only for the scoring to be done by the 38th minute.

Team: Matijas, Konstantopoulos (Van Himbeeck,61), Frans (Meisl,87), Matthys; Seydoux (Nzita,61), Rigo, Sanusi, Van Den Bergh; Verlinden (Kosiah,61), Baeten, Thorisson (Sebaoui, 87)

A farewell game for the veteran Frans who has since been released as has 3rd keeper Moutha-Sebtaoui and little used midfielder Abraham Okyere. Loans of right wing back Seydoux, Gomis from United and Baeten from Nijmigen concluded with the latter being converted to a perm deal. Meanwhile winger Simion Michez joins from Anderlecht B, 21 whilst Issa Soumaré returns from a successful loan at Quevilly Rouen.

Overall they finished well behind RWDM who attained 69 points with Beerschot taking 3rd spot joint on 49 points with .

Disappointing in terms of the overall goal of promotion. Odds however were stacks against this with only one spot and a new team to construct with so many exercising release clauses.

Lathouwers played most of the games in goal, latterly giving up the spot to Matijs, though these will probably be their options next year but with an upgrade needed if promoted unless they kick on. Both are only 23.

They found a decent left wing back in Nzita, 23, but when injured Waymans lacked quality to support. Likewise Querynen as back up right back is young at 21 and unless Seydoux returns, they will need a new first choice.

In centre defence, Matthys and Van Den Bergh showed capability, though alongside them a few players had a shot. Konstantopoulos is big and young, 20, so he may be a consideration. Meisl was probably average whilst Frans is getting on now. Gomis failed to break through.

In midfield, Rigo and Sanusi continue to be a good pair but lack competition and cover. Van Himbeeck is 18 so will need time to develop. Not convinced Koshi, Alhassan or Okyere really had the quality with the latter now leaving. So more depth here needed and possibly experience if the team is not going to falter as soon as inevitable injuries arrive.

Up front a bit of a mixed bag. Baeten made a promising debut season with 14 goals and 3 assists in 32 appearances. They did lack an alternative or old head to turn to when he wasn't fit or on it. They have made attempts but United World seem to only want youth for Beerschot. 22 year old Koide from the Swiss league and Kosiah from Liberia, joining from Breda offer options but a nasty experienced target man would really add to their mix of youth and more youth. In terms of wider players in the 3-4-3, Thorisson made an encouraging start with 8 goals and 3 assists from 30 games though perhaps needs more consistency next time. Sebaoui was hugely disappointing and it's not clear if this was a one off bad season or his early career form was the anomaly. Verlinden finished with good figures of 33 starts, 6 goals and 7 assists represented a decent season, especially when he was interchanging with Nzita.

They still need to resolve the situation with Mike Vanhamel in goal who has long been out of favour. To me, ideally they add one in each department to strengthen plus another right back. So minimum centre back, right back, centre mid and centre forward ideally with some experience if they are serious about going up next time.

Onto Chateauroux.

I must have mentioned before that the French leagues are reducing to 18 teams. As a result 6 go down from the National. After a poor run of 4 defeats having looked safe and having already had to realign their promotion hopes, Berri could go down today.

Good news is that it is in their own hands. Win away at Paris 13, also known as Gobelins and they are safe. Otherwise it's any number of permutations involving Nancy, Avranches and Bourg-en-Bresse.

They took on Sedan away after the 5-1 humiliation at home and missed out on what could be a crucial point, going down with an inexperienced team due to injuries, 3-2.

2-0 down at half time and 3-0 on 61 minutes, Mbengue on 64 and youngster Verdier on 76 created a hopeful final 15 but to no avail despite missing a header from close in with one of the last actions of the match.

Team: Plumain; Fouda, Basque, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Viltard, Daham, Baïch (Canelhas,53); Mendy, Ndour (Verdier,53), Ntolla

Chance to put the record straight came a week later against Red Star of Paris, and despite a cagey game, another useful point was given up in the 87th minute meaning all now rides on this final match.

Team: Plumain; Fouda, Basque, Ahoussou, Mbengue; Mexique, Daham (Canelhas,89), Viltard; Youssouf, Roux (Ndour,89), Ntolla (Verdier 81)

The repurcussions could be severe; loss of professional status, having to give up the training centre which could be converted by the city to a hotel and a doubt over the whole United World project in France, not to mention the loss of probably 100 jobs or more behind the scenes. So, a fair amount riding on beating an already relegated team, away, on a plastic pitch! All this for a team whom the majority will be out of contract. Fingers crossed for them!

I think you're confusing 'United World' with the ownership of the club, UW don't own the club, Abdullah does.

In my view 'United World' is just a concept of buying a few football clubs and diluting focus away from the core business. Even the McCabe fuckwittery of affiliations with other clubs was more successful in that Lowton had a year at Ferencvaros before coming back and doing well for us. I don't see any upside of UW for the Blades at the moment really, unless it makes us massively profitable because we've managed to apportion all of the overhead to the other clubs in the group, then I don't see any future benefits either.
Blades Leisure Limited own the Football Club.

United World Holdings Limited own BLL.

UWHL is owned by? Anyone know?

Well, here we are then, the end of the United World season for both Beerschot and now Chateauroux.

The final match all riding on it was a dramatic roller coaster.

With injuries galore the entire first team squad headed to Paris to ensure a togetherness in the most difficult of times.

The excellent Paul Delecroix want fit so the largely untested Tommy Plumain continued in goal.

They went with a back three of Ouaneh, Sanganté the captain and Ahoussou the tall Ivorian loanee.

Out wide there was no place for regular right back Fouda as Youssouf took on the right wing back role, having scored 6 goals when deployed further forward with Ntolla, the usual left winger lining up on the other side.

In the middle Mexique was back alongside Viltard with Basque deeper in the role greatly termed Sentinel.

Up front some surprise as for the first time almost all season they played two strikers, Ndour, tall, powerful, but it has to be said, clumsy and Bozkurt, plucked from non-league and very rough around the edges.

On the bench was young keeper Diarra, left back Mbengue, Canelhas who had been injured all season, Sunu, formerly of Arsenal and coveted young prospect Verdier.

They got off to the perfect start. A cross from left after a quick shimmy from Ntolla and Ndour deflected onto the ball. The ball may have then been over the line however the bounce out found the head of Bozkurt for his first goal of the season and his first for Chateauroux, justifying the Manager's call.

Chateauroux in the ascendency then took further strides while I'm the ascendency. A cross from the right evaded the centre half and centre forward and fell to Nathaniel Thio (Ntolla) who smashed home high at the near post.

At one point Le Mans were in the drop zone as Nancy had taken the lead in their game.

Half time. Chateauroux were virtually safe. Le Mans were losing to Dunkerque and Nancy were now drawing 1-1 with FBBP meaning Nancy, the biggest club in N1, only relegated from Ligue Deux the prior season were facing the unthinkable.

The second half started badly. More missed chances from Chateauroux and Ndour specifically to put the game to bed then Ahoussou got outmuscled and the arrears were reduced.

Then inexplicably Sanganté made a poor decision and got dispossessed and allowed Cissé in on goal where his shot went through Plumain who made a real hash of it. 2-2. Meanwhile Nancy had gone behind and pulled level once more and a brace from Gnanduillet, formerly of Blackpool had allowed Le Mans to leapfrog Chateauroux. Meanwhile Sunu came on for Bozkurt in attack.

Then disaster struck in the cruelest of manners. Thomas Robinet, formerly of Chateauroux, taken from them by Oostende and then controversially loaned to their fellow group member Nancy, struck to put Nancy ahead 3-2. With Le Mans level this now had Le Mans tracking 44 points, Nancy 43 and Chateauroux 42. The message board of Chateauroux were already consigned to relegation.

However, within minutes the picture changed once more. A corner from the left in the 74th minute, was flicked on by Sanganté for Romain Basque to declare himself the saviour with a well guided header into the far corner. 3-2 Chateauroux! Elsewhere, Nancy then conceded a 78th minute equaliser and Dunkerque got a 78th minute lead against Le Mans. It was now Chateauroux 44 points, Le Mans 43 and Nancy 41.

To much jubilation, and despite Ndour still contriving to fail when it seemed impossible not tl score, the victory was secured.

Scores elsewhere remained which saw Nancy and Robinet, drop into the 'red zone' and Le Mans take the last secure spot, losing to Dunkerque who, under the manager Mathieu Chabert who Chateauroux had fired earlier in the season, took second spot with 62 points and promotion!

The league was won also on 62, by Concarneau who beat Berri's rivals US Orleans, with Red Star in 3rd on 60, having beaten already relegated Stade Briochin, leaving Martigues to think of what might have been, beating Versailles 4-3 but having lost 1 and drawn 2 of the previous 3 games when seemingly secure.

Still plenty of questions to be asked why this team failed to live up to it's budget. Now lots of players out of contract; I think only 6 or 7 are contracted for next season, so much work to do. They still await the French financial auditors to ok the accounts and to renew the pro status for next year.

La Berrichone de Chateauroux finish in 11th spot and look towards another tilt towards Ligue Deux next year. Hopefully you've enjoyed my coverage of the 2022/23 season as a distraction, so with the Prince selling up potentially...

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_132718.jpg
    IMG_20230528_132718.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom