United & Wednesday Call Joint Press Conference For Tomorrow Morning....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Worksop_Blade

Reaction score
9am according to Hallam FM News on Twittor. The big question what will it be for?

A. To call a seize fire in the long running dick measuring competition now that both clubs have realised they are both shite?

B. To announce the Plan to flog the grounds and build a Sheffield San Siro?

C. To announce a joint sponsorship deal with Gilders and Westfield?

D. To announce the dreaded merger!

E. To announce joint sponsorship deal

edit. or option C as above

"It's true, United did call us Pigs before we called them pigs."

The 2 league games will both kick off at 9am on Monday mornings (on police advice)

From the Yorkshire Post

Sheffield firms combine to put their shirts on both Blades and Owls

Published on Wednesday 13 July 2011 08:24

THEY may not want to share a stadium, and they struggle to accept anyone who crosses the city’s footballing divide, but Sheffield’s two professional clubs are about to be united in shirt sponsorship.

A major deal, worth a significant six-figure sum to both Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, is set to be announced in the next few days.

Westfield Health and the Gilders Group, two of the city’s biggest firms, are understood to have agreed deals which will see identical logos on both clubs’ shirts next season.

For some supporters, that will be a bitter pill to swallow.

However, the clubs reason it is a commercial opportunity that is too good to turn down.

The Blades and the Owls, who will renew hostilities in League One this season after a season apart, have never previously been sponsored by the same company.

It will not be a first for a dual-club city in British football as Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers have a joint three-year deal with Tennent’s after previously enjoying a partnership with fellow brewers Carling.

It will nevertheless mark a significant milestone in the history of Steel City football – which has been re-written already this summer by the Blades’ appointment of former Owls manager Danny Wilson.

Neither club was willing to comment on the impending deal last night and insiders stressed that other companies have also been in talks. Which logo will appear where has also to be confirmed.

A press conference to announce the deal is being planned, however, for later this week and will take place at a neutral venue, possibly the Crucible Theatre.

The Blades had been sponsored by the Maltese Tourism Authority for the last three years but that deal expired this summer.

The Owls, meanwhile, donated their shirt sponsorship to the Sheffield Children’s Hospital two years ago after failing to attract a major commercial partner.

Now, following a takeover last season by former Leicester City and Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric, the Owls are moving forward again.

Westfield Health, one of the UK’s leading health insurers, are based in Sheffield city centre and have previously sponsored the disabled areas at Bramall Lane and Hillsborough.

Motor group Gilders have several dealerships in and around South Yorkshire and Garry Scotting, who owns the company, was prepared to invest in the Owls last season during the club’s battle to stay out of adminstration.

Seems fair enough.

One sponsorship deal doesn't change the world overnight but I wonder if we could see other ventures within a few years such as joint ticketing systems that share the same technology and staff. Once you cut out the need to physically go to the ground to get a ticket then it would be pretty straight forward.

Joint training facilities, joint physio and medical back up, joint catering, joint events management?

Money is the key driver for football clubs, there's little or no room for sentiment and traditional rivalries when business decisions need to be made.

I think we all know the clubs will merge one day. It may or may not be in our lifetimes but there does seem a horrible inevitability about it and when it happens it actually won't seem a big deal as things will naturally evolve towards it unless football undergoes some massive changes.

No idea why Wendy will want to merge with a 4th or 5th rate side when they are flying high(er) in a few years - which they almost certainly will be. I think takeover might be the case.

The last 5 years have forever in my opinion ruined the relationship between SUFC and the fanbase. You've got a few clappers left but beyond that nowt, zero - nobody cares that much anymore - which I guess is partly what you are saying Tunsy.

PS - how come you have posted without mentioning that you should get in for £2.25 or somat like each game?

How very dull.

I feel as if I should care but I don't really.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Merger comes a step closer then. Get the sponsors the same, get the clubs as similar (fucked) as possible and then declare a merger is the only way forward.

If I ever choose to send my custom their way, I'll make a point of making it clear that I chose to do so thanks to the branding on a Blades shirt though. :)

Westfield Home / Gilders Away please commercial people

Attachments

• sponsors.jpg
    sponsors.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 234

No idea why Wendy will want to merge with a 4th or 5th rate side when they are flying high(er) in a few years - which they almost certainly will be. I think takeover might be the case.

The last 5 years have forever in my opinion ruined the relationship between SUFC and the fanbase. You've got a few clappers left but beyond that nowt, zero - nobody cares that much anymore - which I guess is partly what you are saying Tunsy.

PS - how come you have posted without mentioning that you should get in for £2.25 or somat like each game?

Because nobody ever listens to my words of wisdom!

Actually in years to come you'll see that the my ideas will be standard practice, it's just a question as to whether it will be too late to stop the rot by then.

If you ever want to know how far the club has moved from its fans then the merger question is a good one - a few years ago it would have caused a riot, in a few years from now we could alll be apathetically resigned to it, indeed a significant minority of fans from both clubs could well be calling for it.

I'm just glad, as shit as we've been, that I've had the last 35 years watching United, I fear for the next 35.

Merger comes a step closer then. Get the sponsors the same, get the clubs as similar (fucked) as possible and then declare a merger is the only way forward.

Funny thing is, a merger is the only way forward as far as sustained success goes (and I mean real success).....but here is the funny part.....it will never happen, even though most fans of both clubs know deep down its the only answer if they ever want their club to achieve anything worthwhile. There simply isnt quite enough apathy and contempt for either club for it to ever happen. Too many would object.

A merger will never be because both sets of fans are largely content, despite the fact they are forever grumbling and throwing abuse back at one another. They would both rather be rank average and forever peer over the fence at one another like gossiping neighbours for all eternity whilst the other big city clubs actually win things and look upon us as small clubs by comparison......never mind though, as long as we win that derby eh?!

This is about the third thing i broken this summer that has been ITK before anyone else!

I dont see what harm this does whatsoever, if its the one that brings the most cash in then get it done. Sod the sentiments and rivalry as far as this goes, more money = better budgets.

Agree. We're presumably not exactly overwhelmed with company's desperate to associate their brand with us anymore. If by doubling the potential customer base attracts sponsors in as a joint venture it's a half-a-loaf-better-than-no-bread-at-all scenario.

It has been done in a similar way by Rangers and Celtic, thus ensuring that both sets of sectarian fuckwits were either appeased or offended equally. This might be behind the thinking here, without the flimsy excuse of the religious bollocks.

Either way, it bother me not. I won't be joining Westfield or buying one of those Nazi staff cars any time soon.

At least the pre season tour next year will be in South Yorks instead of Malta - probably on a strip of tarmac somewhere in the city.
They can play tiddly winks with each other - set of feckin wasters

Westfield Home / Gilders Away please commercial people

I think it will be that way around because Gary Scotting, the top man at Gilders, is a fanatical pig (in the interests of fairness I should mention that he is also a a nice bloke - but a pig all the same) and I think he'll want them on their home shirts.

This is about the third thing i broken this summer that has been ITK before anyone else!

Was one of the other two about Elvis working at your local chippy?

Funny thing is, a merger is the only way forward as far as sustained success goes (and I mean real success).....but here is the funny part.....it will never happen, even though most fans of both clubs know deep down its the only answer if they ever want their club to achieve anything worthwhile. There simply isnt quite enough apathy and contempt for either club for it to ever happen. Too many would object.

A merger will never be because both sets of fans are largely content, despite the fact they are forever grumbling and throwing abuse back at one another. They would both rather be rank average and forever peer over the fence at one another like gossiping neighbours for all eternity whilst the other big city clubs actually win things and look upon us as small clubs by comparison......never mind though, as long as we win that derby eh?!

I'm guessing that if some investor turned around and said "merge and I'll pump £500m into the new club" you would see a radical change in opinion.

If I were a person looking to get into football on the cheap and get myself a massive exposure I know its the sort of thing I would look to be doing. Radical thinking, guaranteed media coverage and a figure big enough to make the petty bickering look ridiculous. Quick chat with the council about Don Valley and bobs your uncle. McCabe and Manderic would scuttle off into the distance and new owner would name the new stadium after himself. Possibly.

Its a million miles away right now, but it was a hundred million miles away 5 years ago.

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Agree. We're presumably not exactly overwhelmed with company's desperate to associate their brand with us anymore. If by doubling the potential customer base attracts sponsors in as a joint venture it's a half-a-loaf-better-than-no-bread-at-all scenario.

What if you don't care for bread?

If I were a person looking to get into football on the cheap and get myself a massive exposure I know its the sort of thing I would look to be doing. Radical thinking, guaranteed media coverage and a figure big enough to make the petty bickering look ridiculous. Quick chat with the council about Don Valley and bobs your uncle. McCabe and Manderic would scuttle off into the distance and new owner would name the new stadium after himself. Possibly

Understand what you're saying and accept that a significant amount of money will get anything done - especially when one chairman is only in it for the profit and the other is looking for a way out.

But a merged club playing out of Don Valley...? Personally that'd be it for me and probably a lot of other fans. It makes commercial sense on paper, but the whole point of a merger would be to get all the football fans in Sheffield behind a single club and the merger would alienate a large proportion of the fanbase of both clubs at a stroke.

What would the odds be (if a merger took place) that enough fans said "Bugger this, I'm off to watch Sheffield FC" and they actually became bigger than the merged club?

Understand what you're saying and accept that a significant amount of money will get anything done - especially when one chairman is only in it for the profit and the other is looking for a way out.

But a merged club playing out of Don Valley...? Personally that'd be it for me and probably a lot of other fans. It makes commercial sense on paper, but the whole point of a merger would be to get all the football fans in Sheffield behind a single club and the merger would alienate a large proportion of the fanbase of both clubs at a stroke.

What would the odds be (if a merger took place) that enough fans said "Bugger this, I'm off to watch Sheffield FC" and they actually became bigger than the merged club?

This argument just proves the point that Football Clubs cannot be run in the same way as any ORDINARY business. This is where many Club Chairmen/Owners (McCabe included) make their biggest mistake. Sentiment for the Club is a very powerful factor, but it will only go so far and once supporters believe they are having the piss taken out of them by the Club and that there is an alternative agenda (other than the best interests of the Club) they will vote with their feet. Supporters can be incredibly loyal and patient, but once they walk its notoriously difficult to get them to trust the Club again and come back.
McCabe and his puppet Board had the OPPORTUNITY to learn from the massive (no pun intended :D) mistakes that the Unclean's Board made for many years. We laughed at the lies and fabrications they sucked up and the way they were treated like mushrooms. The "Investment will happen soon" story caused many a split side on the football half of the city, whilst the Pigs slid down the greasy pole. Eventually the Pig fans reallised what idiots they had been and there was the inevitable backlash. Now wouldn't you have thought that a bunch of experienced businessmen, with some degree of common sense would have noticed this protracted saga being played out at swillsbrough and thought to themselves; "hmmmmm ......... we mustn't alienate our supporters like that EVER". Unfortunately, my argument falls down because I mentioned the words common sense ...........
UTB

Cheers for posting link Blade58.

A few questions for any willing to answer.

Is it the first in Britain though?

Don't Celtic and Rangers share the same sponsorship? Or is it the first because it's 2 companies sponsoring rival teams?

Back
Top Bottom