United - Party Of Five.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If any of our players score a deliberate own goal because of my error - I humbly apologise :(

No need. Just invite me to your soirée*. Where we can eat, drink, be merry, and have delightful misunderstandings on the terrace/patio/decking, in the back yard.

*Because non of the other miserable bastards on here have.

Or maybe because the notion is utter bollocks, but each to their own :)

No, The Save our Owls campaign did actually happen. And then didn't happen when we were facing the same predicament. And notice the wording that was used, not Save THE Owls but Save OUR Owls. If you want to pinpoint why there is a perception of bias, there is the reason. It might have been the mid 70s but we're like elephants, big arses and long memories.

No, The Save our Owls campaign did actually happen. And then didn't happen when we were facing the same predicament. And notice the wording that was used, not Save THE Owls but Save OUR Owls. If you want to pinpoint why there is a perception of bias, there is the reason. It might have been the mid 70s but we're like elephants, big arses and long memories.

I never denied it happened. Half a lifetime ago. Sins of the father and all that... :rolleyes:

I never denied it happened. Half a lifetime ago. Sins of the father and all that... :rolleyes:

Should have said you worked for Rupert Murdoch instead, you'd have got less stick ;)

I've only been reading the Star for the last few years, and I would not defend it against its limitations in many respects, but in that time, I have observed no bias in its reporting of United and Wednesday; in fact, the last 15 months have (quite rightly) been something of a United love-in. In the 70s I was a regular at the Lane, but because of work, family, etc., I don't remember looking at the Star at all. Things can surely change in 40 years? Has anybody got the time and inclination to explain to me and others what the Save our Owls campaign was, and which particular predicament of a similar nature at the Lane provoked a non-campaign?

I've only been reading the Star for the last few years, and I would not defend it against its limitations in many respects, but in that time, I have observed no bias in its reporting of United and Wednesday; in fact, the last 15 months have (quite rightly) been something of a United love-in. In the 70s I was a regular at the Lane, but because of work, family, etc., I don't remember looking at the Star at all. Things can surely change in 40 years? Has anybody got the time and inclination to explain to me and others what the Save our Owls campaign was, and which particular predicament of a similar nature at the Lane provoked a non-campaign?

They were struggling in the old division 3 and looked like they might drop into the basement division so the Star started the campaign. A few years later when we did drop into division 4, nowt.

A little pointer here, direct from the snout:

http://saveourowls.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-soo.html

They were struggling in the old division 3 and looked like they might drop into the basement division so the Star started the campaign. A few years later when we did drop into division 4, nowt.

Amazing it wasn't resurrected in 2010 when they were close to going out of business, don't you think, considering the Owls love?

I think you gave Les some column space though. Remember the "death threats"?

True, the chairman of a local football club getting death threats definitely isn't newsworthy. Don't know what happened there

No need. Just invite me to your soirée*. Where we can eat, drink, be merry, and have delightful misunderstandings on the terrace/patio/decking, in the back yard.

Oh poor Sean Thornton come to mine.

It was yesterday but I'm sure there'll still be someone around

;)

You got down to the last twenty with me....

Thanks for that. As that link really only uses the Star campaign as a point of reference for their problems in 2010, I tried a Google search for further information, and it seems the campaign in the 1970s created few waves, as that blog was the only reference to it that I found in 5 minutes searching.

I can't think of 5 people because I like you all.

So on that note, you're all invited down to The Happy Crab for Mystery Meat Night. Whoever indentifies the meat wins a free box of Immodium.
The mystery meat was "provided" by the last few people to dispute overdue payments to Crab Inc with big Vern. He can neither confirm nor deny that the individuals in questions mysteriously "disappeared" shortly after the conclusion of said "disputes."

Should I PM you my address for delivery of the immodium? Frankly I'd rather you delivered it in person, and quickly...my evening at the Happy Crab last night is about to repeat on me.

Current player - Ched (there's a guy who knows how to party)
Former Player - Jan Åge Fjørtoft (I always imagined he talked like the Swedish chef, I would not stop laughing if he did)
Manager - Adkin's. We could have cooked goose as a main course
S24 SU posters - SwissBlade (on the condition he brings his 50/50 collection, we need an interesting talking point)
Isaw Joeshaw on the condition he did a round robin of the butchers and brought the pork pies.
Nominated reserve 1 The Crab anyone so singularly obsessed with a fantasy corporation can do (imagine) the catering, transport and security.
Nominated reserve 2 Fanny magnet to see if he looks like his Avatar

So, like I'm deffo up for the role of pork pie supplier.

No worries, no worries , no worries ......

Should I PM you my address for delivery of the immodium?

FFS No!

Crab Industries are one of those 'helpful' companies that you really don't want to fall out with, but whatever you do, don't let Big Vern know where you live. Meet on some dark dodgy industrial estate by all means, but don't let him near your house. It's really not like Ocado or Tesco home delivery service.

He came to ours once and I was due a right 'talking to' but fortunately my mum was there. She plays bingo with Mrs Big Vern and he is old school, so he couldn't do anything. My mum now lives with us as a permanent deterrent. Dad is a bit bemused about being on his own, but I give him the odd Crab Inc energy pill and that knocks him out for days.

I'd suggest buy your immodium from Boots but walls have ears and all that, so it wouldn't go down well on here.

Manager - CW because I wouldn't be able to resist telling the rest that they were either fucking useless or asking the others why they started so well then fucked up so badly.

Ex player - Keith Edwards, because he's a hero and I sat next to him once before at a dinner and he was great company.

Current player - Jake Wright, because he's the only centre half at the Lane in my lifetime whose reading of the game and positional sense comes anywhere near that of Joe Shaw and Paul McGrath, albeit the latter only did it for a dozen games or so.

Members - Silent, so that he can fill in all the blanks which inevitably occur with the passage of time and Tyler, so that I can establish wether he is really as attractive as his avatar suggests.

However, since the latter would obviously be thrown out before the starters had even been served, I would have Hodgy on standby so that we could discuss such important matters as sweet rationing and rickets.

The mystery meat was "provided" by the last few people to dispute overdue payments to Crab Inc with big Vern. He can neither confirm nor deny that the individuals in questions mysteriously "disappeared" shortly after the conclusion of said "disputes."

Should I PM you my address for delivery of the immodium? Frankly I'd rather you delivered it in person, and quickly...my evening at the Happy Crab last night is about to repeat on me.

Rest assured, they were dispatched in an environmentally friendly way (there are certain areas of Sherwood Forest you might want to avoid until the smell disappears a bit)

I'm a little busy doing the accounts a la Scrooge McDuck this weekend, Vern says he'll pop round (he says milk, 3 sugars and some biscuits would be nice). Oh, and you might want to leave a space a Jumbo jet could land in, Vern has a rather casual attitude to where and how he parks the Discovery.

FFS No!

Crab Industries are one of those 'helpful' companies that you really don't want to fall out with, but whatever you do, don't let Big Vern know where you live. Meet on some dark dodgy industrial estate by all means, but don't let him near your house. It's really not like Ocado or Tesco home delivery service.

He came to ours once and I was due a right 'talking to' but fortunately my mum was there. She plays bingo with Mrs Big Vern and he is old school, so he couldn't do anything. My mum now lives with us as a permanent deterrent. Dad is a bit bemused about being on his own, but I give him the odd Crab Inc energy pill and that knocks him out for days.

I'd suggest buy your immodium from Boots but walls have ears and all that, so it wouldn't go down well on here.

It's true to say that underneath the violent malevolence, Vern does have traditional old school values.

Erm..........yeah.........about those pills. Don't give him too many will you. If you can get hold of the hubble telescope to read that bit of paper that always comes with tablets, you will understand why. What I can do is give you some discount with Crab Care (a division of Crab Industries). Nicki's at a loose end this weekend so I'll send her round. Please don't tell your Mum though, if she tells Vern it could get messy.

Buy from Boots? Buy from fucking Boots???? How the fuckety fuck is a local global giant like mine ever going to progress if you recommend going to somewhere that actually knows what it is doing?

As godfather to one of his daughters I can answer that
What, the bit about did it affect his life?

I’m guessing it did to a certain extent, career wise at least.

Btw I’m not trying to have a go at him, I’d be genuinely interested to hear what he has to say about that day. That one miss is the reason his name is remembered in these parts, career defining.

Back
Top Bottom