United 2 Everton 2 - report/ratings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Let’s face it, JLT and Egan do not have the necessary skill on the ball to be playing out from the back with any measure of confidence. They are not of the standard required, yet they so often pass, get it back immediately from Norwood, and end up sending it straight back to Wes…

Great write up. Agree Everton were better in general play, but oddly I think we had the better chances (not just the one at the end). We were very close to snatching a late point last week through Anel and all the points with the final moment of this one. It shows we can compete. My very brief takeaways:

1. If that's an indication of what's to come from a McBurnie Archer partnership I am happy. I still hold hope Brewster can then be the impact sub.
2. Impressed with Thomas and hope him, Trusty and Macca transform our left side weakness into a strength.
3. Two big weeks to get the new lads properly integrated. Hopefully there are a couple of behind closed doors games lined up.

Let’s face it, JLT and Egan do not have the necessary skill on the ball to be playing out from the back with any measure of confidence. They are not of the standard required, yet they so often pass, get it back immediately from Norwood, and end up sending it straight back to Wes…
No idea why they do this , just a waste of time & effort

We can't afford to buy the level of technical skill possessed by all our opponents in the PL , but we ought to be able to get closer to their level of fitness - we looked knackered trying to keep up today whilst they cruised quickly straight through us.
Looking at what Spurs did to Burnley today , some cardiovascular work is probably a good idea.

The snippets I caught in France were talking a fee of €10-12m. We are really poor at managing the message in terms of fees making it into the public realm (cf Mousser at £10m when in reality it was £4-5m; Ramsdale at £18.5m when we paid £12.6m).
FWIW I'd estimate...
Souza €8m rising to €12m
Hamer £10m rising to £15m
Traoré £3.5m rising to £5m

Sales...
Ndiaye £20m rising to £25m
Berge £15m rising to £18m
There is probably some truth in the purchase and PA has made no secret of being happy to have people think we have no money.

For the sales they would be great figures. Transfermarkt has them as far less. I was thinking if you changed the £ to a € then they would be close to what I'd understood.

Found myself agreeing with everything you wrote Deadbat. There are so few games where we can expect to get something this season and 3 of them have gone with 1 point gained. A lot of criticism about tactics but holding city to 1-2 is way better than most have / will manage so gives hope for defensive solidity with the first signs of attacking flair emerging in our 4th game. It’s going to be tremendously difficult to stay up but there are reasonable signs we can stay in the fight for 17th Keeping the flame of hope alive. But the David v Goliath act comparing resources will only work up to a point when the odds are so stacked against us. Well done Lads yesterday and UTMB.

Spot on review, what’s worrying for me is how good Palace and Everton actually are, quicker, movement off the ball, midfield running with the ball, pass and move etc
At the moment hard to see where a win will come from, the gulf in class to the Championship definitely appears to have widened in recent years

Absolutely spot on report Deadbat .
I’m hoping that as our players hopefully get fitter and get more minutes they’ll perform better and we’ll be more competitive. The goals conceded from set pieces is not like us and hopefully as players get more accustomed to their roles, this will get better.
Hecky said just before the season started that we were miles off. It’s just a pity we’ve already played 3 of the teams we should be looking to get points from. The next 5 or 6 games are a daunting prospect.

I think you’ll find quite a few are if you see other threads
Yeah watched it back and Baldock is sleeping on both. I'd probably knock a mark off on reflection.

I still maintain though that despite the deserved questioning of the defence, the ball is simply in our third too much.

Souza is neat and tidy and can make the odd tackle but lacks the athleticism/pace we are still missing to plug those midfield gaps. Hope gets fitter but a worry that teams are going through this area too much. Despite people feeling Hamer is more box to box, I'm not sure of this. He looks more of an attacking midfielder who can do some defensive stuff. People are crying out for Souza/Hamer/McAtee but I think we would be horribly exposed defensively if we went with this.

I'm hoping Davies can give us those legs in the middle and plug the space every other team seems to be exploiting.

It seems every Premier League team has at least 1 or 2 6 ft+ giants who can run and are good with the ball in the middle of the park.

I have seen a lot of fuss about Souza but in the two games I've seen he has been anonymous for long spells. I expected him to be more athletic and win more 50/50 balls? As I say maybe he will get fitter and improve.

We have to stop the ball getting to our final third so easily. Everton got almost one on one three times from min 45-50. That should not happen.

Great report and I agree with a lot of it.

Think it's worth saying that no midfield we can put out or set up is going to approach the quality of what Everton have in those positions:

Doucoure, entering his eighth season of Premier League football, has over 200 PL appearances.

Gueye, seventh season in the PL (plus three at PSG), over 150 PL appearances

Onana, cost them something like 35m, a highly-rated prospect in European football. He's also 6'4" tall.

Any of those three would instantly be our best player by a wide margin. Everton's problem is the toxic atmosphere at the the club and in defence, where I agree with you that Tarky isn't very good. And their other problem was lack of goals and a focal point but they may have sorted that by signing Beto.

JLT has one occasion every game where he takes too long with his pass and gets dispossessed

Well, I’m feeling positive, after an enjoyable contest.

Why? Because my big fear was another 2020-21. A long death march where you knew week after week that we were likely not going to score and the game was over as soon as the opposition did. We had 5 or 6 regulars in season long wretched form.

Now? Yes, a couple of the new signings do not look to be good enough. The 3 CBs are not doing as well as they should be so far. Everyone else has bigger and stronger and fitter players. We only have one point…

And yet we have a chance where the team of 3 years ago had none. Hamer creates. Archer has started where he left off last season and looked right at home. McBurnie, very good again, has played more good games this season than in the whole of 2020-1. Souza has his moments. Thomas looked a lot more assured than anyone else we’ve tried there. And Wes is doing really well.

We are competitive in games. We have a chance. We are not going to break record low point and goal totals. And we might surprise a few sides after the international break.

Maybe it's on the club then...we've signed him and Davies and neither are fully fit.

We cant wait till November till everyone is up to the speed of this league. It will be too late
Well, I agree. But that's a separate debate.

Souza is doing pretty well to say he's clearly not match fit yet (through no fault of his own). Hopefully he'll have a mini pre-season during the international break.

Why is nobody asking why George went walkabout for their 2nd?
I said at half time GB is carrying an injury
and GB played very much within himself until the hour mark
for their second goal i think 3 of the back 5 were suffering from knocks

I think its a shame we didnt get Tommy Doyle as much as he is great at passing -when we are under pressure he lacks the ability/pace/strength to cover the opposition breaks

Agree for the most part. Do wish people would stop bringing up Evan Ferguson in relation to Traore and Osula - that kid is in the Wayne Rooney mould of physical and technical development for his age - our lads are nowehere near that for good reason, it not normal.

Back
Top Bottom