United 2 Everton 2 - report/ratings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades finally got a point on the board in an exciting scoring draw at Bramall Lane in the early Saturday kick off. United trailed for the fourth consecutive league game but were able to level and lead thanks to two fantastic contributions from league debutant Cameron Archer. The Blades could not keep the lead and were pegged back early in the second half. After this it could have gone either way but the home side had the best chance to win it when McBurnie was denied by a combination of Pickford (twice), the post and the bar in a breathless finish where United were so close to a late, late winner.

Manager Heckingbottom went with the McBurnie and Archer front line and left new signing Thomas on the bench with Larouci making his first league start. Latest signing James McAtee was introduced to the crowd but was not registered in time to play. Everton started with new signing Beto at the top of the field after his debut goal at Doncaster.

The Blades started slowly and Everton were moving it around and dominating the ball but unable to create much but Beto’s strength was causing problems for Egan in the United rearguard. Doucoure and Gueye were seeing a lot of the ball in the middle of the park and it was the away side looking the more likely to create but after Hamer sprang down the right, he invited the challenge from Branthwaite who was booked for the lunge. Egan got on the end of the free kick but his header lacked was saved from Pickford. Hamer then did well again and found Archer but Tarkowski managed to make the tackle sending it behind for a corner. Everton were looking to move through the third quickly but were using the strength of Beto and runners off him.

On 14 minutes, Everton took the lead and from the Blades point of view, it was another poor goal to concede. The corner came over and Robinson managed to get a block in, the ball came back in and Onana rose unchallenged to head down. Foderingham made the save but no United player reacted and DOUCOURE poked home. United asked for offside but it was clear that the goal would stand as United once again failed to stop the cross, win the header and react to the follow up.

Everton were now in confident mood after scoring their first Premier League goal of the season and were getting through the United midfield too easily. Norwood lost the ball and Egan again was turned too easily leading to a chance for Danjuma but his shot was blocked. Larouci was well forward at the other end but his shot was tame and straight at the keeper. United did have a good effort as Baldock fed Hamer whose shot was pushed away by Pickford.

Everton had another opportunity but Beto was blocked after turning Egan and Ahmedhodzic once again. However, out of nothing United were level and it was a good move and finish. Hamer sent the ball into the box, McBurnie held the ball up well and set ARCHER who hit a superb first-time finish right into the far corner as Pickford was motionless. The new signing ran over to celebrate mocking firing an archery bow into John Street as United were back on level terms.

Everton tried to respond and Danjuma was nearly in but Foderingham smothered well and made the save. Beto then got the better of Egan again but the ball squirmed free stopping any opportunity for the visitors. They had probably shaded the first half but had been pegged back and then in stoppage time, they fell behind. It was an innocuous ball forward but Hamer did superbly to hook the ball over his head into the path of Archer and the striker came inside and hit a tremendous curling shot which bounced off PICKFORD’s post and back off the keeper’s shoulder and into his own net. United were a touch fortunate to lead but the new man had made an instant impact with direct involvement in both goals as the Blades went in leading at half time.

Everton came out in determined fashion in the second half and withing 30 seconds could have been level as Beto got down the left channel on Robinson but his finish was wayward. United did not heed the warning and Danjuma was dragged down clumsily by Ahmedhodzic, just before he advanced into the box. The yellow card came out but it was deemed to be just outside the box. The free kick went into the wall.

United had not get going at all second half and the visitors were piling on the pressure. It was no surprise when they got level. United three times tried to stop the attack by illegal means as the ball was moved from centre to the right too easily and then Patterson sent over a cross with once again no pressure and when it came over DANJUMA was not picked up at all finished in routine fashion at the far post. The goal was a basic move and once again another cross and finish in the box that happened too easily.

The home side tried to respond and Baldock fed Larouci but he blazed over before Everton came again in waves and had two or three attacks held up at the last moment as United looked at full stretch. Larouci had been caught in an earlier challenge and was replaced by newcomer Thomas. Egan had picked up a knock in the first half and had tried to carry on but it was felt he was struggling too much and Basham came in with Ahmedhodzic moving inside. Thomas had an effort at Pickford at the back post and then there was an effort blocked from Danjuma at the other end. It was a finely balanced game with Everton looking the smoother of the two sides in transition with pace and power but United with McBurnie a focal point, were by no means out of it.

Doucoure was carded for a foul on Baldock after a series of meaty challenges from both side and Dyche was frustrated by the final decision. The free kick was headed away before Archer came off for Traore and McNeil came on for Garner. Ahmedhodzic twice stepped up to make the last-ditch tackle before McBurnie’s clever play made space for Traore who twice was outmuscled. United improved in the final stages. Basham made a timely interception and this helped United get up the field as six minutes of additional time were shown. At this stage both sides felt they could win it but United had the opportunities in this extra time. Robinson’s long throw was headed away before the home team won a late corner in the 98th minute after Tarkowski had gone down for treatment prior to this. The corner came in and McBurnie won it, heading the ball down into the turf but Pickford made a tremendous save pushing it onto the bar. The ball bounced down and McBurnie toed it goalwards again but the ball bounced off Pickford and onto the post and somehow the England keeper dived onto the loose ball. It was a remarkable double save and denied United three points. In truth it would have been harsh on the visitors who had been marginally the better side over the course of the contest but United had competed well and at least were off the mark for the season.

United – It is a point and at least we are on the board. I do think we would have been very fortunate to take all three (I know that sounds weird when we hit the bar/post and Pickford made a great double save). In general play I thought they were a bit better than us and had more of the ball and looked the more composed but we scored two good goals and could have had a few more. At the death we are so close to winning it. I do think Everton controlled a lot of the play and possession and that they would have been devastated to have trailed at half time as they had most of the play first half but then that is football and they were undone by poor defending and good play by us. We did really well to come back and get the lead but then second half (like the City game last week) we just completely sat back in the second half and to be honest they had 2 or 3 chances before they did finally get level. We did not get hold of the ball and were picked up and ran through too often. After it went 2-2, I feared the worse. They looked technically better, quicker, and stronger in many areas and thought we would do well not to lose. They did look most likely but oddly after the changes and Thomas came on and Anel went central, we were better and ended the game stronger. They kind of run out of steam and we had 2 or 3 half chances and then the big moment at the end. Ultimately I still think they were probably the slightly better side despite the late miss. It seemed a lot harder for us to create a chance or get in their third, than it did for them when one pass or two passed and they were through us.

A lot will be made of the defence and two goals came from crosses and inability to stop the ball coming in combined with poor marking and reactions. I agree that this is a major issue and we have conceded too many goals the same. The first no one reacted at all and then the second we tried desperately to foul but they picked us off with 3 or 4 passes and an easy cross and goal. It was way too easy and they could have had a few before this. It was annoying as we had conceded much of the possession first half but an excellent goal, well made and taken was followed up with another well finished goal. Archer showed why we signed him with two moments of real quality, helped by good play from McBurnie and Harmer. I did think we were a touch lucky to lead at half time as Everton had been the better team. It really disappointed me we never got going though and sat back after the break. I am worried about our midfield as like last time at this level we just seem to be physically overmatched and the pace and athleticism of teams seems too much for us? Norwood struggled with the pace and Souza also seemed to be struggling to keep up. Hamer worked hard but does not really do the defensive stuff much and those saying it has to be Souza, Hamer and McAtee may see a shock as we may be even more over matched in this area. I just felt it looked a lot like last time we were up there when teams just ran through too easily. When it got to the last third, the centre backs struggled with the physicality of some big lads. Egan in particular got a bit of a going over I felt and for the fourth game running, lost his battle and could not get tight enough to his man. He got an injury but even before that he just never got to grips with his man. Ahmedhodzic also struggled but he did improve when he went central.

Attacking wise, I felt McBurnie and Archer linked well and both looked a threat with Hamer playing well off the both of them but we effectively had three forward players as even though Baldock/Larouci and Thomas got forward a bit, we had no real help. Souza does a lot of the defensive stuff quite well but is not going to get forward very much and Norwood cannot really run at all so is mostly static. I think we still need legs in there and not sure McAtee coming in answers it even if Hamer plays further back. Maybe Davies can give us some legs? I just worry teams run off us and through us. I thought we played some pockets of good play attacking wise and did create bits and pieces but seems a lot header for us to create/get in the final third than other teams where it seems easier to move it forward and get past us? The lack of attacking options from us in reserve showed today as after Archer went off, it was a struggle and we relied on McBurnie too much.

I think we did show some good parts today and at times moved it nicely but once again, a relatively poor side (like Palace), controlled long spells of the game and looked like they could get through us too easily. I recall last time we got up, it seemed easier than I thought at this level and we competed and were winning a lot of the battles but I am not sure we have this time around? I think a lot of loose balls/headers and 50-50’s, the other side have come out on top and that is a worry when the opposition in most cases are technically better. I do not know whether this level had just improved again a few years from when we were last there, but it seems every side seems to be bigger, stronger and fitter than what I recall last time (granted we had a year with covid we were not attending)? We seemed to be blowing and at full stretch a fair bit in the game and even subs like Traore could not get to the pace.

I think we need to do the basics (winning the battle/header/loose stuff) and stopping crosses/headers if we are to have any chance. We have conceded goals in the most basic form really so far. The other way we have scored some good goals but do not score in the same way and it seems a struggle to create. I am maybe being too pessimistic for a 2-2 we could have even won but I do feel in general play that every team has looked superior in terms of athleticism, pace and power- that allied to having better technical players shows what a task it will be. Today we got a draw and I felt we did well to gain the point so it is a worry, as we have played 3/4 teams that will be in bottom 6 or 7 you feel? I The fact that I was kind of relieved to get a draw sums it up – it just concerns me where the wins/points are coming from? It was an exciting game and we contributed but not sure we had any control of the game or really looked like winning it. We need to look after the ball better, win the physical stuff and cut out stupid mistakes – if we cannot do this, then we are going to be struggling to put many points on the board.

Still, the positives are two goals (well one and a half) for Archer, McBurnie was excellent, Hamer had a good first half, Souza did a few ok bits and I felt Anel was excellent when in the middle. Larouci was better than last week and Thomas did ok when he came on. Also, McAtee to come in. I still see big issues (in terms of midfield coverage and striking options – allied to the defensive mistakes) but at least we showed today we can score goals.

We have a break and hopefully we can get some of the players up to fitness as today so many looked out on their feet too early in the game but it will be touch the next game at Spurs but maybe we might be better when we have to play on the break as today I thought we played more like the away team at times which was hard with the expectation to attack versus another poor side?

Ratings:

Foderingham 6.5/10 – Not sure he had much chance on either goal. The first goal he makes the save but not sure I can blame him at all. The defence did not react. The second the ball just comes across and he is left exposed. Not sure he made many other saves – one smothered from Danjuma first half and free kick from Young was it second half. Handling was ok. His kicking was poor.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Thought that he was ok at times but then switched off a bit and they had some attacks down his side. Did get in a few areas down the right but often there was a breakdown in communication in terms of setting up. He kept plugging away and second half involved in the one that led to the booking down the right side. He did get beat down the side on one occasion where it flashed across the box.

Larouci 6/10 – He started slowly again and made a few mistakes but then grew into it and had a run and shot and did the basics (just kicked it out). He struggled positional sense wise but he did put a lot of effort in. They got the cross in for the second goal but a number of players were not switched on. Had another poor shot over and then got injured after he was felled.

Robinson 6.5/10 – Thought this was poorest he has been in that there were a few poor clearances or moments he did not quite clear it. He did get his foot in a few times and made some blocks at least but I thought we struggled down the middle today in terms of them getting too many chances – like the 2nd half right at the start when they just ran through and nearly scored. He always seemed to be at full stretch today but did end the game better.

Ahmedhodzic 7/10 – First half maybe a 5/10 as they outmuscled us and turned us so many times. They were physically imposing themselves on our back line and we did not get their first but he did improve. Second half thought he was excellent, after the booking at least which was clumsy and nearly a penalty. When Egan went off, he went into the middle and was much better as he took control, read the game better and made a few superb tackles/interceptions. There is an argument he does play much better here.

Egan 5/10 – He has had a poor season so far. Not sure he has come out on top in any battle and today the lad Beto just kept moving him around and turned him several times. He was physically overmatched and he just seemed unable to stop the striker exerting himself. He was often guilty of ball watching too. He was slow again on the goal and he (and others) guilty of ball watching on the second. Pulled up with an injury and tried to carry on but we looked much better when he went off. He needs to wake up as been woefully off the pace so far and we need more from our captain and one of the player we thought would be fine at this level.

Norwood 6/10 – Mixed bag. Some decent pockets of play when he kept it simple and some ok balls forward. A few decent set plays but too often he was slow to react to things and they nicked it off his toe. He simply cannot run with it and the limits of his play seems to be to get it and just pass it within 5 seconds. He had to calm it down more as he is meant to be one of the experienced players. He seemed to get rattled or taken out of it too easily. He was the furthest back of the three but too often the opponents just ran through and we looked at full stretch or could not keep up with the pace/mobility. It was the same last time we were at this level. We looked all over the place in midfield for long spells – there was no distinguishable shape at all and we did not have a clear structure meaning Everton could just get through too easily. I am not sure what we do in that area but we have to be a little more solid and harder to get through but equally have to keep the ball better.

Souza 6/10 – He did some good things at times with a foot in and tackle and simple pass and you think yes he is functional player who does a bit of everything. However, he got ran off too much today and the midfield were too far apart. He also is way off it fitness wise. He was getting run past from half an hour in. He kept plugging away and again does some neat and tidy stuff but for 15 million was it – I actually expect a bit more than someone who wins the odd tackle/plays a square ball – maybe that is what you get for that price these days. As I say he has been ok in his first three games but we have lost midfield every game and have ceded possession every game (City I expect). We have to have more of the ball and if it not Norwood or him winning it or keeping control more, then how do we keep more of it? Maybe I am being harsh and every team just has better players but it was startling again today (like with Palace) how much fitter, quicker and athletic the midfielders the opponents had. As I say he was ok, but we were at home against one of the other poorer sides at this level and Everton just controlled big spells in the centre of the park so either he needs to get fitter or we need to have another player who can get about more. We seemed to be chasing shadows in this area almost every week?

Hamer 7/10 – He was very good first half with limited time on the ball. He ended up being wide left a lot and not as involved but then came inside and had more of it. He had a shot saved, then made the first and the second. He was very good in the final 20 minutes of the half and showed his technical ability. I do think he faded after the break and not sure he saw much of it at all and another who seemed like the pace/physicality was too much (as I say our players seemed absolutely knackered too early on). He needs to get fitter so he can contribute as games go on. He is playing just behind the strikers but he may have to drop back more as we are not seeing enough of the ball in this area. He was involved in the big moments in the game we had in that first half though and has some excellent ability on the football.

Archer 7.5/10 – He was always looking a threat and linked well with McBurnie, particularly first half. He had one chance blocked off early on after Hamer played him in and must another shot blocked. Quick and alert, he plays on the last shoulder. The goal he scored was a superb finish and then he added to it with a brilliant curled finish that was unlucky not to go in before it even did go in! After the break he had little of it as they dominated for 15 minutes. I would have left him on as we offered nothing when Traore came on but maybe he was tiring. To be fair he did not have much impact after the break but Traore offered nothing when he came on. A good debut.

McBurnie 8/10 – My man of the match. Led the line superbly and was a constant threat. The ball always stuck to him, he played others in and set up Archer superbly. He gave a very intelligent centre forward play and thought he did not really do much wrong. They fouled him a lot and tried to unsettle him but he played very maturely and linked well with Archer and Hamer. He kept the ball better than anyone for us and really deserved a goal and so unlucky at the end with the header and then the poked finish. Really good and showed some of those behind him what is needed at this level for us to have a chance.

Subs –

Thomas 7/10 – Did well. I am not sure Larouci was poor today and did some ok things but his awareness and reaction speed is lacking and we saw Thomas instantly in on the action, getting his toe in and moving forward. Had a shot saved and looked well up for it. Good debut. Think he will start next game.

Basham 7/10 – Thought he did well. One sliced clearance and foul apart, he stuck to his task and they had less time on the ball in this area, when he came on and Anel moved inside. Kept it simple but no problems at all with how he defended and ensure they had no time on the ball.

Traore 4/10 – Real struggle and looked out of his depth sadly. His mark may seem harsh but as in the week v Lincoln when he came on, he offered nothing at all. He showed some flashes v Palace/Forest and thought he would improve but he has regressed in the last few weeks of performances. I thought it would be ideal with him having pace and running at some slow-ish defenders but three times he had this opportunity and either through lack of strength or body control, just gifted it to them. He looked knackered only 5 minutes after he came on as they had easy out balls as he did not press. After Archer came off, McBurnie was on his own up front. Looked way off the level required for the top flight today and may need some u23 games for a period – worrying we have no one else as striking options except him and Osula who are not ready for this level where the pace/physicality is a notch up from u23/Swedish football. I know they are young but look at Evan Ferguson at 18 who had scored a hat trick tonight -these lads are 20 – so at the age they need to kick on really. It just all looked a much for him and looked like a kid in men’s football. We really needed another striking option with experience as we are badly undermanned in this area.

Manager: Heckingbottom 6.5/10 – It was ok in parts and we got a draw but I did feel we never had total control of the game at any stage. Everton started better and scored but then we got back into it and took the lead but the second half performance we were so slow and did not get to grips at all with them. It was almost like we were waiting to be pegged back. I wanted us to start that second half, having got a lead, maybe a bit fortunately and get hold of the ball/midfield but it never happened. The 3 we play in midfield is not really working in terms of us just not having the ball. We might plug McAtee in there but the issue will remain as we get passed through and do not win those battles in there. Souza has shown some bits and Hamer is decent on the ball but we just give up possession time after time cheaply and then lack the physical ingredients/pace to get back in and recover it. Without the mobility/size all over the field, we invite pressure but the basics of stopping crosses and winning headers has been a real issue. We are conceded 2 a game and means it is an uphill task just due to such poor defending. I am surprised we have not been busier and won more 50-50’s but then you step back and look at the personnel and compare to opponents and realise nearly every team are stronger, quicker and more mobile so that is why they run through us? Can we tactically nullify this when we do not have the player – not sure? I would play Davies in there and even consider going to a 4 at the back giving us an extra man in midfield – maybe play Davies and Souza ahead of Hamer and McAtee? We just are not seeing enough of the ball and means teams are dominating possession and having more chances. Maybe I am being harsh and it’s not his fault but I thought today against a so-called poorer side many was saying was a must win, you take away that McBurnie chance and it was a hard-fought point we did well to get.

I am still concerned we do not have a clear way of playing tactically. We seem to play a lot of balls long and rarely go through the thirds, if you like. When we did play football (first goal) we look ok but we seem to be a bit hot potato and I worry we do not trust ourselves to keep the ball and defensively we are too deep as we are concerned about pace. I know a lot have criticised us saying we are quite direct and ale house (dirty) but it is hard to argue as despite one really good goal, lot of our chances seem to come off scraps. We have no sustained possession nor sustained pressure on opponents and are mostly playing on the break or hoping for things to drop. I am not sure what the plan is – maybe that is it but against Everton today we played like the way side for long spells? As I say we seem overmanned so much in midfield – I thought Everton (and every other side we have played) had an extra man? That is why we might need to look at the formation. We are just inviting pressure.

We need to get the team that started today much fitter and sharper – we have to win more 50-50 balls and we have to stop the supply line into the forwards. We have a break now and can regroup but it will be tough as the next two are v Spurs and Man Utd. You are looking at these and saying if we get one point we have done well. That is the problem – even if we did that we would have 2 points from 18 and be bottom three. It’s just hard to see which teams we are better than or can beat but that would have been the case even before the Ndiaye sale and all the late business we had to do. I just think the league has got so much better.

Everton – For long spells they controlled the game and would have been gutted to trail at the break but they gave away two poor goals. I thought if we went at them and turned them around (not long balls but down the channels) we would have caused more problems. They looked square and static at the back and when we did attack we caused problems. They did have a lot of the ball in the middle of the field and I thought at times overpowered us and actually after leading could have got another but then they are behind and showed their frailties. After the half time they reacted really well and deserved to be level and thought they may go on and win. They had a good spell and we sort of hung in there but then the last 10-15 minutes, I think United maybe shaded it and perhaps both teams were nervous having no points on the board.

Their tactics were very much get it to Beto and he held it up and others got round him but they did have pace and power. They have midfielders and forward who are quick, strong and mobile and at times thought they got through us way too easily but then the other way they gave away chances too easy. At the end they were lucky as lost a header and are inches away from losing the game. They clearly are vulnerable defensively but have enough I feel in the strength and power of midfield and the new lads Beto and Danzuma to maybe pull away from the bottom. They certainly have more depth than the relegated sides and have some management experience that I think will see them maybe just move away from us, Burnley and Luton. Today, they were better than I thought they would be in general play and shaded it for spells but then also showed some real weaknesses and in the end could have lost.

Opponent Man of the Match – Beto was a threat and rolled Egan a few times but I thought the midfield lads-controlled things – Gueye was competitive and moved it on and Onana was tidy but Doucoure was exceptional. He scored and was always an outlet and got on the ball. Souza is a decent signing but Everton – a side right down with us have player like Doucoure who is fitter, stronger, and better on the ball and that shows what we are up against really as much as we laud the likes of Hamer and Souza as smart signings (they are), Everton have 3 or 4 midfielders as good or better as much as we think they are a poor side. Pickford of course made a great save at the end to help get them a point.

Opponent Weak link – I thought both centre backs, Tarksowski and Branthwaite were susceptible and looked slow and easy to turn. Like with Egan and some of our back line, our front line caused them too many problems. The young lad is in as Keane struggle but he today really struggled with McBurnie.

Referee/Officials – Andy Madley. Better than the joker last week but that was not hard. Some odd decisions still but he was more consistent than the previous idiot we saw and if anything he maybe favoured us to them. I actually thought the two Everton yellows were harsh – the Hamer one was a foul but a yellow? The one second half there were shoves from a number of players and then he decided Doucoure pushed Baldock over but he had let a lot go in the few seconds before this so could understand Dyche’s frustration. Ahmedhodzic was an easy yellow and quite cynical and lucky it did not happen a few yards further forward. On the second goal, we did try and foul them numerous times so Everton will say justice is done! The rest of the game a few fussy ones both ways but not sure there was anything where I was thinking that is abysmal. I thought we had one good call for a penalty but then our players did not react much (the handball 2nd half). If we had scored, I would have been fuming as despite the delay for Tarksowki, he played nearly 3 minutes extra!

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Another pretty much sold out Bramall Lane and the crowd kept behind the team even though we were perhaps struggling to get the ball for spells. The goal of course sent the noise up and we sensed a victory but I thought the team never got going second half and it became a bit of a slug. The fans kept with the side and of course at the end nearly got the dream finish. I think we can all see we are doing our best but it does look hard work against footballers who just seem a bit better in most areas – again maybe this is a pessimistic take and you can argue a draw was about right in some ways but I feel we look a bit like a cup team at home playing on the break – that is why the last 10 minutes I was pleased as took more of an initiative. Everton got behind their side but seemed a bit frustrated at times by a mixed display from them where they ought to have won but then could have lost.

Really good read that one, Deadbat, appreciated. I’m always glass half full and feel you are often glass half empty and it’s good to read that ever so slight, but important, opposing take to my own. You’ve given me food for thought today, as I’m struggling to fathom what our best formation and line-up is with McAtee included, I think because of the points you raise about the midfield weaknesses. Who does he replace in there without making those weaknesses worse?!

Your back 4 option definitely has strong merit for certain games where we want to have more possession. Hmmmmm.

Good work.

Totally agree about the midfield area, we seem to be a way short of being composed and competitive at this level so far unfortunately. Whilst some good bits from them here and there, there was also lots of sloppy play. Must work harder on ball retention and controlling the game. Mcatee will hopefully help improve this slightly and help link midfield and attack better.

Personally I’d have marked Robinson and Larouci at least 1 mark less, maybe more. I’d also be tempted to raise archer and mcburnie’s totals too, don’t think there was 1/2 points difference in the performance of those pairs. Archer getting 1.5 goals and really stretching the play offered something we haven’t seen yet and gave us a different dimension, whereas McBurnie, if anything, got better once archer went off and took responsibility for our front line.

Our left side was a disaster waiting to be exposed time and again. Robison twice gave away the ball in real dangerous areas and I swear Larouci must have ADHD such is his complete lack of focus and awareness of where he needs to be and who is around him. Looked much better when Thomas came on.

Epic write up there DB and agree with all of it.
Was an enjoyable game and there were some positives but a few too many negatives.
Like you point out we’re often outmuscled.
There’s some big strong athletic fkrs in this league and we don’t have enough of them.
Their second goal illustrates it perfectly when we just couldn’t get the ball back.
We look awfully error prone. Constantly gave the ball away in dangerous spots. Most teams will kill us for that. Really hoping this is because the team is still gelling and we will improve.
Agree we looked better when Egan and Larouci went off. This Thomas lad looked excellent. Larouci scares the hell out of me.
Egan is just struggling to contain these top class forwards.
Those Archer goals were brilliant though.
I’ve been waiting decades for us to score with the ball coming back off the keeper since it happened to Alan Hodgkinson at Wolves when I was a lad…lol

The criticism of Souza's fitness seems harsh to the extreme. He didn't have a pre-season of any kind and was training on his own before we signed him. He's still not at peak match fitness but what can he do about that? Other players have had 7-8 matches this season including pre-season - Souza has had 3.

Compare him to Davies, who still isn't fit enough to even make the bench.

The criticism of Souza's fitness seems harsh to the extreme. He didn't have a pre-season of any kind and was training on his own before we signed him. He's still not at peak match fitness but what can he do about that? Other players have had 7-8 matches this season including pre-season - Souza has had 3.

Compare him to Davies, who still isn't fit enough to even make the bench.

Maybe it's on the club then...we've signed him and Davies and neither are fully fit.

We cant wait till November till everyone is up to the speed of this league. It will be too late

Probably right to say we.ll be peaking october with so many late arrivals. Downside of our Windows.

Traore need time to adapt to the physical.was never meant to start games.

And to end it. thanx deadbat for all your efforts I enjoy your reports. We all want and wish the best for united. We.re underdogs no doubt but still hopefully an exciting season ahead.

A good report for a start, but the archer goal was a football goal down the right, we passed the ball forward, good lay off by Mcburnie and a fine finish by Archer, the second goal was a very good pass from Hamer and a great strike from Archer once again, that hit the post and rebounded off the goalkeeper, if you don't shoot you don't score, whether it goes in off the post or the goalkeeper, it doesn't matter, it's a goal

Everton are not a poor side, they have 20 years of experience in the premiership, good manager, some of their players are massive, Egan had a very difficult task today, even though he's not playing well, this is a very big step up for the players, we are doing better than Burnley, Luton and some other teams, defensively, we are not shipping in 3, 4 or 5s, every match, so far.

We will get better, the pace of the game is very quick in body and mind, we have new players, it takes time

I thought we played ok, football wise, yes we need to retain the ball much better, and move the ball quicker but we a playing against better footballers, this is the premiership, and our first season

I think by adding another attacking (442)midfielder player to our side we will retain the ball better, and take the pressure of our defence, since we will have an extra attacker, giving the opposition defence more problems.

Therefore we need to change tacticaly to make us more solid, since we can't get our attacking backs forward as much in the premiership, we now have the makings of a good midfield in Hamer, Souzer, Mctee and Sliman

So have we now gone from "wait till September" to we will peak in October when everyone is "up to speed"

We have known since the fag end of April we were going to play in the Premier League. It isn't good enough to only be up to speed in October, absolutely shambolic planning.

The issue I have is even the returning players look unfit/nowhere near the sharpness of opponents. We look knackered and in quicksand after an hour.

Something that stood out for me today was that Everton could, if pressed near their own corner flag, manage to calmly pass their way out of trouble and form an attack. We couldn’t. That is something that could be worked on over the next couple of weeks.

We don’t seem to link the three areas together at the moment. Five at the back so the midfield is short hence the forward line is then short. For the next two weeks in training this needs working on as the number one priority. We’re short in midfield and the number of times we don’t win second balls is becoming a worry. One more in midfield means we can press more and exert pressure. Opposition midfielders are having too much time at the moment which then leads to our defence being put under pressure.

I am still concerned we do not have a clear way of playing tactically. We seem to play a lot of balls long and rarely go through the thirds, if you like. When we did play football (first goal) we look ok but we seem to be a bit hot potato and I worry we do not trust ourselves to keep the ball and defensively we are too deep as we are concerned about pace. I know a lot have criticised us saying we are quite direct and ale house (dirty) but it is hard to argue as despite one really good goal, lot of our chances seem to come off scraps. We have no sustained possession nor sustained pressure on opponents and are mostly playing on the break or hoping for things to drop. I am not sure what the plan is – maybe that is it but against Everton today we played like the way side for long spells? As I say we seem overmanned so much in midfield – I thought Everton (and every other side we have played) had an extra man? That is why we might need to look at the formation. We are just inviting pressure

Said on another thread, but this is a big problem that I agree with.

It's easy to forget that last year there were many games we looked turgid and lacking any creativity/ goal threat, only for Ndiaye to pull something out of the hat.

It concerns me because clearly there has to be a plan and a way of playing, Macca and Hecky always talk of the brand of football they favour. But it's not translating onto the pitch and I'm not really sure it ever has in a consistent way?

Just going on what had been reported. Where have you seen he was a lot less?
The snippets I caught in France were talking a fee of €10-12m. We are really poor at managing the message in terms of fees making it into the public realm (cf Mousser at £10m when in reality it was £4-5m; Ramsdale at £18.5m when we paid £12.6m).
FWIW I'd estimate...
Souza €8m rising to €12m
Hamer £10m rising to £15m
Traoré £3.5m rising to £5m

Sales...
Ndiaye £20m rising to £25m
Berge £15m rising to £18m

An epic assessment, I appreciate your hard work and detailed analysis. Yes the midfield 3 are often overrun. BUT should we alter the style the players are used to. Imo Norwood is now too slow thinking, and also too slow in the legs against these athletic strong players. This leaves us with a choice? Do we go 541? Strengthen the midfield? Or do we stick with 2 upfront? We scored 2 today with this lineup. Last time in EPL we lost so many games 1-0 or 2-1. We are far more potent going forward. We could, and should have scored more goals, against Florist, Citeh and even today. I am in the Klopp camp, score more than you let in! We may not have as many clean sheets this time, but we'll score more. Please try Trusty and Thomas on the left. Anel in the centre back position? Defence need to tighten, keep the attacking style. All our goals have come from open play, we don't need long throws and set piece goals. With the Mack back we will have even more attacking options. Let's play our game with grit and style. We haven't the depth of most EPL teams. Tighten the back a bit, but keep the attacking style. Keep faith in Hecky's dream team.

Everton were physically stronger, bigger and pacier in every department for the majority of the game only running out of steam in the last 10 minutes.

We won no 50/50 or second balls in the middle. It was like the parting of the Red Sea when they constantly ran and passed through the middle. They pressed in a co-ordinated way we looked unsure whether to stick or twist. We seemed to start with a flat 3 but then pushed Hamer further up. PH confirmed this post match. Hamers flirtation further forward
resulted in him contributing to both our goals but left gaps in the middle.

You just knew Everton would come out at speed second half. What was alarming was our inability to deal with it and everyone in the ground knew their second goal was only a matter of time. Again the same failings. 5 matches in and nothing done to address them. First goal conceded because of inability to deal with a ball in air at the back. Second goal comes down our left again!! We seem to have gone to pieces since we brought the defence coach in. Egan for me has been over played and had little rest in the close season. His injury may be a blessing in disguise as ROI play him for 90 minutes in every match.

Thomas may solve the LWB but we have to start looking at Trusty sooner rather than later to plug the aerial problems and lack of pace/physicality down this side.

The midfield 3 don't look a good fit. There is a lack of balance down the left and maybe we should have pushed the boat out for O'Brien. When we moved Hamer up which was a good tactic we were left with Souza who is not fully fit yet and Norwood who lacks pace and the legs to try stop Evertons pacy counter attacks. We just couldn't deal with them and were lucky not to concede more first half. We have Davies and Slimane to come in and you just have to hope they will be in better condition for the Spurs game.

Archer was a big plus as was Mcb but the lack of depth in this area is concerning if either or both are injured.

We have the ability going forward to trouble teams but unlike under CW our defence is porous and the cover in front of it is currently sadly lacking. We have to consider alternative formations as a flat 3 3-5-2 is only good against the likes of City. 4-5-1 or even 5-4-1- may be better in the short term to plug the gaps in the middle and enable us to control the ball more as it was like a hot potato today.

The next round of games is considerably more difficult and what the easier batch of matches has taught us if your conditioning is not up to EPL standards you will struggle. A very important 16 days of getting up to speed coming up.

Thanks for such a considered, measured account, of where you feel we are at Deadbat

For us, it was hugely encouraging to see the impact that Archer made, and some early signs of a viable partnership with McBurnie—who we reckon, per your thoughts, had a right good game. Apart from everything else, he looks far more robust than he used to. Barely lost a challenge or a contested header, and sticks his body on the line really bravely now, even when he knows he’s going to get whacked.

Hamer. Played two forward balls in the first 15 mins that were as good as anything that‘s come from our midfield all season. More encouraging signs there.

Anel. Shaky start to the season, but looked much more himself today. Agree that he looked solid when switched to the middle, as he did on occasion last season, but it does rather nullify his ability to get forward.

Overall, have to say I think you are quite generous on where we are relative to Everton (BadBuy jr doesn’t necessarily agree with me). I thought that, while limited, they looked levels above us in the second half. They didn’t create much, but they kept the ball better, spread it around more or less unchallenged, kept a better consistent shape, and were just bigger, stronger, faster, and more technical than us.

In short, if today gives us added clarity on where we might stand in our own mini-league as the season plays out, I don’t think the news is good. We were decent for some of the first half, and we finished the game well. Otherwise, I thought we looked ragged, leggy, and all at sea for long stretches, against one of the poorer sides in the division.

Really enjoyed the game. Feel like I’m talking myself out of that here, now, so I’ll STFU!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom