United 2 Derby 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thought we were ok.

3-5-2 first half and it wasn't a disaster, but it seemed the defensive problems from last season in midfield were still there. It is partly that teams can make our midfield 5 into a midfield 3, which happened a lot last season. At least Jokanovic changed it at half time, and I think he needs to be prepared to do it after ten minutes if similar problems happen in league matches.

We also started with three number tens in midfield which made it worse. Derby found space and ran straight through us at times first half. I see it as more of a problem with the shape and balance than individual players' performances. I think most were ok and I gave mostly 5, 6 and 7 on the ratings. It wasn't flowing, beautiful football, but I wouldn't expect that from such a changed side in a game like this.

The change to a Heckingbottomish 3-4-3 stopped more of Derby's penetration and eventually we were quite comfortable.

I agree it did not work with effectively 4 forwards on if you include Freeman who is a liability defensively. It was an odd line up that did not suit the formation and shows how short we are in midfield especially if Brunt is an ACM too.

Fleck gave us a midfield presence but at 1-1 Derby could have scored a few goals straight after we scored in a 5 minute spell even with the extra body in midfield. They cut us apart instantly.

After we went 2-1 up I agree it was comfortable but till Sharp came on they looked more dangerous. I think they hit the post with a deflected effort and another went narrowly wide too in addition to the clear chances a minute after the goal.

Derby had a team of kids out save the two centre backs and we had a far more experienced side. We were playing an u23 side really. Yet they still got through us several times in both halves. If they had been calmer in front of goal then they would have won. Outside the Jebbison chance struggling to recall anything clear cut and not sure keeper had a save to make. At least we were more clinical!

I saw nothing apart from us winning in the performance to say any if those players were ready to upgrade from those in (apart from Sharp) which is pretty damning. I thought likes of Bogle, Freeman, Brunt, Jebbison, Burke, McGoldrick may have really trked to stand out with poor form of the current starters but all were very meh against a load of teenagers. Two centre backs might have been bright spots.

Watched replay and Bogle was all over the pitch. I actually thought he was Mid/Winger instead of Def.. Could he manage to be useful in attacking half if got regular first team games?

I agree it did not work with effectively 4 forwards on if you include Freeman who is a liability defensively. It was an odd line up that did not suit the formation and shows how short we are in midfield especially if Brunt is an ACM too.

Fleck gave us a midfield presence but at 1-1 Derby could have scored a few goals straight after we scored in a 5 minute spell even with the extra body in midfield. They cut us apart instantly.

After we went 2-1 up I agree it was comfortable but till Sharp came on they looked more dangerous. I think they hit the post with a deflected effort and another went narrowly wide too in addition to the clear chances a minute after the goal.

Derby had a team of kids out save the two centre backs and we had a far more experienced side. We were playing an u23 side really. Yet they still got through us several times in both halves. If they had been calmer in front of goal then they would have won. Outside the Jebbison chance struggling to recall anything clear cut and not sure keeper had a save to make. At least we were more clinical!

I saw nothing apart from us winning in the performance to say any if those players were ready to upgrade from those in (apart from Sharp) which is pretty damning. I thought likes of Bogle, Freeman, Brunt, Jebbison, Burke, McGoldrick may have really trked to stand out with poor form of the current starters but all were very meh against a load of teenagers. Two centre backs might have been bright spots.

I think 14 of their squad were also in their squad against Middlesbrough, so although it was a young side, it's pretty much what they've got when they are rotating a bit.

It is strange that we're lacking a hard working battler in midfield. It wouldn't have to be an expensive player either, just someone physical who could give us a bit more organisation and bite in midfield in games like these and as an option in first team games. I reckon Slater must be on the verge of a move.

In Brunt I saw enough in terms of attributes to want to see him more in a more advanced position. Plenty of good involvements, some defensive too, but his role restricts him. Number one priority for a holding midfielder will always be not giving the ball away dangerously. Not worried about a couple of misplaced passes or the odd miskick, in general his touch and passing is very good and there were examples of that too. The ball prior to Sharp's goal was one, we need to try more passes like that.

I think Freeman was positive in possession and it is worth trying to get him involved, especially when creating is a problem for the first team. I still have high hopes for Bogle, but like Baldock last season there were spells were he was pinned back having to watch/mark their wide man. This makes our wing backs passive and prevents them from helping out the midfielders. Again, a problem with our shape and organisation. Burke is running out of time when not scoring, but overall he did quite well.

McGoldrick may not be in his best form, and hasn't been as influential as last season. SJ is trying him in midfield, but I'm not sure he can do a box to box role.

Back
Top Bottom