United 2 Derby 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades saw off fellow Championship side Derby in the 2nd round of the League Cup thanks to that man Billy Sharp again. Both sides fielded largely inexperienced and fringe players but Derby led though Dominic Sibley’s first half strike. Luke Freeman headed level after a goalkeeping mistake after good work from Kyron Gordon before Sharp latched onto a poor back pass to win it.

Both sides made a number of changes from games at the weekend. The home side made eleven changes with starts for a number of young players with Daniel Jebbison starting up front. Fellow youngster Illiman Ndiaye was back in the match day squad after not featuring for any Blades side for some time due to his contract situation.

Derby had a very young side out with only the experienced defenders of former Blade Stearman and Forsyth standing out as seasoned campaigners. Another ex-Blade Ravel Morrison was on the bench.

The game started with Verrips called into early action after Lopata’s error and the Dutch keeper was not convincing as the ball spilled out of his grasp. At the other end Burke’s pace nearly got him in after Jebbison played him in but Allsop was out quicky. Sibley then had a shot wide of the post after decent build up. Derby then worked an opening but Stretton made a mess of a clear chance on the penalty spot.

The Blades struggled to create much but slowly started to move forward more as an attacking force and Burke and McGoldrick linked but Jebbison somehow screwed badly off target after the cross came over. Osborn’s cross was then headed over from McGoldrick. Stretton then had another decent opportunity but Gordon made a good block before Watson shot over.

Derby had shaded things and were rewarded with the opening goal on the stroke of half time. Osborn’s foul was late and he was righty booked and from the subsequent free kick was played down the left and McDonald was able to sent a cross over with no pressure on the ball. Brunt should have cleared but made a mess of it and SIBLEY swivelled and fired low past Verrips.

Robinson headed just wide from a corner before the half time whistle as once again United trailed at home.

Jokanovic made a change at half time as Fleck came on for Jebbison and United seemed to move McGoldrick further forward.

United were level on 53 minutes after they finally got a decent ball into the box and had someone on the end of it. McGoldrick played it out wide and Gordon sent over an inviting cross which FREEMAN met with a firm header but Allsop made a right mess of it and it spooned up and over the line.

As on Saturday, the away side nearly went straight up and regained the lead. United were cut open and Stretton was one on one but Verrips made a save with his legs and then after Robinson errored soon after United were able to scramble clear.

Ndiaye came on for McGoldrick on the hour mark but Buchanan then got away from Bogle and the full back deflected the ball onto his own post. At the other end Freeman fired over after the keeper failed to gather before Sharp came on for Burke.

He immediately wrestled back possession and then nearly got in down the side and this was a precursor for the winning goal on 77 minutes.

McDonald did not look up and his back pass was horribly short. SHARP was quick as a flash to seize on it and rounded the keeper and coolly slotted home. It was classic Sharp.

After this Derby tried to find something but United actually had more of the ball and had further chances on the break but both Ndiaye and Freeman could not quite link with Sharp after enterprising runs. 5 minutes of stoppage time were somehow found but United saw it out comfortably to advance to the next round.

United – I am not sure it was great at all and more of the same really in terms of laboured build up, lack of end product and few chances but in an odd way was still more entertaining than other games in that we saw some different players I suppose? We were very fortunate to win the game in that Derby maybe had more possession (not that this matter as we have seen) but did have some good chances too and had 2 clear ones first half before they scored and 2 after we made it 1-1.

Defensively we never looked totally secure but neither did Derby as both sides lacked experience and thus made mistakes. This made it a relatively open game. I felt both sides had half chances early and Lopata got away with an early error. United came into it a bit more with Freeman getting involved and Burke actually nearly used his pace to decent use but was denied by last ditch keeping/defending. Jebbison missed a sitter for us somehow putting it nowhere near when right in front of goal. Derby then had a good spell and played some decent stuff moving us around but Verrips was not convincing from a few moments. They had a few scuffed finishes and then the goal came from a daft Osborn foul and then Brunt could not clear and Sibley finished well. United had created little again and looked like they had mistakes in them the other way.

Second half saw us play further up the field and I thought we improved after the break but Derby had as many if not more chances than us actually. Freeman started to have more licence to get forward with Fleck alongside Brunt in the middle and had more space. The goal came form Gordon being well forward and a decent cross. The header should have been saved and a real howler but at least Freeman actually got into the box. After this it was even and I felt they had as much of the game than us and we did not push on. They had a few half chances and started to look more likely so the Sharp change was needed. He gave us fresh impetus at the top of the field and got on the error to score the winner. He held it up and brought others into play and just looked a class above any of the other forwards on the pitch. Nearly had a few more and ran the channels well.

We saw it out in the end and got through. Just nice to see a few goals and a win after such a torrid time. I did not see the last round so my first win in person since the Norwich game of March 2020! Derby will feel they had more chances than us over the game and indeed first half had 2 or 3 and same in the 2nd half. Not sure there were tons of really clear opportunities for either side really which was odd as mistakes and the open nature should have seen more, especially with two very dodgy keepers. A draw and penalties may have been the right result but Sharp was able to get the goal and send us through. We certainly did not do enough to win the game and Rooney was right that Derby were hard done by but mistakes change games as we have seen.

Overall we were quite poor again to say we had many more senior players with basic mistakes in passing, control and crossing. It was all very once paced and static with little movement all game. I am not sure too many really staked a claim. Freeman did ok but also was frustrating at times too. Not sure he was quite the brilliant performer I saw some claim but did one or two decent things. He does get in the box though. I thought Brunt was ineffective most of the night and at fault for the first goal and not sure he offers anything we have not already got. The two young lads made some mistakes at the back but kept plugging away and by the end had started to impose themselves more and did some decent stuff and showed good commitment and aggression. I am not sure Bogle really did much right at all and was a bit of a struggle both attacking defensively. As much as Burke will get the usual criticism and he is poor, I don’t think he was any worse than McGoldrick (too slow to do things) and Jebbison who other than one decent ball was anonymous and got took off at half time. Osborn and Freeman maybe stood out as the liveliest players but even they were only ok-decent. Sharp in 20 minutes looked maybe better than any other player in terms of desire and ability!

United had more first team experience and players who have played this season than Derby but still made really heavy weather of it and Derby actually at times played more incisive football. However, with fragile confidence, the win is probably as important as a performance at this point. Still no real grasp of the style we are trying to play – we tried to come out the back but often it did not work (Verrips as bad with his feet as hands) and the midfield did not really move it quick enough again. The forwards again were not really a goal threat and the reliance on Sharp again is worrying.

Ratings:

Verrips 4.5/10 – He looks very uncertain to me. No chance on the goal but early on he made a mess of a simple shot and it nearly came out. He kicked a few out straight to them and a few other times when the ball came in, he was retreating back to his line. In front of a part of young defenders we needed some presence but he looks so fragile in his confidence. To his credit he did make one important save at 1-1 when he spread himself and made a smart save on a one on one. Not the answer and looks way off the required level to me.

Bogle 3/10 – I thought he was really poor tonight. He drew the ire of the Derby fans being an ex-player (not sure why – did he ask to leave and surely it was a decent offer at the time when they needed money and not sure he has said anything derogatory in the press about them has he?) and he crumbled making a mess of crosses, control and basic defending. He did get forward and into good areas but only once did he put a good cross in and too often, he ran it out or get tackled. I am one who called for him to have a chance but on the evidence of tonight he is not exactly making it hard for Baldock. Was really pleased to win at the end after all the stick he got.

Osborn 6/10 – Always tried hard. Some nice touches and runs but often checked back or would not cross. Ironically put a good one in with his right. Defensively he got booked and gave away the free kick for the goal. After this he gave his man down this side too much time. Outside of this he was ok and did get forward and try and link. He was always showing and tried to get on when he could. Never can be faulted for effort but the quality is often lacking.

Robinson 4.5/10 – Played wide left of the three centre backs. Started with the same hesitancy when we needed some assurance. He let them in a few times when he needed to be quicker to react and I think even the young lads came onto the ball or pressed the forwards more than he did. He did improve a bit and had one headed chance wide from a set play. Made a mistake second half when it was 1-1 and they nearly scored again. Stupid booking when he kicked the ball away when he should be setting an example. Ended up captain at the end – how I do not know (see Fleck)?

Lopata 6/10 – Started with a mistake as he overran the ball and they nearly got in and a few times early he seemed a bit over anxious but again wanted to get first to the ball. Sometimes this led to him getting rolled/turned when he was maybe too tight. Did improve as the game went on and started to win his tackles (one cruncher first half) and some headers. I thought that once again our midfield did not protect the defence and they were put under pressure too much for young lads. The second half saw him a bit surer with what he did but at 1-1 they got through is really easy down the centre between him and Robinson. He had one header not far wide when he came up for a corner. Real size on him and not that slow so one to watch definitely as has some raw tools definitely.

Gordon 6.5/10 – Played as a right sided centre back. Thought out of the youngsters he was maybe the one that stood out from the rest even just marginally. He came for the ball and defensively even though he got beat a few times, he kept going and never hid at all from the challenges. He was ok on the ball when he had it and then put a decent cross in for the goal. I do think he need a loan spell – I am stunned all these youngsters that seem to have some promise have never had a football league loan spell -other clubs get them out so why cannot we – I mean the likes of Brunt, Gordon, Osula etc. I suppose Broadbent has gone on loan but the ones we think have a chance we need to see in proper football?

Brunt 5/10 – Seen some thought that he played well but I thought he was quite ordinary and one of our poorer players in lack of positive influence. Thought he was panicky at times and a number of slices or mis controls. Twice he just hooked it up into the air in the first 10-15 minutes? He made some decent crossfield balls but overall felt the game passed him by and then a bad mistake on the goal when he failed to clear cost us. He was a bit better 2nd half in that he made one or two interceptions and ok passes. Looks a long way off a first teamer at Championship level albeit my first proper look at him but need more physicality and quality on the ball. May seem harsh but can only go on what I saw but is only one game and maybe he had to sit and it more of an attacking player but his role did not allow that? Thought Derby had a few more talented youngsters in that area tonight than him. I thought he might be a dribbler or someone who could carry it but he was very static and did not move much at all. Needs a loan spell for me.

Freeman 6.5/10 – Odd really as he did some really good things at times with decent control and little shoulder drops or runs mixed in with some poor decisions using his wrong foot and just not reacting quick enough. He does get into the last third as languid as he can be and now and again, we see bursts. Not sure he is consistent with what he offers and sometimes goes missing or looks slow but gets into the box and scored a goal from open play – something none of our other midfielders ever do. I am not sure he can do any worse but would have to play ahead of a midfield two and the problem with that is Berge/Fleck/Norwood do not offer the tracking back/defensive side so not even sure that would work. Thought some of his set plays/corners were improved from what we have seen and we had a few headed efforts go just wide/over. At least they were into the right areas!

McGoldrick 5/10 – Frustrating tonight. He nipped in and won a few loose balls and bought a few fouls but he played in an odd wide right position and floated from the attack areas but mostly came back and played more in midfield. Often, he and Freeman wandered meaning Brunt was on his own a lot to defend him a bit after my rating. McGoldrick had one good run through the middle when he took two men on and a few other bits of link play but at times too slow to do things or get robbed. Came off on the hour for Ndiaye.

Burke 4.5/10 – He will get criticised I am sure again and I know he is useless but actually did ok with a few things tonight so I am trying to just avoid the narrative that he was garbage before he has even played. I will judge it game by game. He did make some decent runs and nearly got in on a few and won a few corners/throws by chasing things down. He was played in by Jebbison once and nearly got in and then put another decent cross in himself. A few maddening aimless runs too of course! He does fade though and I thought 2nd half he was not in the game and rightly took off.

Jebbison 4/10 – Been a lot of talk about him pre match and indeed this season over whether he will go on loan and now some Premier League clubs appear to have an interest. Find it amusing that all of a sudden, he is our next Brian Deane and Jokanovic should be starting him as he is our best striker (based on very small evidence – albeit he did well in a few games last year). I do think he might deserve a go as the others such as Brewster and McBurnie have done very little but ultimately if a Premier League club comes in and offers something silly like 10 million, he will go. Not sure why everyone is throwing their toys out of their pram over this so-called interest? The club have allegedly turned down a bid. They may accept a much higher bid but, in the Championship, if clubs come for any of our players and offer us decent money (like Ramsdale) they will go. We need to recoup funds after Covid and relegation and we are not exactly blessed with saleable assets sadly outside of maybe Berge. No one seems to be interested in any of our other players. I think the lad does have some potential but no one knows if he is Calvert Lewin (who at a similar age did not play for us either) or Jordan Slew in terms of what he might be? My preference would still be us signing another couple of quick strikers who can come in and contribute and move out likes of Burke and maybe one of Brewster and McBurnie personally. I think Jebbison would be best served from having a few months on loan – he has only played like 3 games hasn’t he? Tonight, he looked way off the pace and Stearman was too strong and experienced for him. He put one good ball through and then missed an absolute sitter when he kicked it further from goal than he was placed! Taken off at half time so Jokanovic either felt he was not fit or was not impressed.

Subs –

Fleck 5.5/10 – Came on for Jebbison. Did more than Saturday but that was not difficult. He was able to move it on when he had it and did at least try and move it on a bit quicker or was more positive at least. He still showed his lack of pace and laziness when he hacked someone down for a crude booking and a few others times was laboured getting back as they broke. Had one shot blocked but attacking wise not sure he did not much to create anything. Steady but again not a ‘pick me’ type showing when we are being linked with new players. He was given the armband from McGoldrick when he went off but did not want any part of it and gave it to Robinson. Odd as surely, he was the most experience player left on (it was before Sharp came on)

Sharp 7.5/10 – Can a player who plays 20 minutes be our best player and maybe man of the match? He came on and held it up, looked for the ball and made intelligent runs. He was involved in some decent attacks and then of course anticipated to score the winner. Could have been played in a few more times by Freeman or Ndiaye to maybe get another goal.

Ndiaye 6/10 – Nice to see him and a surprise as he has not been involved in any first team or u23 games. Hopefully they may be sorting his contract situation out maybe? Anyway, he looked keen and got stuck in giving two fouls away but did get on the ball and carry it forward and got into nice gaps. He played sort of wide left of the three. A few times he maybe could have shot or released it early but a nice cameo.

Jokanovic 6/10 – It is a win and takes the pressure off him a little bit at least after the bad result at the weekend and the poor league start. You look at Hughton and Forest getting spanked and you worried how the crowd might have reacted if we lost again tonight. It was a kind of reserves v reserves game but we had much more experience than Derby and should have imposed ourselves first half but failed to do that. Derby actually played better stuff and got into better areas. They scored a decent goal. He did react with another midfielder coming on and we were better at times 2nd half but it was not convincing and Derby had as many dangerous attacks as us after we got it to 1-1. Without Sharp we did not win the game and did very little in general play again in terms of testing the keeper and creating much outside the two goals but at least we scored two goals – a rarity! He does take credit for the changes of course but not sure he will have seen too many players (outside of Sharp) that really made a bold claim to replace any of those not performing- Freeman maybe but not sure he was that great.

Derby – Quite an inexperience side and at times played some decent stuff but made mistakes that led to two poor goals to give away. Rooney was pleased with how quite an inexperienced side and actually other than Stearman and Forsyth it was a really young outfit and we had much more experience. I felt that they moved it around ok and created some half chances and with more composure could have had a few more goals or at least clear efforts first half. They maybe deserved to go in leading but 2nd half disagree with his assertion they were the much better side. It was more even but they probably still had more clear cut stuff on goal. We got level and did well for a spell with some pressure although nothing clear cut and then they had a decent period and maybe should have gone back ahead but Sharp changed the game and after this we scored and could have had a few more on the break. To have such a young side out and have more possession, chances and shots on goal, corners etc and Rooney can rightly say there were lots of positives.

Sure, it will be a struggle this year and they may yet get points deductions. However, everyone is convinced they will go down but with likes of Stearman and Jags they have some fight and scrap in them and do have some experienced players too (did not play tonight) so with the incoming players it might not be as clear cut. Sadly, Rooney in his first job is showing he is struggling and clearly needed to start his coaching career lower down and gain the experience. I think this will be the biggest issue as we saw last season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Sibley scored a decent goal and got into good positions – he seems to have lost his way a bit after a promising introduction into the Derby side a few years ago but is a player who has an eye for goal. Stearman and the defence did well first half but struggled when Sharp came on with a player who tussled and held it up.

Opponent Weak link – The lad, McDonald made an error on the goal but the keeper Allsop has to save the first and I also though even though the back pass was short he was so slow to come out. Two very error prone keepers on display tonight

Referee/Officials – They were ok and we actually saw a foul throw! Not really anything that controversial really. Although not sure where they got 5 minutes from at the end. The bookings we got were all daft more than really dirty – Fleck apart. Not sure what Freeman’s was for – arguing as we had a free kick?

Crowd – Just under 8.000 which is decent but swelled by maybe 1,500 Derby fans I would estimate. Decent following actually for a league cup side and considering the respective line ups which you kind of know. I thought they were very good and had a lot to jeer with 7 players either ex Derby or Forest in the Blades starting line up! I also liked some of their chants which I had not heard before in terms of the chant style. Simple but effective (‘Forest are losing!’ and then the You Fat/Twat at Fleck!). They were really noisy – fair play to them – even though they do that stupid bounce thing which is quite tired now. On two sides of the ground, it is hard for United fans to make noise and a few groans emanated first half but the goals of course changed things.

We had another fan run on the pitch (why has this become a thing -surely the club need to make a firm statement) although this was a lad maybe 14-15 years of age and younger than the one at the weekend. He ran from the South Stand – nearer the away end – all the way along the pitch and ran to celebrate with the players – right across the centre of the field. Like Saturday it was bizarre. He then tried to escape the stewards who of course had to get him as he had entered the playing area and was clearly old enough to know that you can’t do that. He then tried pushing and grabbing numerous stewards. I felt for them as if they grab a young kid, they can be in trouble but also you cannot just run on the pitch. He then tried to put his hood up as if he was going to disguise himself. He ran up the Kop and this carried on for ages. It got a bit silly. Not sure why he thought he would just be able to just return to his seat – walking round the pitch. Although why fans cheer such idiocy, I’m not quite sure? Maybe his Dad or carer then went round the side – to collect him and was whipping up the crowd to cheer him which was even more moronic. Anyway, eventually after he resisted, they had to get two police officers involved as they went round the side of the field and he will now get a banning order. What was the point?

Cheers Deadbat frustrated by Bogle, the creativity is there but he's never quite got going after that nasty collision with the Fulham? keeper. Maybe it's a psychological thing and he's second guessing himself now. Not sure but as i say.. frustrating

The one fan pitch invasion did distract from the game a bit. He did make some darting moves though to evade the Keystone Kops - hope Slav was watching.

Freeman in my view is the pick (with Berge) of our midfielders at present and I think this through clenched teeth as this is our weakest area.

Jebbison didn't get the service to shine. Neither did Billy of course but that's never stopped him before!

Cheers Deadbat. Good report as ever.

Fans running on the pitch - cunts. I'd love to think he was apprehended and quite forcefully manhandled/given a fucking good pasting in the van but these days such positive actions are frowned upon.

Lad at our school went on the pitch in the seventies. He came in on the Monday with one eye shut tight like a shiny, crimson fanny and his wrist in a pot (and several other ugly contusions which made one wince, and apparently he'd been kneed - DEAD HARD - in the conkers which made him piss blood) after South Yorkshire's finest constabulary caught up with him and escorted him to the nearest headquarters for questioning and charging.

pommpey

Ratings:

Verrips 4.5/10 – He looks very uncertain to me. No chance on the goal but early on he made a mess of a simple shot and it nearly came out. He kicked a few out straight to them and a few other times when the ball came in, he was retreating back to his line. In front of a part of young defenders we needed some presence but he looks so fragile in his confidence. To his credit he did make one important save at 1-1 when he spread himself and made a smart save on a one on one. Not the answer and looks way off the required level to me.

Bogle 3/10 – I thought he was really poor tonight. He drew the ire of the Derby fans being an ex-player (not sure why – did he ask to leave and surely it was a decent offer at the time when they needed money and not sure he has said anything derogatory in the press about them has he?) and he crumbled making a mess of crosses, control and basic defending. He did get forward and into good areas but only once did he put a good cross in and too often, he ran it out or get tackled. I am one who called for him to have a chance but on the evidence of tonight he is not exactly making it hard for Baldock. Was really pleased to win at the end after all the stick he got.

Osborn 6/10 – Always tried hard. Some nice touches and runs but often checked back or would not cross. Ironically put a good one in with his right. Defensively he got booked and gave away the free kick for the goal. After this he gave his man down this side too much time. Outside of this he was ok and did get forward and try and link. He was always showing and tried to get on when he could. Never can be faulted for effort but the quality is often lacking.

Robinson 4.5/10 – Played wide left of the three centre backs. Started with the same hesitancy when we needed some assurance. He let them in a few times when he needed to be quicker to react and I think even the young lads came onto the ball or pressed the forwards more than he did. He did improve a bit and had one headed chance wide from a set play. Made a mistake second half when it was 1-1 and they nearly scored again. Stupid booking when he kicked the ball away when he should be setting an example. Ended up captain at the end – how I do not know (see Fleck)?

Lopata 6/10 – Started with a mistake as he overran the ball and they nearly got in and a few times early he seemed a bit over anxious but again wanted to get first to the ball. Sometimes this led to him getting rolled/turned when he was maybe too tight. Did improve as the game went on and started to win his tackles (one cruncher first half) and some headers. I thought that once again our midfield did not protect the defence and they were put under pressure too much for young lads. The second half saw him a bit surer with what he did but at 1-1 they got through is really easy down the centre between him and Robinson. He had one header not far wide when he came up for a corner. Real size on him and not that slow so one to watch definitely as has some raw tools definitely.

Gordon 6.5/10 – Played as a right sided centre back. Thought out of the youngsters he was maybe the one that stood out from the rest even just marginally. He came for the ball and defensively even though he got beat a few times, he kept going and never hid at all from the challenges. He was ok on the ball when he had it and then put a decent cross in for the goal. I do think he need a loan spell – I am stunned all these youngsters that seem to have some promise have never had a football league loan spell -other clubs get them out so why cannot we – I mean the likes of Brunt, Gordon, Osula etc. I suppose Broadbent has gone on loan but the ones we think have a chance we need to see in proper football?

Brunt 5/10 – Seen some thought that he played well but I thought he was quite ordinary and one of our poorer players in lack of positive influence. Thought he was panicky at times and a number of slices or mis controls. Twice he just hooked it up into the air in the first 10-15 minutes? He made some decent crossfield balls but overall felt the game passed him by and then a bad mistake on the goal when he failed to clear cost us. He was a bit better 2nd half in that he made one or two interceptions and ok passes. Looks a long way off a first teamer at Championship level albeit my first proper look at him but need more physicality and quality on the ball. May seem harsh but can only go on what I saw but is only one game and maybe he had to sit and it more of an attacking player but his role did not allow that? Thought Derby had a few more talented youngsters in that area tonight than him. I thought he might be a dribbler or someone who could carry it but he was very static and did not move much at all. Needs a loan spell for me.

Freeman 6.5/10 – Odd really as he did some really good things at times with decent control and little shoulder drops or runs mixed in with some poor decisions using his wrong foot and just not reacting quick enough. He does get into the last third as languid as he can be and now and again, we see bursts. Not sure he is consistent with what he offers and sometimes goes missing or looks slow but gets into the box and scored a goal from open play – something none of our other midfielders ever do. I am not sure he can do any worse but would have to play ahead of a midfield two and the problem with that is Berge/Fleck/Norwood do not offer the tracking back/defensive side so not even sure that would work. Thought some of his set plays/corners were improved from what we have seen and we had a few headed efforts go just wide/over. At least they were into the right areas!

McGoldrick 5/10 – Frustrating tonight. He nipped in and won a few loose balls and bought a few fouls but he played in an odd wide right position and floated from the attack areas but mostly came back and played more in midfield. Often, he and Freeman wandered meaning Brunt was on his own a lot to defend him a bit after my rating. McGoldrick had one good run through the middle when he took two men on and a few other bits of link play but at times too slow to do things or get robbed. Came off on the hour for Ndiaye.

Burke 4.5/10 – He will get criticised I am sure again and I know he is useless but actually did ok with a few things tonight so I am trying to just avoid the narrative that he was garbage before he has even played. I will judge it game by game. He did make some decent runs and nearly got in on a few and won a few corners/throws by chasing things down. He was played in by Jebbison once and nearly got in and then put another decent cross in himself. A few maddening aimless runs too of course! He does fade though and I thought 2nd half he was not in the game and rightly took off.

Jebbison 4/10 – Been a lot of talk about him pre match and indeed this season over whether he will go on loan and now some Premier League clubs appear to have an interest. Find it amusing that all of a sudden, he is our next Brian Deane and Jokanovic should be starting him as he is our best striker (based on very small evidence – albeit he did well in a few games last year). I do think he might deserve a go as the others such as Brewster and McBurnie have done very little but ultimately if a Premier League club comes in and offers something silly like 10 million, he will go. Not sure why everyone is throwing their toys out of their pram over this so-called interest? The club have allegedly turned down a bid. They may accept a much higher bid but, in the Championship, if clubs come for any of our players and offer us decent money (like Ramsdale) they will go. We need to recoup funds after Covid and relegation and we are not exactly blessed with saleable assets sadly outside of maybe Berge. No one seems to be interested in any of our other players. I think the lad does have some potential but no one knows if he is Calvert Lewin (who at a similar age did not play for us either) or Jordan Slew in terms of what he might be? My preference would still be us signing another couple of quick strikers who can come in and contribute and move out likes of Burke and maybe one of Brewster and McBurnie personally. I think Jebbison would be best served from having a few months on loan – he has only played like 3 games hasn’t he? Tonight, he looked way off the pace and Stearman was too strong and experienced for him. He put one good ball through and then missed an absolute sitter when he kicked it further from goal than he was placed! Taken off at half time so Jokanovic either felt he was not fit or was not impressed.

Subs –

Fleck 5.5/10 – Came on for Jebbison. Did more than Saturday but that was not difficult. He was able to move it on when he had it and did at least try and move it on a bit quicker or was more positive at least. He still showed his lack of pace and laziness when he hacked someone down for a crude booking and a few others times was laboured getting back as they broke. Had one shot blocked but attacking wise not sure he did not much to create anything. Steady but again not a ‘pick me’ type showing when we are being linked with new players. He was given the armband from McGoldrick when he went off but did not want any part of it and gave it to Robinson. Odd as surely, he was the most experience player left on (it was before Sharp came on)

Sharp 7.5/10 – Can a player who plays 20 minutes be our best player and maybe man of the match? He came on and held it up, looked for the ball and made intelligent runs. He was involved in some decent attacks and then of course anticipated to score the winner. Could have been played in a few more times by Freeman or Ndiaye to maybe get another goal.

Ndiaye 6/10 – Nice to see him and a surprise as he has not been involved in any first team or u23 games. Hopefully they may be sorting his contract situation out maybe? Anyway, he looked keen and got stuck in giving two fouls away but did get on the ball and carry it forward and got into nice gaps. He played sort of wide left of the three. A few times he maybe could have shot or released it early but a nice cameo.

Jokanovic 6/10 – It is a win and takes the pressure off him a little bit at least after the bad result at the weekend and the poor league start. You look at Hughton and Forest getting spanked and you worried how the crowd might have reacted if we lost again tonight. It was a kind of reserves v reserves game but we had much more experience than Derby and should have imposed ourselves first half but failed to do that. Derby actually played better stuff and got into better areas. They scored a decent goal. He did react with another midfielder coming on and we were better at times 2nd half but it was not convincing and Derby had as many dangerous attacks as us after we got it to 1-1. Without Sharp we did not win the game and did very little in general play again in terms of testing the keeper and creating much outside the two goals but at least we scored two goals – a rarity! He does take credit for the changes of course but not sure he will have seen too many players (outside of Sharp) that really made a bold claim to replace any of those not performing- Freeman maybe but not sure he was that great.

Derby – Quite an inexperience side and at times played some decent stuff but made mistakes that led to two poor goals to give away. Rooney was pleased with how quite an inexperienced side and actually other than Stearman and Forsyth it was a really young outfit and we had much more experience. I felt that they moved it around ok and created some half chances and with more composure could have had a few more goals or at least clear efforts first half. They maybe deserved to go in leading but 2nd half disagree with his assertion they were the much better side. It was more even but they probably still had more clear cut stuff on goal. We got level and did well for a spell with some pressure although nothing clear cut and then they had a decent period and maybe should have gone back ahead but Sharp changed the game and after this we scored and could have had a few more on the break. To have such a young side out and have more possession, chances and shots on goal, corners etc and Rooney can rightly say there were lots of positives.

Sure, it will be a struggle this year and they may yet get points deductions. However, everyone is convinced they will go down but with likes of Stearman and Jags they have some fight and scrap in them and do have some experienced players too (did not play tonight) so with the incoming players it might not be as clear cut. Sadly, Rooney in his first job is showing he is struggling and clearly needed to start his coaching career lower down and gain the experience. I think this will be the biggest issue as we saw last season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Sibley scored a decent goal and got into good positions – he seems to have lost his way a bit after a promising introduction into the Derby side a few years ago but is a player who has an eye for goal. Stearman and the defence did well first half but struggled when Sharp came on with a player who tussled and held it up.

Opponent Weak link – The lad, McDonald made an error on the goal but the keeper Allsop has to save the first and I also though even though the back pass was short he was so slow to come out. Two very error prone keepers on display tonight

Referee/Officials – They were ok and we actually saw a foul throw! Not really anything that controversial really. Although not sure where they got 5 minutes from at the end. The bookings we got were all daft more than really dirty – Fleck apart. Not sure what Freeman’s was for – arguing as we had a free kick?

Crowd – Just under 8.000 which is decent but swelled by maybe 1,500 Derby fans I would estimate. Decent following actually for a league cup side and considering the respective line ups which you kind of know. I thought they were very good and had a lot to jeer with 7 players either ex Derby or Forest in the Blades starting line up! I also liked some of their chants which I had not heard before in terms of the chant style. Simple but effective (‘Forest are losing!’ and then the You Fat/Twat at Fleck!). They were really noisy – fair play to them – even though they do that stupid bounce thing which is quite tired now. On two sides of the ground, it is hard for United fans to make noise and a few groans emanated first half but the goals of course changed things.

We had another fan run on the pitch (why has this become a thing -surely the club need to make a firm statement) although this was a lad maybe 14-15 years of age and younger than the one at the weekend. He ran from the South Stand – nearer the away end – all the way along the pitch and ran to celebrate with the players – right across the centre of the field. Like Saturday it was bizarre. He then tried to escape the stewards who of course had to get him as he had entered the playing area and was clearly old enough to know that you can’t do that. He then tried pushing and grabbing numerous stewards. I felt for them as if they grab a young kid, they can be in trouble but also you cannot just run on the pitch. He then tried to put his hood up as if he was going to disguise himself. He ran up the Kop and this carried on for ages. It got a bit silly. Not sure why he thought he would just be able to just return to his seat – walking round the pitch. Although why fans cheer such idiocy, I’m not quite sure? Maybe his Dad or carer then went round the side – to collect him and was whipping up the crowd to cheer him which was even more moronic. Anyway, eventually after he resisted, they had to get two police officers involved as they went round the side of the field and he will now get a banning order. What was the point?
I'm so glad someone thought the same of Brunt.

I think our youngsters can do no wrong in some fans eyes, he was bang average yesterday and would be lost in a Championship game based on last night.

Gordon was slightly better and grew into the game. Lopata (sp?) was the pick of them, really looks at ease at the back.

Two poor sides made it a quite an enjoyable watch, awful goalkeeping and players making more slices than a Hovis bakery. Saw nobody except Billy that looked worthy of a game in the first team sadly.
Jebbison missed a sitter and Brunt passed every ball backwards and sideways, our most dangerous player was Robinson with his excellent long throws towards their keeper who was Sunday league standard at best, they caused more trouble than we have done in our last 4 games put together .

The crowd properly seemed to get in Bogle's head, he was awful. That should end the "Baldock Out" talk, really.

Other than that, not too bad overall. Not an especially fluid performance but that's to be expected with so many youngsters and changes. I'm not sure if many of the newbies will be pushing for a start any time soon but I was reasonably happy watching that. It was entertaining at least.

Seems that we are starting to simulate what we did last year, decent cup run (ignoring the quality of opposition for one moment) and shocking league performance.
Is this because the "Cup" Team play better than the "League" team or down to the quality of opposition in the cup ? Be it Man U or Man C instead of Derby and we would have been hammered ? Saying that they would have played kids too.

Jury still out at the moment.

Thanks for the report, nice one.

Just showed me that outside the usual 12/13 first team players there's fuck all else to come in right now - and rightly reinforces the belief we need a big turnover of players within 7(!) days

I thought youngsters put those senior players to absolute shame last night, especially second half. Bogle clearly wasn’t handling the derby crowd on his back, Jack robinson was getting carried by the two young lads at the back at times, burke is just not a footballer is he? I’ve supported and will carry on to support burke when he plays but he’s just not got that know how of when and where to run and how to offer himself. Complete opposite to vardy. Vardy knows where and when to run and how to utilise his pace

Ratings:

Subs –

L
The young players not getting out on loan is staggering. There will obviously be interest so you have to conclude it's us dragging our heels or demanding unrealistic loan fees. The whole transfer side of the club seems a shambles.

thanks for the report, seems yet again to be a match where our defence had no protection from midfield. We do not have one midfield player in the entire squad who can impose himself and win the ball to enable us to establish a platform further up the pitch
Yes we need players who can go past people and create but need someone who can tackle and get about the pitch. Every time the opposition get the ball they progress until such time as our defence make a challenge as they are so exposed.
Bob Booker, Simon Webster, mark patterson, Trevor hockey could not play much football but they stopped the players that could.

Strange how Bogle has turned to shit when he looked so promising when he first arrived and against Premiership players.
People keep crying out for Bogle, and I can understand that, but what they want is the Bogle who played between Brighton away and WBA home.

The Bogle that played after that was considerably poorer, which is why he ain't starting I suspect.

Thanks for the excellent report Deadbat.
It looked to me that Ndiaye was playing on the right of a front three in front of the South Stand, not on the left.
Freeman was booked for time wasting on our free kick. However both Brunt and Freeman were standing over the ball and so how the referee decided to book Freeman and not Brunt I'm not sure.
On the subject of Brunt, he took one corner in the first half in front of John Street/Bramall Lane, but no others during the match. I actually thought that corner was the best of the match! It was driven over, with pace, à la Alan Woodward from the 1970s.

It looked to me that Ndiaye was playing on the right of a front three in front of the South Stand, not on the left.
Freeman was booked for time wasting on our free kick. However both Brunt and Freeman were standing over the ball and so how the referee decided to book Freeman and not Brunt I'm not sure.
On the subject of Brunt, he took one corner in the first half in front of John Street/Bramall Lane, but no others during the match. I actually thought that corner was the best of the match! It was driven over, with pace, à la Alan Woodward from the 1970s.

I meant right not sure why I put left.

I have criticised the moronic idiot who run on on Saturday and the teenager who did the same last night,so it would be remiss of me not to mention the incredible work of the fans, medical staff and everyone who assisted the chap who needed urgent medical attention.

Well done 👏 all! Fantastic to see everyone react so quickly and by all accounts a few supporters were superb.

On Robinson - I agree that he had a poor game, but Slav is partly to blame for that. It seemed clear to me that Robinson was asked to take responsibility for distributing the ball from the back - Lopata and Gordon almost always passed it straight to him, which was fair enough if that was the plan. Robinson was then constantly left holding the ball with no options for a pass. Didsy and Freeman were pushed almost in line with the forwards, unavailable. I'd like to have seen Brunt show for it more (and when he did get the ball it was often a pass straight back to Robinson), leaving only Osborne and Bogle as outlets who were easily cut off. There was absolutely no movement. Sure at times he should have passed it quicker when first receiving the ball, but ultimately that first half he was given a very awkward role with nowhere near enough support. Slav did eventually remedy this - bringing on Fleck changed the dynamic and provided much needed opportunities to get the ball moving - but it was very frustrating first half.

Please don't put Woodwards name on the same page as this shower,

Surely he deserves credit for the clever engineering he did for the first goal? He pulled two Derby players away from that side of the pitch as he dribbled inside which created a chasm for McGoldrick and Gordon to exploit. He was also in the box as the cross came in.

Duz tha know, when I were a lad,before these compooter thingys, everybody wuda been appy just cuss wid wun one, not anymoor....... :tumbleweed: .

I can't get my breath.....🙄

How come there was the same amount of second half injury time in both Saturday's game and yesterday. Huddersfield were wasting time the whole half and there was a lengthy delay due to a head injury.

Thought we were ok.

3-5-2 first half and it wasn't a disaster, but it seemed the defensive problems from last season in midfield were still there. It is partly that teams can make our midfield 5 into a midfield 3, which happened a lot last season. At least Jokanovic changed it at half time, and I think he needs to be prepared to do it after ten minutes if similar problems happen in league matches.

We also started with three number tens in midfield which made it worse. Derby found space and ran straight through us at times first half. I see it as more of a problem with the shape and balance than individual players' performances. I think most were ok and I gave mostly 5, 6 and 7 on the ratings. It wasn't flowing, beautiful football, but I wouldn't expect that from such a changed side in a game like this.

The change to a Heckingbottomish 3-4-3 stopped more of Derby's penetration and eventually we were quite comfortable.

L
The young players not getting out on loan is staggering. There will obviously be interest so you have to conclude it's us dragging our heels or demanding unrealistic loan fees. The whole transfer side of the club seems a shambles.
Until we get players in, can we afford to let them go?

Until we get players in, can we afford to let them go?

I think it would be in everyone's benefit to let at least one of Gordon and Laporta go out now we have Davies in and Jebbison, despite how much people rate him, is probably 8th choice striker in Slavs mind at the moment.

I think it would be in everyone's benefit to let at least one of Gordon and Laporta go out now we have Davies in and Jebbison, despite how much people rate him, is probably 8th choice striker in Slavs mind at the moment.
Yes, I think a lot of them would benefit from a season in L1 or L2. IF we're sticking with 3-5-2 either of Gordon and Lopata may be one injury from a spell in the first team though. Gomis is about as good as them, but has more players in front of him, being left footed. Hopefully he'll find a club. I think Brunt and Ndiaye would also benefit from a loan, but if our problems in scoring/creating continue, and nobody's coming in, I think we may look to them in an attempt to improve.

Back
Top Bottom