United 1 Bristol City 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Brief summary more than a report as ‘school night’ and only got in at 22.45pm.

Three points is all that matters. It is not a game many will remember – even if I did report there were barely any goalmouth action or chances really! It was poor and played at a really slow pace till we improved around the hour mark with changes helping us.

First half we were really slow and poor with and without the ball. We sat off and they had more possession and moved it around but did not really create much despite playing quite well and being untroubled. There were no real chances at all. They had one shot saved from Cornick, we had a few half moments but nothing clear cut and there was the penalty appeal which I do not think was but it was a game of little incident. We just were sloppy on the ball and never moved it forward with any tempo. We seemed to be almost waiting for things to happen – the crowd tried to rally the side and be patient but so many misplaced passes or poor choices meant we never got any head of steam. I kept imploring us to keep the ball but we never did and Bristol City grew in confidence. I was just glad we got in without any damage in terms of goals conceded.

McAtee made a big difference and we were much better second half. Not sure we were brilliant but we ended up taking the game to them more and they started sitting back, time wasting and trying to slow it down. We had a few half chances and Berge shot over, Sharp then made a difference from the bench and we started to look more of a threat. The goal was well made and taken. After this they did not really threaten too much at all but it’s always nervy at 1-0. In the end we had chances to maybe kill it and Jebbison missed a sitter at the death.

It was a tricky game against a ‘nice’ football team who won’t go up and won’t go down and are mired in obscurity but still have some players who can hurt teams. They were better than us first half but after the break they never got going and we forced them back and, in the end, did just about enough to nick the game 1-0.

Overall, it’s a win despite it being a less than convincing performance but it does not matter at this stage. We feel close now. The side looks a bit leggy/weary and need one last push in the two home games next week where in all likelihood, one win might be enough but four points almost certainly will be. If Luton/Boro drop any points tomorrow and then of course play each other (so one will next Monday) then we are almost there. I’d love us to do it at the Lane in a game as often we go up when other teams’ results come in so be great if we could finish it at Bramall Lane but it feels one big performance and win is all that is needed now.

Ratings:

Davies 7/10 – Did everything well tonight. Came off his line more, swept up and dealt with everything he had to competently. One moment he could have caught rather than pushed. One slice but his kicking outside of that was good and he just was alert and came and saw off danger quite a few times as he cleaned up.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Thought Bell gave him some issues early on and there was one dodgy moment when he clashed with him (I did not see enough to give it) but after the break thought he improved and was quicker to the ball and showed real desire. He led the improvements with his ability to nip in and make the ball. Nearly got in a few times including a few good moves with Sharp that nearly led to a goal. He was superb in his desire and commitment to win his battles and drive us forward.

Lowe 6.5/10 – Much like Saturday, felt he was poor first half and gave it away too easily often under little pressure. He was not tight enough to his man and often just kicked it when he needed to be more composed. After the break much improved – he was better defensively nicking in a few times and also involved in the goal and the big chance for Jebbison with a great cross. Recall him making a great tackle towards the end as they looked to create. Had two good second half performances now!

Robinson 6.5/10 – He was ok first half apart from one moment where Cornick nipped in and at times, he and the defence was too slow to move it forward. He improved much like the rest after the break as he came onto the ball, won tackles and generally just upped it in everything he did.

Ahmedhodzic 6/10 – One good tackle on Bell and did try and move it forward but often overplayed when in good positions. Tried another overhead kick that failed again! Second half, he made some decent tackles and was more advanced with some breaks and link up. A few poor clearances and moments near the end where he was not as sure with his play. Obviously has a lot on his mind. Did not get booked and now will wait to see if his wife gives birth before the weekend so he can be available!

Egan 7/10 – Thought he was really steady and one of our better players tonight. He won his headers/clearances but also drove forward a lot and one of the few who seemed to want to carry it and advance it. Felt he was let down by some of those in front at times

Doyle 5/10 – Poorest he has been for some time. Just not really at it. His touch was off and he was careless with a lot of what he did. Had some ok pockets of play but his passing was either short or long and he did not really drive or get on it. Felt Bristol City controlled midfield much of the first half.

Fleck 4/10 – As above – the midfield was not close enough to their players – did not get on it and overall, we just did not have control. Thought whenever it went to Fleck/Lowe down this side, we ended up just losing it carelessly. He played well as a sub but his impact was very limited tonight and rightly hooked.

Berge 7/10 – Best of the midfield and played better overall than he has done. He was not always as involved as he needed to and crucially for long spells, we did not have enough of the ball in here first half but most good things we did came from him. He was ok and neat and tidy but wanted him to dominate more rather than safe/simple stuff. One good run where he crosses just beyond others and then after the break fired over. Had some involvement in the goal and he upped it significantly after the break and was a more of threat in the game. He did ok tonight and did put some rea effort in and chased back quite a bit too but still some awful headers (one just tricked down him and he got on the rebound) but overall, I felt others were not helping him with little movement in front.

Ndiaye 6.5/10 – He had moments of class where he came away from his man and helped us look dangerous and nearly got in the end of one move from McBurnie’s pass but made a poor choice at the end. He did always offer an outlet but things did not always come off tonight but then after the break any time he got involved I felt we might do something and he proved this as he helped make the goal. Not sure he has been totally at his best the last few but still always provides those moments of quality that can help change games.

McBurnie 4/10 – Thought he was really poor tonight and similar to how he played Saturday, and if anything even less impact. He looked immobile, slow and other than one pass to Ndiaye for a half chance, the ball never stuck with him, he lost his headers and never held it up. Looked unfit or injured as he so sluggish. He offered nothing at all sadly and we improved hugely when he went off. Needs to up his game as Sharp/Jebbison are probably better options at the moment the way he is playing. Really disappointed how little he has shown the last few and needs to start contributing again.

Subs –

McAtee 7/10 – Becoming a big-time player and again came up with a huge goal. As soon as he came on it lifted the team and crowd as he ran at people and had a half chance. Gets into those little pockets and always looks dangerous. He is becoming a great finisher and the goal he took superbly and such a big moment in a drab game. Another whom whenever he gets it you sense good things might happen.

Sharp 7/10 – Really good tonight and made a noticeable difference. He held the ball up really well and finally they had someone who was a nuisance. One good link up with Baldock and he was running the channels well. He won free kicks and helped the team get up the field. Desperate to get that 250th goal and hopefully it will come in the run in!

Norwood 7/10 – A mixed bag. Helped us keep it better and one or two great crosses whipped in (the one for the disallowed goal) but he also gave a silly free kick away not long after we scored that fortunately they made nothing of it.

Jebbison – Did ok in the time he was on and showed his running and pace to get down the sides and helped us keep the ball up the top of the pitch but then missed a sitter at the death where he has to score.

Manager: Heckingbottom 6.5/10 – His starters did not work in terms of Fleck/McBurnie and we improved after the subs but then you could say the fresher players came on as they had defenders tiring and made the difference – who knows if they would have as much impact from the start. We managed the game out really well after we got the big goal and had a much better shape second half after we look a bit ragged first half and never got control of the game or forced them back but the tempo was better and we seized the initiative after the break.

Bristol City – They will feel unlucky to lose to us twice this season as have had decent play and territory for large spells but they created nothing really other than the one shot first half and for all the decent football, it never hurt us. They held us easily though and will say they were the better team. After the break it flipped and we had the midfield and control but we created stuff too and got behind them and eventually with a moment if quality, the goal came. They will wonder how we are so high up and them so low down on these games but good teams defend well and are hard to breakdown and have moments of quality at the other end and that has happened both games.

Last edited:

with and without the ball
Hecky is that you?!

Thought you were harsh on McBurnie not giving him credit for the defensive header he made, probably the only positive contribution all game.

1. Nearly there now, and just about shaded it after a poor first half offensively. Have we created less in a half this season? Watford away maybe.

2. I thought Lowe was a lot more sprightly generally tonight. All of the defence did pretty well, defensively, with Baldock my MOTM but Egan was close.

3. Fleck seemed to run out of steam after 10 mins. I’ve been watching the snooker today and he is linked in my mind with John Higgins. God help us Saturday.

4. Doyle was channelling Norwood under Slav. Far too deep and some pointless passing. I’m all for recycling but stopping and going back when we are making progress is happening too often.

5. Berge’s header to himself was a highlight.

6. I assumed McBurnie has a knock as he seemed shattered in the second half and almost completely immobile. If it’s not an injury he really has completely lost form.

7. Good cameo from Billy, who did what McBurnie could not - hold it up.

8. Thought the ref was really good.

9. Bristol City are a bit like Stoke in that the players they have make you think they should be better. They tried to attack but created bugger all. That Scott looks class, and DaSilva was really good. In fact their whole defence was good on the ball.

10. Super goal with good stuff from Sharp and Ndiaye. As I said after Cardiff, they should give McAtee a medal the size of a dustbin lid if/when we go up.

I think you've been a bit harsh marking the three centre halves. Robbo and Anel did really well and helped keep our shape and their chances limited even in the first half when they had territory and possession. One last ditch tackle by Anel.first half was amazing.

Egan was an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance though, superb in everything he did and a captain's performance. Really drive the team on.

Agree on everything else though I think you've been generous to Fleck. Sad to see how much he has dropped, will always be part of the holy trinity but he should not be any nearer to this side than Coutts and Duff.

Credit to HJ&SM for making the required change at half time though and not leaving it to long as they often are accused of.

Brief summary more than a report as ‘school night’ and only got in at 22.45pm.

Three points is all that matters. It is not a game many will remember – even if I did report there were barely any goalmouth action or chances really! It was poor and played at a really slow pace till we improved around the hour mark with changes helping us.

First half we were really slow and poor with and without the ball. We sat off and they had more possession and moved it around but did not really create much despite playing quite well and being untroubled. There were no real chances at all. They had one shot saved from Cornick, we had a few half moments but nothing clear cut and there was the penalty appeal which I do not think was but it was a game of little incident. We just were sloppy on the ball and never moved it forward with any tempo. We seemed to be almost waiting for things to happen – the crowd tried to rally the side and be patient but so many misplaced passes or poor choices meant we never got any head of steam. I kept imploring us to keep the ball but we never did and Bristol City grew in confidence. I was just glad we got in without any damage in terms of goals conceded.

McAtee made a big difference and we were much better second half. Not sure we were brilliant but we ended up taking the game to them more and they started sitting back, time wasting and trying to slow it down. We had a few half chances and Berge shot over, Sharp then made a difference from the bench and we started to look more of a threat. The goal was well made and taken. After this they did not really threaten too much at all but it’s always nervy at 1-0. In the end we had chances to maybe kill it and Jebbison missed a sitter at the death.

It was a tricky game against a ‘nice’ football team who won’t go up and won’t go down and are mired in obscurity but still have some players who can hurt teams. They were better than us first half but after the break they never got going and we forced them back and, in the end, did just about enough to nick the game 1-0.

Overall, it’s a win despite it being a less than convincing performance but it does not matter at this stage. We feel close now. The side looks a bit leggy/weary and need one last push in the two home games next week where in all likelihood, one win might be enough but four points almost certainly will be. If Luton/Boro drop any points tomorrow and then of course play each other (so one will next Monday) then we are almost there. I’d love us to do it at the Lane in a game as often we go up when other teams’ results come in so be great if we could finish it at Bramall Lane but it feels one big performance and win is all that is needed now.

Ratings:

Davies 7/10 – Did everything well tonight. Came off his line more, swept up and dealt with everything he had to competently. One moment he could have caught rather than pushed. One slice but his kicking outside of that was good and he just was alert and came and saw off danger quite a few times as he cleaned up.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Thought Bell gave him some issues early on and there was one dodgy moment when he clashed with him (I did not see enough to give it) but after the break thought he improved and was quicker to the ball and showed real desire. He led the improvements with his ability to nip in and make the ball. Nearly got in a few times including a few good moves with Sharp that nearly led to a goal. He was superb in his desire and commitment to win his battles and drive us forward.

Lowe 6.5/10 – Much like Saturday, felt he was poor first half and gave it away too easily often under little pressure. He was not tight enough to his man and often just kicked it when he needed to be more composed. After the break much improved – he was better defensively nicking in a few times and also involved in the goal and the big chance for Jebbison with a great cross. Recall him making a great tackle towards the end as they looked to create. Had two good second half performances now!

Robinson 6.5/10 – He was ok first half apart from one moment where Cornick nipped in and at times, he and the defence was too slow to move it forward. He improved much like the rest after the break as he came onto the ball, won tackles and generally just upped it in everything he did.

Ahmedhodzic 6/10 – One good tackle on Bell and did try and move it forward but often overplayed when in good positions. Tried another overhead kick that failed again! Second half, he made some decent tackles and was more advanced with some breaks and link up. A few poor clearances and moments near the end where he was not as sure with his play. Obviously has a lot on his mind. Did not get booked and now will wait to see if his wife gives birth before the weekend so he can be available!

Egan 7/10 – Thought he was really steady and one of our better players tonight. He won his headers/clearances but also drove forward a lot and one of the few who seemed to want to carry it and advance it. Felt he was let down by some of those in front at times

Doyle 5/10 – Poorest he has been for some time. Just not really at it. His touch was off and he was careless with a lot of what he did. Had some ok pockets of play but his passing was either short or long and he did not really drive or get on it. Felt Bristol City controlled midfield much of the first half.

Fleck 4/10 – As above – the midfield was not close enough to their players – did not get on it and overall, we just did not have control. Thought whenever it went to Fleck/Lowe down this side, we ended up just losing it carelessly. He played well as a sub but his impact was very limited tonight and rightly hooked.

Berge 7/10 – Best of the midfield and played better overall than he has done. He was not always as involved as he needed to and crucially for long spells, we did not have enough of the ball in here first half but most good things we did came from him. He was ok and neat and tidy but wanted him to dominate more rather than safe/simple stuff. One good run where he crosses just beyond others and then after the break fired over. Had some involvement in the goal and he upped it significantly after the break and was a more of threat in the game. He did ok tonight and did put some rea effort in and chased back quite a bit too but still some awful headers (one just tricked down him and he got on the rebound) but overall, I felt others were not helping him with little movement in front.

Ndiaye 6.5/10 – He had moments of class where he came away from his man and helped us look dangerous and nearly got in the end of one move from McBurnie’s pass but made a poor choice at the end. He did always offer an outlet but things did not always come off tonight but then after the break any time he got involved I felt we might do something and he proved this as he helped make the goal. Not sure he has been totally at his best the last few but still always provides those moments of quality that can help change games.

McBurnie 4/10 – Thought he was really poor tonight and similar to how he played Saturday, and if anything even less impact. He looked immobile, slow and other than one pass to Ndiaye for a half chance, the ball never stuck with him, he lost his headers and never held it up. Looked unfit or injured as he so sluggish. He offered nothing at all sadly and we improved hugely when he went off. Needs to up his game as Sharp/Jebbison are probably better options at the moment the way he is playing. Really disappointed how little he has shown the last few and needs to start contributing again.

Subs –

McAtee 7/10 – Becoming a big-time player and again came up with a huge goal. As soon as he came on it lifted the team and crowd as he ran at people and had a half chance. Gets into those little pockets and always looks dangerous. He is becoming a great finisher and the goal he took superbly and such a big moment in a drab game. Another whom whenever he gets it you sense good things might happen.

Sharp 7/10 – Really good tonight and made a noticeable difference. He held the ball up really well and finally they had someone who was a nuisance. One good link up with Baldock and he was running the channels well. He won free kicks and helped the team get up the field. Desperate to get that 250th goal and hopefully it will come in the run in!

Norwood 7/10 – A mixed bag. Helped us keep it better and one or two great crosses whipped in (the one for the disallowed goal) but he also gave a silly free kick away not long after we scored that fortunately they made nothing of it.

Jebbison – Did ok in the time he was on and showed his running and pace to get down the sides and helped us keep the ball up the top of the pitch but then missed a sitter at the death where he has to score.

Manager: Heckingbottom 6.5/10 – His starters did not work in terms of Fleck/McBurnie and we improved after the subs but then you could say the fresher players came on as they had defenders tiring and made the difference – who knows if they would have as much impact from the start. We managed the game out really well after we got the big goal and had a much better shape second half after we look a bit ragged first half and never got control of the game or forced them back but the tempo was better and we seized the initiative after the break.

Bristol City – They will feel unlucky to lose to us twice this season as have had decent play and territory for large spells but they created nothing really other than the one shot first half and for all the decent football, it never hurt us. They held us easily though and will say they were the better team. After the break it flipped and we had the midfield and control but we created stuff too and got behind them and eventually with a moment if quality, the goal came. They will wonder how we are so high up and them so low down on these games but good teams defend well and are hard to breakdown and have moments of quality at the other end and that has happened both games.

Good report as usual , but I feel your appraisal of Berge’s performance is somewhat generous whereas that of John Egan is less so .

For me the latter put in a superb performance , arguably his best of the season and well worthy of at least 8.5 .

Can’t argue too much about the report and scores you have given. What I will point out is that you, like many of our supporters seem happy to accept that the points mean everything in our promotion push. Until recently, I would have agreed with that.

The performance last night, like so many recently, depend on the managers attitude to keeping a strong defence at all costs. The PH tactics may achieve promotion and I want that.

His success with a conservative approach will get us promoted, but those same tactics will be our downfall in the PL. I don’t get it, when we have the talented and explosive players at our disposal. We are better than Burnley and Boro/Luton, and a more confident style of play could reverse positions with the club that tops the league.

I realise this is late in the day, but the performances in the last 3 home games prove that I expect too much, and PH is probably a better manager than I would ever be. That does not mean we have to put up with a timid and cautious approach, when we have an abundance of talent to compliment a solid defence.

The game against Cardiff proves it despite the result. Hecky’s conservative approach works when players feel free to attack and play more attractive football. That’s what I want to see. (As well as promotion of course).

I hope the shackles are pulled off this Saturday. Free hit to relax, and play the football we are capable of, and that we have only seen in short spells this season.

Last edited:
Can’t argue too much about the report and scores you have given. What I will point out is that you, like many of our supporters seem happy to accept that the points mean everything in our promotion push. Until recently, I would have agreed with that.

The performance last night, like so many recently, depend on the managers attitude to keeping a strong defence at all costs. The PH tactics may achieve promotion and I want that.

His success with a conservative approach will get us promoted, but those same tactics will be our downfall in the PL. I don’t get it, when we have the talented and explosive players at our disposal. We are better than Burnley and Boro/Luton, and a more confident style of play could reverse positions with the club that tops the league.

I realise this is late in the day, but the performances in the last 3 home games prove that I expect too much, and PH is probably a better manager than I would ever be. That does not mean we have to put up with a timid and cautious approach, when we have an abundance of talent to compliment a solid defence.

The game against Cardiff proves it despite the result. Hecky’s conservative approach works when players feel free to attack and play more attractive football. That’s what I want to see. (As well as promotion of course).

I hope the shackles are pulled off this Saturday. Free hit to relax, and play the football we are capable of, and that we have only seen in short spells this season.
Who are these talented and explosive players then? Ndiaye, McAtee and sometimes Berge is all I'm seeing really. More quality up front and out wide is needed for us to look more convincing and we simply don't have it. Jebbison could still prove himself but not if he keeps missing sitters like today.

Who are these talented and explosive players then? Ndiaye, McAtee and sometimes Berge is all I'm seeing really. More quality up front and out wide is needed for us to look more convincing and we simply don't have it. Jebbison could still prove himself but not if he keeps missing sitters like today.
Ndiaye Ahmedhodzic and Berge would for a decent spine to form the team around. If the self imposed wage cap is removed, it would show those players how serious our ambitions are.

Of course, if you are satisfied with more of the same yo you stuff, that’s fine too. 😇

I'm really looking for a draw or Boro win to bring the required points total down to no more than 84 points, with any bonus tonight gratefully accepted. I see West Brom sadly lost Dike for a lengthy period. Shame for the lad. But that also removes a danger from them when we face them.

Once the weekend is over ideally the next game will be the one that takes us beyond anything the chasing pack can muster. I think it then worthwhile appraising who has been soldiering on and send them off for the summer.

We have the likes of Jebbo, Osula and Sharp all chomping at the bit if McBurnie is really carrying on injured and we have a plan to retain him.

We have Coulibaly as well as a few of our own youngsters who would probably benefit from some minutes here or there and Berge has hardly had a break due to Internationals.

Lastly we had Clark and hopefully Basham so if anyone like Egan or Ahmedhodžić are carrying knocks, time to think towards next year and give them an extended break.

Also, would like to think the cup proceeds end the embargo and we can start resolving contracts well before the season ends. If we can at least clear up what is happening with the current personnel then it gives us a clear picture for the summer recruitment.

On the match, I'm pretty aligned with the above comments. First half a non event from our perspective. Second half a welcome uptick in quality. But as many state. It's about points now. Performances very much secondary as a long hard slog of a season comes to a close.

That does not mean we have to put up with a timid and cautious approach, when we have an abundance of talent to compliment a solid defence.
I think you’re confusing a nervous performance with a cautious performance.

The players are nervous, that shows in the recent half performances, they are shit scared of making a mistake and it’s leading to actual mistakes. When they settled into the game a bit 2nd half we had that bit of quality to unlock the opposition. I don’t think Hecky is telling them to go out and be shit for 45 mins but they have been the last couple of games.

Bringing a good player on for Fleck and then someone with actual functioning legs for McBurnie also helped last night.

John Egan's 2nd half performance was nothing short of wonderful. He put the entire club on his back and carried it towards the Premier League.

It seemed like there was a moment when he thought "the lads aren't playing well, the crowd aren't helping...fuck it, I'll win it for us."

I don't believe in 10/10 but, in the 2nd half at least, he was worth nothing less than that.

What a man.

I think you’re confusing a nervous performance with a cautious performance.

The players are nervous, that shows in the recent half performances, they are shit scared of making a mistake and it’s leading to actual mistakes. When they settled into the game a bit 2nd half we had that bit of quality to unlock the opposition. I don’t think Hecky is telling them to go out and be shit for 45 mins but they have been the last couple of games.

Bringing a good player on for Fleck and then someone with actual functioning legs for McBurnie also helped last night.
Whatever the cause, it happens too often! 🤷‍♂️
Picking Fleck to start means the manager is too confident in Fleck’s abilities.. Hopefully Fleck’s performance will erase that confidence.

Picking Fleck to start means the manager is too confident in Fleck’s abilities.. Hopefully Fleck’s performance will erase that confidence.
Fleck started because he needed minutes before the weekend. Wrong choice for me. I’d prefer Coulibaly to play because he can at least run.

Ndiaye Ahmedhodzic and Berge would for a decent spine to form the team around. If the self imposed wage cap is removed, it would show those players how serious our ambitions are.

Of course, if you are satisfied with more of the same yo you stuff, that’s fine too. 😇
So how high us the wage cap and how do you balance 'ambitions' with financial reality

You can be certain that if we are promoted with a game or more to go, there is going to be a rather overt and obvious display of every single player trying to pass to Billy as he stands on the penalty spot for 90 mins trying to get this goal! Anyone got that gif of Rooney trying to get his son to score a goal….?

Fleck started because he needed minutes before the weekend. Wrong choice for me. I’d prefer Coulibaly to play because he can at least run.
I’m happy for Fleck and even Norwood to come on for the last 15 minutes. We probably have little choice for Saturday?
Coulibally, Arblaster and Brooks should be ahead of him for choice and form, but PH probably sees things differently?

Begs the question, do loan players slow the progress of our academy graduates? Are any of them good enough to develop as well as McAtee and Doyle have? If graduates get the same development chances as loan players, they should surprise us too?
Not many had a lot of confidence in McAtee after the Luton game. He’s proved a few of them/us wrong.
Coulibally looks a bit lightweight to me, but who knows?

I feel that early season we were much more adventurous.
From the World Cup onwards, we have seemingly become more cautious and negative.
Last night, every time Doyle got the ball, sideways, back, this permeates the whole team other than Ndiaye and probably McAtee. First insinct, get rid of it, second, ok, safe boring pass.
We were thumping table toppers
Reading, Blackburn, and Burnley at the Lane, now scraping past Bristol City thanks to McAtee.

Fleck was in because McAtee had a knock. Heckingbottom explained in the post match press conference.

So how high us the wage cap and how do you balance 'ambitions' with financial reality
That reflects how I used to see it too. Now that I am more aware of my mortality, I’ve changed me mind. I’m a selfish b’stard really. 😊 Just want us to go for it, and to hell with the consequences

I’m happy for Fleck and even Norwood to come on for the last 15 minutes. We probably have little choice for Saturday?
Coulibally, Arblaster and Brooks should be ahead of him for choice and form, but PH probably sees things differently?

Begs the question, do loan players slow the progress of our academy graduates? Are any of them good enough to develop as well as McAtee and Doyle have? If graduates get the same development chances as loan players, they should surprise us too?
Not many had a lot of confidence in McAtee after the Luton game. He’s proved a few of them/us wrong.
Coulibally looks a bit lightweight to me, but who knows?
Loan players definitely stifle academy development, however they’re necessary. Doyle is better than Arblaster/Coulibaly and McAtee is better than all at the club but Ndiaye from a forward sense.

MGW probably allowed Ndiaye to be phased in last season as well so that was a positive.

Egan tremendous tonight, defence very solid as usual, difference as ever is Illiman and Mcteer to get the win
Fleck again looks finished at the level
Oli Mac looks like he is carrying an injury, no threat at all, but he is working hard
Fabulous three points at exactly the right time, hard to be too critical of the boys, it’s been a long demanding season with loads of injuries along the way

I wonder if the drop in intensity of performances since the world cup, mirrors the drop in the number of injuries. Don't know, just wondering. But that perpetual crisis seems to have cleared up.

Good report DB even its a short one. Doyles score a little harsh. He did the work of 3 midfielders in the first 45 minutes and was the only one winning second balls. Berge and Fleck were anonymous in this period. Doyles passing game was poor but there was no movement in the first half at all. Second half Berge comes to life, Mcatee on and within minutes we pushed Bristol City back.

Agree some players looked leggy and as the finishing line approaches nerves will set in and easy options on the ball will be taken. It was a poor performance last night lets not gloss over it but its 3 points. The result ensures we remain in second place until we next play in the league which has a psychological advantage.

Luton will keep winning imo their work rate is immense and in Mpanzu and Nakamba have 2 of the hardest working midfield players in the league. Both worth a look if we do go up as is Morris. So its premature to start breaking open the champagne yet and West Brom and Preston both going for the play offs will be sterner challenges than the last 2 opponents.

Finally its sad to say I'm admitting defeat on John Fleck. One of my favourite players over the last few years but injury has taken its toll and last night his lack of energy and mobility were there for all to see. I had hoped he could re discover his old self simply because he provided the balance down the left that we have missed so much first with JOC and latterly with RND. If he starts on Saturday I fear he will be embarrassed and I would not want that to happen to such a good servant. Cameos off the bench are his forte now. Still banging the balance drum we need a left footer in midfield down that side. Brookes is a good prospect but the occasion may over awe him so I'm going left field and proposing Clark as a LDM man marking De Bruyne and kicking lumps out of him. :)

Last edited:

Do fans really think Hecky sends them out to not run around and pass the ball sideways and backwards? There was almost zero movement up top first half so no forward balls to play.
As was pointed out in the post-match interviews Bristol City went man to man in the first half. Other than Berge and Ndiaye we didn't have anyone capable of beating an opponent one-on-one in that first half line up which meant we were reliant on off-the-ball movement and that isn't a strength either. Switching to a 3-4-1-2 in the second half broke City's defensively lines up and gave us space further up the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom