United 0 Palace 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – Our best player. He made a mess of one punch out on the offside goal first half but then he had no chance on the goal and made 2 or 3 good saves to keep the score down after this. The one from Anderson at the end was superb.

Baldock 6/10 – Tried hard but did not get forward much. He did ok defensively and we were certainly better on this side. Seemed to pull up late on so hope it is cramp as Hecky said rather than anything more serious.

Lowe 4/10 – He started ok first half – no real issues with his defending and he got stuck in but started to unravel just before the break when he let his man get past him and then second half miles off it on the goal – others were at fault too. He got involved in a daft scuffle with Hodgson too. He then gave it away two or three times after and the occasion the lad completely skinned him showed his limitations. The new lad cannot be great if Lowe has been preferred as he is nowhere near good enough at this level.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Did ok I felt at times but then he was ball watching once when they nearly got in and I felt the ball down the channel of the left second half showed why him and Lowe are just not at the level we need sadly. He tried hard and got stuck in but showed today athletes and pace will cause him problems.

Ahmedhodzic 4/10 – Thought he, along with Lowe, was the worst of the backline and the whole game seemed to be at full stretch. Thought he would show his quality on the ball and his composure but got caught a few times and was careless with the ball to start. This carried on all game. Never really got in their half and then defensively he was too slow to react. The goal he has not gone with his man and as poor as the build up is, he does nothing to stop the finish. Must be a lot better- being one of our so-called key men.

Egan 5.5/10 – He was ok I felt and at least was one of the few who won a few headers. He did head one over when well placed and then got turned once but not sure he made any glaring errors. It did worry me that we should be strong on set plays and they won a lot of headers from these?

Norwood 3/10 – Thought he was woeful and comfortably our worst player. Never kept the ball all game and just tossed it away. Did not put his foot on it and then lost the battles second half as they dominated this area. We needed him to be a calming influence but he was anonymous for the most part and showed why he struggles at this level due to the size/running of opponents. However, he did have opportunities in set play and general play but wasted them all.

Basham 4/10 – Ran around and at least put his foot in a few times but he looked out of his depth at a position he has barely played at for a season or so, never mind the top level. His game used to be based on his running power/fitness and ability to get around the field. These days he does not really do that looks like a holding midfielder but one who cannot press much nor offer much on the ball. Love the guy but he should only be really used as a back-up – as a defender,

Osborn 4/10 – As above, ran around and tried but woefully lacking in the ability to impose himself with or without the ball. As the game went on he regressed more and more. The goal Lowe is out of position, he goes across but then lets the cross come in easily. Nice lad and a trier but barely a starter in the league below.

Traore 6/10 – Worked hard and despite giving away several fouls (some were cheap I felt and harsh) he at least tried to put them under pressure. Made the chance for Osula but then messed up another chance to feed him. He did at least cover some ground but was barely given a pass to his feet all game. He is very slight though and you worry how much ball he will see – he hardly saw any today against one of the poorer sides. He at least showed a few moments.

Osula 6/10 – Same as Traore -for a 20-year-old kid making his debut he did not disgrace himself. Had our two best efforts and he showed a few nice touches. Lacks awareness of where to run and his hold up needs work but his power and pace was shown a few times. He is raw and clearly needs games – probably at League One (remember he could not get in a side at this level last time out) but for now we have no choice and he has to start.

Subs –

Souza – Won a header and a loose ball but not long enough to make an impact. He looks a real unit though.

Slimani – I thought he looked unfit and off the pace last week and was not picked today – so maybe Hecky feels the same if he prefers the midfield above. Got a booking for a poor challenge but again limited time to make an impact.

Larouci – One mistimed header nearly put them in and not sure he is much of an upgrade on Lowe from what I have seen pre-season – so with RND nowhere near – we still need a left wing back. Personally, I would play JLT and Trusty in some combination down there at least short term.

Brooks – Gave it away once but I liked the fact he tried to get on the ball and had a few runs forward with it - which none of the three that started here could or would do. To me I would have started him over one of the three that did. He at least would have given us some energy and running.

Hackford – Not sure he kicked it. After barely being even involved with the u21’s – the fact he is now in the first team squad and being used is remarkable but shows the state of our squad rather than a criticism of him.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – Not sure I can give him any lower due to the fact his hands are seriously tired but tactically I was unsure of the set up today. We did not particularly play on the break nor did we have a way of trying to create? His selection of the three in midfield was forced to some degree but also does not say much about the youngsters/Slimane. However, it is his not his fault he has effectively been forced to play a side that is simply sub-standard for this level.

Palace – It was a stroll really. Thought they were weak too with players missing/moved on and looked at their line up and it was far worse than the one that started versus us a few years ago – on our opening home game. It was a team that I felt looked beatable – till I saw out team! In the end the game began evenly for about 5 minutes but they were much better than us for the rest of the game. They did not have loads of chances but the 3 or 4 good ones after the Osula one – came from them. They started to dominate midfield with runners coming from deep too and they sensed once the initial momentum of the opening minutes and crowd noise wore off, they could just show they were better players and they did. They could have been in front before half time but we stayed in it but then the goal came soon after. Once an away team scores, you expect a reaction from the home side and fans but it was very quiet and the team could not lift themselves. Palace came back on the attack and really could have had a few more. Eze caused problems but with Ayew and Schlup running the channels they had pace to burn. Johnstone did not have a save to make all game – maybe the one weak Norwood shot but that is clutching a bit! The defence was comfortable and the midfield controlled things with Edouard a threat, scoring one and nearly getting another couple. The time ticked by but with us having little in the way of creativity, Palace managed their way to an easy win and only Wes keeps the score down. They are a side that I am not sure finished much higher than 12th or 13th and could be even lower as lack real quality against the better sides but today showed that even sides like them will be too strong for us unless we hugely improve as at times it was quite one sided in terms of possession, physicality and overall ability.

Opponent Man of the Match –The lad Anderson looked class at the back and Guehi is strong. The rest of the defence were assured with the full backs never ran at all game. Edouard scored and others flitted in between but the two lads in midfield dominated. I thought Lerma was by far the best player on the park and watching the likes of mini men like Osborn and Norwood try to get it off him was a hard watch.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They were better man for man in every area.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Frustrating. Felt he gave us little really despite them being physically stronger and quicker which meant we did commit more fouls and got bullied at times due to their superior size/power. However, he was quite fussy on some of ours but less so on some of their fouls. Also, we saw the irritation of players going down way too easily and getting fouls – at least now they have to get up and cannot stay down for treatment (as have to go off) but the ref bought a number. Traore was penalised for barely touching Palace players a few times yet when the same happened the other way he played on. The officials did save us two goals on offsides and were at no way a contributory factor to the defeat but Brooks was inconsistent all game with his calls. I get the Osula one as been told to book them but then Johnstone took an age and he does nothing? The Slimani yellow was harsh but Ahmedhodzic was right to be carded for a cynical foul – another worry as he continues to show ill-discipline.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – A sell-out. Started loud and the Kop/ground got behind the side and knew the over matched side would need us. Felt the fans stayed with the team despite little to shout about but after the goal went in, the energy sort of drained and it was quieter after this. The fans did not get on the teams back at all and knew that they were doing their best but just were not good enough. Palace fans filled the away end and made more noise than they normally do down here – helped by a win of course.
Thanks Deadbat - Brilliant report. Grateful for your wonderful work .

So pleased this match wasn't on Sky.
We would have received so many negative comments about being the worse team ever to play in the PL etc.

We've lost all our 4 creative players from last season N'Diaye, Berge, McAtee, Doyle.
So it was no surprise really that at no time did we seriously threaten to score, no pressure, no nothing really

Reminded me of when a PL teams draws a league 1 team in the FA cup.
Yes we were that bad, non even mid Championship standard and today is probably one of the worse teams we've put out for several years.

Praise to the players for at least trying and keeping the scoreline respectable.
They were probably 3 goals better than us.....so felt quite pleased we only lost 0-1.

Todays team is nailed on to finish bottom but I'm still reasonably confident we'll stay up
because I believe we'll bring in a few more signings as good as the Hamer signing.
As you say we've lost 4 from last season's starting 11 and only signed 1 nailed on starter so far ( who didn't play, so it's hardly surprising that we looked miles off it.

At least 2 or 3 more top players needed to make us anywhere near it.

We should have brought the subs on at least 10 minutes earlier as the midfield were shot by then

I’m glad he said what he said, it proves he feels screwed over by the lack of transfer activity prior to the season starting, therefore putting us weeks behind where we need to be.

He keeps mentioning on record that the Prince has confirmed the money we’ve raised for sales will be reinvested. Sounds like he’s anxious it might not happen. He also knows the business needs to happen this week and keeps emphasising that. Asaba made the same point here, which is completely fair.

Slimane card looked harsh at the time and from the replays looked like he got the ball.

Players doing obvious simulation should be booked long before anyone kicking the ball away.

I think you are a little harsh on Hecky’s rating because what else could he do

Formation was 5-4-1 first half.

Low pressure:

CP formation.png
* Note that Traore pulls down to RM in a midfield four. He's given some allowance to be a bit sloppy, more so than Osborn.

Higher pressure, but still same formation:

CP formation2.jpg
* I think we hoped to do this a bit more, i.e having Traore, Osula and Osborn put pressure on their defence high up as a trio. But we couldn't do it, and rarely won the ball high up. Palace went long before they got in trouble and we were reluctant to push too high up, understandably concerned with their pace and counter attacking strength.

In the second half we switched to a regular 5-3-2, as vs Stuttgart. Traore partnered Osula up front.

CP formation3.png

We probably aimed to get a big higher up the pitch, but one of the first attempt saw them break. Moments later they scored following a 19-pass (!) move. That, and those first five minutes of the second half showed our difficulty in getting the pressure right with a 5-3-2 against good teams, similar to against Stuttgart.

In hindsight, maybe Hecky should have been more patient with the starting formation and had more of a go later.

Lowe was OK in the first half apart from being a bit narrow sometimes, but on the goal he was slow to get back, then eventually was almost man-marking Osborn rather than doing anything to stop the Palace guy putting a cross in, and was a complete shambles after that, eventually pretending to be injured to get subbed off rather than being hauled off for being shit like he deserved.

Everyone else did the best they could (apart from Anel on the goal).
Agree on Lowe, what was he thinking? He and Osborn had switched positions a bit before, and that's ok. But when Ajew is looking to take on Osborn, Lowe has to get in a proper second defender position so he can step in if Osborn can't stop Ajew:

Lowe asleep.jpg

JR position.jpg

When Lowe has decided this Palace attack is uninteresting, Robinson is next in line to save us. I think he also leaves a too big gap between himself and Wes. This means the cross goes past him too, and then Edouard is stronger/more aggressive than Ahmedhodzic.

As mentioned Palace hit 19 passes before scoring this goal and we had plenty of players back. Very disappointing.

Agree on Lowe, what was he thinking? He and Osborn had switched positions a bit before, and that's ok. But when Ajew is looking to take on Osborn, Lowe has to get in a proper second defender position so he can step in if Osborn can't stop Ajew:

View attachment 168178

View attachment 168179

When Lowe has decided this Palace attack is uninteresting, Robinson is next in line to save us. I think he also leaves a too big gap between himself and Wes. This means the cross goes past him too, and then Edouard is stronger/more aggressive than Ahmedhodzic.

As mentioned Palace hit 19 passes before scoring this goal and we had plenty of players back. Very disappointing.

“When Lowe has decided this Palace attack is uninteresting“

Brilliant Bergen. Summed him up to a tee

Yeah agree with most of that, DB. Lowe isn’t good enough for the PL. I hope we never see that midfield combo again as all three of them are not good enough for the PL either.

There is literally no correlation between height and being a good footballer/athlete. Its an absolute myth and old school thinking that players have to be 6ft+ and imposing to be successful. Hamer is 5”7’ and will be more impossing than Berge. A lot of the best players who ever played/playing are 5ft 6/7.

Other quality teams have the ball more so have to do way less running. We need to change our mentality and value keeping it more. Signing more athletes is fine but first and foremost they must be good players.

totally agree that traore is definately a back up player and long term development instead of a starter right now.
A good big un always beats a good little un!

I can easily be swayed to Norwoud being a 4/10 and Bash/Ozzy lower but they were all really poor. What annoyed me most about Norwood is he has the ability to keep it but just kept punting it away.

I've just had a proper look at the stars for possession, shots on targets and passes made. This was as comprehensive a 0-1 away win as you could expect. Was very much like a Champ - League 1 side in the cup.

Incredible that after 4 months that's the best the board gave Hecky. We need at least 2 more in for Forest and probably another 4/5 total before the end of the window. That's just to be competitive.

With better playing/prep we could easily have had 6-8 points at least from first 4. Now we will probably get 0 and then the hard games start!

He keeps mentioning on record that the Prince has confirmed the money we’ve raised for sales will be reinvested. Sounds like he’s anxious it might not happen. He also knows the business needs to happen this week and keeps emphasising that. Asaba made the same point here, which is completely fair.
The thing I like about Hecky is that it doesn’t sound like moaning. Warnock and Wilder would sound needy in the same situation. Hecky is just keeping the pressure on and reminding people he’s got 2 hands tied behind his back.

View attachment 168178

View attachment 168179

Spot on Bergen. Lowe was playing at statues. Osborn at least tried to get back. JLT is the LCB its his job to protect the near post he didn't. Its criminal that the ball got through three central defenders and their forward on his own got the touch into the net.

Overall positive about yesterday.. if we'd seen the team we'll see come September then yes I'd be thinking long hard season . However it was pragmatic of Hecky to field a team that knowceach others game and have a week at least with the new players . Application was 1st class against a more cohesive and we'll drilled settled team . Showed the new players what's expected in terms of work rate .. I'm not qualified or analytical enough to go into individual performances ,tactics etc but the team worked thier socks off. Good to see that appreciated by the crowd cheering effort and tackles . Hope fully be cheering skill and goals as the weeks progress.. be great to see how it works with virtually a new midfield, trusty at the back and a bit of help for osula and traore up front.. yes it's a week or more behind schedule but we can't go back in time. It is what it is.

I can easily be swayed to Norwoud being a 4/10 and Bash/Ozzy lower but they were all really poor. What annoyed me most about Norwood is he has the ability to keep it but just kept punting it away.

I've just had a proper look at the stars for possession, shots on targets and passes made. This was as comprehensive a 0-1 away win as you could expect. Was very much like a Champ - League 1 side in the cup.

Incredible that after 4 months that's the best the board gave Hecky. We need at least 2 more in for Forest and probably another 4/5 total before the end of the window. That's just to be competitive.

With better playing/prep we could easily have had 6-8 points at least from first 4. Now we will probably get 0 and then the hard games start!
Another thing that annoyed me about Norwood was the free kick, just before half time. Instead of putting in his usual curling cross, which are hard to defend and we've had previous success, he knocks it to Ozzy who puts in a poor cross.
Very strange decision making.

Good report. I think I'd have rated Norwood 4/10 with Bash possibly as low as 2/10, Ozzy 3/10 despite his efforts.

That midfield gave us no chance. Bash couldn't even win a tackle and bizarrely was almost pulling out of them as well.

Thought pretty much everything was wrong (though decent spirit to try and equalise despite the low quality) yesterday, but the only way is up. I don't think we're going to play like that all season and I'm not going to panic even if we have handicapped ourselves for the first chunk of matches.
Gave Lowe a 2/10 terrible!

View attachment 168178

View attachment 168179

9 Utd players in the Box and 2 of theirs.

Yeah agree with most of that, DB. Lowe isn’t good enough for the PL. I hope we never see that midfield combo again as all three of them are not good enough for the PL either.
We have known for ages that Lowe isn't a good enough defender and yet we have signed Larouci who appears to be no better

I thought it was a toss up between him, Osborn and Bash who was worse. They failed to keep the ball, did not break-up play and gave the strikers nothing. Sometimes stats don't always tell the full story. Norwood was the one who is supposed to be the one who keeps it and can take a decent set play. I felt he failed to do that at all today.
For a team that is playing at the top level, it was all quite panicky with very little composure on display.

I think we should have expected to keep the ball better. I can’t recall us having any passages of play where we retained possession. It was all very rushed when we had the ball.

Overall positive about yesterday.. if we'd seen the team we'll see come September then yes I'd be thinking long hard season . However it was pragmatic of Hecky to field a team that knowceach others game and have a week at least with the new players . Application was 1st class against a more cohesive and we'll drilled settled team . Showed the new players what's expected in terms of work rate .. I'm not qualified or analytical enough to go into individual performances ,tactics etc but the team worked thier socks off. Good to see that appreciated by the crowd cheering effort and tackles . Hope fully be cheering skill and goals as the weeks progress.. be great to see how it works with virtually a new midfield, trusty at the back and a bit of help for osula and traore up front.. yes it's a week or more behind schedule but we can't go back in time. It is what it is.
Admittedly I didn’t watch the full game, but from MOTD Luton looked crap in their work rate which I didn’t expect from them. As you say, our lads did have a fair bit of last ditch defending and chucking themselves in front of the ball. Maybe that’s also down to it being a home game for us.

For a team that is playing at the top level, it was all quite panicky with very little composure on display.

Agree, the effort was there but we were like rabits in headlights as though we’ve had no pre-season.

That’s probably why Brooks stood out when he did come on, at least he looked calm and composed trying to play simple balls to feet.

Great review DB, quality effort as always I appreciate it.

Think there could be some real potential in traore and osula alongside the experience of, I guess, McB. If, and it's a classic SU Premier League problem, we can get them the service from midfield.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – Our best player. He made a mess of one punch out on the offside goal first half but then he had no chance on the goal and made 2 or 3 good saves to keep the score down after this. The one from Anderson at the end was superb.

Baldock 6/10 – Tried hard but did not get forward much. He did ok defensively and we were certainly better on this side. Seemed to pull up late on so hope it is cramp as Hecky said rather than anything more serious.

Lowe 4/10 – He started ok first half – no real issues with his defending and he got stuck in but started to unravel just before the break when he let his man get past him and then second half miles off it on the goal – others were at fault too. He got involved in a daft scuffle with Hodgson too. He then gave it away two or three times after and the occasion the lad completely skinned him showed his limitations. The new lad cannot be great if Lowe has been preferred as he is nowhere near good enough at this level.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Did ok I felt at times but then he was ball watching once when they nearly got in and I felt the ball down the channel of the left second half showed why him and Lowe are just not at the level we need sadly. He tried hard and got stuck in but showed today athletes and pace will cause him problems.

Ahmedhodzic 4/10 – Thought he, along with Lowe, was the worst of the backline and the whole game seemed to be at full stretch. Thought he would show his quality on the ball and his composure but got caught a few times and was careless with the ball to start. This carried on all game. Never really got in their half and then defensively he was too slow to react. The goal he has not gone with his man and as poor as the build up is, he does nothing to stop the finish. Must be a lot better- being one of our so-called key men.

Egan 5.5/10 – He was ok I felt and at least was one of the few who won a few headers. He did head one over when well placed and then got turned once but not sure he made any glaring errors. It did worry me that we should be strong on set plays and they won a lot of headers from these?

Norwood 3/10 – Thought he was woeful and comfortably our worst player. Never kept the ball all game and just tossed it away. Did not put his foot on it and then lost the battles second half as they dominated this area. We needed him to be a calming influence but he was anonymous for the most part and showed why he struggles at this level due to the size/running of opponents. However, he did have opportunities in set play and general play but wasted them all.

Basham 4/10 – Ran around and at least put his foot in a few times but he looked out of his depth at a position he has barely played at for a season or so, never mind the top level. His game used to be based on his running power/fitness and ability to get around the field. These days he does not really do that looks like a holding midfielder but one who cannot press much nor offer much on the ball. Love the guy but he should only be really used as a back-up – as a defender,

Osborn 4/10 – As above, ran around and tried but woefully lacking in the ability to impose himself with or without the ball. As the game went on he regressed more and more. The goal Lowe is out of position, he goes across but then lets the cross come in easily. Nice lad and a trier but barely a starter in the league below.

Traore 6/10 – Worked hard and despite giving away several fouls (some were cheap I felt and harsh) he at least tried to put them under pressure. Made the chance for Osula but then messed up another chance to feed him. He did at least cover some ground but was barely given a pass to his feet all game. He is very slight though and you worry how much ball he will see – he hardly saw any today against one of the poorer sides. He at least showed a few moments.

Osula 6/10 – Same as Traore -for a 20-year-old kid making his debut he did not disgrace himself. Had our two best efforts and he showed a few nice touches. Lacks awareness of where to run and his hold up needs work but his power and pace was shown a few times. He is raw and clearly needs games – probably at League One (remember he could not get in a side at this level last time out) but for now we have no choice and he has to start.

Subs –

Souza – Won a header and a loose ball but not long enough to make an impact. He looks a real unit though.

Slimani – I thought he looked unfit and off the pace last week and was not picked today – so maybe Hecky feels the same if he prefers the midfield above. Got a booking for a poor challenge but again limited time to make an impact.

Larouci – One mistimed header nearly put them in and not sure he is much of an upgrade on Lowe from what I have seen pre-season – so with RND nowhere near – we still need a left wing back. Personally, I would play JLT and Trusty in some combination down there at least short term.

Brooks – Gave it away once but I liked the fact he tried to get on the ball and had a few runs forward with it - which none of the three that started here could or would do. To me I would have started him over one of the three that did. He at least would have given us some energy and running.

Hackford – Not sure he kicked it. After barely being even involved with the u21’s – the fact he is now in the first team squad and being used is remarkable but shows the state of our squad rather than a criticism of him.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – Not sure I can give him any lower due to the fact his hands are seriously tired but tactically I was unsure of the set up today. We did not particularly play on the break nor did we have a way of trying to create? His selection of the three in midfield was forced to some degree but also does not say much about the youngsters/Slimane. However, it is his not his fault he has effectively been forced to play a side that is simply sub-standard for this level.

Palace – It was a stroll really. Thought they were weak too with players missing/moved on and looked at their line up and it was far worse than the one that started versus us a few years ago – on our opening home game. It was a team that I felt looked beatable – till I saw out team! In the end the game began evenly for about 5 minutes but they were much better than us for the rest of the game. They did not have loads of chances but the 3 or 4 good ones after the Osula one – came from them. They started to dominate midfield with runners coming from deep too and they sensed once the initial momentum of the opening minutes and crowd noise wore off, they could just show they were better players and they did. They could have been in front before half time but we stayed in it but then the goal came soon after. Once an away team scores, you expect a reaction from the home side and fans but it was very quiet and the team could not lift themselves. Palace came back on the attack and really could have had a few more. Eze caused problems but with Ayew and Schlup running the channels they had pace to burn. Johnstone did not have a save to make all game – maybe the one weak Norwood shot but that is clutching a bit! The defence was comfortable and the midfield controlled things with Edouard a threat, scoring one and nearly getting another couple. The time ticked by but with us having little in the way of creativity, Palace managed their way to an easy win and only Wes keeps the score down. They are a side that I am not sure finished much higher than 12th or 13th and could be even lower as lack real quality against the better sides but today showed that even sides like them will be too strong for us unless we hugely improve as at times it was quite one sided in terms of possession, physicality and overall ability.

Opponent Man of the Match –The lad Anderson looked class at the back and Guehi is strong. The rest of the defence were assured with the full backs never ran at all game. Edouard scored and others flitted in between but the two lads in midfield dominated. I thought Lerma was by far the best player on the park and watching the likes of mini men like Osborn and Norwood try to get it off him was a hard watch.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They were better man for man in every area.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Frustrating. Felt he gave us little really despite them being physically stronger and quicker which meant we did commit more fouls and got bullied at times due to their superior size/power. However, he was quite fussy on some of ours but less so on some of their fouls. Also, we saw the irritation of players going down way too easily and getting fouls – at least now they have to get up and cannot stay down for treatment (as have to go off) but the ref bought a number. Traore was penalised for barely touching Palace players a few times yet when the same happened the other way he played on. The officials did save us two goals on offsides and were at no way a contributory factor to the defeat but Brooks was inconsistent all game with his calls. I get the Osula one as been told to book them but then Johnstone took an age and he does nothing? The Slimani yellow was harsh but Ahmedhodzic was right to be carded for a cynical foul – another worry as he continues to show ill-discipline.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – A sell-out. Started loud and the Kop/ground got behind the side and knew the over matched side would need us. Felt the fans stayed with the team despite little to shout about but after the goal went in, the energy sort of drained and it was quieter after this. The fans did not get on the teams back at all and knew that they were doing their best but just were not good enough. Palace fans filled the away end and made more noise than they normally do down here – helped by a win of course.
Absolutely accurate , we were promoted 4 months ago but have completely wasted that time and now we are miles behind.
It's not just 4 games - the players who've come in are foreign and naturally need more time to settle.
Then the ones who will arrive at the end of the month will need time to adjust.
How can a manager blend his team under those circs ? Ludicrous.
We will not be optimal until the 8th game or later - does the club not understand that takes us from relegation candidates with a fighting chance to a situation where survival depends on 30 games in the toughest league versus rivals with 38 ?
Not going to argue with any of that, I did think Traore was similar to Jebbo' and about the same level, we need two more strikers!! Anel in my opinion, was Champ' level last season and will be again, last year he did a lot of shirt pulling and got away with it, he won't this year, I think he's really going to struggle this year, never understood how commentators kept rating him so highly, I'm really worried about the amount of work needed to get the squad up to a competitive level, we could easily go a couple of months without winning a game! Hope I'm wrong!! Forest could give us trouncing on Friday night!

I'm a little surprised (on the here overall) at the praise Osula and Traore have got. Osula was easily the pick of the 2, but both were poor and seem to be rated because they were young and inexperienced, which I understand to a point. They both look like there is a player in there, but it might be a while before we see it.
For me, we were crying out for one of the 2 up top to go off and beef up the middle, as early as HT.

Hopefully we won't see that line up start again for the rest of the season. It was a parody of a Sheff Utd team, what all the journos and opposing fans think we are which is workmanlike and lacking quality. Time to shake it up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom