United 0 Palace 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was an opening day defeat for the Blades as Crystal Palace began with a victory after a relatively comfortable afternoon for the Eagles at Bramall Lane. The margin of victory may seem narrow but the reality is the visitors achieved the three points without any real alarm and on another day could and should have won by further goals. The Blades huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring and United’s under cooked starting line up struggled to make any headway all afternoon. Some will point to additions that will be incoming but after such a dreadful start the last time they were at this level, can the Blades afford to throw away a month of fixtures?

It was a chastening experience for many of the players who saw stronger, quicker and better technical players dominate them individually and collectively and the visitors will be disappointed they did not win by a bigger scoreline their domination deserved as they had two goals disallowed and missed numerous other chances. The home side in contrast never tested Sam Johnstone all game with a few shots from young striker Will Osula drifting wide, the sum of their efforts. Edouard scored the only goal just after the break, following a well worked move but the defending was questionable, as it was on several other occasions where Palace got in too easily. United kept going but the lack of quality was clear to see and despite battling till the end, they never seriously looked like getting anything from this fixture. Annoyingly it is a game that we should have been targeting for points and will be seen as manager Paul Heckingbottom said, as a missed opportunity.

After a less than ideal pre season to say the least, United had to name a midfield full of veterans Osborn, Basham and Norwood supplementing a very inexperienced front line of Osula and Traore – both making their full Blades debuts – in the Premier League. Fellow signings, Slimane, Souza and Larouchi were all on the bench. The latest incoming Gustabo Hamer was introduced to the crowd before kick-off.

Palace had also lost a star player in the summer, in Wilfried Zaha and were missing another key man Michael Olise with rumours of a move to Chelsea imminent. They did star Eberechi Eze, despite speculation linking him also with a move away.

The game began in front of a packed crowd at the Lane and United were competing well in the early challenges. The first chance fell to the home side, who had been turned round to kick towards the Kop and Osula’s shot curling effort nicked off a Palace defender before going wide for a corner. After the early exuberance, Palace started to get hold of the ball and control matters. They moved it around the field and United’s experienced but ageing midfield struggled to get hold of the ball. Eze made one enterprising run and then after a good interchange Egan had to make a challenge to stop an opportunity. Palace thought they had the lead when Anderson’s long-range shot was pushed out by Foderingham to Ayew who headed home but the flag was raised to spare the blushes of the United keeper. Edouard then had a chance but Foderingham made the save.

Eze then broke again and Doucoure had an effort saved as Palace started to dominate the game. United were struggling to create anything despite Traore and Osula’s industry although the latter was booked for kicking the ball away as part of the new tougher directive on this element of the game. Palace continued to look more comfortable on the ball and moved it around well as United were being pushed back. The lack of possession and clear structure to the play meant the home fans had to be patient but were still well being their side. Palace with Lerma and Doucoure imposing in midfield were starting to probe but United did enough to get the game to half time level.

After the break, Palace began as they had ended the first half and took a deserved lead on 49 minutes as Palace cut through down the left and the home side failed to pick up the runners. The cross came in from Ayew and EDOUARD swept home with a good finish. Palace were good value for the lead.

The visitors came again soon after and another chance came but Eze was blocked before Edouard really should have scored a second with a header but Foderingham made the save. United had barely got into the Palace half, let alone the final third and the United players looked lacking in belief in how to get back into the game. A lovely move saw the ball played round the back and Edouard converted again but for the second time in the afternoon, the offside flag went up. Schlupp then had a low shot pushed away by Foderingham.

United did have a chance when Traore sprinted down the right and his cross was flashed wide from Osula – the only chance United had made since the opening few minutes. This got the crowd to life at least along with a number of strange and inconsistent refereeing decisions.

United changed things with Slimane, Souza and Larouci coming on with 10 minutes to play for Robinson, Basham and Lowe but Palace continued to look comfortable. They nearly got in again with the dangerous Eze before Foderingham had to make a great save to deny Anderson from a set play. Brooks and Hackford came on as United ended the game with a remarkably young side but despite an additional 5 minutes, they never looked likely to even trouble the Palace backline with Norwood’s poor free kick the only opportunity to do so but was wasted. Palace saw the game out and took the deserved three points.

United – It went about as well as I expected really. The board have completely threw Hecky under the bus for me in the sales being so close to the end of the season without replacements being sought in time. Do not really blame him or the lads that played – not their fault many of them are not at this level or ready for it yet. The fact we started the season with Basham, Osborn and Norwood in midfield is incredible however you dress it up. We had two young kids up top and many of the replacements are not seen as better than the ones that played or nowhere near fitness. I really feel for Hecky as he is having to basically try and keep us competitive with a side/squad that would do well to be middle of the Championship.

Today we started gamely and got stuck in and the crowd got behind them but Palace slowly took over and in the end they really dominated from around 10 minutes in right to the end. Osula had two chances and he and Traore worked hard but they had no service. The midfield was pitiful in that they were out matched in speed, height, strength, fitness and ability. Palace dominated this area. They did not have chance after chance but could have easily scored 3 or 4 goals with 2 offside and a few other poor misses – Wes made a few good saves. United never looked like they might score or even create anything and despite us having a few corners and free kicks, we had no pressure or time in their box at all. It was really easy for Palace and 0-1 flattered us massively. I do not blame the players -they did their best – although a few lads like Norwood and Anel I was really disappointed with.

First half Osula had a half chance but then they got on top and we were a bit lucky with the offside goal but Palace had all the half chances and openings. We did not keep the ball and ended up just tossing it away playing channel balls. I felt for the two young lads up top as they were given nothing. The goal had been coming even before the break and you sensed we did not have the ability or belief to come back. Palace had other chances and we got cut apart a few times in the final half hour. It was not like we were throwing men forward either as we kind of carried on being quite cautious but the reality is if your players cannot keep the ball or carry it (midfield) you will create nothing. The changes came way too late as 10 minutes was enough – not sure why not putting them on 10 or 15 early was not considered? It was an easy (Eze!) and comfortable win for Palace in the end. The fact we ended up with Hackford and Brooks on showed how poor we are in numbers. Hackford barely gets on the bench for the u23s last season and now is playing in the Premier League!

I am pleased with the Hamer signing but this basically offsets the Berge departure (granted might be better) and we have no sign of any strikers coming in yet? The others we have signed it worries me they were not considered better than JLT (Trusty), Lowe (Larouci) and Norwood/Osborn/Bash (Slimani). I saw the latter two against Stuttgart and their performances were a concern in both ability and overall fitness levels where they struggled with the power and pace of their opponents. If they aren’t better than those I mentioned why have we signed them – granted Souza may need a bit of time as not trained much at all.

I keep hearing wait till the end of August and this will not be our team – but then what- we have to wait till the new lads get up to fitness or integrate? We have in my mind tossed away the opening 3 or 4 games. I hear people saying Forest and Everton could offer us points but they are of a similar level to Palace (lost Zaha and Olise) in my opinion. Today was a game with a proper side put out (we have had 4 months to sort out the Ndiaye and Berge situation and get replacements in of they go) we get a draw or even win. Palace were miles better but they will be quite near the bottom in my opinion despite Hodgson being an experienced manager.

I get the above may seem negative and as I say the result went about how I expected but the fact we had the players starting we did without replacements in and ready is completely down to the club and how badly they have prepared for the toughest league in the world. Maybe we might have 3 or 4 in by the end of the month. I actually feel we need more looking at the left wing back area and the number of injuries with McBurnie/Jebbison/Brewster/Coulibaly/ RND/Bogle all proving incredibly injury prone and many not close to a return. The bench today as a bit embarrassing (no criticism of the kids on there). However, I stand by the fact we are miles off where we need to be. The club seem to have performed like it is fantasy football and you can just plug and play people but surely the coaching staff need time – that is maybe shown despite my concerns they did not start; around some of the newcomers not starting?

Forest will not be easy as another side that still had more continuity and quality than us but one we should be looking at as a possible game to get points but like today the lack of preparation will mean it will hard. We may only see one or two newcomers in for this but we have to look at the midfield being completely changed as the team put out today will not have many efforts let alone goals. Then we have City. So already we are under pressure if we do not get anything next Friday.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – Our best player. He made a mess of one punch out on the offside goal first half but then he had no chance on the goal and made 2 or 3 good saves to keep the score down after this. The one from Anderson at the end was superb.

Baldock 6/10 – Tried hard but did not get forward much. He did ok defensively and we were certainly better on this side. Seemed to pull up late on so hope it is cramp as Hecky said rather than anything more serious.

Lowe 4/10 – He started ok first half – no real issues with his defending and he got stuck in but started to unravel just before the break when he let his man get past him and then second half miles off it on the goal – others were at fault too. He got involved in a daft scuffle with Hodgson too. He then gave it away two or three times after and the occasion the lad completely skinned him showed his limitations. The new lad cannot be great if Lowe has been preferred as he is nowhere near good enough at this level.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Did ok I felt at times but then he was ball watching once when they nearly got in and I felt the ball down the channel of the left second half showed why him and Lowe are just not at the level we need sadly. He tried hard and got stuck in but showed today athletes and pace will cause him problems.

Ahmedhodzic 4/10 – Thought he, along with Lowe, was the worst of the backline and the whole game seemed to be at full stretch. Thought he would show his quality on the ball and his composure but got caught a few times and was careless with the ball to start. This carried on all game. Never really got in their half and then defensively he was too slow to react. The goal he has not gone with his man and as poor as the build up is, he does nothing to stop the finish. Must be a lot better- being one of our so-called key men.

Egan 5.5/10 – He was ok I felt and at least was one of the few who won a few headers. He did head one over when well placed and then got turned once but not sure he made any glaring errors. It did worry me that we should be strong on set plays and they won a lot of headers from these?

Norwood 3/10 – Thought he was woeful and comfortably our worst player. Never kept the ball all game and just tossed it away. Did not put his foot on it and then lost the battles second half as they dominated this area. We needed him to be a calming influence but he was anonymous for the most part and showed why he struggles at this level due to the size/running of opponents. However, he did have opportunities in set play and general play but wasted them all.

Basham 4/10 – Ran around and at least put his foot in a few times but he looked out of his depth at a position he has barely played at for a season or so, never mind the top level. His game used to be based on his running power/fitness and ability to get around the field. These days he does not really do that looks like a holding midfielder but one who cannot press much nor offer much on the ball. Love the guy but he should only be really used as a back-up – as a defender,

Osborn 4/10 – As above, ran around and tried but woefully lacking in the ability to impose himself with or without the ball. As the game went on he regressed more and more. The goal Lowe is out of position, he goes across but then lets the cross come in easily. Nice lad and a trier but barely a starter in the league below.

Traore 6/10 – Worked hard and despite giving away several fouls (some were cheap I felt and harsh) he at least tried to put them under pressure. Made the chance for Osula but then messed up another chance to feed him. He did at least cover some ground but was barely given a pass to his feet all game. He is very slight though and you worry how much ball he will see – he hardly saw any today against one of the poorer sides. He at least showed a few moments.

Osula 6/10 – Same as Traore -for a 20-year-old kid making his debut he did not disgrace himself. Had our two best efforts and he showed a few nice touches. Lacks awareness of where to run and his hold up needs work but his power and pace was shown a few times. He is raw and clearly needs games – probably at League One (remember he could not get in a side at this level last time out) but for now we have no choice and he has to start.

Subs –

Souza – Won a header and a loose ball but not long enough to make an impact. He looks a real unit though.

Slimani – I thought he looked unfit and off the pace last week and was not picked today – so maybe Hecky feels the same if he prefers the midfield above. Got a booking for a poor challenge but again limited time to make an impact.

Larouci – One mistimed header nearly put them in and not sure he is much of an upgrade on Lowe from what I have seen pre-season – so with RND nowhere near – we still need a left wing back. Personally, I would play JLT and Trusty in some combination down there at least short term.

Brooks – Gave it away once but I liked the fact he tried to get on the ball and had a few runs forward with it - which none of the three that started here could or would do. To me I would have started him over one of the three that did. He at least would have given us some energy and running.

Hackford – Not sure he kicked it. After barely being even involved with the u21’s – the fact he is now in the first team squad and being used is remarkable but shows the state of our squad rather than a criticism of him.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – Not sure I can give him any lower due to the fact his hands are seriously tired but tactically I was unsure of the set up today. We did not particularly play on the break nor did we have a way of trying to create? His selection of the three in midfield was forced to some degree but also does not say much about the youngsters/Slimane. However, it is his not his fault he has effectively been forced to play a side that is simply sub-standard for this level.

Palace – It was a stroll really. Thought they were weak too with players missing/moved on and looked at their line up and it was far worse than the one that started versus us a few years ago – on our opening home game. It was a team that I felt looked beatable – till I saw out team! In the end the game began evenly for about 5 minutes but they were much better than us for the rest of the game. They did not have loads of chances but the 3 or 4 good ones after the Osula one – came from them. They started to dominate midfield with runners coming from deep too and they sensed once the initial momentum of the opening minutes and crowd noise wore off, they could just show they were better players and they did. They could have been in front before half time but we stayed in it but then the goal came soon after. Once an away team scores, you expect a reaction from the home side and fans but it was very quiet and the team could not lift themselves. Palace came back on the attack and really could have had a few more. Eze caused problems but with Ayew and Schlup running the channels they had pace to burn. Johnstone did not have a save to make all game – maybe the one weak Norwood shot but that is clutching a bit! The defence was comfortable and the midfield controlled things with Edouard a threat, scoring one and nearly getting another couple. The time ticked by but with us having little in the way of creativity, Palace managed their way to an easy win and only Wes keeps the score down. They are a side that I am not sure finished much higher than 12th or 13th and could be even lower as lack real quality against the better sides but today showed that even sides like them will be too strong for us unless we hugely improve as at times it was quite one sided in terms of possession, physicality and overall ability.

Opponent Man of the Match –The lad Anderson looked class at the back and Guehi is strong. The rest of the defence were assured with the full backs never ran at all game. Edouard scored and others flitted in between but the two lads in midfield dominated. I thought Lerma was by far the best player on the park and watching the likes of mini men like Osborn and Norwood try to get it off him was a hard watch.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They were better man for man in every area.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Frustrating. Felt he gave us little really despite them being physically stronger and quicker which meant we did commit more fouls and got bullied at times due to their superior size/power. However, he was quite fussy on some of ours but less so on some of their fouls. Also, we saw the irritation of players going down way too easily and getting fouls – at least now they have to get up and cannot stay down for treatment (as have to go off) but the ref bought a number. Traore was penalised for barely touching Palace players a few times yet when the same happened the other way he played on. The officials did save us two goals on offsides and were at no way a contributory factor to the defeat but Brooks was inconsistent all game with his calls. I get the Osula one as been told to book them but then Johnstone took an age and he does nothing? The Slimani yellow was harsh but Ahmedhodzic was right to be carded for a cynical foul – another worry as he continues to show ill-discipline.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – A sell-out. Started loud and the Kop/ground got behind the side and knew the over matched side would need us. Felt the fans stayed with the team despite little to shout about but after the goal went in, the energy sort of drained and it was quieter after this. The fans did not get on the teams back at all and knew that they were doing their best but just were not good enough. Palace fans filled the away end and made more noise than they normally do down here – helped by a win of course.

Good report. Slimane looks way off the pace fitness wise and isn’t mobile. Not convinced - we need more in midfield.

You clearly watched a different game and revel in low scoring.Guessing it makes you feel informed and superior

A depressing read but accurate summation of the game as always DB. The midfield 3 were poor throughout. Welcome to the bigger boys league. It was like the Harry Enfield sketch where the bigger boys come round and bully the little sprogs of Osborn, Lowe, Norwood etc. We never laid a glove on them in the middle and the manager has to take some criticism for leaving it so long before making changes. At least with Slimane Brooks and Sousa on we had big units who
could compete physically.

Baldock best outfield player for me with Wes keeping the score down.

Of concern was the number of times they won headers in our box especially down our left where they nearly scored twice. Really disappointed we did not see Trusty come on. 6 foot 3 good header of a ball and pacy. Everything that was missing down there. I really hope we are not going to side line him for JLT.

Agree that the manager has been let down off the field. He stated a number of times the need to get resources in early and repeated the sentiment post match. Whats done is done Board need to get new bodies over the line this week. Going into another game with same midfield 3 will be waving a white flag before a ball is kicked.

agree with most of that especially this

if your players cannot keep the ball or carry it (midfield) you will create nothing.“

I disagree with a couple of the ratings

Norwood was one of a few who actually kept composure and tried to keep the ball on the deck playing to feet. 5/10

Egan was bad and almost gifted them a goal but robbo saved him. Partly responsible for the goal. Also kept smashing it long or out of play regardless of pressure needlessly wasting possession. 3/10

Ousala (6) comfortably better than benie (4) who ran around a bit but i felt didnt offer anything. Partly due to his service.

Norwood 3/10 – Thought he was woeful and comfortably our worst player. Never kept the ball all game and just tossed it away. Did not put his foot on it and then lost the battles second half as they dominated this area. We needed him to be a calming influence but he was anonymous for the most part and showed why he struggles at this level due to the size/running of opponents. However, he did have opportunities in set play and general play but wasted them all.

I thought he was the only one of our players that was actually up to mark today. Norwood was top for touches, passes, key passes, crosses and shots on target, so I completely disagree that he was anonymous. Compare his stats with Osborn’s!

I thought he was the only one of our players that was actually up to mark today. Norwood was top for touches, passes, key passes, crosses and shots on target, so I completely disagree that he was anonymous. Compare his stats with Osborn’s!
I thought it was a toss up between him, Osborn and Bash who was worse. They failed to keep the ball, did not break-up play and gave the strikers nothing. Sometimes stats don't always tell the full story. Norwood was the one who is supposed to be the one who keeps it and can take a decent set play. I felt he failed to do that at all today.

agree with most of that especially this

if your players cannot keep the ball or carry it (midfield) you will create nothing.“

I disagree with a couple of the ratings

Norwood was one of a few who actually kept composure and tried to keep the ball on the deck playing to feet. 5/10

Egan was bad and almost gifted them a goal but robbo saved him. Partly responsible for the goal. Also kept smashing it long or out of play regardless of pressure needlessly wasting possession. 3/10

Ousala (6) comfortably better than benie (4) who ran around a bit but i felt didnt offer anything. Partly due to his service.
I thought Traore at least harried and pressed. He had 2 or 3 ok runs too. As you say no service at all due to our dreadful midfield

I thought it was a toss up between him, Osborn and Bash who was worse. They failed to keep the ball, did not break-up play and gave the strikers nothing. Sometimes stats don't always tell the full story. Norwood was the one who is supposed to be the one who keeps it and can take a decent set play. I felt he failed to do that at all today.

Fair enough. Our only decent chance came from his lovely pass through to Traore (who then set up Osula). Nobody else created anything even vaguely close to getting behind Palace. He didn’t defend well, I’ll definitely grant that.

I reckon we both agree that today’s midfield was probably as poor a midfield as any Premier League team has put out for 15 years.

Osborn is a strange one as he played fairly well by his standards, worked hard and did a few good things but also did some inexplicably shit things almost immediately after to cancel out his good stuff.
I don't think Norwood was that bad for most of the game but some of his passing was ridiculously wasteful going for Hollywood balls that were never on and the couple of shots he had were pathetic.
Lowe was OK in the first half apart from being a bit narrow sometimes, but on the goal he was slow to get back, then eventually was almost man-marking Osborn rather than doing anything to stop the Palace guy putting a cross in, and was a complete shambles after that, eventually pretending to be injured to get subbed off rather than being hauled off for being shit like he deserved.

Everyone else did the best they could (apart from Anel on the goal). The defence worked very hard covering for each other when they were struggling, even if it was a bit of a scrappy mess at times. Osula overdid the stepovers and seems to need a goal two foot wider either side but he's playing at least one division above his level so expecting him to do much better than he did was unlikely.

Sorry for the slight highjack but surprised to see you didn't mention Laroucci's sub warm up routine. I am sure everyone's favourite warm up monitor Bert Enjoyed it. The edited highlights include walking, jogging without raising his knees and talking to Clyne. His pre match warm up was the same pathetic pace. Maybe explains the extra kilos and presumably our fitness guy has loads of work on his hands...

I was shocked when I saw the midfield 3 on the team sheet, the team we put out today would struggle to stay in the Championship
So many injuries again
Unfortunately Palace an established PL side, had a very comfortable win, should have won by more in reality, we only had a long ball game to attack them
Hopefully we can get the new players fit and playing asap

Thought palace looked an established premier league team with established, experienced premier league players. They weren’t great by any stretch but were pretty comfortable throughout.
Osula needs game time, I think there is a real player in there. Same with Traore. We just need an experienced striker to partner either of them.
Other than that, as predicted really, I just hope that in a couple of weeks, our starting lineup offers a threat up top with some guile and grit.
It showed how far players like Osborn, Lowe, fleck (I know he didn’t play), Norwood and maybe even Egan, are off from being proper premier league players.
This game was entirely winnable and I fear that all our fannying about in the transfer market will cost us precious points in this opening month.
Let’s hope that we look a different prospect this time next month.

Bang on especially about Norwood I thought we would have targeted Palace with set pieces today and tried to make them count.

But Norwood was absolutely abysmal at set pieces, we need to bring someone in now that can take his place because he is not good enough at this level.

So pleased this match wasn't on Sky.
We would have received so many negative comments about being the worse team ever to play in the PL etc.

We've lost all our 4 creative players from last season N'Diaye, Berge, McAtee, Doyle.
So it was no surprise really that at no time did we seriously threaten to score, no pressure, no nothing really

Reminded me of when a PL teams draws a league 1 team in the FA cup.
Yes we were that bad, non even mid Championship standard and today is probably one of the worse teams we've put out for several years.

Praise to the players for at least trying and keeping the scoreline respectable.
They were probably 3 goals better than us.....so felt quite pleased we only lost 0-1.

Todays team is nailed on to finish bottom but I'm still reasonably confident we'll stay up
because I believe we'll bring in a few more signings as good as the Hamer signing.

Fair assessment. Watched the game on TV (delayed as in LA) and we didn't embarrass ourselves but I'd hate to think the result had we played a quality team away.

Interestingly had osulas shot gone in we could have held out for a 1-nil win. Strange times.

I'd suggest our lineup and style will be vastly different once Mcburnie fit (he's a leader) and Hamer/Souza are playing plus a new midfielder. I'd stick with Osula as I have a feeling he's going to be an absolute superstar.

It’s weird, I came away thinking we probably could have had a point and that despite possibly fielding the worst ever PL team in its history we did ok in a ‘cup tie’ type way.

Let’s face it, with that starting lineup we should have lost 3 or 4 nil and will do against better teams if we lineup the same again.

We’re going to have to wait 5 or 6 games for us to get a settled and semi-competitive side I think, the main thing is whether we’ll create more than 0.5 xG of chances every game.

We had a punchers chance of a goal today with the midfield and forward lines being miles apart.

Thought Baldock was our standout outfield player. Lerma was theirs but Ayew gave Lowe a torrid time as well.

Hopefully we can only improve from here. Looking forward to seeing Hamer.

Thanks DB, couldn’t make the game today so appreciate the Tony PRITCHETT style Green ‘Un match report.

One other thing, having seen Traore on the highlights, he reminded me of Richard Cadette….

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – Our best player. He made a mess of one punch out on the offside goal first half but then he had no chance on the goal and made 2 or 3 good saves to keep the score down after this. The one from Anderson at the end was superb.

Baldock 6/10 – Tried hard but did not get forward much. He did ok defensively and we were certainly better on this side. Seemed to pull up late on so hope it is cramp as Hecky said rather than anything more serious.

Lowe 4/10 – He started ok first half – no real issues with his defending and he got stuck in but started to unravel just before the break when he let his man get past him and then second half miles off it on the goal – others were at fault too. He got involved in a daft scuffle with Hodgson too. He then gave it away two or three times after and the occasion the lad completely skinned him showed his limitations. The new lad cannot be great if Lowe has been preferred as he is nowhere near good enough at this level.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Did ok I felt at times but then he was ball watching once when they nearly got in and I felt the ball down the channel of the left second half showed why him and Lowe are just not at the level we need sadly. He tried hard and got stuck in but showed today athletes and pace will cause him problems.

Ahmedhodzic 4/10 – Thought he, along with Lowe, was the worst of the backline and the whole game seemed to be at full stretch. Thought he would show his quality on the ball and his composure but got caught a few times and was careless with the ball to start. This carried on all game. Never really got in their half and then defensively he was too slow to react. The goal he has not gone with his man and as poor as the build up is, he does nothing to stop the finish. Must be a lot better- being one of our so-called key men.

Egan 5.5/10 – He was ok I felt and at least was one of the few who won a few headers. He did head one over when well placed and then got turned once but not sure he made any glaring errors. It did worry me that we should be strong on set plays and they won a lot of headers from these?

Basham 4/10 – Ran around and at least put his foot in a few times but he looked out of his depth at a position he has barely played at for a season or so, never mind the top level. His game used to be based on his running power/fitness and ability to get around the field. These days he does not really do that looks like a holding midfielder but one who cannot press much nor offer much on the ball. Love the guy but he should only be really used as a back-up – as a defender,

Osborn 4/10 – As above, ran around and tried but woefully lacking in the ability to impose himself with or without the ball. As the game went on he regressed more and more. The goal Lowe is out of position, he goes across but then lets the cross come in easily. Nice lad and a trier but barely a starter in the league below.

Traore 6/10 – Worked hard and despite giving away several fouls (some were cheap I felt and harsh) he at least tried to put them under pressure. Made the chance for Osula but then messed up another chance to feed him. He did at least cover some ground but was barely given a pass to his feet all game. He is very slight though and you worry how much ball he will see – he hardly saw any today against one of the poorer sides. He at least showed a few moments.

Osula 6/10 – Same as Traore -for a 20-year-old kid making his debut he did not disgrace himself. Had our two best efforts and he showed a few nice touches. Lacks awareness of where to run and his hold up needs work but his power and pace was shown a few times. He is raw and clearly needs games – probably at League One (remember he could not get in a side at this level last time out) but for now we have no choice and he has to start.

Subs –

Souza – Won a header and a loose ball but not long enough to make an impact. He looks a real unit though.

Slimani – I thought he looked unfit and off the pace last week and was not picked today – so maybe Hecky feels the same if he prefers the midfield above. Got a booking for a poor challenge but again limited time to make an impact.

Larouci – One mistimed header nearly put them in and not sure he is much of an upgrade on Lowe from what I have seen pre-season – so with RND nowhere near – we still need a left wing back. Personally, I would play JLT and Trusty in some combination down there at least short term.

Brooks – Gave it away once but I liked the fact he tried to get on the ball and had a few runs forward with it - which none of the three that started here could or would do. To me I would have started him over one of the three that did. He at least would have given us some energy and running.

Hackford – Not sure he kicked it. After barely being even involved with the u21’s – the fact he is now in the first team squad and being used is remarkable but shows the state of our squad rather than a criticism of him.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – Not sure I can give him any lower due to the fact his hands are seriously tired but tactically I was unsure of the set up today. We did not particularly play on the break nor did we have a way of trying to create? His selection of the three in midfield was forced to some degree but also does not say much about the youngsters/Slimane. However, it is his not his fault he has effectively been forced to play a side that is simply sub-standard for this level.

Palace – It was a stroll really. Thought they were weak too with players missing/moved on and looked at their line up and it was far worse than the one that started versus us a few years ago – on our opening home game. It was a team that I felt looked beatable – till I saw out team! In the end the game began evenly for about 5 minutes but they were much better than us for the rest of the game. They did not have loads of chances but the 3 or 4 good ones after the Osula one – came from them. They started to dominate midfield with runners coming from deep too and they sensed once the initial momentum of the opening minutes and crowd noise wore off, they could just show they were better players and they did. They could have been in front before half time but we stayed in it but then the goal came soon after. Once an away team scores, you expect a reaction from the home side and fans but it was very quiet and the team could not lift themselves. Palace came back on the attack and really could have had a few more. Eze caused problems but with Ayew and Schlup running the channels they had pace to burn. Johnstone did not have a save to make all game – maybe the one weak Norwood shot but that is clutching a bit! The defence was comfortable and the midfield controlled things with Edouard a threat, scoring one and nearly getting another couple. The time ticked by but with us having little in the way of creativity, Palace managed their way to an easy win and only Wes keeps the score down. They are a side that I am not sure finished much higher than 12th or 13th and could be even lower as lack real quality against the better sides but today showed that even sides like them will be too strong for us unless we hugely improve as at times it was quite one sided in terms of possession, physicality and overall ability.

Opponent Man of the Match –The lad Anderson looked class at the back and Guehi is strong. The rest of the defence were assured with the full backs never ran at all game. Edouard scored and others flitted in between but the two lads in midfield dominated. I thought Lerma was by far the best player on the park and watching the likes of mini men like Osborn and Norwood try to get it off him was a hard watch.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They were better man for man in every area.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Frustrating. Felt he gave us little really despite them being physically stronger and quicker which meant we did commit more fouls and got bullied at times due to their superior size/power. However, he was quite fussy on some of ours but less so on some of their fouls. Also, we saw the irritation of players going down way too easily and getting fouls – at least now they have to get up and cannot stay down for treatment (as have to go off) but the ref bought a number. Traore was penalised for barely touching Palace players a few times yet when the same happened the other way he played on. The officials did save us two goals on offsides and were at no way a contributory factor to the defeat but Brooks was inconsistent all game with his calls. I get the Osula one as been told to book them but then Johnstone took an age and he does nothing? The Slimani yellow was harsh but Ahmedhodzic was right to be carded for a cynical foul – another worry as he continues to show ill-discipline.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – A sell-out. Started loud and the Kop/ground got behind the side and knew the over matched side would need us. Felt the fans stayed with the team despite little to shout about but after the goal went in, the energy sort of drained and it was quieter after this. The fans did not get on the teams back at all and knew that they were doing their best but just were not good enough. Palace fans filled the away end and made more noise than they normally do down here – helped by a win of course.
Thanks mate - In Portugal so great to read these reports

It was an opening day defeat for the Blades as Crystal Palace began with a victory after a relatively comfortable afternoon for the Eagles at Bramall Lane. The margin of victory may seem narrow but the reality is the visitors achieved the three points without any real alarm and on another day could and should have won by further goals. The Blades huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring and United’s under cooked starting line up struggled to make any headway all afternoon. Some will point to additions that will be incoming but after such a dreadful start the last time they were at this level, can the Blades afford to throw away a month of fixtures?

It was a chastening experience for many of the players who saw stronger, quicker and better technical players dominate them individually and collectively and the visitors will be disappointed they did not win by a bigger scoreline their domination deserved as they had two goals disallowed and missed numerous other chances. The home side in contrast never tested Sam Johnstone all game with a few shots from young striker Will Osula drifting wide, the sum of their efforts. Edouard scored the only goal just after the break, following a well worked move but the defending was questionable, as it was on several other occasions where Palace got in too easily. United kept going but the lack of quality was clear to see and despite battling till the end, they never seriously looked like getting anything from this fixture. Annoyingly it is a game that we should have been targeting for points and will be seen as manager Paul Heckingbottom said, as a missed opportunity.

After a less than ideal pre season to say the least, United had to name a midfield full of veterans Osborn, Basham and Norwood supplementing a very inexperienced front line of Osula and Traore – both making their full Blades debuts – in the Premier League. Fellow signings, Slimane, Souza and Larouchi were all on the bench. The latest incoming Gustabo Hamer was introduced to the crowd before kick-off.

Palace had also lost a star player in the summer, in Wilfried Zaha and were missing another key man Michael Olise with rumours of a move to Chelsea imminent. They did star Eberechi Eze, despite speculation linking him also with a move away.

The game began in front of a packed crowd at the Lane and United were competing well in the early challenges. The first chance fell to the home side, who had been turned round to kick towards the Kop and Osula’s shot curling effort nicked off a Palace defender before going wide for a corner. After the early exuberance, Palace started to get hold of the ball and control matters. They moved it around the field and United’s experienced but ageing midfield struggled to get hold of the ball. Eze made one enterprising run and then after a good interchange Egan had to make a challenge to stop an opportunity. Palace thought they had the lead when Anderson’s long-range shot was pushed out by Foderingham to Ayew who headed home but the flag was raised to spare the blushes of the United keeper. Edouard then had a chance but Foderingham made the save.

Eze then broke again and Doucoure had an effort saved as Palace started to dominate the game. United were struggling to create anything despite Traore and Osula’s industry although the latter was booked for kicking the ball away as part of the new tougher directive on this element of the game. Palace continued to look more comfortable on the ball and moved it around well as United were being pushed back. The lack of possession and clear structure to the play meant the home fans had to be patient but were still well being their side. Palace with Lerma and Doucoure imposing in midfield were starting to probe but United did enough to get the game to half time level.

After the break, Palace began as they had ended the first half and took a deserved lead on 49 minutes as Palace cut through down the left and the home side failed to pick up the runners. The cross came in from Ayew and EDOUARD swept home with a good finish. Palace were good value for the lead.

The visitors came again soon after and another chance came but Eze was blocked before Edouard really should have scored a second with a header but Foderingham made the save. United had barely got into the Palace half, let alone the final third and the United players looked lacking in belief in how to get back into the game. A lovely move saw the ball played round the back and Edouard converted again but for the second time in the afternoon, the offside flag went up. Schlupp then had a low shot pushed away by Foderingham.

United did have a chance when Traore sprinted down the right and his cross was flashed wide from Osula – the only chance United had made since the opening few minutes. This got the crowd to life at least along with a number of strange and inconsistent refereeing decisions.

United changed things with Slimane, Souza and Larouci coming on with 10 minutes to play for Robinson, Basham and Lowe but Palace continued to look comfortable. They nearly got in again with the dangerous Eze before Foderingham had to make a great save to deny Anderson from a set play. Brooks and Hackford came on as United ended the game with a remarkably young side but despite an additional 5 minutes, they never looked likely to even trouble the Palace backline with Norwood’s poor free kick the only opportunity to do so but was wasted. Palace saw the game out and took the deserved three points.

United – It went about as well as I expected really. The board have completely threw Hecky under the bus for me in the sales being so close to the end of the season without replacements being sought in time. Do not really blame him or the lads that played – not their fault many of them are not at this level or ready for it yet. The fact we started the season with Basham, Osborn and Norwood in midfield is incredible however you dress it up. We had two young kids up top and many of the replacements are not seen as better than the ones that played or nowhere near fitness. I really feel for Hecky as he is having to basically try and keep us competitive with a side/squad that would do well to be middle of the Championship.

Today we started gamely and got stuck in and the crowd got behind them but Palace slowly took over and in the end they really dominated from around 10 minutes in right to the end. Osula had two chances and he and Traore worked hard but they had no service. The midfield was pitiful in that they were out matched in speed, height, strength, fitness and ability. Palace dominated this area. They did not have chance after chance but could have easily scored 3 or 4 goals with 2 offside and a few other poor misses – Wes made a few good saves. United never looked like they might score or even create anything and despite us having a few corners and free kicks, we had no pressure or time in their box at all. It was really easy for Palace and 0-1 flattered us massively. I do not blame the players -they did their best – although a few lads like Norwood and Anel I was really disappointed with.

First half Osula had a half chance but then they got on top and we were a bit lucky with the offside goal but Palace had all the half chances and openings. We did not keep the ball and ended up just tossing it away playing channel balls. I felt for the two young lads up top as they were given nothing. The goal had been coming even before the break and you sensed we did not have the ability or belief to come back. Palace had other chances and we got cut apart a few times in the final half hour. It was not like we were throwing men forward either as we kind of carried on being quite cautious but the reality is if your players cannot keep the ball or carry it (midfield) you will create nothing. The changes came way too late as 10 minutes was enough – not sure why not putting them on 10 or 15 early was not considered? It was an easy (Eze!) and comfortable win for Palace in the end. The fact we ended up with Hackford and Brooks on showed how poor we are in numbers. Hackford barely gets on the bench for the u23s last season and now is playing in the Premier League!

I am pleased with the Hamer signing but this basically offsets the Berge departure (granted might be better) and we have no sign of any strikers coming in yet? The others we have signed it worries me they were not considered better than JLT (Trusty), Lowe (Larouci) and Norwood/Osborn/Bash (Slimani). I saw the latter two against Stuttgart and their performances were a concern in both ability and overall fitness levels where they struggled with the power and pace of their opponents. If they aren’t better than those I mentioned why have we signed them – granted Souza may need a bit of time as not trained much at all.

I keep hearing wait till the end of August and this will not be our team – but then what- we have to wait till the new lads get up to fitness or integrate? We have in my mind tossed away the opening 3 or 4 games. I hear people saying Forest and Everton could offer us points but they are of a similar level to Palace (lost Zaha and Olise) in my opinion. Today was a game with a proper side put out (we have had 4 months to sort out the Ndiaye and Berge situation and get replacements in of they go) we get a draw or even win. Palace were miles better but they will be quite near the bottom in my opinion despite Hodgson being an experienced manager.

I get the above may seem negative and as I say the result went about how I expected but the fact we had the players starting we did without replacements in and ready is completely down to the club and how badly they have prepared for the toughest league in the world. Maybe we might have 3 or 4 in by the end of the month. I actually feel we need more looking at the left wing back area and the number of injuries with McBurnie/Jebbison/Brewster/Coulibaly/ RND/Bogle all proving incredibly injury prone and many not close to a return. The bench today as a bit embarrassing (no criticism of the kids on there). However, I stand by the fact we are miles off where we need to be. The club seem to have performed like it is fantasy football and you can just plug and play people but surely the coaching staff need time – that is maybe shown despite my concerns they did not start; around some of the newcomers not starting?

Forest will not be easy as another side that still had more continuity and quality than us but one we should be looking at as a possible game to get points but like today the lack of preparation will mean it will hard. We may only see one or two newcomers in for this but we have to look at the midfield being completely changed as the team put out today will not have many efforts let alone goals. Then we have City. So already we are under pressure if we do not get anything next Friday.
We’ll beat Forest.

You clearly watched a different game and revel in low scoring.Guessing it makes you feel informed and superior
??? He gets off his arse and he does this week in and week out and people like me love him for doing it......... its a game where we all have opinions - Oli Norwood is my favourite player and I always defend him in my area of the Kop ... he got a '3' today .......... but its not me giving the ratings and I love his detailed reports

And why was Larouci marking the big Centre Half Anderson at the free kick?
Hardly surprising he got a free header that Wes saved well.

Absolutely accurate , we were promoted 4 months ago but have completely wasted that time and now we are miles behind.
It's not just 4 games - the players who've come in are foreign and naturally need more time to settle.
Then the ones who will arrive at the end of the month will need time to adjust.
How can a manager blend his team under those circs ? Ludicrous.
We will not be optimal until the 8th game or later - does the club not understand that takes us from relegation candidates with a fighting chance to a situation where survival depends on 30 games in the toughest league versus rivals with 38 ?

Back
Top Bottom