Unfit, overweight players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hillsboro Blade

Reaction score
I’m disgusted this season watching unfit, overweight players huffing and puffing and looking like they’re about to spew after running 10 yards. The management, conditioning and fitness teams down at the Lane should be ashamed of themselves. If I was this inept, lazy and careless in my work I would get the sack. I’m getting the impression that the ‘Wilder Mafia’ are continuing to think that they can do what they want with no repercussions. John Fleck has been an absolute disgrace this season along with several others fitness wise. What the fuck are the conditioning team doing all week? How can these wasters have any pride in the shirt when they obviously take no pride in themselves?

Who are these overweight players you’ve apparently seen?
I’m disgusted this season watching unfit, overweight players huffing and puffing and looking like they’re about to spew after running 10 yards. The management, conditioning and fitness teams down at the Lane should be ashamed of themselves. If I was this inept, lazy and careless in my work I would get the sack. I’m getting the impression that the ‘Wilder Mafia’ are continuing to think that they can do what they want with no repercussions. John Fleck has been an absolute disgrace this season along with several others fitness wise. What the fuck are the conditioning team doing all week? How can these wasters have any pride in the shirt when they obviously take no pride in themselves?

Well we've only 3 games left so you won't wait long.

I think this is the covid effect that and many of our squad have had or are perhaps not as fit as they could be because of injuries.
Off the top of my head only Ramsdale, Lundstram, Norwood and maybe McGoldrick haven't had injuries that have put them out for 2-3 weeks or more out of our usual squads and lineups.
In fact when you think of that alone that's kind of bonkers.

I'm not one for blasting them either. Same with wilder. This season has not been a normal one.

Whilst some players are clearly not looking right, I actually think that “unfit” is an extremely harsh accusation to put to this team/ squad.

Theres definitely one or two exceptions who’ve perhaps bulked more than they should, but difficult to know without looking at their data to whether this is detrimental to them.

Something that I found really bizarre in the fall out from Wilders dismissal is that the club relieved almost the entire back room of their duties.

One of the great successes of the Wilder era was the fitness of the side. We were never at our peak in august, when some teams came back, but we peaked during the key part of the season either when there was a large number of games (Xmas for example) and the latter part of the season

Matt Prestridge was absolutely vital to this.

Contrary to what some fans like to think, you can be physically at your peak for the 9 months of the season. It can however be managed

The amount of data that the club has collected and collated on each player over the last two seasons will show when they’ve peaked and when they’ve fallen off a cliff.

Two/ three major factors at play for me:
A) we tried to carry on at full tilt during lockdown with wilder wanting the side fully at it for that first game back
B) a small squad got smaller during this season with injuries, players that you’d like to give rest to weren’t able to get it (bash, Egan, fleck, Norwood, Lundstram, Baldock, Steven’s). Plus the new signings weren’t ready for our game (Brewster, Berge, bogle)
C) no proper off season. As much as preseason brings you back towards peaking its just as vital to allow the body to recover for a period of several weeks.

the lockdown, restart, short offseason and then a bizarre season have all contributed to what we see now. The players aren’t so much unfit, but have been pushed to their limits and beyond in some cases.

The drop off from fleck, Norwood, Lundstram and Egan has been so clear. Yes they’re out of form, but they have looked so flat out.

Osbornes energy now looks to be much higher than those around him and it’s certainly been clear from his heat maps that he’s got around the pitch, but we haven’t had enough replacements like him.

If we had another storming season like last year perhaps we’d have seen the players able to raise themselves more.

Whilst some players are clearly not looking right, I actually think that “unfit” is an extremely harsh accusation to put to this team/ squad.

Theres definitely one or two exceptions who’ve perhaps bulked more than they should, but difficult to know without looking at their data to whether this is detrimental to them.

Something that I found really bizarre in the fall out from Wilders dismissal is that the club relieved almost the entire back room of their duties.

One of the great successes of the Wilder era was the fitness of the side. We were never at our peak in august, when some teams came back, but we peaked during the key part of the season either when there was a large number of games (Xmas for example) and the latter part of the season

Contrary to what some fans like to think, you can be physically at your peak for the 9 months of the season. It can however be managed

The amount of data that the club has collected and collated on each player over the last two seasons will show when they’ve peaked and when they’ve fallen off a cliff.

A) we tried to carry on at full tilt during lockdown with wilder wanting the side fully at it for that first game back
B) a small squad got smaller during this season with injuries, players that you’d like to give rest to weren’t able to get it (bash, Egan, fleck, Norwood, Lundstram, Baldock, Steven’s). Plus the new signings weren’t ready for our game (Brewster, Berge, bogle)
C) no proper off season. As much as preseason brings you back towards peaking its just as vital to allow the body to recover for a period of several weeks.

the lockdown, restart, short offseason and then a bizarre season have all contributed to what we see now. The players aren’t so much unfit, but have been pushed to their limits and beyond in some cases.

The drop off from fleck, Norwood, Lundstram and Egan has been so clear. Yes they’re out of form, but they have looked so flat out.

Osbornes energy now looks to be much higher than those around him and it’s certainly been clear from his heat maps that he’s got around the pitch, but we haven’t had enough replacements like him.

If we had another storming season like last year perhaps we’d have seen the players able to raise themselves more.
That's pretty spot on.

Don't underestimate lack of a proper pre season for us. People can say it's the same for all teams but the ethos, and core of this team was making sure you werent out worked. Pandemic levelled that which for us actually meant a lack of an asset.

I agree. There’s no obvious evidence that they are unfit or overweight and the stats available seem to suggest otherwise.
Lack of ability and confidence are the main problems.

I agree. There’s no obvious evidence that they are unfit or overweight and the stats available seem to suggest otherwise.
Lack of ability and confidence are the main problems.
Probably the best way to describe it is that we’ve run out of talent and the signings haven’t been “oven ready”

That's pretty spot on.

Don't underestimate lack of a proper pre season for us. People can say it's the same for all teams but the ethos, and core of this team was making sure you werent out worked. Pandemic levelled that which for us actually meant a lack of an asset.
Even liverpool have suffered, a few key injuries and lack of form and down they slide.

Southampton have been interesting, flying for a while but then just hit a wall

Whenever a player’s out of form it’s always partly because he’s fat. According to a lot of our fans at least.

Fleck looks like R2-D2 these days. Probably about as mobile as him n'all.

More of a Ram-Man for me. “Almost as wide as he is tall” I think I said. Just wish he had some big powerful teammates to go with it (or failing that, a great big green bastard of a cat for some entertainment value)

I blame Ampadu and his massive red lunch box full of Krispy Kreme.

A new manager will come in and declare that the team are/were unfit and that his revolutionary approach to fitness will solve it. Then when he gets sacked the next one will come in and do the same......... forever and ever.

It’s a stock quote of all new managers that “the lads looked unfit when I came in”. I find it impossible to believe that it’s the case in any PL or top half championship side.

William_Henry_Foulke.jpg

"Who are you calling overweight?"

Last time you posted this we went on to get promoted, lets hope the same happens next year!

For what its worth, I don’t think United are unfit or overweight. I do think we give up 65-70% of the ball in most games and rarely use a low block so having to chase around more than any other team in the league leaves us simply exhausted.

I thought this would be about such stars as St Glynn Hodges or Billy van Whitehurst...not just some nonsense.

Last time you posted this we went on to get promoted, lets hope the same happens next year!

For what its worth, I don’t think United are unfit or overweight. I do think we give up 65-70% of the ball in most games and rarely use a low block so having to chase around more than any other team in the league leaves us simply exhausted.

Exactly, the game is much more physically demanding when you are playing without the ball

And as we have an aversion to skill, style, ability, guile, cunning, vision, movement and general footballing know how in every team we produce, playing with the ball is something that we will never witness.

Our players have to be workhorses because it's what the fans demand, they wouldn't be able to appreciate a proper footballer, and the various directors and various managers give them exactly what they want.

Remember when people used to talk about a "Blades pre-season" as if it was summat special from M&S or summat? Conditioning has been as wank as everything else this season.

Christ if Enda Stevens is overweight then I must be in training as a sumo wrestler.

Then again the same poster claimed that JOC and Lundstram were overweight and unfit. Thar would be the same Lundstram who is second only to Basham when it comes to Stamina and JOC who covered the second most ground of any blades player last season.

Fleck doesn't look in great shape, but that's just his natural build. Other than moose I think fitness is the least of our worries. We just aren't very good

Back
Top Bottom