Under the cosh - Neil Shipperley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The lads were at the Lane Sunday, bumped into Parkin getting a pint before the game.
Don't know if they were doing another vlog or just watching.

I was speaking to the guys on the kop. I didn't ask of they were recording anything tho. Top lads 😊

Was really impressed with Ships when he played for us, never realised he was that good.

He was overweight and had no pace so just assumed he’d just be a James Hanson/ Gary Madine type target man
However his 1st touch, awareness and intelligence was easily up to David McGoldrick levels, excellent ability on the ball.

In fact Ships hold up play and link play was so good he was one of the main reasons we gained promotion to the PL in 2006.

Was really impressed with Ships when he played for us, never realised he was that good.

He was overweight and had no pace so just assumed he’d just be a James Hanson/ Gary Madine type target man
However his 1st touch, awareness and intelligence was easily up to David McGoldrick levels, excellent ability on the ball.

In fact Ships hold up play and link play was so good he was one of the main reasons we gained promotion to the PL in 2006.

It certainly was,despite signing Akinbiyi for big money,when it was in danger of going tits up, Warnock reverted to Shipps being the focal point of the attack, and we never looked back.

A master craftsman of a centre forward was NS

It certainly was,despite signing Akinbiyi for big money,when it was in danger of going tits up, Warnock reverted to Shipps being the focal point of the attack, and we never looked back.

that's all talked about in the blades bit, apparently warnock made the rest of the squad stand up and applaud when ships came to say hello at cheltenham races

saying he is the reason you are where you are now

that's all talked about in the blades bit, apparently warnock made the rest of the squad stand up and applaud when ships came to say hello at cheltenham races

saying he is the reason you are where you are now

Loved the bit when Warnock offered to babysit his young un' so he could go out with his Mrs.

Loved the bit when Warnock offered to babysit his young un' so he could go out with his Mrs.

yep whatever you think of Warnock tactically, from these podcasts and snippets of books from players who has played under him

his man management shines through as why he has been successful

also Ships alludes to this with the story about after Crewe away on a saturday, he knew Ships was a londoner and missed home sometimes, and just said to him see you Thursday

little things like that we don't see can make or break players

Imagine if he had the fitness to go with it, he'd have featured for us in the Prem

Shipps and Danny Webber were quality together that year

I was talking to my mate last week and somehow the conversation turned to Shipperly and we were saying the same thing.

Bloody hell mate, you knew which players of ours from 12-13 years in the future he'd be reverse-emulating??!

Took me about 5 seconds..... yeh get what you mean now ha
I suppose at the time I was thinking....we’ve signed another Wayne “The Chief” Allison, just a big lump who will cause mayhem due to his size.

The Mighty Ship, can recall a game where he missed a chance but his frustration with himself was clear to see. A player who cared about his craft. He scored some decent goals as well.

Thought it was interesting how he talked about the boot room initiation and bullying culture at some of his previous clubs
But he infers this wasn’t necessarily a bad thing as these acts toughen up the player.

Today in the news Kevin McDonald, the Villa coach, has been sacked due to historical bullying.
I think “bullying” is a traditional management technique to try to get a reaction and or gain respect.

Brian Clough was famous for his outrageous blatant bullying of players and he is revered for it.....just shows how widespread general beliefs can become outdated.

Selling Gray and freeing up the space in the team for Shopperley to waddle into was a masterstroke from Warnock. From his cameo in the first game off the bench, where no Leicester player could get the ball off him, he was excellent for us. He was a player I thought from about 2 or 3 years before then I could see Warnock going in for.

His overhead kick against Preston was truly a thing to behold.

Selling Gray and freeing up the space in the team for Shopperley to waddle into was a masterstroke from Warnock.

It worked out very well for us, but it was hardly a masterstroke.

Having tried every big black veteran striker around (Furlong, Chief, Hayles, Onura, Suffo, Jaffo etc etc) he moved on to big white ones (Kelly, Ward, Mooney, Horsefield, Gray).

Shipperly was merely the culmination of this 'wonder strategy', more scattergun than targeted strike.

Shipperly was merely the culmination of this 'wonder strategy', more scattergun than targeted strike.

Made me laugh that.......it’s very true....when you think back to Warnocks purchases..and admittedly he made some excellent purchases
It was more about quantity over quality.......”scattergun approach” is a very accurate description.

Back
Top Bottom