Trigger Warning - Play-Offs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

30 degree heat for that Huddersfield game. Bar shut at 90 minutes and nowhere to even get water unless you wanted to stick your head under the taps in the bogs.

And to top it off, our coach left us at Watford gap.

Top day 👍

Might be my memory getting on a bit, but hasn't every time we've been to Wembley for the play-off final been boiling hot and sunny?

Which was the one where we were behind the goal to the right as you look from the telly and it was about 175 degrees?

The Hull semi-final was like an oven too if I remember right.

Not too surprising seeing as Play Off finals are usually at the end of May!

The Hull semi was early April and yes it was quite a warm day.

club mentality , what bollocks
Im sure Hecky will go for it. mccall is not a defensive style coach

clubs mentality is to try and get 150m quid in the prem
who in the club wouldnt want to win it

we go at it like we played against Middlesborough
previous failings should be erased from thinking
took preston 10 play off attempts to win one but no one told the team to beat swindon 4-0 when they finally did it
their club mentality as you put it took a major u turn

we last lost a play off final a decade ago, get over it
weve lost mccabe since then
the clubs mentality has changed enormously since princey sacked slavisa
any poor results recently our injuries added to a lot of games was the cause
but players will return

That's the point
It doesn't matter who's in charge, who the manager is or who the players are.

A long, long, history of failing in big games is down to club mentality, just the same as succeeding in big games is in Liverpool and Man Citys mentality

If we get to the final we will bottle it...... again. Not because we're not good enough but because we will be afraid to go and win it.....again.

That's the point

A long, long, history of failing in big games is down to club mentality, just the same as succeeding in big games is in Liverpool and Man Citys mentality

If we get to the final we will bottle it...... again. Not because we're not good enough but because we will be afraid to go and win it.....again.
what are you on about

We won 2 promotions in the previous 4 seasons
we attacked the prem with gusto in the first season

let's just ignore that eh
we last lost a play off final a decade ago

you can only win things as Liverpool do and Chelsea. and man city when you spend a billion.pounds on a squad

We are like 80 per cent of EFL clubs
living from hand to mouth

We must play in a play off final to win or lose it

That's an achievement in.itself

considering in October our can do fans had us down in division one and that was down to club mentality ....but it was not a dont try attitude thats put us in 5th spot

what are you on about

We won 2 promotions in the previous 4 seasons
we attacked the prem with gusto in the first season

let's just ignore that eh
we last lost a play off final a decade ago

you can only win things as Liverpool do and Chelsea. and man city when you spend a billion.pounds on a squad

We are like 80 per cent of EFL clubs
living from hand to mouth

We must play in a play off final to win or lose it

That's an achievement in.itself

considering in October our can do fans had us down in division one and that was down to club mentality ....but it was not a dont try attitude thats put us in 5th spot

The whole point of this thread was about the play offs, big games, and what happens to United in them, and whether anybody will be put off from attending based on our track record.

So what we did 10 years ago, 20 years ago is relevant, and what we might do at some point in the future isn't

I just look at it as a good day out spoiled by a game of football, I don’t expect us to win, so I’m never shocked when we don’t. How’s it go, “we’re the famous Sheff United and we’re shit at Wembley“

So what we did 10 years ago, 20 years ago is relevant, and what we might do at some point in the future isn't
It certainly should be important what we do in May.
Tell me why do you go to football

I go in the hope and expectation of seeing United win

Its called hope .faith and belief we can win
what the fuck else do we go for

some it seems want to have no belief
If I thought the club for one second didnt care .... Id just take up knitting .or being a full time miserable old fart

A lot seem to relish that life choice

Might be my memory getting on a bit, but hasn't every time we've been to Wembley for the play-off final been boiling hot and sunny?

Which was the one where we were behind the goal to the right as you look from the telly and it was about 175 degrees?

The Hull semi-final was like an oven too if I remember right.

Ever watch the old westerns where the Apaches capture a cowboy and tie him out in the desert sun to die? It was like that for the Huddersfield match, apart from the Apaches don’t charge you a tenner for a shit burger and fries with a small fizzy pop.

That's the point

With all due respect….it appears that your own mentality is stuck in ‘bottle it mode’ suggesting there is an all encompassing aura of failure surrounding Sheffield United is bordering on superstition or Voodoo.
Man City has been transformed by one thing,money.
The practical reality of attaining the best players and the best manager available because they can has bought Man City success.
I’ve been to Wembley several times to watch the blades and I’ll be going again but certainly not under some mysterious dark cloud that
means we will never win.

The worst thing about these are the coach journeys back. It takes about 2 hours to get back on the M1! If we get there this year, I am getting the train, whatever the cost. At least it’ll be easier to get pissed when we inevitably lose on penalties.

Agree.
I also went to the Palace, Wolves and Burnley play-offs.
Thought I was a jinx, so I deliberately didn't go to the Huddersfield game and stayed at home watching it on tv.

At 2-0 up in the penalty shoot-out I thought "I think we're actually going to win a play-off final"
Think we had a penalty to make it 3-0 up and I thought "score this and it's all over, we're promoted"

We went on to fail AGAIN. My experiment failed, we lost even when I didn't go.

So I'll definitely be going to the next play-off final.
To be honest I think I'll enjoy it more because the pressure isn't as great.

We've recently experienced PL football, so it's not as big a deal.
Also deep inside I don't think we're currently good enough for the PL and even I would accept that we'd be big favourites for relegation.
Where as regards the team promoted under Wilder I did expect us to surprise everyone by easily staying up.
Have tried not to think about that shootout v Huddersfield since. Oh my god, how did we lose that?!!

Was anyone else at the play off semi final in the 80's against Bristol City? The format then was 3rd-bottom of the 2nd tier (us) entered the play offs with 3rd, 4th and 5th from the third tier (I think). We lost over two legs. I was at the home game, and it was never going to be easy for a poorly-performing team going up against three teams who were used to winning. I think Billy McKewan was our manager then but could be wrong.

With all due respect….it appears that your own mentality is stuck in ‘bottle it mode’ suggesting there is an all encompassing aura of failure surrounding Sheffield United is bordering on superstition or Voodoo.
Man City has been transformed by one thing,money.
The practical reality of attaining the best players and the best manager available because they can has bought Man City success.
I’ve been to Wembley several times to watch the blades and I’ll be going again but certainly not under some mysterious dark cloud that
means we will never win.

Well done

Was anyone else at the play off semi final in the 80's against Bristol City? The format then was 3rd-bottom of the 2nd tier (us) entered the play offs with 3rd, 4th and 5th from the third tier (I think). We lost over two legs. I was at the home game, and it was never going to be easy for a poorly-performing team going up against three teams who were used to winning. I think Billy McKewan was our manager then but could be wrong.

Bassett was manager for about the last 10 games that year if I remember right.
I was at both games
About 1500 - 2000 Blades on a Sunday evening, three fans got stabbed, lost 1-0

Drew at home 1-1

We went down but Bristol City stayed down after losing the play off final

Revenge was served the following season as United got promoted and guess what happened to be our last game of the season.
Yep, Bristol City away

Reactions: Dkc
Huddersfield missed their first three. We missed our first, third and fourth. We were never 2 up, the closest we got was 1-0 with five kicks to go (two for them, three for us). Had Lowton scored our fourth we'd have been 2-0 up.
That's what I remember , Matt Lowton having the chance to put some daylight between us, and melting in the sun.

Bassett was manager for about the last 10 games that year if I remember right.
I was at both games
About 1500 - 2000 Blades on a Sunday evening, three fans got stabbed, lost 1-0

Drew at home 1-1

We went down but Bristol City stayed down after losing the play off final

Revenge was served the following season as United got promoted and guess what happened to be our last game of the season.
Yep, Bristol City away

Yep was at that game too. Carnage in park after game too !!

Yep was at that game too. Carnage in park after game too !!
We were sat in the seats to the left of the United fans who were stood up
Absolute bedlam !!!

Everything including the kitchen sink chucked at each other

How many Dutch blades are out there? I visit Amsterdam quite frequently, I was over there for the Stoke match last game of the season when we could’ve won the league, pretty sure I remember someone on here saying a few were meeting in a sports bar in Leidseplein
As far as I know not a lot. I do know that wednesday is more popular in The Netherlands, they even have a sort of fanclub. I think after our PL season in which we competed for the European spots, we gained at least some sort of popularity with the younger generation, but before that none of my friends even knew a single player of Sheffield United.

30 degree heat for that Huddersfield game. Bar shut at 90 minutes and nowhere to even get water unless you wanted to stick your head under the taps in the bogs.

And to top it off, our coach left us at Watford gap.

Top day 👍
There was the big accident on the M1 on the way down. Coach driver refused to take a diversion and to top it off the air con broke. Drank all my 10 cans just to stop myself from passing out.

Didn’t get to The Green Man while 2:20 pm from a 9am start.

One lad we were with drove drown and didn’t arrive til the first half of extra time.

Most of these posts are about failing in 4 PO Finals but haven't we also failed in 3 POs without even getting to the Final , totalling 7 ?
Also since 93 haven't we lost 4 FA Cup Semis & a LC Semi ?
That's a dozen failures in significant "sudden death" situations.
And not a single promotion gained or Cup Final appearance resulting.
Is there any club in England with such a miserable history since the POs began ?

Back
Top Bottom