Trigger Warning - Play-Offs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Swannyblade

Reaction score
Understandably there's a lot of talk of what's going to be required during the run-in for us to make the play-offs, but IF we do make it, does anybody actually give us a feline's chance in Hades...or are the ghosts of play-offs past just too strong to give you any sort of confidence?
I'm not talking about the squad's ability because obviously they're good enough on their day, I'm wondering if anyone would make the trip down to Wembley with any sense of optimism?
I've seen it mentioned and it's certainly crossed my mind, but a defeat to Wilder's Boro' seems to be the most Bladey outcome imaginable and one to add to the list of unhappy play-off memories:

1648125462272.png1648125492939.png1648125522853.png1648125551187.png

OR, will it be more like this:

1648126058515.png

Hecky knows what play-off final success feels like:

1648126289861.png

;) ahem:

1648126457174.png

I don’t know why anyone able to make it, afford it and physically attend would miss a chance to see their team at Wembley.

Then again I live 45 minutes away, so it’ll be £3.60 return and no accommodation costs :)

And I always go with optimism I’m the playoffs. You’re only playing a team who finished within a few places of you. No reason why you shouldn’t win.

I don’t know why anyone able to make it, afford it and physically attend would miss a chance to see their team at Wembley.

Then again I live 45 minutes away, so it’ll be £3.60 return and no accommodation costs :)

And I always go with optimism I’m the playoffs. You’re only playing a team who finished within a few places of you. No reason why you shouldn’t win.
If will probably go to Sheffield somewhere during April to visit a regular game, but if we're making the play-off final I will fly over again to go to Wembley if I can get a ticket haha.

To answer OP: With the current standing, I actually think we would have the best odds of everyone. Still kind of a lottery tho.

I had a conversation about law of averages on the way to Coventry and my mates told me to fuck off, but I think when we've been expected to do it, we have come up short (obviously) in previous finals, this time I really don't see us as favourites..

Bring our A game we have every chance, if we're there so will I..

What if you didn't go, and we did it?

it definately wouldn't, i have never felt so bad as i did after the Burnley defeat
It was the Wolves game for me - 3-0 down and shell shocked. We'd had so many good results in big games that season that I actually went into the game feeling confident for once. Even when we got the penalty I thought the comeback could be on (with the the Forest game still fresh in my mind). When Browny missed the penalty it was an absolute sickener and I've not felt confident going into a big game since.

I had a conversation about law of averages on the way to Coventry and my mates told me to fuck off, but I think when we've been expected to do it, we have come up short (obviously) in previous finals, this time I really don't see us as favourites..

Bring our A game we have every chance, if we're there so will I..

What if you didn't go, and we did it?
That would just confirm my suspicion that I'm the jinx

so we lost a few games at wembley .... years ago
go in thinking your going to lose whats the likeliest outcome .... you lose

dont get being pessimistic for a final
we arent facing liverpool or man city

I get slaughtered on here for saying our form now will get us there
I get told when I bring up occasions weve made it is not relevant , that was back then

but the doubters reach even further back to defeats and its ok to use them to prove their point
the op being an example of the cant do attitude a lot of our fans adopt

man up grow some balls and think positive

its our turn

sufc champion pessamists since 1997
see we can win something
25 years of whingeing

It was the Wolves game for me - 3-0 down and shell shocked. We'd had so many good results in big games that season that I actually went into the game feeling confident for once. Even when we got the penalty I thought the comeback could be on (with the the Forest game still fresh in my mind). When Browny missed the penalty it was an absolute sickener and I've not felt confident going into a big game since.
I really believe if Browny had put the penalty away we would have turned that game around. To make it worse stopped overnight and it pissed it down. Awful awful journey home next day.

We are due a trip to Wembley, if we get there then I’ll be going. It’s worth risking the chance of another defeat just incase we turn up and win. The journey back would be ridiculous.

I remember talking to a Wolves fan after the game and he thought when Wolves were 3-0 up that they still would lose such was the reputation of United for getting results!

it definately wouldn't, i have never felt so bad as i did after the Burnley defeat

The Wolves one killed me. I was 13 and not used to the disappointments and we'd had such a great season. I've kind have expected us to lose every time since then.

I fully expect us to lose this season too if we make them. Not just because it's us. But because I think we've been running out of steam recently and the injuries are catching up with us big style. If Sharp is out for the season I think the writing is on the wall with our options.

The Wolves one killed me. I was 13 and not used to the disappointments and we'd had such a great season. I've kind have expected us to lose every time since then.

I fully expect us to lose this season too if we make them. Not just because it's us. But because I think we've been running out of steam recently and the injuries are catching up with us big style. If Sharp is out for the season I think the writing is on the wall with our options.

It's the manner of the defeats more than the defeats themselves.

Crystal Palace, Wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield did not provide a single solitary second of anything for us to get excited about. We couldn't even get a shot on target when we were given a penalty.

Losing is painful enough, doing nothing to compete because you're so afraid of losing is a disgrace.

It’s fucking penalties that I can’t stand. A 46-game season and then your future is decided by your keeper taking a pen!

I always thought that the playoffs were set up as a last chance for lower clubs to beat higher placed clubs. In that sense they should have to do just that.

After extra time, if it’s level, the team that finished higher in the league should win. That would make extra time much better as well, as one team would effectively always be behind and having to go for it. At present, both sides usually settle for not losing as a first option, and extra time is really stale.

2 tired teams playing football, knowing one is always ahead is a real test - keepers and kids missing penalties is just theatre, and should be left for cup games.

It’s fucking penalties that I can’t stand. A 46-game season and then your future is decided by your keeper taking a pen!

I always thought that the playoffs were set up as a last chance for lower clubs to beat higher placed clubs. In that sense they should have to do just that.

After extra time, if it’s level, the team that finished higher in the league should win. That would make extra time much better as well, as one team would effectively always be behind and having to go for it. At present, both sides usually settle for not losing as a first option, and extra time is really stale.

2 tired teams playing football, knowing one is always ahead is a real test - keepers and kids missing penalties is just theatre, and should be left for cup games.

The problem with that is you would get the team who finished higher in the league time wasting, going down whenever they could and putting every man behind the ball.

I knew we were jinxed the minute Paddy ran on to the pitch wearing that blue goalkeeper kit having worn exclusively green all season.

That and Rankine being in the starting 11.

It's the manner of the defeats more than the defeats themselves.

Crystal Palace, Wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield did not provide a single solitary second of anything for us to get excited about. We couldn't even get a shot on target when we were given a penalty.

Losing is painful enough, doing nothing to compete because you're so afraid of losing is a disgrace.
again all history
when I ;ring our promotions I get slapped down and told they were years ago

well spoiler alert so were these play offs

if we get in the play off there is no precedent for the 2022 play offs
every team has the same chance

Back
Top Bottom