Trenton Wiggan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kenilworth

Forged in Steel - Fooked in Riyadh
Reaction score
Trenton Wiggan
Local lad
Shined brightly in a shite season
Made his debut in 1979
Anyone got any pics on him in a Blades shirt, in his prime.

Trenton Wiggan
Local lad
Shined brightly in a shite season
Made his debut in 1979
Anyone got any pics on him in a Blades shirt, in his prime.

That’s a great read.

I’m sure he went to Gleadless Valley school and I was in the same year while at Jordanthorpe. Seem to remember playing school football and I think cricket against him too.

He was a very good athlete, pretty sure he represented South Yorkshire in the English Schools Finals...400m runner if I remember rightly

From 29 mins 18 seconds in the Huddersfield match, he assisted the 1st goal and scored the 2nd, also played in the next featured game v Charlton and assisting Don Givens winning goal

We were beating Udders 2-0 before Steve Kindon scored a late brace - choker.

We were beating Udders 2-0 before Steve Kindon scored a late brace - choker.
I wasnt at the match due to playing football, someone told me that when Kindon came on as sub, the crowd chanted "Fat b*stard, fat b*stard" but he soon shut them up!

Sure he scored in night match against Blackpool what I went to

That’s a great read.

I’m sure he went to Gleadless Valley school and I was in the same year while at Jordanthorpe. Seem to remember playing school football and I think cricket against him too.

He didn't go to GV, I always thought he went to Newfield Green, but could be wrong

Iam a valley lad don’t recall him at our school but I do remember seeing him at Oakes park fair , Hinde House ? near Concord park rings a bell . My memory of him is him scoring against the pigs in the county cup at the rust bucket in 1980

He didn't go to GV, I always thought he went to Newfield Green, but could be wrong

Correct, Graps. Although I think KG and WC knew him very well. Think he once played for the Three Feathers with that lot too.

He, (and Steve Senior) were always going to be the ones who went further with their footballing careers.

pommpey

Iam a valley lad don’t recall him at our school but I do remember seeing him at Oakes park fair , Hinde House ? near Concord park rings a bell . My memory of him is him scoring against the pigs in the county cup at the rust bucket in 1980

What year, mate?

pommpey

He went to St John Fishers Woodhouse for the 1st 2 years, secondary, then moved on (All Saints I think)

Yes
Same as me,
He was in the same year as me.
Our school team tactics consisted of, kick off, give it to Trenton
Trenton ran 50 yards with it......goal.

When we were between the ages of 11-16 Trenton was 28-33

I was stood on the Leppings Lane end on the night we beat Wednesday in the 1980 County Cup final.
From memory I’m sure Wiggan and Sabella (Sabellas last ever match before going to Leeds) scored.
We won on the cup....think it was 2-1.

My memorise of Trenton Wigan was that he had electric pace making him exciting but his ability wasnt quite up to standard
but in them days 1981season, many of our players weren’t up to standard.

Last edited:
Fascinating read that, the original article. I read people referencing Wiggan on here from time to time, but he was a United player before my time. How were we as side back then?

You read paragraphs like:
"This October is Black History Month and Trenton was one of the early forerunners in a Blades shirt, believed to be only the third black footballer to have represented United after Arthur Wharton (1928-1931) and Ian Benjamin (1978-1979)." and you realise how crucial his role was in our club's history and in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that long ago.

Then you read:
"I remember a United delegation arriving at our house to sign me up," Trenton recalls as he casts his mind back to his early days at the Lane.' And there's something quite nostalgic about football doing things the old fashioned way and the lengths clubs went to to sign the latest prospect. Nowadays it's all Instagram posts and high wages before a player has even so much as left the youth sides, and a lot of it seems centred on clubs signing these young players, merely to prevent others from doing so. Chelsea are a prime example.

Correct, Graps. Although I think KG and WC knew him very well. Think he once played for the Three Feathers with that lot too.

He, (and Steve Senior) were always going to be the ones who went further with their footballing careers.

pommpey
Steve Senior played for York he was in the York team when they played at the lane in 4 th division season

Hi pal left in 1981 was mates with Glynn Wheatley , Bigun , Rennie
I see. Used to play footy with Glynn, Jamie and Fenny back in the day. They lived not far from me on Landseer. All unclean. We practiced social distancing even back then. Had to wipe the ball after they'd kicked it and if you got picked on the same side you might as well ask to be subbed!

Great set of families mind.

I lived on Constable Drive.

pommpey

From 29 mins 18 seconds in the Huddersfield match, he assisted the 1st goal and scored the 2nd, also played in the next featured game v Charlton and assisting Don Givens winning goal

Highlights on ITV ....you can see me in my parka going mad when he scores!

Yes
Same as me,
He was in the same year as me.
Our school team tactics consisted of, kick off, give it to Trenton
Trenton ran 50 yards with it......goal.

When we were between the ages of 11-16 Trenton was 28-33
Be interested to know who you are. I was in the same class at All Saints as Trenton from 3rd year until we left on the Scott Road site. Also in the same year as David Fraine if anyone remembers him.

Football memories are weird.

I remember Trenton playing for United, as that was when I started going regularly and he was just so quick. Fastest thing I’d seen run down the wing past the John St terrace.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I was introduced to him by a relative in The Kelham Island Tavern. My memory of him was lost in 1979 (not assisted by the prior visits to six other fine pubs) and I blurted out “You’re not Trenton Wiggan”. He replied “I am”. And I repeated “Nah mate you’re not Trenton Wiggan” and I walked off.

A sober reflection the next day made me realise;

1. People’s looks change over 30 years.
2. I can’t imagine that many people would want to impersonate Trenton Wiggan in The Kelham Island Tavern.
3. I can be a knob after 8 pints

Trenton, if you’re reading I do apologise and the next pint is on me!

Be interested to know who you are. I was in the same class at All Saints as Trenton from 3rd year until we left on the Scott Road site. Also in the same year as David Fraine if anyone remembers him.

I also remember David Frain.
Played football with him on Sunday's as well.
Don't want to name drop but almost anybody in that age group at either John Fisher's or All Saints and there's a good chance I'll know them

Back
Top Bottom