Top ten bonkers moments involving United (again nicked from Match Of The Day)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
I'm sure there are loads! I've chosen ones in my time supporting United, so not mentioned Alan Ball sitting on the ball, etc.
10. Ronaldo missing open net at Bramall Lane. One of the two greatest players of this generation I bet he still has nightmares about this. Surely his worst miss ever!
9. Fan confronts Bryan Robson on touchline. It was in the League Cup against Arsenal. He races onto pitch and throws season ticket at him. Robson just stares blankly ahead.
8. United v Portsmouth, four sent off 1986. The original Battle Of Bramall Lane, Portsmouth were shocking down to 8 men. It still took a Paul Mariner own goal to beat them.
7.Don Givens penalty v Walsall.A draw would have kept us up. Walsall score with a last minute penalty. We are given an injury time penalty and Don Given chooses this moment to take the worst ever penalty. I don't think the goalkeeper needed to be there, it wouldn't have reached the goal.
6. Snowball thrown at ref v Halifax in Division Four. What a throw from the fan!
5. World War Two bomb postpones game against Oldham in 1980s. The most unusual reason for a game to be called off until coronavirus!
4. The balloon goal against Manchester City in the FA Cup. Man City fans have thousands of balloons, one deflects the ball into the goal for our opening goal.
3. Spitgate United v Wolves Graham Taylor. This was disgusting and I didn't blame Taylor for jumping into the stands.
2. Dean Saunders throw in goal v Port Vale. Throws it against their goalkeeper it bounces back to Saunders who scores in an empty net. Brilliant!
1. Battle Of Bramall Lane. Stunned the whole crowd, game abandoned because we were down to seven (wasn't it?) players. Awful tackles, Brown faking an injury, Megson's reaction, it had it all. I do think we should have had points deducted though.

I'm sure there are loads! I've chosen ones in my time supporting United, so not mentioned Alan Ball sitting on the ball, etc.
10. Ronaldo missing open net at Bramall Lane. One of the two greatest players of this generation I bet he still has nightmares about this. Surely his worst miss ever!
9. Fan confronts Bryan Robson on touchline. It was in the League Cup against Arsenal. He races onto pitch and throws season ticket at him. Robson just stares blankly ahead.
8. United v Portsmouth, four sent off 1986. The original Battle Of Bramall Lane, Portsmouth were shocking down to 8 men. It still took a Paul Mariner own goal to beat them.
7.Don Givens penalty v Walsall.A draw would have kept us up. Walsall score with a last minute penalty. We are given an injury time penalty and Don Given chooses this moment to take the worst ever penalty. I don't think the goalkeeper needed to be there, it wouldn't have reached the goal.
6. Snowball thrown at ref v Halifax in Division Four. What a throw from the fan!
5. World War Two bomb postpones game against Oldham in 1980s. The most unusual reason for a game to be called off until coronavirus!
4. The balloon goal against Manchester City in the FA Cup. Man City fans have thousands of balloons, one deflects the ball into the goal for our opening goal.
3. Spitgate United v Wolves Graham Taylor. This was disgusting and I didn't blame Taylor for jumping into the stands.
2. Dean Saunders throw in goal v Port Vale. Throws it against their goalkeeper it bounces back to Saunders who scores in an empty net. Brilliant!
1. Battle Of Bramall Lane. Stunned the whole crowd, game abandoned because we were down to seven (wasn't it?) players. Awful tackles, Brown faking an injury, Megson's reaction, it had it all. I do think we should have had points deducted though.

Don’t think Brown played again that season.

The linesman being kidnapped by encroaching blades at Darlington and a blade gayly running the line waving the flag for probably 30 seconds to a minute before the ref realised. All taken in great spirit by everyone at the time. I wonder what the football authorities would do if it happen today?

The linesman being kidnapped by encroaching blades at Darlington and a blade gayly running the line waving the flag for probably 30 seconds to a minute before the ref realised. All taken in great spirit by everyone at the time. I wonder what the football authorities would do if it happen today?

I must admit to having never heard of that one.

I'd forgotten that bit to be honest! But Warnock seemed keen to get the game called off didn't he?

No. It was a an end of season dead rubber for us. No benefit at all to getting the game abandoned.

Replaying the game would have meant Warnock would have had to make an additional round trip from Cornwall to Sheffield which I’m sure he could have done without.

That fan chucking his United shirt away just before we started the mega surge toward Europe!
This forum reuniting said fan with his shirt.
Step forward young man!

No. It was a an end of season dead rubber for us. No benefit at all to getting the game abandoned.

Replaying the game would have meant Warnock would have had to make an additional round trip from Cornwall to Sheffield which I’m sure he could have done without.
Also in the interview with Brownie he was saying everybody had one eye on their holidays and did not want an extra game when there was nothing in it for them.

In reply to the OP and Graham Taylor, I was bang next to the bloke he 'arrested'. Before it all happened Taylor had spent ages arguing the toss with all united fans in the vacinity, while his players, all with of a look of amazement on their faces (that Taylor was stood there having a slanging match with Blades fans) jogged past him down the tunnel. Then all of a sudden Taylor theatrically threw his hands to his face, before he then came wading into the crowd. He then grabs this bloke next to me and announces he wants this man arresting. I'd not seen anyone spit at him so I thought he'd gone bonkers. I remember telling him to calm down and asking him if he'd gone mad. That night it was on national news and could clearly see myself on TV. They were reporting he'd been spat at and I'm thinking no way, I was next to that bloke and I'd seen nothing. Monday morning front of the Sheff Star the bloke had owned up too it and gone to see Taylor to apologise.

He shouldn't have spat at him but Taylor didn't do himself any favours standing there arguing with Blades fans. He was probably pissed off that we'd got a late equaliser for a share of the points.

How many points would you have also deducted from WBA?

Tony Agana wasnt it ? Being chased ,not chasing Deano obvs
She ran towards the Lane End was between Deano (with the ball) and McGrath who was about to challenge Deano (photo in front page of Green Un that evening) and then the streaker changed direction to run towards Agana who was on the bench before kissing him on the head or cheek. Agana joked by putting his head over his face as if he was hiding his blushes.

How many points would you have also deducted from WBA?
I'm not sure why they would? I'm glad we weren't deducted points, but I was surprised that we weren't given more of a punishment for being unable to complete a game.

I'm not sure why they would? I'm glad we weren't deducted points, but I was surprised that we weren't given more of a punishment for being unable to complete a game.

There was plenty of blame to be aimed at us, but just as much blame should be aimed at the ginger pig cunt, whose selection of Johnson was provocative at best, and whose teams have always behaved disgracefully at the Lane.

She ran towards the Lane End was between Deano (with the ball) and McGrath who was about to challenge Deano (photo in front page of Green Un that evening) and then the streaker changed direction to run towards Agana who was on the bench before kissing him on the head or cheek. Agana joked by putting his head over his face as if he was hiding his blushes.
You took good notice I see ;)

Too much information mi thinks SB. Got any photos? ;) Thought Agana's head was over his face anyway.:oops:

You took good notice I see ;)

That was Trig Jnr (TE)’s first ever game and in the list of things he told his Mum when we got home, the shapely streaker didn’t feature at all. Happily, I was able to supply Mrs Trig with the missing detail.

We were on a really good run and won that game 2-1. The front page of the Green’Un that night had a picture of Deano, ball at his feet running towards goal, with the streaker somewhere behind him and the headline “Winning Streak”, my second favourite after “Blades Glory (etc) ......” 🙂

Tony Agana wasnt it ? Being chased ,not chasing Deano obvs
As silent says but I remember during the game that deano was off with the ball and never batted an eyelid as if she wasn't there! I would have at least stopped for a gawp! Top professionalism from deano. I remember the green in pic as well ,someone must have that one somewhere.

Good little banter above, regarding streaker incident. Yes, I remember it as Silent describes. I ,also, thought he meant to type 'hands'. Regarding the streaker- yes, I would.

Jan Aage Fjortoft slide tackling a Freddie Mercury impersonator before Huddersfield away. Completely twatted him and I don't think he realised how hard he hit the bloke till he helped him up and the poor feller limped off in a state of shock. No more Freddie that day 😢😢😢

Back
Top Bottom