Top ten bonkers moments involving United (again nicked from Match Of The Day)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was that when it meant he was suspended for the games over Christmas. I remember thinking how convenient it was!

Got a feeling that game came after Christmas. Also think he scored that volley against Charlton around about Christmas time?

Could have been the season before....or the season after, think he'd fallen out of favour by then as it happens.

Always blame Stephen Hunt for that incident anyway. I know Gillespie shouldn't have reacted but he just looks the type to be a little twat.

The battle of bramall lane is the obvious winner for me in the time I've been watching United.

Other notable mentions to the three missed pens in one game against Blackburn and Kenny throwing the ball at Kilgallon away at Villa in the same season.
Battle of Bramall Lane.
Bert Jnr was very young at the time and was just about to burst into tears when the match was abandoned until Bert pointed out that the was witnessing a piece of history and that he would remember it for the rest of his life.

Battle of Bramall Lane.
Bert Jnr was very young at the time and was just about to burst into tears when the match was abandoned until Bert pointed out that the was witnessing a piece of history and that he would remember it for the rest of his life.
Did you say the same to a now older Bert Jnr when Boris Johnson announced the lockdown?!

Did you say the same to a now older Bert Jnr when Boris Johnson announced the lockdown?!
Bert Jnr decamped from London to the Bert residence 6 weeks ago, this morning he told Bert that seeing as Bert never wears football shirts he would take possession of this shirt residing in the Bert wardrobe.
Anymore behaviour like that and Bert Jnr will be going back to London despite what Boris says.

sheffield-united-third-football-shirt-1991-1993-s_12073_1.jpg

Battle of Bramall Lane.

I was only young at the time. Could have been my 5th or 6th game maybe.....anyway I just assumed it was something that happened every other week at the time.

I guess the first United team I saw, involving Keith Curle, Shaun Murphy, Michael Brown etc made me assume football was just something that happened in between trying to kick the opposition.

I was only young at the time. Could have been my 5th or 6th game maybe.....anyway I just assumed it was something that happened every other week at the time.

I guess the first United team I saw, involving Keith Curle, Shaun Murphy, Michael Brown etc made me assume football was just something that happened in between trying to kick the opposition.
Very funny, if a little harsh on Michael Brown!

Very funny, if a little harsh on Michael Brown!

I could have gone through the whole 11 thinking about it. It’s only now I look back and think where Warnock got that reputation from. Tbf to Brown he was an excellent player in that division but I think he even admitted himself somewhere that when he went to Spurs, he had to change his game to a more physical midfielder to stay in the team.

I didn’t notice when I was younger but I think we cleaned up a bit at the end of that season. Mainly because of that game I would imagine. We still had a reputation but I don’t think we were any worse than a lot of other teams in the division in the following years. We played some really good football in the 05/06 season...Some games probably still boiled over slightly but I think a lot more did back then. You only have to look at when Viera and Keane came up against each other to see that.

Battle of Bramall Lane.
Similarly, I saw the Edwards dummy and after the game, me and my mate met up with my mate’s dad for a lift home (he was a flat capper, always stood at the front of the kop whilst we stood at the back thinking we were top lads) and he told us to remember that goal as we wouldn’t see many like it.

Similarly, I saw the Edwards dummy and after the game, me and my mate met up with my mate’s dad for a lift home (he was a flat capper, always stood at the front of the kop whilst we stood at the back thinking we were top lads) and he told us to remember that goal as we wouldn’t see many like it.
It was against Bristol Rovers at home. A couple of years ago I saw Edwards in a chip shop outside Fleetwood's ground and told him what a fantastic goal it was. I think I was probably the 5000th person to tell him that!

The Bonkers bit of the Walsall game is that we managed to get relegated despite a) having a POSITIVE goal difference and b) being in the top five goal scorers in the division (scoring more than champions Rotherham).

When we went down to Division 3 in 1979, we scored more goals than Div 2 champions Crystal Palace.

It was against Bristol Rovers at home. A couple of years ago I saw Edwards in a chip shop outside Fleetwood's ground and told him what a fantastic goal it was. I think I was probably the 5000th person to tell him that!

I told him while playing golf with him at Lees Hall. He was a decent golfer and I partnered him and had a shocker. He was supportive alway through but couldn't help me with my duck hook. Top bloke

I told him while playing golf with him at Lees Hall. He was a decent golfer and I partnered him and had a shocker. He was supportive alway through but couldn't help me with my duck hook. Top bloke
Kind of overshadowed my 'bumped into him in a Fleetwood chippy' boast I guess 🤔

Didn't Shaun Derry once score a perfectly good goal that went through the back of the net and the ref gave a goal kick?
In the 80s we scored a perfectly good goal that hit the stanchion at the back of the net and bounced back out. Our fans celebrated but the referee thought it had hit the bar and bounced out. I think it was a 3-2 defeat at home to Grimsby circa Sept 1986 and the 'goal' would have put us 1-0 up.

In the 80s we scored a perfectly good goal that hit the stanchion at the back of the net and bounced back out. Our fans celebrated but the referee thought it had hit the bar and bounced out. I think it was a 3-2 defeat at home to Grimsby circa Sept 1986 and the 'goal' would have put us 1-0 up.

Was that Glen Cockerill "scoring"?

Presume either Lund or Drinkell scored a hat trick for Grimsby, one of them usually did.

Was that Glen Cockerill "scoring"?

Presume either Lund or Drinkell scored a hat trick for Grimsby, one of them usually did.

Lund Hat trick. He was a late replacement for an injured Drinkell.

It was September 1984. It was 0-0 when Cockerill "scored". We then went 3-0 down and scored 2 late goals to reduce the deficit.

A few not mentioned:

Carl Muggleton coming on as an outfield sub at Reading in 1996.

Palace away game in 1998-9, when one of the parachutists landing on the pitch as part of the pre-match entertainment came down like a brick and badly injured himself, delaying kick off

4 sent off v Udinese in 1994-5 Anglo Italian Cup game

The Deane/Agana double hat trick against Chester in 1988-9 - the only time United players have done this since the 1920s

Bert Jnr decamped from London to the Bert residence 6 weeks ago, this morning he told Bert that seeing as Bert never wears football shirts he would take possession of this shirt residing in the Bert wardrobe.
Anymore behaviour like that and Bert Jnr will be going back to London despite what Boris says.

View attachment 78808

My favourite United shirt! Don't suppose Bert would consider selling?

A few not mentioned:

Palace away game in 1998-9, when one of the parachutists landing on the pitch as part of the pre-match entertainment came down like a brick and badly injured himself, delaying kick off

The Deane/Agana double hat trick against Chester in 1988-9 - the only time United players have done this since the 1920s
The Udinese game was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Muggleton nearly scored as well didn't he?

What about when we played top of the table Wolves in 1989 needing a point to virtually guarantee promotion?
With the score 2-2 and the game nearing the end, the ref blew for a stoppage but some of our players thought he'd blown for full-time and ran over to our fans with play continuing!

My favourite United shirt! Don't suppose Bert would consider selling?
It was in a Chapeltown charity shop and a friend of Bert's who worked there gave it to him.
Bert has never sold anything related to Sheffield United. Once Bert has croaked you should contact Bert Jnr.

A few not mentioned:

I've also remembered an away game at Shrewsbury a few years ago when a Shrewsbury fan ran onto the pitch, a fat policeman ran after him, only to fall flat on his face!

Back
Top Bottom