Tony Tony Currie.............

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If cuts need making and Toddy's doing the job then why keep him on for sentiment alone.

Currie must be cracking on for 60-65, and if he's getting redundancy terms anything like 2 weeks / year he'll retire on it. I'm sure he's been in post for something like 20 years (I remember him shepherding kids around not much younger than me in the 80s in pre-match 'entertainment')

not only TC supposedley being shown the door,im mates with derek french on f.b,and yesterday he said united no longer need him to fulfill his matchday PR in the platinum suite.
Not that id class frenchy in TC`s sature,but united are kicking in the bollocks.

not only TC supposedley being shown the door,im mates with derek french on f.b,and yesterday he said united no longer need him to fulfill his matchday PR in the platinum suite.

Can't see there been much demand for corporate hospitality at the lane at the moment to be fair.

If he's been kicked out it's an utter fooking disgrace !

/quote]

So you want us to keep an employee just because he played for us about 35-40 years ago rather than whether there is a position for him at the club ?

He has been well looked after by the club for a large proportion of his adult life. If this is true,he will get his redundancy pay and retire.

I would rather TC left than someone like Mick Rooker or Emma Wylie

Like a few older Unitedites on here, TC was THE reason I started watching the Blades in 1970. Undoubtedly, still the greatest player i've ever seen in a red and white striped shirt. Sad news today but as we are all aware, a sign of the current situation a lot of clubs are in. All the best in whatever you choose to do TC, a Blades Legend.

Met the bloke several times, found him to be quite rude and one match day in particular he stank of booze (whilst he was supposed to be working). Not in my era and never saw him play, so not a hero for me.

Times are hard and he isnt going to make one ounce of a difference in us getting promotion, if scrapping him and the cleaner mean we can give morgan a coaches wage then its money well spent.

They probably saw those boots he was wearing the other day and thought we cant be having that nonsense round here.

Not sure what his job was so probably best for him to go.

Why the club has to be second to report it is a mystery to me as they should not allow any leaks and make the annoucement first.

Because the club's in very serious trouble, like a sinking ship getting rid of the last bit of ballast. Fuck me, we have terrible players on 6 figure salaries, tea ladies on minimum wage and we still can't see the light. Get rid of the shit that's draining the club, not the bits that hardly make a difference to the bottom line. Mr McCabe is killing our club, he's not bothered either and you know why? Because some of you are still gullible enough to be excited about next season. He knows he can shit on you over and over again and you'll still come back for more. Can't you see he's given up? He doesn't care anymore and because of that there's fuck all to be excited about. Will you be excited when we go into administration, when we get docked points and end up in division 4 again because the signs are well and truly out there.

Enjoy next season as long as it lasts, it may be the one that finally sees us die without so much as a whimper. Me? I've given up already, I hate what we've become. When we went to the 4th last time you could see it was a blip, we had some fight about us as a club and yes I was there so please don't accuse me of being some fair weather fan. I finally wised up, this isn't the Sheffield United I knew and loved, this is a rich mans plaything that he got bored with. Big Blade? Yeah whatever.

I have to say I think some of my generation (in our 50`s) sometimes have a rose tinted view on TC
Dont get me wrong he was the finest footballer I have ever seen pull on a Blades shirt and as a teen I idolised him and he was God like in my eyes.
And then he shat all over me by breaking his kneck to get away as soon as the club hit hard times and moving to Leeds. He wasnt forced out he wanted out and made that obvious.Or so it seemed to me at the time ,if anyon knows differently I`d be interested to hear.
He had nothing to do with SUFC until it was rumoured he was struggling and the likes of Deaf Leopard and a whole list of minor celeb Blades organised his testimonial and he came back into the Sheffield publics focus.
And the club gave him a job as the community liason officer presumiably because of his high profile.

A great player whos had a good living out of what was comparatively a short Blades playing career and if its a choice between him and say one of Pembertons acadamy coaches going I know where I prefer the axe to fall.

Fair call I suppose, still a sad ending to his association with the Blades if true although I still can`t see any official announcement. I also grew up idolising the man but only met him once a few years back as I was coming out of the club shop, he stopped me in my tracks and mentioned something about prices, I wanted to get some words out but was completely slackjawed, might have even blushed which is a bit embarrasing at 50, I think I managed a croak or two of gibberish before he gave me a kindly smile and went on his way. Good Luck TC and all the best.

Because the club's in very serious trouble, like a sinking ship getting rid of the last bit of ballast. Fuck me, we have terrible players on 6 figure salaries, tea ladies on minimum wage and we still can't see the light. Get rid of the shit that's draining the club, not the bits that hardly make a difference to the bottom line. Mr McCabe is killing our club, he's not bothered either and you know why? Because some of you are still gullible enough to be excited about next season. He knows he can shit on you over and over again and you'll still come back for more. Can't you see he's given up? He doesn't care anymore and because of that there's fuck all to be excited about. Will you be excited when we go into administration, when we get docked points and end up in division 4 again because the signs are well and truly out there.

Enjoy next season as long as it lasts, it may be the one that finally sees us die without so much as a whimper. Me? I've given up already, I hate what we've become. When we went to the 4th last time you could see it was a blip, we had some fight about us as a club and yes I was there so please don't accuse me of being some fair weather fan. I finally wised up, this isn't the Sheffield United I knew and loved, this is a rich mans plaything that he got bored with. Big Blade? Yeah whatever.
Then I assume this will be the last time you post on this forum..?

I hate what this club has become.
Perhaps it's time for me to hang my boots up,some of the comments in this thread make me angry.

Princess Anne is bang on the money.

Princess Anne is bang on the money.
He is. We could really use a root and branch clear out of this forum. I, for one welcome the end of pathetic, pissy whiners jumping at every chance to complain predicting the death of our club every summer before a ball has even been kicked.

He is. We could really use a root and branch clear out of this forum. I, for one welcome the end of pathetic, pissy whiners jumping at every chance to complain predicting the death of our club every summer before a ball has even been kicked.

Debt to make a southern European country look prudent,....... beg n' borrow players.......rent BDTBL.....sack the tea lady ..............

I've backed this club for more years than i care to remember.......... and i'd love to cheer but don't try to deny me the right to complain.

Debt to make a southern European country look prudent,....... To who?
beg n' borrow players....... Like who?
rent BDTBL..... At what rate?
sack the tea lady .............. Pathetic.

I've backed this club for more years than i care to remember.......... and i'd love to cheer but don't try to deny me the right to complain.
By all means complain. I'm not trying to deny you anything. But you said you're done with the club. So be done with it and leave us alone.

Oh, and while you're at it, please don't question the commitment or integrity of those that find letting go less easy to do.

But you said you're done with the club

'Perhaps' ................... did you miss that bit ?

The debt ? :D now thats a reight can of worms ! On paper it looks like we owe it to McWobbleGob but there is a BUT.

Beg n' borrow players ? Oh i thought that's what we did now ....how much did we pay for Cofie ?

Sack the tea lady ? Has there not been a clear out of low paid workers at BDTBL ? (and i don't mean Trevor Birch)

As for questioning commitment or integrity :p

The debt ? :D now thats a reight can of worms ! On paper it looks like we owe it to McWobbleGob but there is a BUT..... Would you agree that owing money to the major stockholder instead of a bank could be seen to be a more prudent option? There is debt across football, and we're no different to many clubs.

Beg n' borrow players ? Oh i thought that's what we did now ....how much did we pay for Cofie ?.... Football clubs all over the world have been loaning players for years. Why is this suddenly a sign of our depravity?

Sack the tea lady ? Has there not been a clear out of low paid workers at BDTBL .... The term "sack the tea lady" has a very simplistic tone to it that does not indicate a thorough grasp of the situation. It reads like a Daily Mirror argument.

If cuts need making and Toddy's doing the job then why keep him on for sentiment alone.

Currie must be cracking on for 60-65, and if he's getting redundancy terms anything like 2 weeks / year he'll retire on it. I'm sure he's been in post for something like 20 years (I remember him shepherding kids around not much younger than me in the 80s in pre-match 'entertainment')

He's 63 next January (his BD is New Year's day) and United have employed him (I think) since 1987, so he has had the job for 25 years.

All sentimentality aside, it is blindingly clear that United would not have given Currie in a job which, by all accounts, was not really his forte, if he had not been one of our best ever playets. Effectively, he got a testimonial and a job for 25 years out of an 8 year playing career with United.

In reality, United have employed a man for mainly sentimental reasons for 25 years. I don't think anyone can complain if, with TC nearing retirement age, it's time for that arrangment to end.

So what kind of forum would you prefer one where there was no debate ? I think they call those sort of things appreciation societies you know where everyone tells everyone else how good something is and hold hands in a circle singing Kumbaya
Myself I'd love to see the argument that shows as a club that we are progressing............... you know getting better, improving that sort of thing, trouble is it is a bit hard to argue that about a club in free fall. We are in a worse state now than we were that cold night against Port Vale with Adrian Heath in charge some would say in a worse state than when we were relegated to division 4 at least then we owned the stadium and our debt levels were nothing compared to today's mess. As an argument "There is debt across football, and we're no different to many clubs." does not cut it. At least the pathetic, pissy whiners show they care about the club, some of the people on this forum seem to think being a supporter is all about how much money they spend and accepting any shit the club serve up without complaining.

So what kind of forum would you prefer one where there was no debate ? I think they call those sort of things appreciation societies you know where everyone tells everyone else how good something is and hold hands in a circle singing Kumbaya
Myself I'd love to see the argument that shows as a club that we are progressing............... you know getting better, improving that sort of thing, trouble is it is a bit hard to argue that about a club in free fall. We are in a worse state now than we were that cold night against Port Vale with Adrian Heath in charge some would say in a worse state than when we were relegated to division 4 at least then we owned the stadium and our debt levels were nothing compared to today's mess. As an argument "There is debt across football, and we're no different to many clubs." does not cut it. At least the pathetic, pissy whiners show they care about the club, some of the people on this forum seem to think being a supporter is all about how much money they spend and accepting any shit the club serve up without complaining.

When we were relegated to Division 4, multi millionaire Reg Brealey owned the club and could have closed it down any time he felt like it. These days multi millionaire Kevin McCabe owns the club and could close it down any time he felt like it.

Plus ca change.....

When we were relegated to Division 4, multi millionaire Reg Brealey owned the club and could have closed it down any time he felt like it. These days multi millionaire Kevin McCabe owns the club and could close it down any time he felt like it.

Plus ca change.....

The big difference was for all his faults Reg did care a little bit and invested in the team to make sure we only had one season down there, and he was never quite as high on the rich list as our Kev

The big difference was for all his faults Reg did care a little bit and invested in the team to make sure we only had one season down there, and he was never quite as high on the rich list as our Kev

What?! Reg cared more than McCabe?

Dear me, someone has let time heal some wounds.

What?! Reg cared more than McCabe?

Dear me, someone has let time heal some wounds.

Well we only spent one season in division 4 after buying players, not loaning players or free transfers..........
make your mind up who cared more even if it was only for a split second. :D

As an argument "There is debt across football, and we're no different to many clubs." does not cut it.
It actually sums up precisely the argument. We are in debt, along with other clubs, and as we're in a lower division we have a smaller turnover. Apparently we're not prudent enough, but cutting costs is a bad thing.

At least the pathetic, pissy whiners show they care about the club.
They care so much they're considering walking away. Some care so much they can't be arsed to make a 10 minute bus ride to the Lane. These are the true fans. They really care.

I thought we were better than the S6 mob ....remember what they did to DD ?

Were in the fooking mess were in through one man Mr McWobblegob.

We've seen it with some of the other threads, like the olympics, that certain people will always try to drag others down in anyway they can because they have a separate agenda, whatever that may be.

The Olympics, despite some small issues which you would expect for such a major event has started succesfully and the doubters have gone quiet.

Here we have a rumour that a legendary player of the 70's is no longer at the club, we don't have confirmation of this or the reasons why (if true). Its just another chance to bash the club. Fine. But as many have said, what does TC do?

Many jumped on the rumour that pembo was leaving. He didn't leave and is carrying on his work.

Nobody likes where the club is right now, we came awfully close to getting back to the championship missing out at the last game and playoffs. Yet some talk us down to the 4th division, slightly sad to wish us relegated to suit your argument.

We may well end up down there, but we're not there now and on our most recent league showing, we sat in 3rd from top, not 3rd bottom. Season starts very soon and I assume that unless we get 10 wins on the bounce, itll remain doom and gloom.

Personally I've tried not to think too much about the blades over the summer since that final game down in Exeter, I've submerged myself in other sports rather than football and had a great summer. Im almost ready for the season to start!

As for TC, I'm not sure what he does now, I know he did a lot of work with football in the community for years, but I don't know if he still does that. Do we still need him. I have no idea, but then again I don't pay much interest I the staffing and resources behind the scenes. You just can't compare this to the on field side of things.

It actually sums up precisely the argument. We are in debt, along with other clubs, and as we're in a lower division we have a smaller turnover. Apparently we're not prudent enough, but cutting costs is a bad thing.

They care so much they're considering walking away. Some care so much they can't be arsed to make a 10 minute bus ride to the Lane. These are the true fans. They really care.

Still waiting to hear where the club is progressing ???

tip:- if you don't like it shut your eyes, put your fingers in your, ears scream WHAAA WHAAA WHAAA and keep your dreamworld intact

Back
Top Bottom