Tony McMahon.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Just watched Bradford game tonight.

McMahon is a main man for Bradford, takes all corners and free kicks, plays a progressive midfield role and took the penalty tonight.

No need for me to venture my personal opinion about when he was with us but I'll say that the general view on here was damning - "never a footballer in a million years" type of attitude. " Good riddance" etc.

We are a big club but we are also a non-achieving club. Our fans are to some degree in "cloud cuckoo land" with their expectations.

Just take a minute to think where Tony McMahon is happiest - at Bradford where he is a main man, or in Sheffield as a whipping boy. Then think what "environment" gets the best results from human beings/ players. Derision/ ridicule and abuse or acceptance and indeed support??

Bradford are a good club, very close to us in the league with knowledgeable fans. Aren't we a bit above ourselves fellas?

Just watched Bradford game tonight.

McMahon is a main man for Bradford, takes all corners and free kicks, plays a progressive midfield role and took the penalty tonight.

No need for me to venture my personal opinion about when he was with us but I'll say that the general view on here was damning - "never a footballer in a million years" type of attitude. " Good riddance" etc.

We are a big club but we are also a non-achieving club. Our fans are to some degree in "cloud cuckoo land" with their expectations.

Just take a minute to think where Tony McMahon is happiest - at Bradford where he is a main man, or in Sheffield as a whipping boy. Then think what "environment" gets the best results from human beings/ players. Derision or ridicule and abuse??

Interestingly Woodward (well for me at least), he was in the Bradford dugout in the youth cup game at the lane last month. He appears to be to be enjoying all aspects of the club.

Think this season is our rubicon, failure to win promotion will result in crowds of 14-15,000 IMO next season. I would replace the "are" with "were" in the above.

He seemed to think that he was the bees knees when he was with United. I think that was "cloud cuckoo land" to be fair, I thought at his best he was distinctly average at this level.

Sorry, McMahon was terrible.

Clearly you aren't knowledgeable. :)

He started off okay but lost form and was poor at the end. Can't remember too many being upset when he went. How a player finding good form again and being popular with fans of his latest club makes Bradford fans knowledgeable as a group is beyond me.

• Banned
He seemed to think that he was the bees knees when he was with United. I think that was "cloud cuckoo land" to be fair, I thought at his best he was distinctly average at this level.

I still think he thinks he's the "bees knees" but it seems he is now, that's the whole point.

The pressure and "environment" at Bramall Lane, a big club, seems to conspire against players both individually and collectively.

Bradford fans are a warm, whole-hearted crowd who have less expectations even though they have been in the Premier League recently.

McMahon to them is probably an asset, no worlbeater, nowhere near as good as McCall or Hendrie, but plenty good enough for League 1 and an honest trier. Give them another 8/9 players like him plus 2/3 quality players and they will be delighted.

For us McMahon was the butt of abuse and anathema.

• Banned
Think this season is our rubicon, failure to win promotion will result in crowds of 14-15,000 IMO next season. I would replace the "are" with "were" in the above.

Still are unfortunately.

And BTW the big fall in attendances has been forecast for 50 years that I know of!!

Never happens, why I really do not know, but it never happens. The only rational explanation is the fact that we are a 2 club City and the rivalry ensures tribal loyalties, despite the poor standards and non-achievement at both clubs.

He was clearly a decent player. I couldn't understand the ridicule he'd get despite the bad moments. There's quite a few with single figure IQ's at the lane though

I still think he thinks he's the "bees knees" but it seems he is now, that's the whole point.

The pressure and "environment" at Bramall Lane, a big club, seems to conspire against players both individually and collectively.

Bradford fans are a warm, whole-hearted crowd who have less expectations even though they have been in the Premier League recently.

McMahon to them is probably an asset, no worlbeater, nowhere near as good as McCall or Hendrie, but plenty good enough for League 1 and an honest trier. Give them another 8/9 players like him plus 2/3 quality players and they will be delighted.

For us McMahon was the butt of abuse and anathema.
I don't really recall him as a trier, more as someone who strolled about in games. My overriding memory of McMahon is still how he used to smack 5-10 yard passes to a team-mate, almost trying to hit it as hard as he could, stopping to admire it, then being perplexed if the ball wasn't immediately controlled.

I would agree that the pressure of playing in front of a big and sometimes boisterous crowd can overawe players.

Big time Charlie or absolute wanker or useless piece of shit. You can have all 3 if you want.

You or McMahon Sitwell? Joking of course:);)

He's a main man at Bradford, they must be mass wankers or huge dumps of shit then, or proper "charlies" the lot of them. Wonder where they are in the league.

Big time Charlie or absolute wanker or useless piece of shit. You can have all 3 if you want.

You're missing the point. He's now playing well. Someone knowledgeable spotted his ability while he was here and is pointing that out. It's not just Bradford fans who are " knowledgeable" you know, although most football fans are knowledgeable enough to think highly of a player when he joins their club and plays well.

I'll tell you what I do miss about him, the ability to wind up the opposition. Our lot are too wet.

That's called "commitment" or "fighting spirit" or "making the most of what you've got or not got".

Having the bottle and the spirit to create a spark to get your team going when the chips are down. A bit Doyle- like.

You're right we don't have anybody left who does that, maybe Collins stands alone.

I was impressed when we signed him then he went downhill fast.

Another lad prone to a red card that we can do without.

The real point I'm making in the O.P. is about the unrealistic expectations of Blades fans, not Tony McMahon particularly, though his is a prime example of a club that consistently fails to get the best out of players, regardless of who is the manager. Thing is he has become a big figure at Bradford City and nobody could ever criticise his commitment while he was with us either. Wasn't he one of those who always came to us away fans even when we'd lost? Yes he was.

The more you lower your ambitions, the more players fit into the catagory of "decent".
He was a liability who continually walked the disciplinary tightrope. Didn't exactly set the world on fire at Blackpool did he in what was a real sea of shite. Bradford is where he can be the big 'I am'. Our club is just a little too big for his cocksure ego

Why wouldn't he flourish elsewhere? A lot of our fans are negative, whinging cunts.

Bet he couldn't wait to leave.

Can we lock this in the cliche box with"it's this season or bust" and "there will never be a better chance for promotion" blah blah.

Clearly you aren't knowledgeable. :)

He started off okay but lost form and was poor at the end. Can't remember too many being upset when he went. How a player finding good form again and being popular with fans of his latest club makes Bradford fans knowledgeable as a group is beyond me.

I'd agree that he started off well and got worse. There was definitely a decent player there but just lost the plot for me.

I saw that he'd scored tonight and instantly knew there'd be someone on here saying he was now a world beater and that obviously isn't the case, nor is it the fans fault that he underperformed here.

What the OP suggests is that if we put all players on a pedestal they'll be good. To me the players should be professional enough to perform well each week to then deserve being put on a pedestal. McMahon's performances dipped and as a senior player and high paid member of the team it wasn't appreciated by the fans.

That's his fault not ours.

I may suggest that was Lee Butler who spotted that he had the talent when with us...

I believe he was an England Youth, decent apprenticeship and then mojo went. But he knew how to hit a dead ball, realised how to get a crowd going by winding up the opposition, but yes, could have been more controlled...

I don't remember him playing the pigs, but that would have been perfect.

I wish him well as a man who was committed and as mentioned on this thread we ain't got many/ any in that mould and frankly we need a few...

Bradford is where he can be the big 'I am'. Our club is just a little too big for his cocksure ego

I've lived and worked in the Bradford area for nearly 30 years now. I know a lot of their fans. They have a good loyal fanbase that has a bit more patience and bit less ego than ours - our club is not as big as some of our fans "cocksure egos". Oh and they are now above us in the league you billy fucking big time!

Had better, had worse.. move on. Hardly fucking Vas Borbokis was he? Was a good signing on paper, unfortunately we sold our best players prior to his arrival. I believe he personified the change in aesthetic and approach to how played the next season under Wilson, where defence was tightened and expression shelved. That type of signing, unless coupled with roaring success (if which was the case he'd be classed as one of those cult heroes who dragged us from this shite league) will never truly become a favourite at this football club.

Back
Top Bottom