Tony McMahon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Some things just dont change!....Blackpool 2 up inside half an hour until calamity McMahon sees red.....Fulham now level! Captain liability!

The guy was a loon,you could see him get wound up and you just knew he'd retaliate in full view of everyone at the game

Funny how some descriptions seem to travel with certain players wherever they go!! Maybe NC's approach is the right one...."If you cant change the player, change the player!" :cool:

Collins and Butler might be the same type of characters.
No wonder Maguire had to be good playing in a defence of :
Long
Macmahon-Collins-Maguire-hill.

Hmmmm..when you put it like that! Compare that to Alcock-McCarthy-McEverley-Harris.......would you swap? Not for me.

Cutbush city limits, hmm that reminds me. John Cutbush was a number two, signed (from memory) in 1977 from Fulham for £15k. Like Mc Mahon a veritable number 2

Cutbush city limits, hmm that reminds me. John Cutbush was a number two, signed (from memory) in 1977 from Fulham for £15k. Like Mc Mahon a veritable number 2
Scored from a great angled shot from the right at the Kop end against Brighton in April 1978

Scored from a great angled shot from the right at the Kop end against Brighton in April 1978

His dental work was impeccable, as I recall

Collins and Butler might be the same type of characters.
No wonder Maguire had to be good playing in a defence of :
Long
Macmahon-Collins-Maguire-hill.

You forget the abomination that was:

Long
Westlake - Collins - Maguire - Williams

*shudders*

The strangest thing about MacMahon was how the club tried to market him as a 'fans favourite'. He was probably my least favourite player in the whole squad. His attitude stunk and he thought he was better than he was. Good free kicks, mind.

I remember alot of fans lauding the signing of McMahon. Shows what we know.

Seemed like a decent signing at the time and he had turned down the offer to stay at Boro.

Although I think that loan spell at Wednesday must have damaged him. :)

Seemed like a decent signing at the time and he had turned down the offer to stay at Boro.

Although I think that loan spell at Wednesday must have damaged him. :)

He did.

Makes me laugh though how some fans (ie those that lauded McMahons arrival) still see fit to write off potential signings without seeing them play in red and white.

You forget the abomination that was:

Long
Westlake - Collins - Maguire - Williams

*shudders*

The strangest thing about MacMahon was how the club tried to market him as a 'fans favourite'. He was probably my least favourite player in the whole squad. His attitude stunk and he thought he was better than he was. Good free kicks, mind.
yeah all 2 of them ,out of about 500 ,I wonder how many goals that cost us ?

Didn't he also get one at Oxford in the cup a couple of weeks later?

He did indeed, I witnessed it. Think he hit the woodwork quite a few times. I remember him smashing a penalty against the upright in the crazy home game under Morgan v Brentford. Then he hit it again in injury time.

He did indeed, I witnessed it. Think he hit the woodwork quite a few times. I remember him smashing a penalty against the upright in the crazy home game under Morgan v Brentford. Then he hit it again in injury time.

I still feel pissed off at that game, even though for the neutral it was probably one of the best in many years at the Lane.

The guy was a proper dick and his mum was worse. Night before a match once they were both in the Copthorne bar with McCabe and she was talking unnecessarily loudly to make herself heard - didn't have much to say though if I remember rightly.

Hes a right back and looks like Lee Dixon. That's where the resemblance ends.

I enjoyed chatting to his dad at away games, larger than life character, with his side kick from tyneside. They were decent blokes.

I don't think he was so bad.

HH

I enjoyed chatting to his dad at away games, larger than life character, with his side kick from tyneside. They were decent blokes.

I don't think he was so bad.

HH
I can never understand the shit he got,even though i never rated him there were certainly worse players than him at our club at that time,including players that are still here now.They don't get half as much stick as he got.

Back
Top Bottom