To Wembley or not to Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wembley Semis

• Yes

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 144 87.8%

• Total voters

To be honest, it is embarassing that a club of our size, and on the brink of getting promoted to the Prem, had so many empty seats at Wembley.
In saying that, it’s everyone's right to choose, and I’m certainly not having a go at anyone who chose not to go.
I’m guessing that there were many and varied reasons for it, ranging from the undoubted cost issues, in a cost of living crisis, accessibility reasons, and the just plain couldn’t be arsed it’s on the telly, and we’ll get beat anyway.Wherever the non attenders fitted in on that spectrum, I’m not bothered.
For me one of the reasons was the utterly ridiculous way the club decided to sell the semi final tickets. The tickets were sold late, and it was made very difficult for people to sit together, with friends who weren’t season ticket holders, and for the less regular visitors to the Lane to get theretickets.
I’m a season ticket holder, and usually go to the Blades Wembley appearanceswith the Mrs and friends, who are blades, but not regular attendees. And this time it was impossible to get them tickets until only a matter of days before the game. By then it was too late, as decisions about trains staying over had to be made much earlier than that.
In the end, I went down with a mate who was City, but not a regular,who got his ticket within days of getting to the semi.
I could easily have taken another 3 or 4 blades,but couldn't due to the way the tickets were sold.I’m sure there were others in the same boat.
It was obvious from the start that United would easily be able to accomodate all its season ticket holders and attendees who go regularly and would also need the support of friends and family and the more casual Lane attendees to sell out their allocation. Mr Bettis however doesn’t seem to be able to do maths very well.
In short we restricted access to tickets to a market, that wasn’t big enough to sell them in.Very clever, and that was obvious right at the beginning. Indeed, many were saying this on this forum, right from the start.I’m not advocating a free for all by the way, but surely there was a better way of doing it.
You dropped a clanger Mr Bettis, and need to learn from your mistake.
I have written to him on this matter, but don’t hold out much hope of ever getting a reply.
If I do, I will of course publish it on here.
Only one reason for it and thats club retard using its "retardness" to full capacity pardon the pun.

Wembley is a day out for the daytrippers, every single club that gets less average attendances than the Wembley ticket availability has an army of daytrippers waiting to snap tickets up as soon as they can.

This dickhead of a club prevents them from going, first with giving season ticket holders and big loyalty points holders three weeks to make their minds up, then its one ticket per person and only if you have 500 points because somebody in their family might just happen to have a Man City fan somewhere in it.

It's bleeding pathetic and they'll still do it again next time.

We averaged 28788 so far this season and they are realistically the ONLY PEOPLE WITH ANY LOYALTY POINTS.

The same 28,788 who are there pretty much every week.

So what was the plan to shift 34000 tickets ?

Ahh yes, shut the ticket office early on Thursday, and don't open at all on Friday

Dickheads, total dickheads

I’ve only just realised that Man C’s ground is only 53,400. Would have thought it was a lot bigger than that!
Only 53,400 ???
Similar in size to Anfield.
There's only four club stadiums that are bigger that I can think of in England

I’ve only just realised that Man C’s ground is only 53,400. Would have thought it was a lot bigger than that!
They are expanding it to 60000.
If it had been held at Old Trafford, Manchester City would have been in the ManUtd home side. That is almost indecent (imagine our neighbours in the home end at Bramall Lane?)
Can't imagine BDTBL ever hosting a semi, or the pigs being in one.

As Carragher alludes to, the fa are bothered about recouping their money from building Wembley, hence Wembley semi finals, playoff finals etc. For me there was no need for a National Stadium in the first place. Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc all seem to do OK at international level without one.

Nice to see that the FA are trying to make an exception to not showing a Sat 3pm kick off for Man City on Coronation Day, yet they expect supporters from anywhere to travel to Wembley to kick off at stupid o’clock, meaning trains are scarcer, and dare I say it, potentially leaving before the end especially if extra time/penalties are needed. If a hugely significant number of tickets went to the clubs, Old Trafford, Villa Park would be fine.

All those empty seats on either side of the player's tunnel. belong to Club Wembley and the prawn sandwich brigade. They are allowed to go to all matches at Wembley England game cup finals/playoff finals etc. so if they don't want to go to these games seems fine.

Anfield will soon be 61k, The Etihad has just been granted planning permission for 61k, I’m sure St James’s will be expanding in the near future. Everton’s new ground (55k) is nearing completion. Don’t think Villa have any plans to expand Villa Park, Old Traffords a dump and needs a total rebuild, Leeds won’t be expanding in the Championship. I can’t really see any other team in the North or Midlands needing to expand their stadiums to 60k+

I'm on the side of only holding the final at Wembley...that said... My brother took his youngest to Wembley on Saturday and the picture of him on Wembley way coupled with him saying it was the best day of his life makes me question this....

Back
Top Bottom