Time to factor in Fleetwood?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A serious question from a non-attending supporter (distance).
Have we got over out historic problem of "bottling"?
I know results haven't been perfect, but from what I read on here + stats, it seems that our performances on the pitch have been routinely pretty good against main rivals (except maybe Fleetwood at home?)
Have we got "the bottle" to keep going? :rolleyes:

From what we've seen up to now yes. The squad has unity and confidence in each other, and like someone says above the fear of losing has left!
UTFB

Plus one of those wins was against us.

That said, have they got the depth on their squad to keep their form going? I'm not so sure.

Not that long to go though.

Their next 2 fixtures should answer that question, however.

Fleetwood WILL be a threat......But not to us.

This!

Another team coming into the mix just adds to the pressure for scunny and Bolton. All three have to play eachother too which means points will be dropped.

Looking at the scunny and Bolton forums I think they've written us off and are just hoping for second. Even David wheater a senior pro at Bolton has said we're up so that tells you all you need to know about their mindset

A serious question from a non-attending supporter (distance).
Have we got over out historic problem of "bottling"?
I know results haven't been perfect, but from what I read on here + stats, it seems that our performances on the pitch have been routinely pretty good against main rivals (except maybe Fleetwood at home?)
Have we got "the bottle" to keep going? :rolleyes:

Historically the answer would be that we will bottle it.... however there is a completely different feel around the place now! And yesterday's performance was dominant (especially 2nd half)... The roar from the Kop as the players came over to clap was sensational... the fans are starting to believe... good times ahead

Yes history says we can and will bottle it. I'm a pessimist, but maybe it's time not to look behind us but to look forward with confidence.

The footballing gods have never liked us. Equally maybe even they are now sick of Wembley.

Funnily enough when it comes to bottling it I am watching events at the Sty with interest. Good signing that Jordan Rhodes. If there's going to be any choking going on this season it is more likely to be in South Barnsley.

Too true! I'm happy with how we're playing, but this is united, so the more points on the board, the better!

Really? I'm sure he's a wealthy man, but I doubt that Andy Pilley's in that sort of league, unless there's somebody else lurking there. Our resident expert will be along to give his view later no doubt :)

He's certainly got a few quid but no, not exactly Richard Branson. They're living the dream at the moment, the fans can't quite believe what's happening, all 3361 of them :)

I keep waiting for them to falter and as others have said, it will be interesting to see how they do in the next couple of weeks. I still reckon Bolton for 2nd.

We don't play this Tuesday, neither do Fleetwood, meanwhile Scunthorpe are home to Wimbledon and Bolton are home to Brizzle. The gap could be down to 4 points.

Blades 68
Scunthorpe 64
Bolton 61
Fleetwood 61

The next games:
Bolton vs Wimbledon
Rochdale vs Blades
Scunthorpe vs Fleetwood

Meaning the table could be:
Blades 68
Scunthorpe 67
Bolton 64
Fleetwood 61

or

Blades 71
Scunthorpe 65
Fleetwood 62
Bolton 61

Yes noticed next weeks games...you would think Bolton and Scunny will win in the week and then next week Bolton's game is winnable too. They were poor yesterday but expect 6 points in next week.

Same for Scunny.

Does not always work that way but means we could do with winning at Rochdale really. With a big backing and another performance like last few and we will be fine.

We don't play this Tuesday, neither do Fleetwood, meanwhile Scunthorpe are home to Wimbledon and Bolton are home to Brizzle. The gap could be down to 4 points.

Blades 68
Scunthorpe 64
Bolton 61
Fleetwood 61

The next games:
Bolton vs Wimbledon
Rochdale vs Blades
Scunthorpe vs Fleetwood

Meaning the table could be:
Blades 68
Scunthorpe 67
Bolton 64
Fleetwood 61

or

Blades 71
Scunthorpe 65
Fleetwood 62
Bolton 61
it could be anything

cant see us losing to faltering rochdale to be honest
be happy with a 4 or 5 point gap saturday with games in hand gone
a draw or two would be nice
see fleetwood beating bolton , they are crap away

Yes history says we can and will bottle it. I'm a pessimist, but maybe it's time not to look behind us but to look forward with confidence.

The footballing gods have never liked us. Equally maybe even they are now sick of Wembley.

Funnily enough when it comes to bottling it I am watching events at the Sty with interest. Good signing that Jordan Rhodes. If there's going to be any choking going on this season it is more likely to be in South Barnsley.

My dog is still waiting for an apology, by the way....

IMG_2472.JPG

If we are bothered about Fleetwood we might as well all pack it in. Yes they won at our place and I respect what they are achieving but if we seriously worry about them then we are fucked.
It's about what we do,no-one else.

If we are bothered about Fleetwood we might as well all pack it in. Yes they won at our place and I respect what they are achieving but if we seriously worry about them then we are fucked.
It's about what we do,no-one else.

Agree Fleetwood were very limited at our place.

They won because of Roslers superb tactics.
He knew we were better so there was no point trying to match us.

He must have seen how we struggled to break down 9 man Bury and Shrewsbury
So Fleetwood parked the bus meaning there was no space to play through them or get behind them.
Our main attack against Fleetwood was numerous crosses and corners but we stood no chance against their big centre backs. We did loads of attacking that night but never looked like scoring.

Rosler knew that by sitting back our defence would be camped on the half way line and we were vulnerable to quick counter attacks. Rosler knew his team could frustrate us and he was confident if they countered quickly in numbers then they could beat us.

2-0 was a fair and deserved scoreline on the night.
It highlighted our lack of height and physicality when playing teams that defend deep in their box. So well done Wilder/ Knill for recognising this weakness and sorting it out by bringing in Hanson.

Fleetwood will now feel they're in the title race

Welcome Fleetwood.

Just played a tricky away match,3 rd and 4th place played at home and the gap hasn't closed.

Good day blades.

Thought I'd see this thread again.

I know promotion is the main aim and we've got a healthy lead on 3rd, but Fleetwood are an unexpected fly in the ointment now. Really didn't need a wildcard to creep into the picture at this late stage, but it's on.

Wouldn't want to finish 2nd to them. Pigs would have a field day.

Personally I'd be disappointed if we came 2nd to Fleetwood

You may have to suck up the disappointment as if you look at Fleetwoods run in it's difficult to see where they will lose a game by far the easiest run in of any of the top four.

If current form of the last two months is maintained Fleetwood will win the league and we will finish second.

Wouldn't want to finish 2nd to them. Pigs would have a field day.

Pigs have nothing to come on that score, in the numerous times they have been down at this level how many times have they won the division? Precisely none.

Back
Top Bottom