This is mental… but

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One of the few good things about the club in recent years has been the youth set up. Hope removing Heckinbottom from that set up doesn’t cost us.
4/5 year contract, gives him time to bring them into the set up. May well be the boards thinking. But doubt it.

1st responsibility in the tetchy world of man management (and Management generally) is organisation of resources to maximise efficiency; to build effective team working in order to achieve common goals. The early assessment of strengths and weaknesses in order to maximise the former and minimise the latter helps in this process, obviously. Any manager who approaches these tasks by leaving out one of the team's best assets iin order to impose a system that clearly leaves others struggling to plug the gap must be open to serious questions. I love wingers (which Blades wouldn't who have witnessed some of the best examples of them over the years) but it doesn't make much sense trying to fashion a team around a model that can't be built without key components.

The Youtube video of training at Shireclffe prior to the Coventry game I thought quite revealing. Quite apart from the quirky methods employed, the most important factor must be the players acceptance and full support for those methods, and I got the impression the players thought those methods were a joke. It then becomes a question of what gives - do the players go, or the manager?

Our best ever manager was John Harris. Blend and balance was the key to his success.
Slav seemed to favour the blender - chuck 'em in and switch it on.

It’s awful. He’s proven to be useless as a perm manager. I’m sure he’s a lovely man and you can understand his interviews, but his pedigree is non existent.
He won more games than Wilder last season with the same players and a lot less attempts

The length of the contract is fucking ludicrous. We've spent millions just appoint our u23 manager. Beyond amateurish
Posted earlier. He may well have said “ I want 4 to 5 year contract, I want to see where the fruits of my labours with the under 23 will take us “ . I know I wouldn’t want to jeopardise any foundations I had put in place. Allegedly, we have some quality in the youth squad.

A rebuild period in League One you mean.

We will be lucky for any sustained period below the Championship cos if we fall through the door with these wages on our books we are screwed. Perhaps irrevocably

For some of us, this squad is better than the position we are presently in.

4 at the back with this squad and particularly 2 x CB's and the 2 midfield players sat in front have been nearly useless. They have been asked to play a game that has proved virtually impossible.

The logic to play the SJ way was new players, probably at great cost to solve that problem. The board have chosen the other option which is to go back to 352 or 343 that PH has alluded to in the press conference today.

I will repeat what I've written earlier - it was my understanding that the management said before any appointment that the club was to maintain the 3 at the back way of playing and that SJ didn't do that by immediately wanting to play 4 at the back. He said in pre-season that he would play 3 at the back in one game and 4 at the back in the other game. We didn't play the 2nd game v Norwich or any other meaningful games (which was pathetic) so he had little time to practice what he preached of 4 at the back. It seemed quite obvious to me that he always intended to play a 4 from what he was saying in interviews. For some of us, 4 at the back hasn't worked all season except when we've played the shit clubs.

Everything might still backfire with the changes announced today, there's no guarantee with anything - but the club management have returned to a playing management that will play 3 at the back and build on what CW and his management team gave to the club.

I personally didn't mind 4 at the back, but not with the players we had - it would have meant major change - a change that the board didn't want to go through. It's either brave or stupid and time will ultimately tell.

As for L1 - we are way better than L1 and if the club stays on the now chosen direction, there's no reason to think we will go there any time soon.

We should start to climb the league now. This league is very very average and returning to a 352, 343 or 3412 will make us more solid and not to concede silly goals with us being so open down the central spine of the team.

Egan, now he is in effect a spare man, looks much better in the past 2 games- he is the cover player now instead of Norwood and Fleck (when he's back) having to defend as much.

Sorry to see Slav go, his football could have been very exciting if he got the players in to finish the job - but he seems the sort of coach who would always be in the chairman's ear saying "just one more player boss...........please......"

It's a new era now, started by CW and now carried on with the new management team.

Interesting that CW has moved Boro to a 3 at the back - one that the boro fans are already complaining about. Perhaps the 3 at the back is the new wingless wonders of 66 - that most teams will now operate with.

UTB

It's a weird one but he was already contracted to 2026 so I expect we couldn't just give him a shorter contract for a better job.
That actually makes some kind of sense then, keep the same contract length and give him pay rise.

Weve gone from - going to europe to giving u23s manager a 5 yr contract🤦🏻 We are a laughing stock once again thanks to clowns that run our club What a complete n utter fucking shambles

It's a weird one but he was already contracted to 2026 so I expect we couldn't just give him a shorter contract for a better job.
I was wondering if it was to tie in with his current contract, so thanks for clearing that up. I also wonder whether they offered him the job as caretaker again and he told them its either perm or nothing. I reckon he'd be justified in doing that.

Asset stripping? Bring the talented youth through and put them in shop window, take what he can and sell along with the saleable first teamers then sell club?

Asset stripping? Bring the talented youth through and put them in shop window, take what he can and sell along with the saleable first teamers then sell club?
How many youth players do we have to sell to recoup the money spent on Berge, Brewster, and the wages, how do you sell a club for a profit if it doesn’t have any assets?

I was wondering if it was to tie in with his current contract, so thanks for clearing that up. I also wonder whether they offered him the job as caretaker again and he told them its either perm or nothing. I reckon he'd be justified in doing that.

It does sound like he's here for that time, regardless. Also that it wouldn't be a stretch for a manager to come in and he just takes on a dof job.

That’s fair, but we were relegated from a far superior league with a squad of (at best) top end championship players.

If the board weren’t willing to back Slav, then I don’t blame him for walking. It makes sense to bring PH in permanently in that respect, but 5 years…. My word.
He will not be around a year from now.

4 at the back with this squad and particularly 2 x CB's and the 2 midfield players sat in front have been nearly useless. They have been asked to play a game that has proved virtually impossible.

The logic to play the SJ way was new players, probably at great cost to solve that problem. The board have chosen the other option which is to go back to 352 or 343 that PH has alluded to in the press conference today.

I will repeat what I've written earlier - it was my understanding that the management said before any appointment that the club was to maintain the 3 at the back way of playing and that SJ didn't do that by immediately wanting to play 4 at the back. He said in pre-season that he would play 3 at the back in one game and 4 at the back in the other game. We didn't play the 2nd game v Norwich or any other meaningful games (which was pathetic) so he had little time to practice what he preached of 4 at the back. It seemed quite obvious to me that he always intended to play a 4 from what he was saying in interviews. For some of us, 4 at the back hasn't worked all season except when we've played the shit clubs.

Everything might still backfire with the changes announced today, there's no guarantee with anything - but the club management have returned to a playing management that will play 3 at the back and build on what CW and his management team gave to the club.

I personally didn't mind 4 at the back, but not with the players we had - it would have meant major change - a change that the board didn't want to go through. It's either brave or stupid and time will ultimately tell.

As for L1 - we are way better than L1 and if the club stays on the now chosen direction, there's no reason to think we will go there any time soon.

We should start to climb the league now. This league is very very average and returning to a 352, 343 or 3412 will make us more solid and not to concede silly goals with us being so open down the central spine of the team.

Egan, now he is in effect a spare man, looks much better in the past 2 games- he is the cover player now instead of Norwood and Fleck (when he's back) having to defend as much.

Sorry to see Slav go, his football could have been very exciting if he got the players in to finish the job - but he seems the sort of coach who would always be in the chairman's ear saying "just one more player boss...........please......"

It's a new era now, started by CW and now carried on with the new management team.

Interesting that CW has moved Boro to a 3 at the back - one that the boro fans are already complaining about. Perhaps the 3 at the back is the new wingless wonders of 66 - that most teams will now operate with.

UTB
We are not moving far up the table unless we do something about central midfield. Norwood and Hourihane don't tackle or run forward. You need energy in CM in the championship. We knew we had a problem last year and its still the main problem. Fleck hasn't been playing well and could be out for awhile. The standard in the championship is not great but we have been walked over in midfield for most of the season no matter what formation we played.

We are not moving far up the table unless we do something about central midfield. Norwood and Hourihane don't tackle or run forward. You need energy in CM in the championship. We knew we had a problem last year and its still the main problem. Fleck hasn't been playing well and could be out for awhile. The standard in the championship is not great but we have been walked over in midfield for most of the season no matter what formation we played.
Agreed but what has Slav done to counter that, did he try Bash in midfield, no left him on the bench, Guedioura out injured did he chuck Slater on as a holding, tackling midfielder? No

Agreed but what has Slav done to counter that, did he try Bash in midfield, no left him on the bench, Guedioura out injured did he chuck Slater on as a holding, tackling midfielder? No
Basham was average in midfield in League 1.
Right CB of a 3 man defence is his spot.
I do take your point on Slater. I would like to see him get a run to see if he can make it.

Basham was average in midfield in League 1.
Right CB of a 3 man defence is his spot.
I do take your point on Slater. I would like to see him get a run to see if he can make it.
It is fair to ask, just which players have improved under Slav and his team, in either technical ability,positioning, or even effort and commitment, the answers appears to be nobody

It is fair to ask, just which players have improved under Slav and his team, in either technical ability,positioning, or even effort and commitment, the answers appears to be nobody
I am not defending Slav. I think he has made mistakes and has had issues in getting performances out of players. As for Improvement probably just the minimal improvement in Brewster who had his best game this week even though the bar isn't very high. Bogle possibly too.

But to get back to the point I was making. Central Midfield is our biggest weak point and this has not been addressed by the board and not addressed by Slav. Unless Hecky can do something on a shoe string then we are going to continue to struggle.

Surprised Slav has gone this early, has to be budget for January the main reason. I also feel that the players did not like or respect him. There is no way they could have performed as they have so far this season if hey did.
As for Hecky, well, it says we have no money, we know that. The back room team is a good one, all of em gave a shit when they played for us. Let's hope that equals a decent turn around to the season.
The one thing about being a Blade is that it's never boring for too long. They always manage to surprise you. Sometimes it's a nice surprise, most of the time utter wank.
UTB

I am not defending Slav. I think he has made mistakes and has had issues in getting performances out of players. As for Improvement probably just the minimal improvement in Brewster who had his best game this week even though the bar isn't very high. Bogle possibly too.

But to get back to the point I was making. Central Midfield is our biggest weak point and this has not been addressed by the board and not addressed by Slav. Unless Hecky can do something on a shoe string then we are going to continue to struggle.
Couldn't agree more CM or more accurately the lack of a CM is obvious to a blind man in a dark room in a power cut

UTB

For those that can't be bothered reading all that it can be summarised as "papering over the cracks"

3 at the back will make us more solid but we will create naff all and barely bore our way out of a relegation scrap. You also say 4 at the back only worked against shit teams. Well 3 at the back has only produced one win and that was a dire 1-0 scraped victory against one of the worst teams I've ever seen in the Championship.

3 at the back is no magical solution. It didn't work for the last year under Wilder, it didn't improve much at all under Hecky and all of a sudden with the same players another abysmal year older we are going to "climb the league now"?... Blimey I need whatever medication you are on.

UTB
The squad is simply not very good. It’s the players.

LOL read that back will you... You're blaming the manager for daring to ask for reinforcements instead of chucking Regan "The Saviour" Slater

It's the length of the contract that's amongst the most baffling bits for me, so far. Although there's a lot of competition on that front...

LOL read that back will you... You're blaming the manager for daring to ask for reinforcements instead of chucking Regan "The Saviour" Slater
No I am blaming the manager for not improving what he had, or trying something else when it was obvious his plan wasn't working, limping towards a transfer window in the hope you can get funds and get players in that make an immediate difference isn't good or effective management.

Hey Prince we need players, but you have a big squad, yeah they aren't good enough, if you were the Prince how would you respond?

Hey Prince we need players, but you have a big squad, yes I do, and I have tried every option that I have, putting Bash, Slater or Brunt in midfield hasn't worked, the 7 days a week intensive coaching hasn't improved our midfield,, which approach do you think would get the results?

It's the length of the contract that's amongst the most baffling bits for me, so far. Although there's a lot of competition on that front...
Hecky was on a long term deal as U23 manager he signed in the summer, if they doubled his wages to take the top job on a 2 year contract, he would have made more money staying put, in a job he was never going to be sacked from or face any criticism in.

Back
Top Bottom