This is mental… but

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Warned about saying he wants some new players. I've defended the board on a couple of occasions in the past, but if this has any ounce of truth to it, they can get in the fucking bin for me.

Jesus christ...

Hecky was on a long term deal as U23 manager he signed in the summer, if they doubled his wages to take the top job on a 2 year contract, he would have made more money staying put, in a job he was never going to be sacked from or face any criticism in.

First thing I've read that makes the length of contract make any sense. I think I've slowly piecing together why everything has happened now other than The Prince suddenly no longer doing media appearances.

Not surprised Hecky's got a five year contract at all, would expect the club to keep him on in his old job even if he's replaced as manager later on......

Oops sorry Mr Bootlace. .......:oops:

First thing I've read that makes the length of contract make any sense. I think I've slowly piecing together why everything has happened now other than The Prince suddenly no longer doing media appearances.
Do you put much weight behind the idea that he is being 'encouraged' to back away due to the new Newcastle ownership?

Personally, I reckon it is more that his ego has taken a whack. You can't argue that he envies the love that the fans had for Wilder. He wanted that too by trying to give the fans what they wanted (Brewster, Jokanovic etc). It isn't working so it's now time to sit back and let the right people do the talking.

The squad is simply not very good. It’s the players.

I genuinely believe we are better than our position says and it's our 4 at the back style that has contributed to where we are.

Have this squad ever been top 2? nope - is it play off material? yes.

The Championship has become a well organised, very competitive division - we've lost that organisation ability under Slav in trying to play a very nice open style of football. Pretty good in possession, rubbish out of possession.

For me. returning to 3 at the back, coupled with change of playing management will galvanise the squad and we'll start climbing the league. I doubt it will be pretty but we'll be functional again and more importantly stop shipping easy goals. We might become Clough Mk 2 - bit boring like we were at Reading, but at least we are back to looking like a unit that doesn't concede.

We have to give it time with Hecky/McCall and Lester.

UTB

I genuinely believe we are better than our position says and it's our 4 at the back style that has contributed to where we are.

Have this squad ever been top 2? nope - is it play off material? yes.

The Championship has become a well organised, very competitive division - we've lost that organisation ability under Slav in trying to play a very nice open style of football. Pretty good in possession, rubbish out of possession.

For me. returning to 3 at the back, coupled with change of playing management will galvanise the squad and we'll start climbing the league. I doubt it will be pretty but we'll be functional again and more importantly stop shipping easy goals. We might become Clough Mk 2 - bit boring like we were at Reading, but at least we are back to looking like a unit that doesn't concede.

We have to give it time with Hecky/McCall and Lester.

UTB
I agree they are better than this: I said 8th, and I'm staying with that.

But this is not a top 6 side IMHO.

The return of the back 3 will not sort out the key problem which is the shocking midfield, a problem just made worse by what happened to poor old Fleck.

the other main problem, which is fixable to a certain extent, is the sheer number of unforced errors this season.

I said this all along regards the surprisingly long contract.
Hecky is quite old and nearing his early retirement years.
He currently has a relatively long term (safe) rewarding job at the SU Academy.

If he accepts being the 1st team manager he changes from long term security to short term security.
At at Heckie’s age, he’s not likely to easily find another job.

So in taking the SU main job he bumps up his salary but risks shortening his financially security.
If Hecky is sacked after 6 months, he’ll be out of the club, we wouldn’t be returning back to manage the Academy.
So any new contract needed a big pension fund (compensation) pay-off built in just in case he’s sacked.

Last edited:
I agree they are better than this: I said 8th, and I'm staying with that.

But this is not a top 6 side IMHO.

The return of the back 3 will not sort out the key problem which is the shocking midfield, a problem just made worse by what happened to poor old Fleck.

the other main problem, which is fixable to a certain extent, is the sheer number of unforced errors this season.

The main issue for me is scoring goals - our lack of quality in and around the box is lamentable - BUT......can the new management team solve that problem?

We won't concede silly/stupid goals now. The midfield might work better with a back 3 - the key is who plays up top.

Hecky has hinted at 343 - so who are the 3 at the top of the pitch?

We might have to start with a solid base, don't concede and win games 1 nil, 2 nil and build confidence.

All I can do is go early Sunday afternoon with an open mind and see what the players are going to do now - it is now over to them to give us something back.

UTB

We won't concede silly/stupid goals now. The midfield might work better with a back 3 - the key is who plays up top.

Hecky has hinted at 343 - so who are the 3 at the top of the pitch?

IMO it's Gibbs White - Oli McBurnie - Ndiaye

Osborn - Norwood - Berge (if fit) - Bogle

Davies - Egan- Basham

L1W

He won more games than Wilder last season with the same players and a lot less attempts
I understand people wanting to look on the bright side, but can we be realistic about what Hecky managed to get out of the team last season? Four goals in eleven games. Four.

He’s at the very best a modest proposition for the job of managing Sheffield United. He got the gig because he’s cheap and he’ll do as he’s told. Let’s at least be honest with ourselves.

that system also got us relegated last season when teams worked it out.

agree about getting behind him but why not appoint him in the summer and why such a long contract?
I've never bought this 'teams worked us out' malarky. That's a narrative which gives far too much credence to other teams and one thet fails to recognise the unaddressed issues in our own squad.

We were pissing the Championship until Coutts got injured and the whole balance of the midfield got hit. Nobody worked us out.

We then got automatics once Norwood came in as a replacement for Coutts. Again nobody worked us out.

We gave a very good account of ourselves in our first PL season and only fell away after lock down and incidentally after O'Connell got injured. Once more nobody worked us out.

O'Connell we then found was badly injured.

We made little to no attempt to prioritize replacing him the following season despite the post lockdown warning signs and what's more we'd totally forgotten what an important aspect 'the Duffy role' had been to our success and for providing attacking variety.

In that abberation of a season we were like a bird with a broken wing and neck.

The entire left side of O'Connell, Fleck and Stevens were all unavailable for lengthy periods and there was no central outlet we had previously with Duffy. I thought we should get Jake Cooper but Davies was a player we angled after but too late and without enough conviction. We also never gave the time of day to Freeman. We'd basically forgotten what worked. But I don't see how us losing such a key cog as O'Connell and not using the Duffy role either, somehow accounted to being found out. We were so weak we relied solely on Baldock to create everything. Then Basham missed games, Egan missed a few too.

We were less effective more of our own making rather than someone coming up with an amazing counterpunch we had no answer to.

I said this all along regards the surprisingly long contract.
Hecky is quite old and nearing his early retirement years.
He currently has a relatively long term (safe) rewarding job at the SU Academy.

If he accepts being the 1st team manager he changes from long term security to short term security.
At at Heckie’s age, he’s not likely to easily find another job.

So in taking the SU main job he bumps up his salary but risks shortening his financially security.
If Hecky is sacked after 6 months, he’ll be out of the club, we wouldn’t be returning back to manage the Academy.
So any new contract needed a big pension fund (compensation) pay-off built in just in case he’s sacked.
You're way off fella. Are you sure you are not confusing him with someone else?

Hecky is 44. He's 10 years younger than Wilder.

Back
Top Bottom