There's a smell of promotion in my nostrils again!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gritty win. Promotion type win.

Let's be honest here despite it being nervy we were better team in 1st half. 2nd half we started poor again until bit before we scored.

Could have been made more comfortable had sharps effort gone in but was decent save.

Players dug in though.

You know for the knockers or pessimists around. We had these types of performances when we went up few years ago. Ground out wins.

Biggest thing tonight after the 3 points is hopefully iliman ain't injured....
Imo with the players we have, a lot of whom have Prem and international experience, the last thing we should be is nervy, we probably have the most experienced squad , which if we are nervy then I'm severely worried for the remainder

Doyle MOM against Spurs and then dropped for next 2 games. Heckys starting to worry me.

but it is relevant. The current comparative goal difference means nothing because GD only becomes important when teams finish on level points.
So in real terms you need to make adjustments for teams finishing on equal points...then compare the goal difference.

The fact remains that if Middlesboro catch us up on points...it's more likely they will be slightly above us on goal difference.
Where as if Blackburn caught us up....it's odds on that we would still be well above them on goal difference.

Before last week, even if Boro did catch us up, then our goal difference was likely to be slightly better (reletatively speaking)
but with them beating Reading 5-0, this now makes them favourites if both clubs finish on level points.
It's only relevant if they score more in their wins. But we could win say 3-0 in each of 5 wins and they win say 1-0 on average in 7 wins.
All guess work really.

Interesting way of looking at. It’s really not that simple. The fact is we have more points and a better GD at present. This relative to the points they have makes no sense? We have played the same games as each other.
Yeah but their goals are better than ours😁

but it is relevant. The current comparative goal difference means nothing because GD only becomes important when teams finish on level points.
So in real terms you need to make adjustments for teams finishing on equal points...then compare the goal difference.

The fact remains that if Middlesboro catch us up on points...it's more likely they will be slightly above us on goal difference.
Where as if Blackburn caught us up....it's odds on that we would still be well above them on goal difference.

Before last week, even if Boro did catch us up, then our goal difference was likely to be slightly better (reletatively speaking)
but with them beating Reading 5-0, this now makes them favourites if both clubs finish on level points.
But we don't only have 3 games left of the season, (they win the next 2 and draw 1 and we lose our next 3 and it's then the end of the season - both finish on 67 points) we have 10 games left - we could beat Luton 5-0 at the weekend - so while what you say is true, right now as it stands, it's more desirable to have a better goal difference, than be 20 behind.
It might play an important role at the end of the season, so even though it's not a guarantee, it's not irrelevant.

Last edited:

It's relevant of course, but goal difference is an important thing. Last season my other team (Bristol Rovers) got promoted on goal difference by winning 7-0 on the last game.
It's all ifs and buts but I would rather have a better goal difference as you never know what might happen, even to the last minute of the last game.

Reactions: HVR
Next 4 league games, Luton (H), Sunderland (A), West Brom (H), Norwich (A). Honestly can’t see us being 2nd still after that run IF we continue current performance levels. Very tough to see ‘Boro not winning all of their next 3.

It's relevant of course, but goal difference is an important thing. Last season my other team (Bristol Rovers) got promoted on goal difference by winning 7-0 on the last game.
It's all ifs and buts but I would rather have a better goal difference as you never know what might happen, even to the last minute of the last game.
But we don't have a better goal difference 😂

Next 4 league games, Luton (H), Sunderland (A), West Brom (H), Norwich (A). Honestly can’t see us being 2nd still after that run IF we continue current performance levels. Very tough to see ‘Boro not winning all of their next 3.

West Brom has been postponed, whilst Boro have PNE at home (Cup weekend). Makes it important we pick up at least one win from our next 3 otherwise a reasonable chance Boro will go ahead of us (albeit we'll have a game in hand).

West Brom has been postponed, whilst Boro have PNE at home (Cup weekend). Makes it important we pick up at least one win from our next 3 otherwise a reasonable chance Boro will go ahead of us (albeit we'll have a game in hand).
I stand corrected. Even with those 3 upcoming league games and add Boro’s into the mix it makes for an uncomfortable next few weeks ahead. Players and management need to find a good performance to match a result from somewhere to give us some momentum.

Nice win at Reading last night, even though it wasn't a good game. Every club in the championship has 11 games remaining.33 points maximum.
Burnley-110 points.
The Blades-100 points
Boro-93 points.
Blackburn-91 points.
Luton-90 points.
Norwich-88 points.
Millwall-97 points.
Coventry-85 points.
West Brom-84 points.
Watford-84 points.
Sunderland-82 points.
The Blades need 94 points, giving us promotion to the Premier League.
As it stands at the moment 27 points are needed.
Obviously, it will change.
we win+3 points.
Boro lose-3 points.
I have made this to make it easy for me to understand.
Hope this help other people as well.

Nice win at Reading last night, even though it wasn't a good game. Every club in the championship has 11 games remaining.33 points maximum.
Burnley-110 points.
The Blades-100 points
Boro-93 points.
Blackburn-91 points.
Luton-90 points.
Norwich-88 points.
Millwall-97 points.
Coventry-85 points.
West Brom-84 points.
Watford-84 points.
Sunderland-82 points.
we win+3 points.
Boro lose-3 points.
So 8 win's and 3 draws from our last 11 games then.
Piece of piss.
late-night-seth-seth-meyers.gif

Not great but good enough. UTB!!
At the end of the season this may go down as one of the most important wins. If we'd lost, I hate to think what the mental state of the players and fans would have been, going into Saturday's game.

Burnley-110 points.
The Blades-100 points
Boro-93 points.
Blackburn-91 points.
Luton-90 points.
Norwich-88 points.
Millwall-97 points.
Coventry-85 points.
West Brom-84 points.
Watford-84 points.
Sunderland-82 points.
we win+3 points.
Boro lose-3 points.
Thanks. It’s of no help whatsoever :)

We have 6 games v bottom half teams 3 home games and 5 home games in all
So possibly 7 winnable games out of 11

And there's only 33 points max available and no one is winning all 11
If we win 7 of last 11 can't see anyone coming close
We have 6,at home not 5

I’m not convinced just yet that we’re nailed on, but I am getting more sure of the weight of the ask by those below.

I’m looking at it like this:

We all have a pot of 33 points available, regardless of who plays who where and when etc. this league anyone can beat anyone, with Burnley being the exception to some extent.

Of that 33 point pot, we’re 7 points in front, so we need 26 points to draw even with the maximum anyone below could get.

This equates to 2.3 points per game. Basically win and draw every 2 games, or win 2 in a row and massively reduce the points per game requirement.

Obviously aim to win them all, but even wins with those below winning further strengthens our cause, as there’s no points gain and less games to make up ground.

We can lose 2 of the 11 to the end of the season as it stands and still be promoted, obviously dependant on results elsewhere.

Every win is a bonus now, draws help but aren’t ideal, losses can be absorbed to an extent.

A big push now is needed, another 3 points Saturday is a real stake in the ground to the chasing pack.

we must play better than we did at reading otherwise luton could well turn us over reading were awful boro would have tanked em 3 or 4 nil having said that if we beat luton and boro somehow slip up at swansea its nearly over for me 10 points over 10 games would be a hell of a gap for boro to close

Back
Top Bottom