The worst football sides in English history - where we may rank

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi, Stegosaurus here,

We're going down. We should embrace that and actively root for a single-digit finish. Make a statement. Get our place in the history books.

If we're gonna be shit. Might as well go for the top of shit mountain.
We?

Why don't you go and embrace your fellow fans at Hillsborough.

I realise our current plight is embarrassing and excruciating to watch but even if we do beat Derby's record is it really that important? We must have played Derby a good few times since then and I can honestly say their record never even once crossed my mind before, during or after we played them. It's a future quiz question and some banter from the pigs but other than that is it really worth the upset it appears to be causing people?

It's a good job we didn't start like the oinkers with a 6 point deduction.
We'd be in danger of being the first team ever to finish a season on minus points!

That would have us on -4 points after 17 matches then!

An unfunny situation if it was the case but I think I'd genuinely just laugh, I mean what else could you do?

I realise our current plight is embarrassing and excruciating to watch but even if we do beat Derby's record is it really that important? We must have played Derby a good few times since then and I can honestly say their record never even once crossed my mind before, during or after we played them. It's a future quiz question and some banter from the pigs but other than that is it really worth the upset it appears to be causing people?
Yes

That would have us on -4 points after 17 matches then!

An unfunny situation if it was the case but I think I'd genuinely just laugh, I mean what else could you do?
I'm kind of already at the level now mate to be honest.
I found myself laughing at my own team yesterday at the pathetic way some of our 'professional footballers' couldn't do the most basic of things.
You know, like passing to our own player rather than the oppo or out of play.

So we need 7 pts from 21 games to avoid becoming the worst team in English football history. 10 more pts to beat the Derby team.

The latter looks impossible for this sorry group to catch.

If we draw say 2 more and win 1 then we get to 7 points which is not enough.

I can't even see 1 win and 2 draws to be honest. I think at best we may scrape a couple more draws.

So we need 7 pts from 21 games to avoid becoming the worst team in English football history. 10 more pts to beat the Derby team.

The latter looks impossible for this sorry group to catch.

If we draw say 2 more and win 1 then we get to 7 points which is not enough.

I can't even see 1 win and 2 draws to be honest. I think at best we may scrape a couple more draws.

Recently I've also started to think we really could go the entire season winless. I won't have any more optimism for this unless we perform any respectable business with the two or so loans we might sign this month.

We've played all the teams around us and haven't beaten them which even includes the newly promoted sides, absolutely battered WBA and still couldn't beat them which I think says the most to be honest. Maybe I'm overthinking here but for the reverse matches I think Fulham are now and will be even more improved than when we drew against them which we were fortunate. WBA at home is the only game I remotely could see us winning but even then they may be better organised under Big Sam by that time, although probably still in the drop zone. BHA at home are another possibility but I think every shot we have needs to somehow find it's way into the net all in the same game for any chance of getting a win even against these three.

Last edited:
Sheff Utd 1975/76 after just having missed out on European qualification the season before.

P42, W6, D10, Pts22 (2 pts for a win)

Doesn't tell the full story as we got 4 wins and a draw in our last 6 games (including a memorable night at Elland Road, thanks Woody) when we knew we were down and the pressure came off.

At this stage we had 4 pts from 1 win and 2 draws so this season is almost a mirror image so far.

It's looking likely to end the same way too so the important thing now is to plan to avoid the slide that followed in the late 70's

It's a long old season.

As shit as we are I can still see us picking up a couple of wins in the second half of the season.

I think we'll finish on 11/12/13 points.

And just think, Fulham missed a penalty and Brighton missed a last minute sitter in the two games we did get a point in.

Recently I've also started to think we really could go the entire season winless. I won't have any more optimism for this unless we perform any respectable business with the two or so loans we might sign this month.

We've played all the teams around us and haven't beaten them which even includes the newly promoted sides, absolutely battered WBA and still couldn't beat them which I think says the most to be honest. Maybe I'm overthinking here but for the reverse matches I think Fulham are now and will be even more improved than when we drew against them which we were fortunate. WBA at home is the only game I remotely could see us winning but even then they may be better organised under Big Sam by that time, although probably still in the drop zone. BHA at home are another possibility but I think every shot we have needs to somehow find it's way into the net all in the same game for any chance of getting a win even against these three.
Decent bet on Sky bet. Think it's 40-1 us not to win.

I've had a tenner.

It's a long old season.

As shit as we are I can still see us picking up a couple of wins in the second half of the season.

I think we'll finish on 11/12/13 points.

I think I would have agreed after Brighton but weve just played 2 of the shittest teams in the league and they have beat us without breaking sweat.

Not sure who we would beat? West Brom home is the only one we have a chance based on how the game went before.

I think I would have agreed after Brighton but weve just played 2 of the shittest teams in the league and they have beat us without breaking sweat.

Not sure who we would beat? West Brom home is the only one we have a chance based on how the game went before.
There will be at least 1 win at the fag end of the season against a team with nothing to play for, out of sympathy if nothing else.

I actually believe that we are better than West Brom and that we will finish above them.

Our problem is that I can't find another two teams to say that about 🤣

We are one of the worst football sides in history full stop, well beyond England.

We need 9 points to avoid the lowest total ever recorded in a major European league.

There will be at least 1 win at the fag end of the season against a team with nothing to play for, out of sympathy if nothing else.

Not sure that holds.

If we're still winless at the fag end of the season the teams that we're left to play won't want to be known as the only team to lose to the worst ever PL team.

However personally, I think we will win a game soon and some level of confidence will return.

Mind you I've been saying that for a couple of months now.

So you keep saying numerous times on numerous threads, it’s as if you’re loving it

Sadly because I just think people don't realize how badly we are doing and how urgent things need to change and how beating that record could destroy us for next season and much longer beyond that.

It's why I'm in favour of spending money on Rojo Lindgard Wilshere etc. for to get us up to 12 points somehow

Maybe we could embarrass the players to battle their way out of becoming worst season record breakers.

For instance, if we made them wear silly pink shirts.

Oh hang on.....

On paper I could see us beating anyone in the bottom half.

West Brom and Brighton being the most obvious though.

Personally, I think we have a long, long way to go to be amongst the "worst teams" in English history.

Not too sure where Darwen are now. But I have seen where Bradford PA, Southport, Barrow, Torquay, Halifax Town, etc. are to name but a few. and we are nowhere near them.

As has been, and will be again, pointed out (unless things go really badly - in which case Wilder will be sacked) we just need money and lots of it.

If that had been available, for transfer fees and wages, then we would not have bought some of the players we have and would, most likely, have bought quite a few players who have gone elsewhere.

We are only bottom of the Premiership for fuck's sake!

Sadly because I just think people don't realize how badly we are doing and how urgent things need to change and how beating that record could destroy us for next season and much longer beyond that.

It's why I'm in favour of spending money on Rojo Lindgard Wilshere etc. for to get us up to 12 points somehow
So you would rather sign the players you mention for the short term, to avoid the stigma of as you put it “ beating that record “ for which there is no guarantee? There is no guarantee of what we do this season affecting next season, if there was we wouldn’t be where we are now

So you would rather sign the players you mention for the short term, to avoid the stigma of as you put it “ beating that record “ for which there is no guarantee? There is no guarantee of what we do this season affecting next season, if there was we wouldn’t be where we are now

It's about club pride and morale and reputation, all of which will affect us going forward whether that be in relation to recruitment, sponsorship etc.

Of course I could be wrong and there are no guarantees but hope 'Wilder's list' doesn't just contain a list of Forest reserves

Not sure that holds.

If we're still winless at the fag end of the season the teams that we're left to play won't want to be known as the only team to lose to the worst ever PL team.

However personally, I think we will win a game soon and some level of confidence will return.

Mind you I've been saying that for a couple of months now.

Hopefully that will be on Saturday and if they do, at least it would give them a little more confidence than what they had before the match albeit in an FA Cup tie.

But no matter what match or competition it's in, getting some confidence back is just so important at the moment.

Does anyone genuinely not care about this? I don't really make any distinction between going down on 2 points and going down on 30+
I don’t really care much - other than the effect it has in Wilder and any players we want to keep for next season.

Back
Top Bottom