The truth about being a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were unlucky that night and you know it. It should have been 12-4 :)

So people keep saying. We had a chance to redress the balance on Tuesday and lo and be fucking hold they turned us over again.

At the Lane, they scored their chances. We didn't. They stopped us from scoring, but we couldn't stop them. Luck has got nothing to do with it. On Tuesday they were able to give us a two goal head start and still come back and win. I hate this myth that we've been playing teams off the park and losing. When it comes down to it Football is about two things. Scoring goals and stopping the opposition doing the same. If you can't do that then you're not playing well.

So people keep saying. We had a chance to redress the balance on Tuesday and lo and be fucking hold they turned us over again.

At the Lane, they scored their chances. We didn't. They stopped us from scoring, but we couldn't stop them. Luck has got nothing to do with it. On Tuesday they were able to give us a two goal head start and still come back and win. I hate this myth that we've been playing teams off the park and losing. When it comes down to it Football is about two things. Scoring goals and stopping the opposition doing the same. If you can't do that then you're not playing well.

You obviously get football, you obviously don't get irony.

I went. I didn't see lack of effort to be honest. I just saw a bunch of players who are crap. Forget the analysis, it's that simple.

UTB

But even poor players should be able to defend a 2 goal lead against one of only two sides that were (at the start of play) below us, and had as poor a scoring record as us. We're not talking about players having to play like Pele here, we're talking about players who are payed a fortune and yet don't even do the very basic things right.

You obviously get football, you obviously don't get irony.

Oh I get the irony, my ire wasn't directed at you, it was at the people who genuinely do think we were hugely unlucky at home to Scunny. Should have made that clearer though, apologies!

The truth about being a Blade

Is thats its a hundred million trillion zillion times better than being a pig.

We're one of our worst outfits at the moment for a long time but we're still better than them!

I dont think its about lack of effort or commitment on the part of the players or even the lack of skills. i gues that man for man, on paper at least you would value our players and rate their individual skills higher than Scunnys and some other teams in the division. The main problem as I see it is that due to a combination of bad luck with injuries and poor procurement of players the results have not been good enogh and more chopping and changing of both players and mnanagers during the season has made the situation worse, not better, then more injuries etc etc - a downward spiral. Has there been two matches running in which the same team has been fielded?
There is no panacea. Adams and Blackwell aren't bad managers - their record tells you that and the players aren't bad players. They are all suffering from being strangers to each others and associated with this is a lack of confidence in their own performance and that of the rest of the team.

Now it looks like relegation is a distinct probability rather than a posibility that introduces a new dynamic - some players who would stay if we were in the Championship will be planning to escape if we go down. I think now it is more important to plan for the longer term than manically trhrowing money and effort trying unsuccessfully to avoid the drop. Let some of the players go now, including some of the loan players, try to introduce some level of consistency in the side and with the team tactics between now and the end of the season and look out for players for next year who will become available in the summer. Relax because panic is not working Micky

It says that like plenty of sides before we chucked a 2 goal lead away - unfortunately it has probably sealed our fate but it happens and more so I assume when you have awful players. But for me the players did their job of turning up and playing football to the best of their ability on the given night imo. It wasn't good enough and we lost. Plenty clapped em off at the end amidst the booing.

Disagree Mic, I've had a thread saying why there was applause at the end. It was because of the players that had the guts to show up at the Blades end. The inept players who didn't try were the ones who f'd off down the tunnel as soon as the whistle went. There was applause for the five, and only five, that came over because they weren't to blame in most people's opinion I assume: Ched, Quinn, Riise, Boggy and Lowton. I'll excuse Lowry as he was sent off and I think he'd have been over to us but the rest - the likes of Yeates, Doyle and Collins for example - were nowhere to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom