The Squad Game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Clough is playing it perfect.

I've spouted the line 'Teams don't win promotion, squads do' since the start of the season, and the recent run is backing this up now.

At the start of the season, and I'm sure some still do, people compare our team to that of Bristol City or Preston - "we havent got an Agaard", or why aren't we "looking for a Garner" etc etc. The thing is, yes we may not have these 'stellar' strikers, but what neither of these teams have is Doyle/Wallace/Reed/McGinn fighting for two positions, or Scougall/Murphy/Baxter/JCR/Davies/Flynn battling for 3 shirts. McNulty and Higdon, one having been eased into things, the other rusty are now showing glimpses that they are capable of scoring regularly (they are scoring regularly in fact).

We're in a position now where we don't need a first 11, you take a combination of any of the above named players in their position and its been provided that these can win games.

The players are playing for each other - McNulty starts a game, if he doesn't score Higdon is coming on and rescuing the strikers with goals and vice versa. Baxter replacing Scougall to great effect. McEveley playing anywhere and Harris now flourishing back at left back.

The big thing for me is getting McCarthy back on loan for the season, you feel confident that any of the other centre backs is comfortable with playing alongside him, and together with Howard and Doyle can form a solid spine to the team.

As a result of this squad our team will get stronger, especially after Christmas, whilst other teams will take hits, I'm sure of it.

Clough has built his squad, and is using is beautifully.

Almost my point exactly for a while now, yes we aren't pulling up trees (yet) but when December and January arrive almost certainly with injuries and suspensions, the blades will be the only team with so many interchangeable players, we no longer have one single player we cannot do without, any can come in and do the same job as the injured/suspended/cup tied player and I honestly believe when the Xmas period is in full swing we will see many teams dropping points because of the loss of players, where for example would chezzy be without doyles goals?
Sit back and enjoy the ride blades.

Howard

Alcock - Basham - McCarthy - Harris

Doyle - Wallace

Murphy - Baxter - JCR

McNulty

or

Turner

Davies - McGahey - Collins - McEveley

Reed - McGinn

Flynn - Scougall - ??

Higdon

Only one attacker short of 2 decent teams. Perhaps Diego when back.

Almost my point exactly for a while now, yes we aren't pulling up trees (yet) but when December and January arrive almost certainly with injuries and suspensions, the blades will be the only team with so many interchangeable players, we no longer have one single player we cannot do without, any can come in and do the same job as the injured/suspended/cup tied player and I honestly believe when the Xmas period is in full swing we will see many teams dropping points because of the loss of players, where for example would chezzy be without doyles goals?
Sit back and enjoy the ride blades.

Good observation Roller, I noticed earlier on that our manager was referred to as negative Nigel for playing with one player upfront, well I suppose as a paper exercise that might appear negative, but we're collecting points, our overall performances are decent, and we have good players throughout the squad. So, a good thing this game isn't played on paper.........the expectation that we should exploit every opportunity within the first 30 minutes and come in at halftime 2 or 3 goals to the good is rare for most teams. As far as I can see we're a confident, organised side with good players capable of making a difference where it matters, UTB

Alcock/JCR and Harris/Murphy are also very good combinations. Murphy has been much better since Harris came back in and started playing well.

I'm a big fan of Harris's. I said as much on the favourite players thread. A big part of our success last season was down to attacking full backs and, for all that McCeverley is steady enough, he doesn't offer much going forwards, so, without Harris and Brayford in the team, we were lacking in a big way in this area. A few of our goals have come from Harris crosses this season, including big cup goals at West Ham and last night, I believe.

I'd also point out that his corners have been pretty good. Definitely better than Davies's have been this season.

Bob is one I hope we keep hold of for a long time to come.

I would still like us to sign a good attacking right back though, because we don't have one at present.

We'll finish second. Don't ask me how I know, because I can't tell you. Too much risk of a butterfly effect. UTB!

Totally agree latter's...I live in hope of the Beard. In the Championship we become even more attractive.

Good observation Roller, I noticed earlier on that our manager was referred to as negative Nigel for playing with one player upfront, well I suppose as a paper exercise that might appear negative, but we're collecting points, our overall performances are decent, and we have good players throughout the squad. So, a good thing this game isn't played on paper.........the expectation that we should exploit every opportunity within the first 30 minutes and come in at halftime 2 or 3 goals to the good is rare for most teams. As far as I can see we're a confident, organised side with good players capable of making a difference where it matters, UTB
I think we are sticking to the same system for the next few years and if we go up this season then we will be hard to beat in the Championship division. Happy with that!

I prefer the negative game, if we were spanking every team we play instead of doing the steady eddy, how long would it be before some big time Charlie came waving a wad of notes under Nigel's nose.....

Softly softly catchee monkey ......:)

UTB

I think we are sticking to the same system for the next few years and if we go up this season then we will be hard to beat in the Championship division. Happy with that!

I'm with you there Silent. Without intending to sound too unadventurous, making us hard to beat has to be a priority. If Clough and his team can create a culture of dogged persistence, with a dash of flair, I doubt you or I will be disappointed. Building from the back is received wisdom throughout football, and as things stand we're looking like a side that's mean, no-nonsense, and playing to a system. If that's what's going to get us into the Championship, providing a platform that incoming players can fit into, then I doubt there'll be too many Blades who'll complain (I wrote that last bit with my tongue in cheek. I think there'll always be a strain of supporter for which complaining is an addiction).

Back
Top Bottom