The Scoogall "Rugby Tackle" in close up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The really dirty trip on Woody (who had a lengthy treatment from Cec Coldwell afterwards) in the last 10 mins of our home game against Man U in Sept 1972 but the ref "feeling guilty about it" awarded us a penalty (Woody converted it with a lot of power as if he was still angry about the earlier incident) in the last minute for "nothing". Frank O'Farrell (Man U's manager) accused the ref of trying to even things up.

I have no recollection of the trip on Woodward but I do recall thinking it was a "soft" penalty. Am I right, Silent, that it was a push on one of our players by Wyn Davies?

On the subject of bad decisions on penalties, I always thought that one of the worst I ever saw was a last-minute penalty awarded to West Ham at Upton Park in the early nineties. We were leading one-nil and Tom Cowan heroically won a one-on-one challenge with one of their players (Brown?) to head it back to our keeper. To general astonishment, the ref gave a pen - duly converted - and took no action against the West Ham player for having a kick at Cowan while he was on the floor. Never a penalty in a million years.

I have no recollection of the trip on Woodward but I do recall thinking it was a "soft" penalty. Am I right, Silent, that it was a push on one of our players by Wyn Davies?

On the subject of bad decisions on penalties, I always thought that one of the worst I ever saw was a last-minute penalty awarded to West Ham at Upton Park in the early nineties. We were leading one-nil and Tom Cowan heroically won a one-on-one challenge with one of their players (Brown?) to head it back to our keeper. To general astonishment, the ref gave a pen - duly converted - and took no action against the West Ham player for having a kick at Cowan while he was on the floor. Never a penalty in a million years.
In the last minute of that Man U game, Woody took a corner from the left at the BL end and it missed everyone in the box. The ref blew his whistle, pointed to the penalty box and indicated that a Man U player had his hands on a Blades player shoulder to prevent him from jumping up. Until I saw your post, for 42 years I never knew which Man U player and Blades player he meant and now you said it was Wyn Davies so you are probably right!

I was at that West Ham game too. My dad and I were sat next to Brian Moore, his son and daughter in law (my dad got complimentary tickets from West Ham cos he complained about having a poor view from his seat in the 5-0 defeat in March 1990) and yes, that was a shocking decision by the ref too.

Back
Top Bottom