The Norwood Effect

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If Norwood is a Bently , then Leon Clark is a ......
200w.gif
Dont exactly agree with the sentiment but have a like for making me piss myself!

Just hope Norwood doesn’t get “homesick” or his family don’t settle in Sheffield.(like Leon Britton.) He’s spent a lot of time in the south.

Pretty sure one of the reasons he came here is because he was fed up of being Daan Saaf and wanted to settle his family Oop North

What is slightly mysterious to me that Norwood is 27, clearly a brilliant footballer, and one I have been raving about since the Fulham game last season. But although he was with a premier league club having been promoted with Brighton, he seems to be largely unknown outside of those clubs he has played for. And the fee we apparently paid shows that he wasn't even so highly rated at Brighton. Comparing him to Fleck, who might be expected to go for around £10m, it seems ridiculous. I'd be interested to know if anyone agrees, and has any theories for why etc ?.

Whisper it quietly, but maybe our scouting system isn't as shambolic as some think? And maybe CW and his team see things in a player that would fit seamlessly into our style, rather than employ a scattergun approach to transfers - like Wednesday?

Dictates the play so well both on and off the ball. If he isn't in space to recieve the pass, he just points where that ball should go instead & then calmly makes his way over there to pick it up from that player.

Such a joy to watch and on this early evidence he is an absolute steal.

This guy was quality again today. There are obvious comparisons to Coutts, very similar in style, positioning and general quality.

Is he definitely contractually bound to sign for us permanently in January?

Would be very Bladey if he was recalled and sold to somebody offering more for him.

Chris said it was a permanent transfer in all but name, as in I suspect the permanent transfer fee has already been agreed and everything signed so it's just case of paying them in January? Not quite sure if anything could scupper it, but it seems unlikely.

Chris said it was a permanent transfer in all but name, as in I suspect the permanent transfer fee has already been agreed and everything signed so it's just case of paying them in January? Not quite sure if anything could scupper it, but it seems unlikely.

supposed to be a done deal

Ollie wasn't happy when told it had to be a loan but calmed down when said perm in Jan

What a transformation he’s made to the midfield already!!. Fleck and Duffy have the freedom to go forward!!. His reading of the game is something we’ve not had in a while. Let’s just hope we can get a striker in?. UTB

I’ve not seen Norwood yet but was extremely pleased we could land him, he’s looked great whenever I’ve seen him on telly and thought he stood out against us for Fulham. I like the strikers we have but one more hungry good one would be great.

You've got to give Wilder huge credit for bringing Norwood in.

Not because he is a top draw signing, or for the modest feels, but for having the humility to say "I got it wrong" with Lee Evans by moving him on.

You've got to give Wilder huge credit for bringing Norwood in.

Not because he is a top draw signing, or for the modest feels, but for having the humility to say "I got it wrong" with Lee Evans by moving him on.
Evans asked to leave when Wigan expressed an interest and Wilder didn't stand in his way. The genius was in signing Norwood. I don't know if we planned to sign Norwood anyway regardless of Evans leaving or if it was a response to that.

I hope all those that couldn't fathom why we let Evans go and thought he offered our team something are eating their words.

As I said all along, he is not a patch on Coutts, and as it turns out Norwood as well.

The difference in quality between Evans (and Lundstram for that matter) and Norwood is too big to describe.

Only seen him myself once (vs Norwich) but that combined with what others have said about other games makes me think we've got hold of an absolute gem. Seems like when Norwood plays, Fleck is at his best, which is frankly unplayable. We are blessed to have Norwood and Fleck playing together, and if (it's a big IF) Coutts comes back to his previous (pre-injury) form then in those 3 we will surely have one of the best midfields in this division.

Norwood is an incredible signing. Credit to Wilder and the board for making it happen.

Only seen him myself once (vs Norwich) but that combined with what others have said about other games makes me think we've got hold of an absolute gem. Seems like when Norwood plays, Fleck is at his best, which is frankly unplayable. We are blessed to have Norwood and Fleck playing together, and if (it's a big IF) Coutts comes back to his previous (pre-injury) form then in those 3 we will surely have one of the best midfields in this division.

Norwood is an incredible signing. Credit to Wilder and the board for making it happen.

Norwood has lit Flecks touch paper no doubt they get on like a house on fire, so where does Coutts fit in?

Norwood has lit Flecks touch paper no doubt they get on like a house on fire, so where does Coutts fit in?

Norwood is Coutts. A player who'll always drop deep to receive the ball and get keep the play moving, dictating the tempo.

That role is the most important in the way we play, and the void left by Coutts' absence last season was there for all to see.

Lundstram couldn't fill it, Evans couldn't. Norwood certainly has.

I'm struggling to see how we can have them both in the same team. But if one isn't available, we no longer fall apart due to having an inadequate replacement.

Norwood is Coutts. A player who'll always drop deep to receive the ball and get keep the play moving, dictating the tempo.

That role is the most important in the way we play, and the void left by Coutts' absence last season was there for all to see.

Lundstram couldn't fill it, Evans couldn't. Norwood certainly has.

I'm struggling to see how we can have them both in the same team. But if one isn't available, we no longer fall apart due to having an inadequate replacement.

So if both are fit who do you play Steve?

If only we could have signed Norwood immediately after the Coutts injury at Burton last season we would almost certainly have finished in the top six.We now know for sure that Evans and Lundstram were just never going to be good enough to get us promoted,you can't turn ordinary players into real quality with the natural ability that Norwood and Coutts have.

So if both are fit who do you play Steve?

It's definitely Norwood's to lose at the moment.

The problem for me is that having both in the same team would mean sacrificing a striker, or Duffy, or changing the system altogether and playing four at the back.

All could potentially work, but I think we look our best when Duffy's on the pitch, playing behind two strikers.

As good as a midfield of Coutts, Norwood, Fleck and Duffy sounds, we'd have to lose something elsewhere. If Wilder reckons it's worth it, to the benefit of the team, then I'm all for giving it a try.

They’ll both be in the team. Quite right too. Quality players know how to play together, even if fans don’t quite understand it.

We know that's now always the case from the various examples throughout history.

I'd love to see them both play together if it made us better as a team. However we can't play them both in their best roles at the same time. We can't have two players constantly dropping deep for the ball, and I don't think you'd deploy either further up the pitch instead of Fleck or Duffy.

Fucking brilliant problem to have that Wilder's brain is much more capable of sussing out than any of ours.

What went wrong with Steven Gerard and Frank Lampard then? Both looked very average when playing in the same England team.

You picked the wrong person to ask about England Wank, I’m afraid.

Quite why people don’t want two genuine quality players in the team I don’t know? Happily Tufty will certainly do so.

Let’s bring back Monty and Doyle and keep you all happy. I’ll be in the minority favouring proper football and proper footballers.

Back
Top Bottom