The New King of Forums

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TheKQuickBlade

Reaction score
I've been a blade for about 7 years. During my time as a blade I have seen many bad things happen (a good example would be our relegation from the Premiership) but going down to League 1 tops it all.
Out of all the players I've seen down at the lane, I'd say the best player on the ball has to be someone like Danny Webber. But if your talking the physical side of football it has to be Darius Henderson.
Overall though I think Marcus Bent (in terms of his ability not what he's actually achieved) is the best player to ever be at the lane. It was a privalage to have such a good player and it's a shame we didn't use him.

UP THE BLADES

Are you a windup merchant? You obviously didn't see Bent when he was first here? He was shocking this season when he came back on loan.

Welcome to the forum though mate! Up The Blades.

:D welcum ...................you'll fit in well here ! .................. Macus Bent .................... I wudn't let him take TC's dog for a walk.

I've been a blade for about 7 years. During my time as a blade I have seen many bad things happen (a good example would be our relegation from the Premiership) but going down to League 1 tops it all.
Out of all the players I've seen down at the lane, I'd say the best player on the ball has to be someone like Danny Webber. But if your talking the physical side of football it has to be Darius Henderson.
Overall though I think Marcus Bent (in terms of his ability not what he's actually achieved) is the best player to ever be at the lane. It was a privalage to have such a good player and it's a shame we didn't use him.

UP THE BLADES

Welcome to the forum. First question, are you on glue? If you've been a Blade for 7 years, you're telling me that Marcus Bent has better ability than Phil Jagielka or James Beattie?
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but for godssakes, Marcus Bent??????

I know most blades fans aren't a fan of Marcus Bent, but I know that if Bent would have started more games (and been given a better chance) he would have finished on a decent goal tally (my rough guess about 7 or 8 goals). If you look at him when he's on the ball you can tell he is a very good player. Bent has a decent shot, very good strengh on the ball and overall one of the best players I've ever seen in the air (if you don't believe me on that one look at the chance he set Henderson up with when we were drawing with Middlesborough).
But I also tottally agree with you about James Beattie and Phil Jagielka. Let's not forget though that Jags didn't really have 'ability' on the ball. Yes he was a great centre-half and new how to tackle (and shoot on several occasions) but he never really held onto the ball and moved with it. If anything, Jagielka was more of a pass and move player if he was playing in central midfield. What I'm talking about is your overall control on the ball which Marcus Bent excelled at.
And as for James Beattie..yea he was a very good player (he finished on something like 22 goals didn't he?) but weren't about 10 of those from free-kicks and penalties. And when he didn't score from dead ball situations he usually did it by headers or tap-ins. So again, Beattie didn't have the overall ability that Bent does.
As you said though that's your opinion. I've followed Bent at different clubs (Wolves, Birmingham etc and doesn't that prove he has good Premiership Expierience?) and I know he would have done well at The Lane if given a proper chance.

I know most blades fans aren't a fan of Marcus Bent, but I know that if Bent would have started more games (and been given a better chance) he would have finished on a decent goal tally (my rough guess about 7 or 8 goals). If you look at him when he's on the ball you can tell he is a very good player. Bent has a decent shot, very good strengh on the ball and overall one of the best players I've ever seen in the air (if you don't believe me on that one look at the chance he set Henderson up with when we were drawing with Middlesborough).
But I also tottally agree with you about James Beattie and Phil Jagielka. Let's not forget though that Jags didn't really have 'ability' on the ball. Yes he was a great centre-half and new how to tackle (and shoot on several occasions) but he never really held onto the ball and moved with it. If anything, Jagielka was more of a pass and move player if he was playing in central midfield. What I'm talking about is your overall control on the ball which Marcus Bent excelled at.
And as for James Beattie..yea he was a very good player (he finished on something like 22 goals didn't he?) but weren't about 10 of those from free-kicks and penalties. And when he didn't score from dead ball situations he usually did it by headers or tap-ins. So again, Beattie didn't have the overall ability that Bent does.
As you said though that's your opinion. I've followed Bent at different clubs (Wolves, Birmingham etc and doesn't that prove he has good Premiership Expierience?) and I know he would have done well at The Lane if given a proper chance.

Nurse, nurse!!!!!

As you said though that's your opinion. I've followed Bent at different clubs (Wolves, Birmingham etc and doesn't that prove he has good Premiership Expierience?) and I know he would have done well at The Lane if given a proper chance.[/QUOTE]

So in one breath, you castigate Beattie for scoring free kicks and penalties, then in the next state that when he didn't score from dead ball situations, he usually scored from tap in's or headers. The worst kind of goals of course, considering that every goal that we Blades fans expect to see should be a replica of Brazil's 4th in the 1970 World Cup Final.

Pray tell, what is this overall ability that Marcus Bent has over James Beattie? I don't recall Bent scoring 30 yard free kicks in consecutive games for the Blades, nor even notching 22 goals in a season.

Bent has had a good career, but overall, he can't hold a torch to Beattie, who has scored goals in the top division on a regular basis, and in 02/03 or 03/04 I believe was the top scoring Englishman in the top division with around 22/23.

BTW, Marcus Bent did do well at Bramall Lane, between around December 1999 - November 2000. As usual, he was sold, this time to Blackburn for £2.25m.

Like the one he smashed wide from about 6 yards out in front of the Kop.

You don't fancy being an Official Spokesman do you KQ? Only Trig is a bit busy with Len these days.

My, aren't the welcoming committee erm... welcoming :)

A very warm welcome to the forum from me and a reminder to all respondents of this thread that this is a place where honestly held opinions can be debated respectfully... not with cheap one-liners and in-jokes.

Welcome to the forum Marcus

My, aren't the welcoming committee erm... welcoming :)

A very warm welcome to the forum from me and a reminder to all respondents of this thread that this is a place where honestly held opinions can be debated respectfully... not with cheap one-liners and in-jokes.

Sure it wasn't a Foxy/Linz wind up cus the board was slow?

I remember Marcus Bent in the ShittyAle cup at the sty where he missed a sitter form abour ten inches out. He's not got any better in the last decade.

Anyway, welcome. We're all mental here. You'll fit right in.:D

Back
Top Bottom