Match Thread The Mighty Blades v Middlesboro

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not_a_Cheat

Reaction score
So back in action again on live TV, tonight with visit of Middlesboro to BDBL. After Friday's disappointment, it's now very important to get all 3 points in this one. Sure to be keenly contested game, and Boro will be very strong and organised under Pulis....

Anyway...

Any team news? :)

Unchanged where possible from the last game?

Cranie coming in for Basham?

Hogan appearing from the bench at some point?

So hopefully the lads can react in a positive way despite how they were pegged back on Friday. Middlesboro also suffered a similar fate v Leeds on Saturday...

I'm very tense about this game, but think we should have just enough if the substitutions aren't stupid... 2-1 Blades win with a vague chance to go second ;)

UTB

I think we'll start at 100mph, vitally important we get the first goal in this game. Think we can trust the players to show a reaction to Friday.

I’d bring Mcgoldrick and Duffy back in.

As well as Madine played at Villa we aren’t going to out Musscle a Pulis team so we need to outplay them.

Duffy at home edges it in front of Dowell as well for me.

Cranie who is likely to come in for Bash will be tested by set piece and long throw as is Henderson who I am certain will be targeted.

Boro have a great away record and a point would normally not be too shabby in this fixture, but the way results have gone since Friday both this and Reading are pretty much must wins if top two is not to stat sliping away.

I have concerns about this one tbh. A lot will depend on how much of a mental impact Friday’s finish has had on the team, and how we start the game. I also worry that we have a lot of complacency reading things on here – Boro have an excellent away record, we are not Newport in awful conditions, and most Boro fans have a default anti-Pulis stance so tend to undervalue their current abilities IMHO.

Think we’ll start really well and try to blow them away 1st half.
Feel confident we’ll be leading 1-0 or 2-0.

The key is at what stage will the players see the finish line and start to think we’ll try and hold our for the win. If it’s 5 minutes from the end then fine but if we starting sitting back 20 minutes from time then could get nervy.

My prediction is we’ll lead 2-0 and again look impressive.
Then we’ll sit back defending in numbers with Boro piling on the pressure and pulling a late goal back.

However this time we’ll hold out and earn a nervous ending 2-1 win.
Scorers: Sharp and Madine
Attendance 24,487.

This really shouldn't have been the high pressure game it is. A draw would've been just fine but for that fucking stupidity on Friday, but now it isn't and we need to win.

It's extremely hard to call. A draw seems the most likely. What seems nailed on is a tight game. They've only lost twice away and no Basham weakens us.

Cut out the daft mistakes and make logical substitutions and we should have a good chance of winning. The first goal would also help massively, as always.

Henderson, wake up, don't be cocky or complacent and do what you need to do.

Wilder, with the subs maybe try making your own mind up or listening to the football staff and not the sports science people for a change?

Wilder, with the subs maybe try making your own mind up or listening to the football staff and not the sports science people for a change?

He makes his mind up based on the evidence available. It was clear on Friday that Madine and Dowell were tiring – if I can see that on the TV, you can bet that the sports science data was probably picking up on it before. We can debate whether who replaced them was correct, but I don’t think it’s fair to criticise based on not knowing the information we obviously don’t have sight of but the manager clearly does.

The results speak for themselves. We’re 3rd with a squad that has had zero injuries to the first XI. That suggests that Wilder’s use of sports science data might actually be having a fairly good effect.

He makes his mind up based on the evidence available. It was clear on Friday that Madine and Dowell were tiring – if I can see that on the TV, you can bet that the sports science data was probably picking up on it before. We can debate whether who replaced them was correct, but I don’t think it’s fair to criticise based on not knowing the information we obviously don’t have sight of but the manager clearly does.

The results speak for themselves. We’re 3rd with a squad that has had zero injuries to the first XI. That suggests that Wilder’s use of sports science data might actually be having a fairly good effect.

We have a great fitness record and that will have something to do with it. But players don't get injured every time they hit their 'red zone', and they aren't necessarily of no use because they're tired.

His substitutions have a negative effect late in games a disproportionately high percentage of the time. Mostly due to who he brings on and any formation changes, but I think it would also help if he wasn't seemingly dictated to by sports science data.

I have accepted that Flint is going to score from a set piece.

Beyond that, this is tough to call.

I think we play the best football in the division.

As we know, it’s entertaining but doesn’t always win you games. As the league table indicates though, it does more often than not.

High tempo, quality play with our best players on the pitch (including Duffy ffs) and we will win this. It will naturally be nervy, but we should fear no one and expect to win at home against Boro.

Lewis Wing who scored v Leeds is a doubt for Boro,groin I think,subbed off on 64 minutes...Pulls also blamed tiredness for conceding late...mind you it was the 110th minute....Hopefully the extra days rest for us will benefit us late in the game,and we unleash Dowell to run at them off the bench,he had a good game on friday,and could even start..Would be good to see Hogan at some point aswell.

“Now is the time to be more together than ever before"

“This needs to be more than an individual effort, more than a team effort"

“It needs to be a whole club push to ensure we give it the best possible shot of reaching our goal.”

- Chris Wilder

Sorry Chris, it's the team or referee's job to ignite the crowd, as per usual.

Incidentally, 'that' part of BLUT is completely available for this game, and most others.
I’ll not be providing any vocal backing.
Being entertained is my right.
I am prepared to boo if we’re not winning and winning handsomely by half time.

I have concerns about this one tbh. A lot will depend on how much of a mental impact Friday’s finish has had on the team, and how we start the game. I also worry that we have a lot of complacency reading things on here – Boro have an excellent away record, we are not Newport in awful conditions, and most Boro fans have a default anti-Pulis stance so tend to undervalue their current abilities IMHO.

^^^this^^^

Lewis Wing who scored v Leeds is a doubt for Boro,groin I think,subbed off on 64 minutes...

Lewis Wing signed from Shildon Town in the summer, at 23 he's been probably the best player for 'boro this season. Search the lower leagues and you might find a gem.

According to the Beeb we’re unbeaten in 12 league games at home played on a Wednesday. Last loss was 1-0 to Norwich City in March 1993.

I’m posting this safe in the knowledge that it definitely won’t jinx this evening’s result...

Team news is in:

Cranie, Duffy, McGoldrick in. JOC out. Madine out. Dowell starts.

I reckon Dowell will be at LWB, Stevens to LCB. Just a hunch, and minimises the changes in shape.

Must be 4-4-2 then.
Having to change formation because we don’t have proven quality cover for JOC

I’d rather have gone with Jake Wright If hes fit. Presumably he’s not?

Team news is in:

I reckon Dowell will be at LWB, Stevens to LCB. Just a hunch, and minimises the changes in shape.

We'll I'm lost???
How's the defence work, this is an odd setup to me??

and that ends that run of consecutive appearances. Was about to say that must be a different formation

Team news is in:

Is this the first indication that CW has been told to blow the auto chances by the owners?

Back
Top Bottom