The Great Jimmy Hagan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A bit late in the day, but I've managed to find this...
View attachment 40553
Magic compilation, what a team that would be. Having seen him many times, reading much about him and hearing stories form others over the years I'm certain he could play all positions comfortably. Even in goal, another candidate for United goalies blog. Photographic evidence mi lud.

Magic compilation, what a team that would be. Having seen him many times, reading much about him and hearing stories form others over the years I'm certain he could play all positions comfortably. Even in goal, another candidate for United goalies blog. Photographic evidence mi lud.

Someone must have spent a lot of time with scissors and paste. No photoshop in those days!

A true labour of love.

Met him at a Gentlemans Evening at Abbeydale where he was the guest of honour. His wife was with him. Signed my programme, such a great man I walked away because he'd made me feel as if he'd been pleased to meet me. Programme also signed by Joe Shaw and Tony Currie.

Some great names there, everyone a gentleman, Tommy Hoyland, Graham Shaw, Redfearn Froggat, Don Megson and many more.

Met him at a Gentlemans Evening at Abbeydale where he was the guest of honour. His wife was with him. Signed my programme, such a great man I walked away because he'd made me feel as if he'd been pleased to meet me. Programme also signed by Joe Shaw and Tony Currie.

Some great names there, everyone a gentleman, Tommy Hoyland, Graham Shaw, Redfearn Froggat, Don Megson and many more.

I was at the same event.

I sat with Keith Edwards on my right and Don Megson on my left , both terrific company and I too got the great man's autograph. Great night.

Looks like Whitely Woods. The only doubt is that it is not covered in 3 feet of mud.
I've stumbled on another photo from the same shoot, it may help identify the location. Trouble is, don't know how to up load the photo. I have made one attempt and lost the complete post, must be somewhere in the ether of the internet, or in Foxy's back pocket. Bugger. Please elucidate so I may make another attempt. I thank you.

He got sent off in the 7-1 home win against Swansea in December 1952. According to a friend (who is a Wendy fan and will be 80 this year), the crowd went berserk and threw oranges and bananas at the ref

My Dad always tells me the day Hagan got sent off was the one and only time he ever heard his Dad swear, so it must have provoked some emotion as you say, Silent!

My Granddad went to live to 80 and my Dad is 80 now and still going strong.

Whilst he appreciated Currie, his opinion has always been that Hagan was United's best ever player.

There was also the element that after 7 years Currie decided to further his career at other clubs, whereas Hagan stayed at United for 20 years. Currie scored 54 in 313 matches for United, while good in itself, makes the figures of Hagan all the more remarkable - 117 in 361. Currie made 17 international appearances, scoring three time. Hagan, including the war years made the same, scoring 11.

0DFDFA8E-1694-4C26-838D-286E9FD8C062.png
I've stumbled on another photo from the same shoot, it may help identify the location. Trouble is, don't know how to up load the photo. I have made one attempt and lost the complete post, must be somewhere in the ether of the internet, or in Foxy's back pocket. Bugger. Please elucidate so I may make another attempt. I thank you.
Have you tried the upload file button on the bottom right?

View attachment 40611
Have you tried the upload file button on the bottom right?
Second attempt, thank you Bushy B., I have no knowledge of Whitely Woods a little posh for me around there as a lad, not that I'm not posh just Hollinsend posh. I used to go to Endcliffe Park, believe close by, Saturday mornings mid 50's. Place was full of lads playing football. Self organised games, different ages literally jumpers for goalposts just turn up with your boots. Anyhow hope the photo helps.

Attachments

• Jimmy Hagan coaching King Edwards School believed Whitley Woods mid late 50'smp-p009862-1669849.jpg
    Jimmy Hagan coaching King Edwards School believed Whitley Woods mid late 50'smp-p009862-1669849.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 13
Second attempt, thank you Bushy B., I have no knowledge of Whitely Woods a little posh for me around there as a lad, not that I'm not posh just Hollinsend posh. I used to go to Endcliffe Park, believe close by, Saturday mornings mid 50's. Place was full of lads playing football. Self organised games, different ages literally jumpers for goalposts just turn up with your boots. Anyhow hope the photo helps.
The goal in the background is the far end of the bottom pitch at Whitely Woods. Great picture. We really were privileged at King Teds - I didn't know Hagan had coached there, but I was lucky enough to have had a number of sessions with Hodgy and Summers, doing work towards their coaching badges, I assume. No fault of theirs, but we were still rubbish at football.

Back
Top Bottom