The Contenders

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are Terry and Lampard serious shouts? I know neither of them "need" a big salary, but don't see either of them accepting anything this side of 100k per week.

FF may have been on near that at Chelski but is now on nothing (will have got a decent payoff) and no way is Terry on that as an assistant even with the money Villa chuck about.

Lampard and Terry combo?

What about Gerrard? The Adventures of Stevie G has a certain ring to it :tumbleweed:

Lampard is a funny one. I think it is only fair to recognise his single season at Derby as a success (6th place and PO final not easy to achieve no matter who you are), but his spell at Chelsea will widely be considered failure. I guess by Chelsea's standards and expectations it was, and he did fail to get consistently good results despite spending mega in the summer.

However, I think his 1st season with Chelsea was actually perfectly respectable. 4th place under embargo was about as good as it could realistically have gone for Chelsea at that time I think.

I think that the 'failure' at Chelsea tag will prevent most PL sides from being interested in him and think that Howe is the more likely of the two to have broader options.
I think both would prefer the Palace job for obvious reasons.

How fans are quite insular and take time to accept outsiders.
So generally we prefer someone who has personality and character....someone who calls a spade a spade.

Although Eddie Howe had a great reputation...he’s speaks like a boring politician...he’ll need to start well to be even half accepted.
Doubt Frank Lampard will want the hassle....we aren’t fashionable enough for him and he‘s too fancy for Sheffield so won’t be initially accepted either.
John Terry has the character to deal with hassle...he won’t be accepted but he’ll cope......no experience though.

I think who ever takes over will have a really difficult job because most of tbe players are only average Championship standard but a vocal minority will expect us to win the league and will be putting the players and manager under pressure from the first game.

It's so difficult because they are all a big step down from Wilder for so many reasons but we have to look forward and accept we're going to get a poorer manager.

Being saying all weekend this is very similar to the Henderson situation in the fact that whoever we get is going to be a downgrade. It's just how much of a downgrade.

I'm not a fan of Howe but that is mainly due to his transfer market failings, if we are taking that responsibility away from him then he's a more attractive proposition because he's a good coach and plays attractive, attacking football.

Spot on there. Some of his signings have been terrible and at quite a large cost but I think he's a great coach so if he has help on the transfer front then he may not be the worst shout.

He probably was on £75k a week at Chelsea. FL comes across as a smart man, surely he'll realise not many other clubs will pay that.

If he wants to continue as a manger he would have to take a pay cut. I do wonder what Derby were paying him though.
Not sure I trust google but Lampard is down as 50k at Derby, and Terry 75k at Villa as assistant.

Not posted for a while. Mixture of lockdown blues and a feeling of detachment to my football club and football in general. The events over the last few days have been hard to stomach and not what any of us wanted at all. I personally believe the writing has been on the wall for a while and it didn't come as a total shock for me.

However - a manger has left, we need a new one, and with that brings a sense of nervousness, but also a sense of excitement of what would happen if we appointed 'x', 'y' or 'z' and a step into the unknown.

Some names have been popping around in the media, including today in The Sun, who, like it or not, do seem to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to us.

So, if they are right and with the other names quoted it would appear currently in the running we have;

Eddie Howe

Pros: 'Modern manager', experience of the Championship & promotion, press friendly, would probably work with DOF

Cons: That stint with Burnley (or is this unfair given how long ago it was), would he have the instant buy in of the players, AFCB went downhill very sharply

Frank Lampard

Pros: Well respected by players, Championship experience, adopted attractive football at Derby & Chelsea, contacts within the game

Cons: His he experienced enough to cope with the environment he'll walk into?

Derek McInnes

Pros: Someone help me out

Cons: Aberdeen fans seem relieved he's gone, boring football

Slavan Bilic

Pros: Championship experience & promotion, fire in his belly (which I think our fans appreciate), foreign contacts

Cons: Anyone?

John Terry (only put this in here because it'd be my preference)

Pros: Impressed as assistant, put the graft in (ie not jumped straight into management), contacts, respect of players (?), DOF model would suit, thick skinned (whoever takes over will need that)

Cons: Totally inexperienced, would our fans accept him

Hope everyone on this board is in good health and its good to be back(ish).

HCDM
I would not be too upset if we got one of Howe, Lampard or Bilic as for McInnes he's hardly lit up Scotland has he? I remember him scoring for WBA at Lane from about 35 miles out but is he the one I don't think so..

In respect of the last one John Terry I would not like him within 100 miles of our club for one he's a racist, and 2 if it's got a pulse he'll hump it he'd fuck a frog if he could stop it jumping.

Did anyone actually watch last seasons performance from Bournemouth at BDTBL and not be completely appalled by their pathetic cheating?
Eddie Howe did that! That level of shithousery begins and ends with the manager and he can fuck the fuck right fucking off if he wants us to be like that.
Southern fucking nonce!

Given how sad it all seems to be at this very moment, I think the players need someone who can command their instant respect... otherwise its going to be more of the same. So I would suggest someone like Rafa Benitez. Remember, he got Newcastle straight back up, so he knows the Championship. Frank Lampard might also fall into the same category... but of course the jury is still out on him.

Otherwise a European coach could be a way forward... the one at Norwich being the example. But that needs time and good direction.

The likes of Bilic and Howe are already yesterday. The same might be said for Wilder. He's not done at all well this last year.

Danny Cowley for me. Young, hard working, hopefully ambitious.

Wouldn't be my personal choice (he's meant to be absolutely full of himself and a total c0ck!) but as I posted on a separate thread, I learned earlier that he (and his brother) have been sounded-out. I assume that was part of the initial sweep sweep across a number of potential candidates, some of which have been mentioned above e.g. Appleton, McInnes.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/edd...ainer/10976/plus/0/galerie/0?station_id=34658

asked a Burnley fan the other day what he thought of Howe and he said his team played decent football but they didn’t back him with enough for transfers , the link backs that up but there’s some good names on there for not a lot of money !
Surprised how many players on the link though for the time he was there but we’d take the likes of Ings and Vokes for 1.5m wouldn’t we ?

Last edited:
Is it just me that thinks the Tindall appointment is to ease Eddie Howe into the role?

Not sure who I would want to see but it's clear that whoever gets the job they are not going to please all the fanbase.

One thing I don't want is a sudden revival at the tail end of the season and then there's a big surge in support for Heckingbottom to stay and start the next season, and then be fired after a shaky start, leaving us without a manager after 10 games. Obviously, I do want some kind of fight by the players to start next season on a high, but I don't want the 'caretaker' manager to be given a chance.
For me, and after thinking about it for a while. I don't want a "no nonsense, talks straight, pushes the lads British Manager" - this season has been dire, and there's absolutely no flair, creativity, enjoyment, freedom or fun from the players on the pitch. I want a bit of glamour and excitement.
If he would come (and it would be a big enough challenge for him I feel) I would get Frank Lampard in.
I was really against him during the initial Frank Lampard's Derby Days, but as Ive listened to his interviews, and what he did at Chelsea, I've come to respect him as a person and a manager. We are bigger than Derby, he did OK at Chelsea so I think Lampard tasked with getting us back into the Premier League (possible) would be tempting for him.

One thing I don't want is a sudden revival at the tail end of the season and then there's a big surge in support for Heckingbottom to stay and start the next season, and then be fired after a shaky start, leaving us without a manager after 10 games. Obviously, I do want some kind of fight by the players to start next season on a high, but I don't want the 'caretaker' manager to be given a chance.
For me, and after thinking about it for a while. I don't want a "no nonsense, talks straight, pushes the lads British Manager" - this season has been dire, and there's absolutely no flair, creativity, enjoyment, freedom or fun from the players on the pitch. I want a bit of glamour and excitement.
If he would come (and it would be a big enough challenge for him I feel) I would get Frank Lampard in.
I was really against him during the initial Frank Lampard's Derby Days, but as Ive listened to his interviews, and what he did at Chelsea, I've come to respect him as a person and a manager. We are bigger than Derby, he did OK at Chelsea so I think Lampard tasked with getting us back into the Premier League (possible) would be tempting for him.
That’s why Blackwell got the job

Reactions: HVR
Not posted for a while. Mixture of lockdown blues and a feeling of detachment to my football club and football in general. The events over the last few days have been hard to stomach and not what any of us wanted at all. I personally believe the writing has been on the wall for a while and it didn't come as a total shock for me.

However - a manger has left, we need a new one, and with that brings a sense of nervousness, but also a sense of excitement of what would happen if we appointed 'x', 'y' or 'z' and a step into the unknown.

Some names have been popping around in the media, including today in The Sun, who, like it or not, do seem to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to us.

So, if they are right and with the other names quoted it would appear currently in the running we have;

Eddie Howe

Pros: 'Modern manager', experience of the Championship & promotion, press friendly, would probably work with DOF

Cons: That stint with Burnley (or is this unfair given how long ago it was), would he have the instant buy in of the players, AFCB went downhill very sharply

Frank Lampard

Pros: Well respected by players, Championship experience, adopted attractive football at Derby & Chelsea, contacts within the game

Cons: His he experienced enough to cope with the environment he'll walk into?

Derek McInnes

Pros: Someone help me out

Cons: Aberdeen fans seem relieved he's gone, boring football

Slavan Bilic

Pros: Championship experience & promotion, fire in his belly (which I think our fans appreciate), foreign contacts

Cons: Anyone?

John Terry (only put this in here because it'd be my preference)

Pros: Impressed as assistant, put the graft in (ie not jumped straight into management), contacts, respect of players (?), DOF model would suit, thick skinned (whoever takes over will need that)

Cons: Totally inexperienced, would our fans accept him

Hope everyone on this board is in good health and its good to be back(ish).

HCDM

Your opening line about feeling detached from yoiur football club reminds me of the Adkins season. A season where I felt I couldn't identify myself to the Blades whatsoever.

The list of names fill me with a similar feeling.

Managers (?) who don't know what we are about and will be using a period of time with us to improve their CV and move on.

No thoughts of creating a legacy.

It's depressing

Is Brian the blade available?
I reckon he would take it in a heartbeat 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 10p
How fans are quite insular and take time to accept outsiders.
So generally we prefer someone who has personality and character....someone who calls a spade a spade.

Although Eddie Howe had a great reputation...he’s speaks like a boring politician...he’ll need to start well to be even half accepted.
Doubt Frank Lampard will want the hassle....we aren’t fashionable enough for him and he‘s too fancy for Sheffield so won’t be initially accepted either.
John Terry has the character to deal with hassle...he won’t be accepted but he’ll cope......no experience though.

I think who ever takes over will have a really difficult job because most of tbe players are only average Championship standard but a vocal minority will expect us to win the league and will be putting the players and manager under pressure from the first game.
Perhaps a politician is what we need? I nominate Priti Patel. Woman. Tick. Ethnic minority. Tick. Scares the hell out of me. Tick. No, wait.....

How about Billy and Jags just athought it might keep all players happy ☺

It's concerning we don't get linked with a decent manager Appleton terrible. . Mciness terrible some real dross . I am suprised Billy isn't been asked to coach too though

Whoever comes in needs a budget that is decent

I wouldn't be adverse to Lampard but Howe is my number 1 choice.....

As far as McInnes and Lennon are concerned where do I put my X for Scottish Independence that leaves them north of the border?

wasn't really given long enough at Huddersfield.

He wont be given very long here
The new manager needs to hit the ground running especially with the prospect of fans being back in stadiums

I think Lampard is too inexperienced to take on our job, Terry less experienced and comes accross as a bit of a cunt

Im leaning towards Howe of the ones mentioned, I think we may go down the foreign route

Back
Top Bottom